Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

God drat it lmao the shrine in the Gerudo Highlands where you have to move a block of ice around...took me like 20 minutes to figure out how to get past the last set of flames and I feel a weird mixture of genius and stupidity having finally gotten it

Did you stasis push the ice while using magnesis to cover the jets with the metal box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Game done. Ganon defeated, all memories found (unless there are some obscure ones not part of the main quest...?), all shrines collected.

Easily the best game Nintendo's ever made, or at least close to it. Really blown away by how much this game impressed me, haha.

Also, Zelda mentions hearing the voice inside the sword, several times. Is that supposed to be Fi? Sorta...glad Link can't seem to hear her as well, but I'm almost sad there was no actual cameo other than the sword glowing and making sounds in front of her.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'll take my fashion award any time now.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

Also, Zelda mentions hearing the voice inside the sword, several times. Is that supposed to be Fi? Sorta...glad Link can't seem to hear her as well, but I'm almost sad there was no actual cameo other than the sword glowing and making sounds in front of her.

Definitely Fi. When it talks to Zelda it makes the sound she makes whenever she comes popping out of the sword.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Inzombiac posted:

Did you stasis push the ice while using magnesis to cover the jets with the metal box?

Please tell me that was the solution, because what I did, I feel, should not have worked.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I just chucked the ice through the last set of flames lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like of you finish the game without horribly breaking a few shrines, and beating it without even knowing how it was supposed to be solved, you are missing out.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

BlackFrost posted:

I think this led to some theories indicating that Zelda was actually the hero of legend chosen by the Master Sword in this iteration of the Zelda lore which thoroughly gets holes poked in it by the ending, but it is fun to think about at the very least. I'm sure this theory was also provoked by how the development team said that they were going to uproot all former conventions of the Zelda series.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If I drop a shield, will enemies pick it up?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If I drop a shield, will enemies pick it up?

I believe so, just like weapons.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I believe so, just like weapons.

Nice, I'm going to give a bokoblin the best shield in the game and then kick his rear end.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

God drat it lmao the shrine in the Gerudo Highlands where you have to move a block of ice around...took me like 20 minutes to figure out how to get past the last set of flames and I feel a weird mixture of genius and stupidity having finally gotten it

I just stasis the ice then hit it at the monk and skipped all the obstacles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

Please tell me that was the solution, because what I did, I feel, should not have worked.

If it worked, that was the solution. As ever, one of the best parts of the game.

Also great, every time you read that somebody used the same rear end backwards stupid solution you did. Though this is not one of those occasions/

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like of you finish the game without horribly breaking a few shrines, and beating it without even knowing how it was supposed to be solved, you are missing out.

Would you accept constantly realizing how it was supposed to be solved, and how amazingly you hosed up what should have been a 5 second puzzle?

"There! I got the metal sphere out the window of it's room and into the window of this room!... Now what?... I know, JUMP OUT THE WINDOW!" :downs:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Is it disrespectful to use your master sword as a multi tool and hylian shield as a snowboard?

Also I'm glad the devs purposefully kept broken solutions in the game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how I was supposed to solve the Thundara puzzle, but I did it with Stasis and praying my metal weapons didn't kill me.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The master swords main uses: chopping off the legs of guardians and whacking ore rocks

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't know how I was supposed to solve the Thundara puzzle, but I did it with Stasis and praying my metal weapons didn't kill me.

I ad the Thunder helm and laughed the whole way :smuggo:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Also I swear I've had the hylian kite for 15+ hours and fought enough lynel and guardians to upgrade their respective sets and it's still not breaking yet.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also I swear I've had the hylian kite for 15+ hours and fought enough lynel and guardians to upgrade their respective sets and it's still not breaking yet.

I don't think perfect parrying things eats away at shield durability. Same reason you can reflect guardian beams with a pot lid forever.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Yup

E: in the interest of discussing breaking solutions, for a while I was convinced that I had to give the block of ice a ride on the metal box around all the flames. But I couldn't get it to work

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 30, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

canoshiz posted:

I don't think perfect parrying things eats away at shield durability. Same reason you can reflect guardian beams with a pot lid forever.

I have eaten many lasers with it. I'm terrible at perfect parrying, and have a lot of armor to make them tickle. The shield being 90 also helps.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

canoshiz posted:

It's like in Skyward Sword; taking a clean hit to your shield is better than taking damage, but it costs you durability. The more optimal (but risky) usage is parrying to both avoid losing durability and open attack opportunities.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

dragon enthusiast posted:

I just chucked the ice through the last set of flames lol

Same lol

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

OK, folks, I am at an impasse. I have been stalling for over a week and have actually basically not touched the game in TWO DAYS because one plot point is staring me in the face: the Yiga Clan hideout. I have put it off as long as possible. Link is a super buff expert bowler with boss armor and killer weapons because I have been ignoring this quest since day one. But there is nothing left to do (except more shrines and a bunch of dinky side quests). Soooooooooooooooo.

