Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Chokes McGee posted:

If we get all the way to the end of this season to have the bad guy be another Jay then I probably won't be able to stop laughing for a while.

It's gonna be earth 1 Hunter Zolomon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Lame episode after a lame musical episode. Seems about right to have some bad late-season episodes, so we're probably gonna have a fun finale.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cisco was being weird af about Gypsy this episode.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Abra Kadabra owned and I hope he comes back.

Yeah he was great the first half of the episode, with the various gags straight from the comic. I wish the rest of the ep was more like that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The guy who played Abra Kadabra really gets around the film/tv comic world. He was a Joker henchman in TDK, was in Gotham, Ant-Man, and now this.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah...I'm not one of those people to to instantly jump up and say a dude was being creepy or overbearing just because it's all the rage these days, but there was one scene in particular where I was cringing.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 30, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Reverse Flash was a fantastic villian, Zoom ended up being interesting, but Savitar has been complete poo poo so far. Like, why don't we have an Ultimate Warrior speedster with him? Look at this dude:

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah...I'm not one of those people to to instantly jump up and say a dude was being creepy or overbearing just because it's all the rage these days, but there was one scene in particular where I was cringing.
It was especially bad when Gypsy was talking about her dead partner and Cisco says "Like, PARTNER partner, or partner?" Cringey, 16 year old as hell thing to say.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I cannot think of a version of this TV show where our transformer-lite version of Savitar would have been more entertaining than this dude with speed force: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36OHZ51o2qo

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Guy Goodbody posted:

He's being written terribly anytime she's on screen with him, and she has no personality. I don't understand why the writers keep trying to push this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Actually I keep thinking about this episode and I want to gush about Abra Kadabra some more. They really did nail him, and this was my favorite episode in awhile precisely because we had a compelling, recurring (I hope) Flash villain.

That really has been what's missing from this season. It's a vast improvement over season 2 but LoT has cannibalized 3 of the best recurring villains (Cold, Heatwave and Thawne) and while we did get a decent Grodd 2-parter we only saw like a 10 second glimpse of the Trickster. And Mirror Master and Alchemy were let downs. We need our good, hammy villains to show up every couple episodes; Savitar is cool enough as a massive existential threat but we need the fun recurring villains too.

It's so weird too because that is exactly what was great about Johns' run on the comic - he resurrected the concept of the Rogues and their story arc was almost as prominent as the Flash and his friends. You would think as an executive producer this would be the main thing he would hammer home as being important.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Guy A. Person posted:

It's so weird too because that is exactly what was great about Johns' run on the comic - he resurrected the concept of the Rogues and their story arc was almost as prominent as the Flash and his friends. You would think as an executive producer this would be the main thing he would hammer home as being important.

Yeah, I'm still hoping for the Rogues en mass to be the villains of an entire season, but Mirror Master was like you said a letdown, and some of the other actors it seems might be hard to get that much of an episode commitment out of.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wentworth Miller and John Barrowman still have those show-hopping mega-contracts, right? Seems like they've kind of gone to waste so far considering they were billed as being able to show up on any one of the 4 CW shows any time they wanted to or were needed without renegotiating guest star payment options.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I remember after Flash s1, the Arrow EPs talked about Snart and Mick showing up on Arrow to rob some poo poo and Oliver would need to stop them. Guess that's not happening.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Longbaugh01 posted:

The one where he's trying to invite himself back to her place ignoring that he'd be killed the moment he showed up in that dimension?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

lotus circle posted:

I remember after Flash s1, the Arrow EPs talked about Snart and Mick showing up on Arrow to rob some poo poo and Oliver would need to stop them. Guess that's not happening.

My guess is Captain Cold will be resurrect at the end of LoT Season 2.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Mooseontheloose posted:

My guess is Captain Cold will be resurrect at the end of LoT Season 2.

They laid the groundwork for the idea with Stein's talk of him getting spread across the timeline in the explosion. To be honest if ever there was one time they could justify using the Spear, it'd be for us to get ol' Citizen Cold back. Leave Captain Cold dumped in present time to be a villain, let Snart'n'Rory ham it up freezerburning nazis.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lotus circle posted:

He's being written terribly anytime she's on screen with him, and she has no personality. I don't understand why the writers keep trying to push this.

To make the reveal that she is earth 19's version of Cisco that much more hilarious.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

To make the reveal that she is earth 19's version of Cisco that much more hilarious.
Honestly that would redeem every single aspect about her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Actually I keep thinking about this episode and I want to gush about Abra Kadabra some more. They really did nail him, and this was my favorite episode in awhile precisely because we had a compelling, recurring (I hope) Flash villain.

That really has been what's missing from this season. It's a vast improvement over season 2 but LoT has cannibalized 3 of the best recurring villains (Cold, Heatwave and Thawne) and while we did get a decent Grodd 2-parter we only saw like a 10 second glimpse of the Trickster. And Mirror Master and Alchemy were let downs. We need our good, hammy villains to show up every couple episodes; Savitar is cool enough as a massive existential threat but we need the fun recurring villains too.

