Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lol imagine if philly fans actually were this delusional

Two Super Bowls? I'm way more delusional than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Three to four is way more likely, but I don't want to sound overly optimistic here.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
https://twitter.com/Eagles/status/846762069420658688

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TheChirurgeon posted:

the 2011 team was really weird. A combination of not having quite enough talent and just being outclassed by the Eagles and Giants. FO has us at 16th on defense and 12th on offense that year, which feels right, particularly for an 8-8 team. Comparatively, the Giants were 7th off/19th def and the Eagles were 8th off/11th def. And even with that, the season hinged on a dropped pass by a wide-open Miles Austin in week 17. But I don't look back and think that Cowboys team would have made the Super Bowl or anything.

Comparatively, 2013 for me is the "Rock Bottom" of "Romo plays out of his goddamn mind with absolutely nothing to show for it" because that's when our defense was so blisteringly, eye-wateringly terrible that no amount of points was ever going to be enough to secure a win for the Cowboys and the only chance we had of winning a given game was based on whether we had the ball last. Another 8-8 season where Romo passed for 3,954 yards with 33 TDs and 12 INTs, which included:
- A 51-48 loss to Denver during Peyton Manning's record-breaking season
- A 31-30 loss to the Lions where the Defense gave up an 80-yard TD drive to Matt Stafford in the last 50 seconds of the game
- A 45-28 loss to the Bears in which the Cowboys turned the ball over 0 times
- A 37-36 loss to the Packers where the Cowboys gave up a 26-3 lead at Halftime and a 36-24 lead with 7 minutes remaining
- A 30-21 loss to the Chargers where the Cowboys gave up a 4th-quarter lead
- A 49-17 loss to the Saints that saw the Cowboys down 35-17 at the start of the 4th quarter (another 0-turnover game)

That team was so bad on defense that nothing short of a 5,000-yard, 50 td/5 int season could have saved it.

That shootout with Peyton was so sick. I had Romo starting on my fantasy team and he won it for me singlehandedly. My opponent was equal parts salty and impressed

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

NickRoweFillea posted:

That shootout with Peyton was so sick. I had Romo starting on my fantasy team and he won it for me singlehandedly. My opponent was equal parts salty and impressed

What's insane is that these were the statlines for the passers from that game. Guess which is which:

quote:

QB 1 -- 33 Cmp - 42 Att - 414 yds - 4 TD - 1 INT - 129.6 RAT
QB 2 -- 25 Cmp - 36 Att - 506 yds - 5 TD - 1 INT - 140.0 RAT

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
They actually replayed that game on NFL Network a week or two ago and it was just amazing to watch again.

It also had the NFL equivlent of an eclipse: :manning: bootleg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw9ubs1A6kU

It's also noteworthy for almost being a microcosm of some of the dumb media narratives about Romo. He played out of his loving mind the whole game while the defense couldn't stop Denver at all (They turned it over twice, but the Broncos never punted), but at the end Romo throws a pick, which was really an excellent diving play by Danny Trevathan, and then it turns into "HE CHOKED HE SUCKS" for a week.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

fartknocker posted:

They actually replayed that game on NFL Network a week or two ago and it was just amazing to watch again.

It also had the NFL equivlent of an eclipse: :manning: bootleg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw9ubs1A6kU

It's also noteworthy for almost being a microcosm of some of the dumb media narratives about Romo. He played out of his loving mind the whole game while the defense couldn't stop Denver at all (They turned it over twice, but the Broncos never punted), but at the end Romo throws a pick, which was really an excellent diving play by Danny Trevathan, and then it turns into "HE CHOKED HE SUCKS" for a week.

This is the game that finalized my hatred for my own fanbase.

I want the Cowboys to win, but I will always wish death and sadness on the drunkass idiots who blame 100% of a game on the quarterback. It's maddening.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Both QBs threw a single INT that game, but Romo's a choker because he wasn't able to lead the offense to score 52 points.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

TheChirurgeon posted:

Both QBs threw a single INT that game, but Romo's a choker because he wasn't able to lead the offense to score 52 points.