My friend (also a goon) told me you can cheese this mission by dropping directly into the boss room. I have been by there and that seems like a thing that could occur. Is this a real thing or not? The entire internet is bitching about this side quest in a manner that suggests it cannot actually be skipped and that it sucks even more than I have built it up to suck.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lobster posted:

OK, folks, I am at an impasse. I have been stalling for over a week and have actually basically not touched the game in TWO DAYS because one plot point is staring me in the face: the Yiga Clan hideout. I have put it off as long as possible. Link is a super buff expert bowler with boss armor and killer weapons because I have been ignoring this quest since day one. But there is nothing left to do (except more shrines and a bunch of dinky side quests). Soooooooooooooooo.

My friend (also a goon) told me you can cheese this mission by dropping directly into the boss room. I have been by there and that seems like a thing that could occur. Is this a real thing or not? The entire internet is bitching about this side quest in a manner that suggests it cannot actually be skipped and that it sucks even more than I have built it up to suck.

I'm convinced there is probably a stationary Yiga "behind" the middle structure or something I just kept overlooking in the second room. Because in my few attempts I would always easily sneak around and murder everyone but the door guard no problem, but right as I kill the next to last guy some second yiga I never noticed would spot me and I'd end up fighting two big ones.

I'm sure you can handle just one big guy in a fair fight, but multiple is a headache. So my question is-

How many unused bomb arrows do you have on hand? I just said gently caress it and Multi shot bow strafing runned them to death. Or, have you unlocked the Akkala tech lab for a supply of Ancient Arrows, your one stop solution for just not giving a single gently caress. They may be big, teleport, and given scripted one hit kills. But they still walk slow as hell the rest of the time and will basically give you all the time you need to shoot them in the face.

When sneaking around in a ninja suit throwing bananas everywhere isn't quite working out, but you are not confident in evading the big swords of multiple enemies, you can always turn to SUPERIOR FIREPOWER :black101:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Section Z posted:

I'm convinced there is probably a stationary Yiga "behind" the middle structure or something I just kept overlooking in the second room. Because in my few attempts I would always easily sneak around and murder everyone but the door guard no problem, but right as I kill the next to last guy some second yiga I never noticed would spot me and I'd end up fighting two big ones.

I'm sure you can handle just one big guy in a fair fight, but multiple is a headache. So my question is-

How many unused bomb arrows do you have on hand? I just said gently caress it and Multi shot bow strafing runned them to death. Or, have you unlocked the Akkala tech lab for a supply of Ancient Arrows, your one stop solution for just not giving a single gently caress. They may be big, teleport, and given scripted one hit kills. But they still walk slow as hell the rest of the time and will basically give you all the time you need to shoot them in the face.

When sneaking around in a ninja suit throwing bananas everywhere isn't quite working out, but you are not confident in evading the big swords of multiple enemies, you can always turn to SUPERIOR FIREPOWER :black101:

I like the way you think, good sir/madam. I just need a multi-shot bow that is not attached to a Lynel. (And not the fancy one the Rito gave me.) I have ten, count 'em TEN Ancient Arrows and a gently caress ton of bomb arrows so that sounds like a plan.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm the guy who put off playing OOT and WW for years as a kid over stealth sections. The Yiga bit isn't that bad.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
I remember reading an interview with Miyamoto where he said his inspiration for Zelda was running around the hills near his childhood home and imagining adventures. OoT was close to that for my child brain. This game is that for me as an adult. Any gaps in lore are easily filled by my imagination. Half the time when I start the game I have my own little "quest" in mind that I just made up for myself.

It's been said 1,000 times in this thread but I'ma say it again: game owns.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The Yiga bit might not be that bad for you but I have an anxiety disorder. It took me days to psyche myself up to fight my first Blight Ganon, or board my first Divine Beast. Now, neither of those ended up being that bad, and after that I wasn't afraid to do those things, so I should probably learn from that, but that's not how the ol' noggin works.

I actually am quite bad at video games in general and often give up due to my anxiety and I often just end up watching LPs instead, or watching my friends play, but this is a game that has kept me playing for close to 80 hours. I think that in itself says quite a lot.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh wow. I have 90+ shrines and I just found out that there's a thunder resistant suit. (also im still missing the barbarian leggings)

idk if i messed up the probability, but its almost one ten thousandths of a chance (1/8025) that I missed all three rubber pieces until now

e: i didnt know one came from a quest, so taking that out is only 1/300 or so. Also I left this region until very late since it is very useless main plot wise, so that drags up the probabilities somewhat

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I am sitting right around half the shrines and they are definitely getting harder to find. Any tips on finding more, Watermelon Daiquiri? Right now I'm just running and flying around and hoping my sensor goes off or I see one in the distance.

