Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cooldad, i bet mine could beat him up though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

honda nc700x.
Cool commuter bike or mutant offspring of a honda fit and a scooter that should be taken behind a shed?

They are going for pretty ok prices around me. I like how they look but a lot of people dont. Are they selling for cheap because they are mechanically bad or just because they have low demand? Im not talking about the dual clutch auto

At least 4 near me have a similar story of "I fell over and now my wife says I cant ride anymore."
There is scraping on 1 side fairing and a missing handlebar cap. OEM replacement of both parts is under $200.

Super reliable and cheap to run, only they should have given it belt drive to be the perfect commuter bike. The cb500 is more fun to ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A plastic horse mounted on a spring is more fun to ride.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

A plastic horse mounted on a spring is more fun to ride.

he was talking about a motorcycle, not your mom

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
My dad's old friend has a CB500 and it's a great everyday bike. Just the right amount of power, the EFI gives it lots of torque down low and it's really hard to stall, nice light handling. I'm sure it won't constantly break down or spew oil so it doesn't have much "soul", but Honda sure knows how to make a motorcycle that you can Just Get On And Ride.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

My dad's old friend has a CB500 and it's a great everyday bike. Just the right amount of power, the EFI gives it lots of torque down low and it's really hard to stall, nice light handling. I'm sure it won't constantly break down or spew oil so it doesn't have much "soul", but Honda sure knows how to make a motorcycle that you can Just Get On And Ride*.

*till the regulator rectifier eats itself.

FTFY

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

What bikes should I be looking at for my 60 mile commute? 55ish is a mix of ok to amazing riding material and then 5 is an utter shithell where I would like to jump curbs and split traffic, thanks!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Post a map of your commute roads. But 120 mi a day is a lot of saddle time so o would lean sport touring. But it depends if you have to split or not, deal with weird roads etc

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What kinda price range are we talking

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Post a map of your commute roads. But 120 mi a day is a lot of saddle time so o would lean sport touring. But it depends if you have to split or not, deal with weird roads etc

https://goo.gl/TRFzek

The route 1 9/Tonnelle Avenue four mile stretch (which the map should be zoomed in on) is a real killer during rush hour. It can take me up to 40 minutes to make it those four miles sometimes. Its fairly tight but its here that I would like to split and hop on to the lovely unused curbs.

I'd like to keep it around 5-6k.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So I'm looking for a new bike, and I really like everything about the FZ-09 except the loving ugly bug rear end alien look.

What I want:
- Standard seating position
- ABS
- Traction control a plus
- Around 400lbs
- Somewhere around 100hp/60ft-lbs
- Not look like a dong
- Less than $10k
- Comes in black and red or black and...black

The good news is all the competition I have found looks even worse.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
New KTM 790.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I don't think the KTM offering fits a different looks category. It's just a different kind of alien. If 10k wasn't a restriction, XSR900 would be the obvious choice.

Wouldn't you be better off modding the looks of your bike?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
nm!

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 30, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bondematt posted:

So I'm looking for a new bike, and I really like everything about the FZ-09 except the loving ugly bug rear end alien look.

What I want:
- ABS
- Around 400lbs
- Not look like a dong
- Less than $10k

I think you just need to force yourself to like the looks; it owns.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Z3n posted:

New KTM 790.

What's with KTMs that the uglier they are, the better they look?

If I go ugly, might as well go so ugly it's a feature.

pokie posted:

I don't think the KTM offering fits a different looks category. It's just a different kind of alien. If 10k wasn't a restriction, XSR900 would be the obvious choice.

Wouldn't you be better off modding the looks of your bike?

Now we're talking! That's a beautiful bike and the price isn't too bad.

I'm moving towards just riding a stock bike, being my last bike is an abortion of cheap parts and poor decisions.