My grandfather, 84 at the time, has been a Cowboys fan since the team was founded (Because he loved Tom Landry and was pissed the Giants let him go to eventually hire loving Allie Sherman), did exactly that and blamed Romo. Cowboys fans are all the same.

Also, I just remembered this exists: :romo:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Giants fans never hated pre-rings derpy pick machine Eli as much as Eagles fans hated McNabb or Cowboys fans hated Romo.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Lol Romo is going to wither and die on the Cowboys bench.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

a new study bible! posted:

Lol Romo is going to wither and die on the Cowboys bench.

Pretty sure the wither part is already here.

Texans will do something during the draft to satiate Jerry Jones and get Romo

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

Giants fans never hated pre-rings derpy pick machine Eli as much as Eagles fans hated McNabb or Cowboys fans hated Romo.

But the Eagles fans who criticized McNabb turned out to be right?

FF sure had a good laugh at our expense when McNabb was traded to the Redskins.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Sure. McNabb got old and struggled on a poo poo team, so he was never a great QB. That makes sense.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

sean10mm posted:

He was garbage year 1 and for the most part we werent happy with him until 2007 and after that he could do no wrong.

If he hadnt won in 2007 im not sure how much longer he would have lasted, even if we made the Superbowl. His inconsistencies are very frustrating but kind of add to his charm when he's already reached the top twice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Febreeze posted:

He was garbage year 1 and for the most part we werent happy with him until 2007 and after that he could do no wrong.

If he hadnt won in 2007 im not sure how much longer he would have lasted, even if we made the Superbowl. His inconsistencies are very frustrating but kind of add to his charm when he's already reached the top twice.

I'm sure if he never won that Eli would have eventually been hated too, but Romo and McNabb were turned on by a large share of their teams' fanbases early on in a way that it seemed like didn't happen to Eli during his early, often fugly seasons. At least not to the same degree.

e:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure. McNabb got old and struggled on a poo poo team, so he was never a great QB. That makes sense.

You don't remember how TFF argued that McNabb would never, ever age? Hell, it reached the point where Philly fans had to stick up for the Second Law of Thermodynamics and the concept that time passes! :v:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 29, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Eli's career arc can be split into two parts:

- Before the 16-0 game
- After the 16-0 game

If you asked someone in 2006 or 2007 that Eli Manning would win two Super Bowls for the Giants you'd get laughed off the planet. He had short stretches of absolutely brilliant play marred by complete :psyduck:. I think we also forget that the decision to take Eli over Rivers was looking like a debacle.

The 2007 Giants were top-10 against the run and pass and had an elite rushing attack. He was literally the only thing holding it back.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200711250nyg.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200712160nyg.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200712230buf.htm (one week before (!) the 16-0 game)

Then he had the 16-0 game (which I will always maintain is one of the best games he's ever played) and it was like a switch flipped:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200712290nyg.htm

Two super bowls later Giants fans adore the little fucker (a bit too much now that he's on the decline).

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 29, 2017

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
All in all, if you don't win, no one will love you.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lol NWP you were wrong then and you're wrong now

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Febreeze posted:

After the 2009 season, my Giant's fan father-in-law continued to argue they would never win the Super Bowl with Manning.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
One other strange quirk about comparing Eli to McNabb or Romo hate is that before 2007's postseason, he didn't have the same start McNabb and Romo had. McNabb and Romo came onto the scene and immediately played well, and then got beat in the playoffs so they got labeled with the stupid "choker" thing because they raised expectations too high too fast. Eli didn't. Eli came on and sucked, and Giants fans were less about hate and more just kind of sad the team made a mistake, holding onto hope that he might pan out. Like a Bengals fan with Andy Dalton or the Dolphins fans who still have faith in Tannehill. When he won in 2007 it probably surprised Giants fans about as much as it surprised everyone else. Giants fans will talk all kinds of trash now about how we all knew we would take the pats down (we knew we could, but doubted it would happen) but at the time most of us were basically just hoping for a playoff win and would have been okay with losing to Brett Favre since beating the cowboys in the divisional felt like the peak of what we could achieve.