E:

Section Z posted:

Oh man, those Yiga are hosed. If you have yet to use Ancient arrows on anything, enjoy discovering just how hosed they are even without a multibow.

Of course, Murphy's law means this time you will ace the stealth aspect.

I used one, once, to wallop a Guardian... But no, not since then! I bet I could go buy more, I have plenty of parts. But you piqued my interest with the multibow idea. I want to see CARNAGE.

But you're probably right.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 30, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Lobster posted:

I like the way you think, good sir/madam. I just need a multi-shot bow that is not attached to a Lynel. (And not the fancy one the Rito gave me.) I have ten, count 'em TEN Ancient Arrows and a gently caress ton of bomb arrows so that sounds like a plan.

Oh man, those Yiga are hosed. If you have yet to use Ancient arrows on anything, enjoy discovering just how hosed they are even without a multibow.

Of course, Murphy's law means this time you will ace the stealth aspect.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 30, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Section Z posted:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

The Lobster posted:

I am sitting right around half the shrines and they are definitely getting harder to find. Any tips on finding more, Watermelon Daiquiri? Right now I'm just running and flying around and hoping my sensor goes off or I see one in the distance.

E:

I used one, once, to wallop a Guardian... But no, not since then! I bet I could go buy more, I have plenty of parts. But you piqued my interest with the multibow idea. I want to see CARNAGE.

But you're probably right.

TBH the vast majority of my time in game has been exploration. :shobon: I only have 2/4 beasts down (and I almost defeated ganon when I accidentally wandered too far into the castle before I decided to just leave it for later in case it did something with my save LOL)

Follow all of the shrine quests and mark down on the map areas you haven't been to (localized to a region) and go visit them all. You'll run into most of the shrines that way. For instance, I make all bodies of water, peaks, valleys, forests, interesting looking shapes as well as areas in between if there is a large amount of land between marks. I only have ~200 or so korok seeds (and I audibly gasped when I learned there were 900 of the drat things!)

Some of the funniest things I've come across doing this is auto-completing quests since I ran into the objective while exploring and did it already :v: One memorable one is when I finally paid the treasure hunters for the location to said treasure, only for it to turn out to be in some nook I came across and cleared out ages ago. Waste of a 100 rupees...

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

TBH the vast majority of my time in game has been exploration. :shobon: I only have 2/4 beasts down (and I almost defeated ganon when I accidentally wandered too far into the castle before I decided to just leave it for later in case it did something with my save LOL)

Follow all of the shrine quests and mark down on the map areas you haven't been to (localized to a region) and go visit them all. You'll run into most of the shrines that way. For instance, I make all bodies of water, peaks, valleys, forests, interesting looking shapes as well as areas in between if there is a large amount of land between marks. I only have ~200 or so korok seeds (and I audibly gasped when I learned there were 900 of the drat things!)

Some of the funniest things I've come across doing this is auto-completing quests since I ran into the objective while exploring and did it already :v: One memorable one is when I finally paid the treasure hunters for the location to said treasure, only for it to turn out to be in some nook I came across and cleared out ages ago. Waste of a 100 rupees...

This sounds like some faffing I would be happy to do!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Here is an example of my exploration methods:

Skulls are both for shrine locations and big monsters like lynels, stars are the 'go here!!!!' thing, swords are where I left weapons in chests, and leaves are korok things i havent done

You can easily suss out where i have and haven't been based on whats starred or not ;)

e: uuuugggghhhh why the gently caress do farosh horn shards need to be used for clothes >: ( I hate trying to get enough, and thinking you got one only for it to actually be a scale. They need a way to transmute scales into horn shards. They are both chitinous, right?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 30, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

See, I can only do that with just one of them. I even provoked the first one just so I could steal his sword on my successful completion of the mission to put on display in my house of proof evil ninjas exist.

But TWO tough guy Yiga and suddenly I'm a complete gently caress up in a straight fight :downs:

See also. My laser parry skills being 100% or Zero percent, depending on elevation.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Don't mind me guys just waiting for it to finish loving raining while I'm halfway through this drat torch quest.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Here is an example of my exploration methods:

Skulls are both for shrine locations and big monsters like lynels, stars are the 'go here!!!!' thing, swords are where I left weapons in chests, and leaves are korok things i havent done

You can easily suss out where i have and haven't been based on whats starred or not ;)

e: uuuugggghhhh why the gently caress do farosh horn shards need to be used for clothes >: ( I hate trying to get enough, and thinking you got one only for it to actually be a scale. They need a way to transmute scales into horn shards. They are both chitinous, right?

This just makes me wish that korok seed icons showed up if a button was held instead of being super zoomed in so I can compare with my map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I had much more trouble with the other stealth section that the Yiga clan one.