Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Thats not how it works at all

hmmmm, I searched for your name in the op and found it zero times, are you sure you're not just jealous???

Erg fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are bad endings for when you fail the various dungeons, but this game doesn't have p4's normal/good/true ending split.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

how can Baal have an avatar from known bad game Persona 5 that he doesn't like

I feel betrayed

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

watching you peons beg for baal's attention is shameful

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have to say I wasn't expecting to see a review of this game in the Guardian.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FractalSandwich posted:

I have to say I wasn't expecting to see a review of this game in the Guardian.

They review all games: http://opencritic.com/outlet/27/guardian

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Arist posted:

ill lick anyone's boots to get best boy recognized

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Arist posted:

he's one of the few people here who has played persona 5, which makes him objectively better than us

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've played Persona 5 and you haven't, give me money.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestonJew posted:

he's one of the few people here who has played persona 5, which makes him objectively better than us

the thought that baal is better than me makes me want to loving kill myself

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Arist posted:

you should wait AT LEAST one week and 4 days

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
So they do. I don't usually see them in the Guardian Australia email digest.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

I've played Persona 5 and you haven't, give me money.

wheres your patreon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You have to dig in the arts section for the game reviews. I should really see if there's a way for me to put them on the front page, because I care more about Persona than... whatever this "Brexit" is

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Baal emptyquote this into the op tia

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Apparently one of the Gamespot reviews spoils something in the late game? Just a fair warning. I'm not sure if it's true or not.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

well? i'm waiting

Luna Was Here posted:

Baal emptyquote this into the op tia

sorry, one name request per op post

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

well? i'm waiting

i'm already dead and haunting u, btich

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're very bad at haunting you

Unless you're my ceiling room fan which keeps making that annoying squeaking noise

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Baal posted:

well? i'm waiting

sorry, one name request per op post

there's two op posts, put me in the one without erg in it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
put me in the goro one cause i loooove goro

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Luna Was Here posted:

there's two op posts, put me in the one without erg in it

one has dryzen the other has erg sorry

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

put me in the goro one cause i loooove goro

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's goro!

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 30, 2017

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

What's the main character's implied personality in this game?

e.g.
Persona 3: ridiculously emo/scene with his headphones and pockethands-walk where he can and will run with his hands still in his pockets
Persona 4: super-bland to the point that the anime actually turns it into a personality trait; seen as a solid dependable guy who adults accuse of corrupting innocent country girls

I know the NPCs all assume the protagonist of 5 is some kind of delinquent but what personality do they actually project?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Keeps his head down and acts quiet and well-mannered, but is secretly pretty sly and cunning. Cocky and confident when he gets the chance to be, and has a real flair of showmanship and is willing to do even dangerous things if it makes him look cool. Shogi girl says he'd be better suited to poker than shogi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

e.g.
Persona 3: ridiculously emo/scene with his headphones and pockethands-walk where he can and will run with his hands still in his pockets
Persona 4: super-bland to the point that the anime actually turns it into a personality trait; seen as a solid dependable guy who adults accuse of corrupting innocent country girls

I know the NPCs all assume the protagonist of 5 is some kind of delinquent but what personality do they actually project?

The Persona 5 protagonist is a pretty outspoken and forward guy. His backstory in the game and his personality from his body language are a lot more direct than P3 or P4's. He actually has an important stated backstory element which you can customize somewhat but makes it impossible to treat him as someone as passive as those two.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

From all the trailers and pre-release info the P5 protag is the coolest character. He steals poo poo, gives evil smirks, and has not one but two cool nicknames. He's the best.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

bewilderment posted:

e.g.

He has two personalities, nicest guy you'll ever meet and twisted loving psychopath

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
At first I thought there might be character significance to the fact that the Hermit is Diogenes. Then I realized that, of course, the art is just based on a real tarot where the Hermit happens to be Diogenes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Persona 3 had the excuse that if MC dies death is unleashed on the world then and there so him falling and being a game over made sense.

I don't recall if p4 had a "reason" but does 5 have one? Or is it just a holdover thing that's going to make me paranoid as all heck

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

How depressing is this game? Just finished a few good-but-sad games and could use a pick-me-up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Having watched small bits of the quicklook while attempting to not see the whole intro, I feel qualified to review the game.

Pros: There's a chance of a reunion of the endurance run dream team
Cons: There is anime
4.2/19

Apologies if this has been answered before, but are the cast in P5 buddies like the cast from P4? One of the big reasons the 4 cast worked for me was that it felt like they did things even when you weren't there. There were relationships between them beyond what was absolutely required for plot reasons. P3's crew might as well have stood still facing a wall until the protagonist got within physical proximity.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Anime is good though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The group are friendly, but some members are p antagonistic at first.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moltrey posted:

good Ai was so loving good

love a mean girl

im the dumbass where I like this in theory idk if I will in the game

Dojima and Nanako's link being the only one in P4 where you need like high Understanding or whatever to progress because of how real it got was cool and i wished there were more at the time

didn't they make raising stats a bit less of a slog in this too? I also liked the idea of those stats.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

Dojima and Nanako's link being the only one in P4 where you need like high Understanding or whatever to progress because of how real it got was cool and i wished there were more at the time

Except for the part where their S. Links were on a time limit so the loving social stats acted as a barrier. There's also one where you need four courage to even start and then suddenly get blockaded by rank 5 courage like 4 ranks in. It's annoying as hell.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Baal posted:

She isn't even a bad character, her personal story is competent and there's nothing wrong with her on writing, but she's just got nothing going for her. She's just a demure ojou-sama with a really boring character that has been done to death in this loving series and we did not need another one. Just imagine Mitsuru and Yukiko's S. Links combined and you have Haru, but she likes plants so I guess that's more than Mitsuru at least.

please be nice to my wife, mitsuru

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Baal posted:

Except for the part where their S. Links were on a time limit so the loving social stats acted as a barrier. There's also one where you need four courage to even start and then suddenly get blockaded by rank 5 courage like 4 ranks in. It's annoying as hell.

yea for me this is the bad side of those stats. I like the idea but if you combine a time gate and a stat gate that's pretty bullshit in a system like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

Oh for sure, it'd be better if they did away with them completely, but like, I like the idea behind them a lot rather than the actual gameplay purpose they serve.

In sorta the same vein, the courage options early in P4 where it's like Ask Yukiko For Her Number that couldn't be gotten unless you were on New Game+ was super dumb because they did was go like "Oh....yeah sure here ya go"
which i guess is funny because that's usually the response you get when asking new friends their number but for teenagers you really would feel you needed Rank 5 Courage to ask a girl that

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 30, 2017