Chichevache posted:

That's probably what is going to happen.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
FZ09 can be had pretty cheap used, and are a really solid bike. I'm not a fan of the looks either, but fitting a round headlight really transforms it:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

That looks great. I can't stand the factory streetfighter headlight fad.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

FZ09 can be had pretty cheap used, and are a really solid bike. I'm not a fan of the looks either, but fitting a round headlight really transforms it:

See, I was thinking of doing something like that with mine, but I'm going to finish up all the useful mods first. Maybe this winter, when I'm bored.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Coydog posted:

I really like that.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Tbh the looks never inspired me, it was the engine that wows me. Something is just kinda off about the tank

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The frame kinking upwards in the middle looks like a knee or elbow bending the wrong way awkwardly. That defines the entire bike for me, which is ugly.

Amazing to ride though. A true tragedy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They should get their sportbike design team on it, because this year's R1/R6 look sick as gently caress, the perfect 21st century sportbike in terms of looks.

Of course that may just be because the gross engine is covered up, but things like the cat and the muffler are just really well integrated into the overall design. Shame about the price point, maybe I'll be able to afford one in 15 years :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

What I want:
- ABS
- Around 400lbs
- Not look like a dong
- Less than $10k

No idea what they cost new on your side of the pond but apart from price you've just described the Striple, the Monster 821, and the new Shiver to a tee (in ascending order of closeness to standard riding position)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Bondematt posted:

What I want:
- ABS
- Around 400lbs
- Not look like a dong
- Less than $10k

XSR900 is the same bike as the FZ09 with a round headlight.

But also...

Chichevache posted:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like what they did with the plate holder

Other than that yeah just get a used 900 hornet

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renaissance Robot posted:

They should get their sportbike design team on it, because this year's R1/R6 look sick as gently caress, the perfect 21st century sportbike in terms of looks.

Of course that may just be because the gross engine is covered up, but things like the cat and the muffler are just really well integrated into the overall design. Shame about the price point, maybe I'll be able to afford one in 15 years :v:

wow seriously they look amazing. I really like the ducati-ish headlights and those led strip are niiiice. If im not mistaken the r1 has that look as far back as 2015. Still too new and still too expensive but ill definitely be keeping an eye on prices in about 3 years.

Does suzuki make a full fairing bike in the vein of the fz6r or a ninja 650? All I can find is gsxs-1000f which seems completely different. Katana 600 if they still made those i guess.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 2, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They make the GSX650F which is a bandit 650 with clothes on. It sounds intimidating but they're painfully slow so compete directly with the ER6 and similar.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fauxtool posted:

wow seriously they look amazing. I really like the ducati-ish headlights and those led strip are niiiice. If im not mistaken the r1 has that look as far back as 2015. Still too new and still too expensive but ill definitely be keeping an eye on prices in about 3 years.

I was down at my local Yamaha dealer yesterday, they're super nice in person too. Really solid looking construction. Yellow/white is my favourite!

I was also extremely impressed with the YZF-R125. It's huge! The fairings are really all-encompassing from a rider perspective, like there's the normal amount of 125 sportbike fairings but then an extra layer of plastic standing off an inch or two from the yoke down that means your legs aren't hanging out in the airstream:

Having an actual step in the fairing in front of the rider's leg is a design choice I had thought died with the 80s; most modern sportbikes seem to favour smooth lines from front to back that mean the thing is perfectly streamlined right up until you sit a person on them (main examples I can think of being the smaller kawasakis and hondas).

Anyway I super dig it and I hope to see more bikes in this style in the future. :)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 2, 2017

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No idea what they cost new on your side of the pond but apart from price you've just described the Striple, the Monster 821, and the new Shiver to a tee (in ascending order of closeness to standard riding position)

Looks like around $12.5k new.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

XSR900 is the same bike as the FZ09 with a round headlight.

But also...

It's really between the XSR900 and the FZ09. I can get the FZ09 in red and replace the headlight.

Cause that looks great.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Man I've had my fz6 forever. I love it and am attached to it. It's nothing amazing but I like the way it rides and it's hassle free.