2008 was a love fest for Eli even though he spent the year handing it off to Earth wind and Fire.

2009 was disappointing but eh.

2010 we missed the playoffs and Eli's inconsistency was beginning to wear on the fanbase again because 2007 was just a fluke and reality had started to set in again.

2011 then happened, Eli was a loving monster that year and dragged a mediocre defense and 32nd ranked rush attack to another Super Bowl win and from that point on pretty much every Giants fan will defend Eli till the death, even if at this point we're back to acknowledging he's got some flaws because his legacy is starting to finalize. Case in point:

corn on the cop posted:

Two super bowls later Giants fans adore the little fucker (a bit too much now that he's on the decline).

He's not the same fearless guy he was in 2011 (We had equally terrible lines and rushing then, just in a different system) but it's still hard to tell how much he's declined and how much is just normal Eli inconsistency and having a garbage tackle situation (the worst I can remember), no run game, and no tight end. Eli loves his tight ends, and we haven't had one since Ballard left.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lol NWP you were wrong then and you're wrong now

Yeah, I'm sure Redskins fans remember the McNabb trade fondly.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I never criticized him when he was young.

And that poo poo team won the division the following year without him.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 30, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Redskins fans remember the McNabb trade fondly.

I never criticized him when he was young.

And that poo poo team won the division the following year without him.

The year McNabb started for Washington, their best receiver was a 31 year-old Santana Moss. Their best running back was a 31 year-old Clinton Portis, who only played 5 games due to injury. The year after that they didn't win the division, they went loving 5-11 with Rex Grossman as their starting QB and were relying on Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney as their top receiving threats.

You're thinking of 2012, when in addition to getting RG3, they also picked up Pierre Garcon and drafted Alfred Morris. They also won the division at 10-6 so it's not like they were suddenly world beaters.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
2010 was the year that people in Dallas were saying that Dallas should've traded Romo PLUS 1-2 firsts for RGIII to draft him. I wanted to strangle people.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I thought you were referring to the Eagles.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The year McNabb started for Washington, their best receiver was a 31 year-old Santana Moss. Their best running back was a 31 year-old Clinton Portis, who only played 5 games due to injury. The year after that they didn't win the division, they went loving 5-11 with Rex Grossman as their starting QB and were relying on Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney as their top receiving threats.

You're thinking of 2012, when in addition to getting RG3, they also picked up Pierre Garcon and drafted Alfred Morris. They also won the division at 10-6 so it's not like they were suddenly world beaters.

He threw 13 Ints in 12 games the year before RG3...he was washed up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
remember how McNabb got benched cause he was gonna set the Washington franchise record for passing yards. not saying his season was particularly impressive, but it's still funny

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Eagles just signed something called Patrick Robinson. :effort:

I guess he was one of the Colts CBs last year? I can't imagine they're done at the position now and I'm assuming they just wanted to sign a vet to mentor young guys. Colts defensive backfield was a mess last year though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

I thought you were referring to the Eagles.

The Eagles went from 11-5 to 10-6 the year after McNabb. Yeah they won the division, but it wasn't like the team had some massive improvement. You went from McNabb going 3,553 - 22 TDs - 10 INT to Vick doing 3,018 - 21 TDs - 6 INTs and neither playing a full season. The reason the Eagles won the division in 2010 and didn't in 2009 is that the Cowboys were a much better team than the Eagles in 2009 and were garbage in 2010 thanks to some bad trades, drafts, and age finally catching up with them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Quiet Feet posted:

The Eagles just signed something called Patrick Robinson. :effort:

I guess he was one of the Colts CBs last year? I can't imagine they're done at the position now and I'm assuming they just wanted to sign a vet to mentor young guys. Colts defensive backfield was a mess last year though.

He spent a couple of years on the Saints. He's, uh, not very good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

TheChirurgeon posted:

The reason the Eagles won the division in 2010 and didn't in 2009 is that the Cowboys were a much better team than the Eagles in 2009 and were garbage in 2010 thanks to some bad trades, drafts, and age finally catching up with them.

