Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hmmm I like friends and stainless steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LentThem posted:

my argument against sichuan peppercorns as spicy food is because of stuff like "and so perhaps cause a kind of general neurological confusion"

its similar to the argument "this show/movie is HILARIOUS if you get high first"

if you have to blindside yourself with some neurological confusion to get any enjoyment out of a food/show, then that food/show is boring poo poo

I disagree

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

I'd like to ask the guy if he's a PVC hose maker. I really need ancient chinese coins. Pls respond.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

some people disagree with climate change

some people disagree with holocaust

but all agree that we must never forget the misdeeds committed by japan in 1937

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I exchanged a few emails with a guy who apparently owned a factory that made pretty nice looking N scale containers but even trying to do a bulk order it didn't come out to any less than buying retail so gently caress em.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Glenn Quebec posted:

I kanrenao'd so hard today at a Chinese couple being sweet to each other outrageous. Usually it's no emotion or a seething cold fury at each other.

Are you sure they were Chinese?

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Huajiao can gently caress right off, spend half the meal picking them out of stuff and then you still get one of the sneaky cunts surprise you.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If China actually gets off coal because they give no shits about nuclear ATOMS I will probably have to eat a hat.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Grognan posted:

If China actually gets off coal because they give no shits about nuclear ATOMS I will probably have to eat a hat.

Why not? They've already got cancer.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I had been in Korea about two years and I was at the beach this one time. I saw a guy being affectionate with his wife and having a great time playing with his kid and I stared so much, I had never seen that before. They also were swimming without any flotation devices.

Calling bullshit on this! Your story has three glaring mistakes that I refuse to believe are possible.

Seriously, when I went to the beach all I saw were husbands trying their hardest to ignore their families, grandparents trying to keep the kids from being in the sun, and wives only looking up from their phones once every 17 minutes. Also roving groups of (I think) Pakistani guys circling Korean girls in bikinis and shamelessly snapping photos of them from less than 3 feet away before the girls would just hide under their beach towels. Apparently that became such a problem that they enacted a law to specifically address it.

quote:

The Yonhap news agency says a Bangladeshi and a Vietnamese national on Monday were apprehended for allegedly molesting teenaged girls, while a Burmese was detained after he was accused of taking close-up photographs of bikini-clad beach-goers.

http://www.voanews.com/a/south-korean-beach-becomes-focus-in-debate-over-lawbreaking-foreigners/1454279.html

During the previous week, police say they arrested two Vietnamese and a Pakistani civil servant for secretly taking similar pictures.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sichuan pepper is great, try not being big dumb gay babies.

(also you develop a tolerance, I have to eat handfuls of them straight to get numbing now)

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Personally, I like food that has flavor and is pleasant to eat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Then you would enjoy Sichuan.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lmao look at these little babies who cannot handle a bit of numbness

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jeoh posted:

Lmao look at these little babies who cannot handle a bit of numbness

<chews on entire handfuls of peppercorns>

"No Dr. Phillips! I don't have to come to terms with poo poo!"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you're gonna complain about Chinese food bullshit, complain about the random bones everywhere

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Happily serving a plate of food where 75% of the volume is literally inedible still drives me nuts when I order something new and that's what I get.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

But you see the food is tastier because of the challenge!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Grand Fromage posted:

Happily serving a plate of food where 75% of the volume is literally inedible still drives me nuts when I order something new and that's what I get.

One of the dishes I had at that Szechuan restaurant was the one with a few pieces of fried chicken buried under five pounds of dried red chili peppers. The chicken was good...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

canoshiz posted:

One of the dishes I had at that Szechuan restaurant was the one with a few pieces of fried chicken buried under five pounds of dried red chili peppers. The chicken was good...

That I'm fine with since I eat a bunch of the peppers. I mean random bone shards and poo poo that you can't eat at all.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Confession time: I have loved every movie my man Rob Schneider has been in. Seriously. Belly laughs. I think he's great.

Pirate Radar posted:

I think China has some excellent players to bring to the NHL. Here's what happened when the Chinese u18 team played the Taiwanese one a few days ago:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2017/03/26/2003667487
No open defecation on the ice? Really shameful Face Loss with that.

Glenn Quebec posted:

That pepper loving sucks
I agree. It has no place at all in any dish I have ever had it in. It doesn't even bring anything interesting to the palate. They need to stop the macho bullshit where people pretend this poo poo is spicy. It's not spicy at all, it's just dumb and they have to make up for the flavor-loss by adding way more salt than necessary. At least use a mint leaf because it has flavor.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sichuan pepper isn't spicy and I've never heard anyone claim it is. It's a lemony flavor that isn't particularly strong but when it's absent you notice something is wrong, like things being under-salted.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan pepper isn't spicy and I've never heard anyone claim it is. It's a lemony flavor that isn't particularly strong but when it's absent you notice something is wrong, like things being under-salted.

Something tells me lack of salt isn't a problem in the glorious PRC.