But those fz09s are looking more an more appealing by the day.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

nsaP posted:

Man I've had my fz6 forever. I love it and am attached to it. It's nothing amazing but I like the way it rides and it's hassle free.

But those fz09s are looking more an more appealing by the day.

There have been several of them listed for pretty cheap on CL in the Cincy area over the past few weeks. I only see one at the moment and it's not a screaming deal, but they seem to pop up frequently.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to get a project bike and need some model recommendations; I think I'm looking for something like a cb250, classic British styling, 400 lbs or less, kick start. I want it to be (to lightly mod it into) a scrambler/dual sport (just like fire trails and other less than intense state Park joy riding), and I'd like it to be able to take the interstate to get there, we're talking needing to do sixty mph or so, not like so Cal interstate where it's 80 to 100 or gtfo.

So....what I should I look for? I'm prioritizing parts availability and simple, old designs. I have a basically brand new bike that I'm keeping, so I'm hoping to buy something from the 70s and tinker.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

I want to get a project bike and need some model recommendations; I think I'm looking for something like a cb250, classic British styling, 400 lbs or less, kick start. I want it to be (to lightly mod it into) a scrambler/dual sport (just like fire trails and other less than intense state Park joy riding), and I'd like it to be able to take the interstate to get there, we're talking needing to do sixty mph or so, not like so Cal interstate where it's 80 to 100 or gtfo.

So....what I should I look for? I'm prioritizing parts availability and simple, old designs. I have a basically brand new bike that I'm keeping, so I'm hoping to buy something from the 70s and tinker.

Buy a rashed EX250, remove the fairings, and convert it to a scrambler.

fin.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Do you want something to chop and modify, or something to restore?

If the former, get the EX250 as recommended and go nuts. They're a great base to start stripping stuff down and building something custom out of. They're everywhere, with unlimited parts availability, and are about the right size and weight and power for your dual-sport idea. To make a "scrambler" in the traditional sense you just need dirt tires, lower gearing and high pipes.

If the latter, any old pre-1975 CL is a fine choice, but please aim to restore it. Don't get a vintage bike with the goal of chopping it up.

Parts availability and simple design = EX250. It's got hardly anything in it more advanced than a 1970s street bike except for electronic ignition, which is a badly needed upgrade on any old bike that still has points anyway.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any pre 1975 CL it is then. Sorry if I scared anyone when I said 'mod', I meant "some of the CLs I googled look like they're set up to be dual sports, I could do that!". I'd be looking to restore/keep it period correct. Tires and stuff, not chopping the frame.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

It's really between the XSR900 and the FZ09. I can get the FZ09 in red and replace the headlight.

How about the FJ-09? They all have ABS (FZ-09s only got it in '17) and they're cheap because no one buys em.

The XSR would be cool but I can't get over the tiny headlight.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Its kinda pricy for what you get, but I've always wanted to try out one of those Ryca kits. They have a scrambler one that looks cool. If you could get a s40 for dirt cheap it might be worth it (the kit itself is a few thousand dollars)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Fats posted:

How about the FJ-09? They all have ABS (FZ-09s only got it in '17) and they're cheap because no one buys em.

The XSR would be cool but I can't get over the tiny headlight.

The FJ is less similar to the FZ than the XSR. All 3 have the same engine, but the FJ is more touring-based with better seats, more gas, a big windscreen, handguards, etc. The XSR is the retro version, mostly just styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jazzzzz posted:

There have been several of them listed for pretty cheap on CL in the Cincy area over the past few weeks. I only see one at the moment and it's not a screaming deal, but they seem to pop up frequently.

Are you in this area too? A lurker started hanging in #bieks and he's from the area too. Might have to organize a goon ride provided you all aren't neck-bearded mouth-breathers. There was a guy who posted here in the past that lived north of Cincy but he was an annoying arrogant prick...

...No, I'm not describing myself. Low hanging fruit and whatnot.