I remember those final two games in 09 too well. The Eagles line just could not slow down Dallas' pass rush, and in true Andy fashion he made absolutely zero adjustments to his gameplan to give McNabb more time. Didn't keep in a fullback, didn't have Celek chipping or staying in to block, didn't give him hot reads or quick dumpoffs.... just let him get creamed. it was brutal

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah after TO Reid really fell in love with verticality as opposed to the quick slants/screens featured in the early McNabb years (which he's gone back to in KC) even when he didn't have the line necessary to give McNabb the time to get those deep passes off

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Yeah, as I said before, I thought you were referring to the Eagles as a "poo poo team" in McNabb's final years and I was pointing out that they weren't.

The irony in the whole thing is I wanted McNabb and Reid gone mostly because we had finally gotten some decent skill position players (McCoy, Jackson, Maclin) and I didn't want to waste them on a clueless coach who couldn't make adjustments and an over-the-hill QB who was afraid to pull the trigger, and then Chip Kelly came in and got rid of them all!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah, as I said before, I thought you were referring to the Eagles as a "poo poo team" in McNabb's final years and I was pointing out that they weren't.

The irony in the whole thing is I wanted McNabb and Reid gone mostly because we had finally gotten some decent skill position players (McCoy, Jackson, Maclin) and I didn't want to waste them on a clueless coach who couldn't make adjustments and an over-the-hill QB who was afraid to pull the trigger, and then Chip Kelly came in and got rid of them all!

Isn't 173–114 a very respectable NFL record? How could he be clueless and still do so well?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

Isn't 173–114 a very respectable NFL record? How could he be clueless and still do so well?

You'd think going to like 4 straight NFC CGs and a Super Bowl and dominating the division for a decade would win you some good will with fans but here we are

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

You'd think going to like 4 straight NFC CGs and a Super Bowl and dominating the division for a decade would win you some good will with fans but here we are

Are you telling me that Andy Reid is actually a good coach and anybody that believes otherwise might be... clueless?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
A key skill in any profession is the ability to acknowledge and work towards correcting mistakes. Andy Reid has been a coach in the NFL for almost 20 years and still can't manage a game clock. Are we all going to pretend that's not a thing?

He's certainly got a lot of strong points, but for me that is a fatal flaw. It sucks to have the talent, and the Eagles certainly had the talent before Andy Reid got more say in player personnel, but go into games knowing that your talent better outshine the opposing team by a lot because there's a good chance your team is going to be out coached.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

A key skill in any profession is the ability to acknowledge and work towards correcting mistakes. Andy Reid has been a coach in the NFL for almost 20 years and still can't manage a game clock. Are we all going to pretend that's not a thing?

He's certainly got a lot of strong points, but for me that is a fatal flaw. It sucks to have the talent, and the Eagles certainly had the talent before Andy Reid got more say in player personnel, but go into games knowing that your talent better outshine the opposing team by a lot because there's a good chance your team is going to be out coached.

Yes, the game clock is important and he has struggled with it. Doesn't a head coach manage more than that in the course of a season though? Doesn't it appear that what he is good at is maybe outweighing his flaws?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

Yes, the game clock is important and he has struggled with it. Doesn't a head coach manage more than that in the course of a season though? Doesn't it appear that what he is good at is maybe outweighing his flaws?

Yeah, sure, as long as you keep him far away from player personnel and don't mind a head coach who isn't a good gameday coach, he's great. That's not sarcasm. He is very good at many aspects of the job. His players usually love him. But for me that doesn't outweigh the flaws. Everyone makes mistakes. Andy Reid makes the same mistakes over and over again and makes no obvious effort to correct those mistakes.

Doug Pederson is a mini-Reid and it will not surprise me at all if his tenure in Philly ends for the same reason. Philly fans are already sensitive to this after Reid and after Pederson's initial refusal upon his arrival to admit there was anything wrong with KC's clock management in their final drive against the Patriots in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

"I am irrational and I am not going to change."

• Locked thread