Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No, you're right and I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did. They were very much a "right time, right place, right idea" band and I think the documentary plays that up more than it mythologizes them.

Either way, I very much agree that it's a great documentary made out of mostly interviews with one person, which is hard to do. Jim Jarmusch is great.

Speaking of which, the Iggy Pop scene in Coffee and Cigarettes is still my second favorite bit in that film with him geeking out over Tom Waits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ripper Street is really fun. It combines the British crime dramas that I've been binging en masse lately and a period piece which I'm an absolute sucker for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ripper Street is fantastic, but not quite on the level of Peaky Blinders.

The last few years have been pretty solid for period British shows with Joe Gilgnun in them

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I liked Peaky Blinders, but even as a Nick Cave fan, hearing "Red Right Hand" 4 times per episode got old fast. Did they dial that back in season 2?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Call Me Charlie posted:

Not to say they were bad but trying to call them the 'greatest band in rock & roll' is a bit of a stretch.

It's really not, the Stooges were awesome.

precision posted:

I mean, you say you've never really listened to the Stooges so... maybe you should? Them and the MC5 invented punk rock. I legit don't think Iggy was inspired by Jagger; they were contemporaries. When The Stooges were starting out, the Stones were still a psych pop band more than anything else.

Death came before the Stooges and MC5, but they were swept under the rug because it was three black men making loud music. If you can, track down their album "...For All The World To See" and A Band Called Death, the film about how they invented punk rock, never found success, and were rediscovered.]

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol death did not predate the stooges or the MC5. The Stooges were already working on their third and last album when death was formed.

And Death was a cool band that was a ahead of their time but you can't really call them influential because of their relative obscurity until that doc came out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

veni veni veni posted:

Lol death did not predate the stooges or the MC5. The Stooges were already working on their third and last album when death was formed.

And Death was a cool band that was a ahead of their time but you can't really call them influential because of their relative obscurity until that doc came out.

:doh: I got my decades mixed up, Death were the link between protopunk and punk rock, they pre-dated the New York Dolls, duh. My brain's just all mixed up today.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think even the Dolls either predate death or were started around the same time death were still a funk band until the mid seventies iirc.

Death definitely had a sound that we would associate with punk in the late seventies and eighties before just about anyone else though. To me more than anything it seemed like they weren't very prolific and didn't tour much more than anything else. Also just too ahead of their time. The doc about them is cool and that album is good though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dr. Spaceman is one of the funniest TV characters I've ever seen

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-e...return-and-more

April is shaping up to be rather lovely

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ok you guys were right, 30 Rock is pretty funny.

precision posted:

Ripper Street is fantastic, but not quite on the level of Peaky Blinders.

The last few years have been pretty solid for period British shows with Joe Gilgnun in them

Yeah, but Peaky Blinders doesn't quite capture that pulpy CSI:Whitechapel feel complete with Victorian style supervillains, heists, and serial killers that Ripper offers. This show is just delightfully fun.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Well, at least we get A Nightmare on Elm Street back.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been wanting to see The Handmaiden so there's one pretty good title for me on that list at least.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is Hot Girls Wanted: Turned On: Season 1 exactly what I think it is?

Also, Prime's getting The Love Witch. I've been waiting for that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

:doh: I got my decades mixed up, Death were the link between protopunk and punk rock, they pre-dated the New York Dolls, duh. My brain's just all mixed up today.

You're not wrong about A Band Called Death though, it is a very good documentary.

I wish it were streaming somewhere, but apparently the Slint documentary Breadcrumb Trail is really hard to find. I saw a screening of it at the local indie dive bar last year and it is really really loving good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

quote:

April 22

The Great British Baking Show: Masterclass: Season 1-3

Oh hell yes

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Better Call Saul season 2 is now up, so for those of you who have been slacking on that, catch up before Season 3 starts the 10th.

It's so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

Better Call Saul season 2 is now up, so for those of you who have been slacking on that, catch up before Season 3 starts the 10th.

It's so good.

Ah hell yes, been waiting on that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

It's so good.

Ditto for Fargo on Hulu (well, it's s3 starts on the 19th)

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Is there a point where Better Call Saul feels like it was something that needed to be made? I watched the first 4 or 5 and kind of fizzled out because while it was well done I could never get past the feeling of "this doesn't need to exist" that kept hitting me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno I thought it felt great from the first episode. Nothing really needs to exist. it was worth making because it's good. If it was just constant cheap nods to breaking bad I could see the argument I guess, but it's not.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
At the very least watch the 6th episode. It focuses on Mike's backstory and is one of the best BCS or BrBa episodes around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Asnorban posted:

Is there a point where Better Call Saul feels like it was something that needed to be made? I watched the first 4 or 5 and kind of fizzled out because while it was well done I could never get past the feeling of "this doesn't need to exist" that kept hitting me.