I would hope that once Mark Hamil was finished with his Star Wars commitments, he'd come back to do more Trickster stuff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Are none of you seriously actually watching LoT? Snart has already been brought back.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Actually I keep thinking about this episode and I want to gush about Abra Kadabra some more.

Really? He was the worst loving character in the arrow verse since Count Vertigo.

This is coming from someone who loves pretty much all comic book tv, even Powers.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bruceski posted:

The one where he's trying to invite himself back to her place ignoring that he'd be killed the moment he showed up in that dimension?

Maybe it was the same scene, and maybe you just replied to make the point you did, but there was some dialogue where Cisco says like "This is happening" or "We're making this happen" which was probably the moment I cringed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Are none of you seriously actually watching LoT? Snart has already been brought back.

Yeah, sure, Season 1 Flash-era evil rear end in a top hat Snart maybe. They still need to bring back post-character development cool dude Snart with the Spear of Destiny though. You know, the one that Sara almost banged for no real reason.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

lotus circle posted:

Honestly that would redeem every single aspect about her.

This has already been revealed in the very first episode she was in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

Are you actually watching it? That was very clearly laid out as a past version, not the same one who died at the end of season 1.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Are you actually watching it? That was very clearly laid out as a past version, not the same one who died at the end of season 1.

What would good Snart even do in a cross-over episode. You guys are weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

What would good Snart even do in a cross-over episode. You guys are weird.

People want him back because he was a fun character who had a neat redemption arc. You're the weird one!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
We want him back because he'd be integral to the Rogues getting the band together.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, it's not like Good Snart wasn't still kind of an rear end in a top hat, he was just an incredibly charismatic and lovable rear end in a top hat... who didn't do poo poo like freeze women to death in cold blood like a loving monster :stare:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Captain Cold 100% needs to be back in a more full-time role. He's a great Rogue and if you don't like Wentworth Miller then I just don't know what to say. And on top of all of that, Mick needs his buddy back :unsmith:
I still wish Abra Kadabra had been more intimidating. He & Mirror Master are underutilized. And like, a lot of other rogues.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it's not like Good Snart wasn't still kind of an rear end in a top hat, he was just an incredibly charismatic and lovable rear end in a top hat... who didn't do poo poo like freeze women to death in cold blood like a loving monster :stare:

He really has a lot of catching up to do if he want to even remotely scratch Barry's kill-count.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think current Snart is a pretty fair representation of how he was back when he started before he made his "no bodies" deal with Barry, or did any of his family stuff, or bonded with the Legends. Original Snart was a killer, which is part of why Barry made that deal in the first place.

Redeemed Legends Snart was still an rear end and a thief but he had a pretty clear moral center that even led him to turn against Mick's lack of one.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BSam posted:

Really? He was the worst loving character in the arrow verse since Count Vertigo.

This is coming from someone who loves pretty much all comic book tv, even Powers.

The latter half of the episode where he was mainly being vindictive and sneering weren't that great but the stuff where he was punking Flash with a fake arm, magicing up a Houdini-style death trap for those guards, turning Joe's gun into a squirtgun, and exploding into a swarm of playing cards was all vintage Silver Age comic stuff. I would assume there would be more stuff like that if/when he appears in the future.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If he doesn't turn Barry into a wooden string puppet next time, I don't even know man...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I rewatched Tom Cavanagh's Reverse Flash reveal/killing Cisco from S1 again and that was some undisputed great TV. That episode also had Weather WIzard 2 forcing Barry to run so fast he ran into the past and a great secret identity reveal for a TV show IMO.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I think current Snart is a pretty fair representation of how he was back when he started before he made his "no bodies" deal with Barry, or did any of his family stuff, or bonded with the Legends. Original Snart was a killer, which is part of why Barry made that deal in the first place.

Redeemed Legends Snart was still an rear end and a thief but he had a pretty clear moral center that even led him to turn against Mick's lack of one.

That is one of the things I've really enjoyed about their dynamic since Snart came back; how they managed to flip it on its head and have Mick be the moral one who's sick of Leonard's callous criminal bullshit this time around.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

That is one of the things I've really enjoyed about their dynamic since Snart came back; how they managed to flip it on its head and have Mick be the moral one who's sick of Leonard's callous criminal bullshit this time around.

Mick being a dude who just loves to drink and fight and somehow kill his way into being the most famous and respected hero ever is one of my favorite things on LoT. That show really got so much better after the hawk people departed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, I'm a little torn on that. I like the poetry of Mick and Snart trading places morally, I just don't really buy that Mick is there. Like on some level I accept that Mick cares about his Legends shipmates... but he didn't seem to mind leaving them to their own personal hells until he got bored with being in his own where there was no thrill in stealing. I mean, Sara was murdering her friends. Mick was cool with that.

Mick's still kind of an evil guy. But that does sort of make his place on the team interesting.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McSpanky posted:

If he doesn't turn Barry into a wooden string puppet next time, I don't even know man...

This. Absolutely this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Well Mick was Chronos for a relatively long time and Dominic Purcell has said that he's constantly drunk because the writers have forgotten this so that he doesn't have to be Chronos. It may have given him some perspective.

• Locked thread