Season one finale.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I swear Ripper Street must have hired at the least half of the Game of Thrones supporting cast I'm seeing familiar faces nearly every episode.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Noticed Departures season 1 popped up on Amazon Prime and looked deeper... gently caress yes! It's such a good travel show.

https://twitter.com/departures_/status/847136876431659009

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Season one finale.

It's perfect.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Agreed

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Asnorban posted:

I started off expecting it to be a wacky dramedy featuring that zany lawyer from Breaking Bad and almost quit, because that's not what the show is at all.

Go into it with no expectations and you'll find it to be maybe the best character study with the best acting of any show on TV currently. It's really phenomenal.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Archer Season 7 on netflix. If you aren't, you should be.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think I watch a single show that "needs" to exist. I watch Better Call Saul because I enjoy it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Asnorban posted:

You'll probably fizzle out again once you realize that the showrunners are going to stretch out the transformation from Jimmy to Saul forever.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Call Me Charlie posted:

You'll probably fizzle out again once you realize that the showrunners are going to stretch out the transformation from Jimmy to Saul forever.

This was my biggest fear for the show. I've only seen season 1, but the one downfall I saw was that they'd stretch it out for too long. I was hoping they'd​ stick to say, three seasons and wrapped it up tightly.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Anything that gives Bob Odenkirk work is fine with me, let alone makes him the central character.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Asnorban posted:

While nothing ever needs to be made, I think I get what you are saying. I tried watching it also, but I just couldn't get into at the time. I don't think that speaks to the quality of the show, just more of my mind set during that time. Also given how much great television is out there right now there are going to be some casualties of missed shows. I do see myself watching Better Call Saul one day (maybe after it finishes it's run). I just have no interest in watching it right now (and I loved BB).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 30, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

If you're watching the show waiting for Saul to "get there," it's not for you. The entire purpose of the show is that Jimmy isn't just Saul. He's a person with real values and real feelings and real conflict. No one just "becomes" someone different, there's a path that leads them there.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

GonSmithe posted:

If you're watching the show waiting for Saul to "get there," it's not for you. The entire purpose of the show is that Jimmy isn't just Saul. He's a person with real values and real feelings and real conflict. No one just "becomes" someone different, there's a path that leads them there.
Yeah and for me it's already a better show than Breaking Bad, and I LOOOOOOOOOOVED Breaking Bad. The emotional stakes of BCS are more relateable for me than those of BB, even though BB obviously had a bigger "awesomeness" quotient. Jimmy is a more three-dimensional character than Walter. He's more deeply affected by his own life history. Walter is a narcissistic poo poo through and through, and the major character arc of BB is about him becoming more and more of a monster.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

GonSmithe posted:

I guess the question is how long and meandering that path should be before you transition from an interesting story to padding/fluff to keep the trip going. Again, I haven't seen the most recent season so I'm not saying the show is at that point, it's just a pitfall that I'd be sorry to see the Saul/Jimmy saga fall into.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LogisticEarth posted:

I guess the question is how long and meandering that path should be before you transition from an interesting story to padding/fluff to keep the trip going. Again, I haven't seen the most recent season so I'm not saying the show is at that point, it's just a pitfall that I'd be sorry to see the Saul/Jimmy saga fall into.

If a show is well written then there's no need for there to ever be too much padding or fluff, and Better Call Saul is extremely well written. I wouldn't assume that it will necessarily fall into that trap, after just one season(still haven't seen season 2) I really have no desire for Saul to ever "get there" I'm just enjoying the ride.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

I think that's a very negative way to look at it, personally. What may constitute to you as "padding/fluff" can be important character development to someone else. Season 2 is better than Season 1 (and I loved season 1), but for most of it the story doesn't necessarily "advance" too far. I think that when the writing is as good as it is in the show, and the actors are as good as they are, there's no need to worry about what is and what isn't "padding" or "important." It's all important, it's his story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Franchescanado posted:

Anything that gives Bob Odenkirk work is fine with me, let alone makes him the central character.

Girlfriend's Day kind of sucked, unfortunately