The Great Autismo! posted:

Stewart Glen
Really? I am sitting in Taiwan right now. Free to be me.

xinyiquan6662 days ago
you sitting in ROC, republic of china now, you fucken deluded albino rat

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

canoshiz posted:

la ji ding :discourse:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

"Hmmm, should I de-bone this chicken, or serve it with the bones intact so that they are easier to remove after it's cooked?"

<absolutely shatters every bone in the chicken with a cleaver>

Whenever the cafeteria in the Korean high school I was teaching at served fish, I would always take a minute to butterfly it, then remove the entire spine and all of the bones at once. I never saw anyone else do this, and everyone would spend the majority of the meal pulling bones out of their mouths one at a time with their chopsticks or fingers. It was my first experience with, "this is that way it has always been done, so I won't question it" in Korea.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Picking out fishbones or spending minutes deshelling an individual prawn helps to keep me from gobbling and is a very effective weight management technique.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Just China Things, March 30, 2017:

Me: "I forgot I had this Hawaiian shirt in my closet. I think it's silly, but great for hot weather."
Chinese: "Why are you wearing that? That is for summer. Now it is spring."
Me: "It's 28C/82F and humid. I am sweating. It's good for hot weather."
Chinese: "But it is for summ.."
Me: "No! I don't give a poo poo about these crazy rules you people have."

Me: *Something about Native Americans, since my mom's side are Natives*
Chinese (copied from chat): "Native American were originally from China. They said in history, they are the Yin dynesty, lost the war, so left China."
Me: "Well,..."
Chinese: "Chinese went to America first."
Me: "Ok."

Chinese: "Guangzhou is older in the world than Rome!"
Me: "Rome has been very influential in the world."
Chinese: "Guangzhou is older!"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So can I start feeling better about the smallbox blankets now or what?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Guangzhou was founded in 214 BC, while archaeology suggests Rome dates to somewhere in the 700-800 BC range which actually matches up with the traditional legendary date of 753 BC. In any case, by the time Guangzhou was founded Rome already had an empire and was in the midst of the Second Punic War.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 30, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jeoh posted:

If you're gonna complain about Chinese food bullshit, complain about the random bones everywhere

I too love removing bone shards from every single bite before I can put it in my mouth.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Haier posted:

I live in China. I am trying to talk my friend out of ordering a Switch from Japan and paying a high price for one game. I don't think she's ever played a Zelda game before. Her last Nintendo was an NES.

Please give me your blessings.

Grand Fromage posted:

Guangzhou was founded in 214 BC, while archaeology suggests Rome dates to somewhere in the 700-800 BC range which actually matches up with the traditional legendary date of 753 BC. In any case, by the time Guangzhou was founded Rome already had an empire and was in the midst of the Second Punic War.
Do u believe everything you learn in school? Do u think they are telling you the truth?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan pepper is great, try not being big dumb gay babies.

I agree

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Haier posted:

Me: *Something about Native Americans, since my mom's side are Natives*
Chinese (copied from chat): "Native American were originally from China. They said in history, they are the Yin dynesty, lost the war, so left China."
Me: "Well,..."
Chinese: "Chinese went to America first."
Me: "Ok."

Native Americans:
* line up for hours for smallpox-infected blanket, just because they're free
* get slaughtered by cavalry, loudly proclaim victory
* refuse to hunt buffalo as this requires walking up to several kilometers at a time
* move massive, ill-gotten bead savings into more stable foreign real-estate market by purchasing land near modern-day New York City

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Get a tom yum goong in Bangkok and it's like someone shredded a wicker patio set and put it into the weird upside down cake pan they serve your soup in.

My favorite story about trash in the food is from China though, where I ordered some chicken thing I hadn't had before, and of course they didn't debone loving anything they just obliterated it with a cleaver and I got this plate of fried up chicken and peppers and there was so much busted up chicken bone in it they might as well have crused up a wine bottle and mixed it in there too. But the real treasure was that, of course, they'd cooked the loving head with everything else in the wok, but had taken the care to cut it in half first, so you had this little bisected chicken head where you could look insisde the beak, see where the brain used to be in the skull, etc. Twice.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 30, 2017

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Haier posted:

Confession time: I have loved every movie my man Rob Schneider has been in. Seriously. Belly laughs. I think he's great.

This actually explains a lot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

Well there's always at least one thing any two people can disagree on I guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Students offered me some chicken. I looked at it and they had one bag of chopped up spines, one of wing tips (the very tip not the part with the two bones) and one of feet pieces. I declined. "You don't like chicken?" I tried explaining that I prefer to eat edible foods than gnaw on garbage.

I do like that they sell those wingtips in bags everywhere though they're good for chicken stock. Then you throw them away.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

PORT OF DANDONG

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Dan had it coming, wouldn't stop bragging about the loving thing and dressed up like a Tiger in Shanghai - perfect storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Students offered me some chicken. I looked at it and they had one bag of chopped up spines, one of wing tips (the very tip not the part with the two bones) and one of feet pieces. I declined. "You don't like chicken?" I tried explaining that I prefer to eat edible foods than gnaw on garbage.

I do like that they sell those wingtips in bags everywhere though they're good for chicken stock. Then you throw them away.

I was talking to a girl in Thailand and she was buying the leftover carcass thing that you get when you cut all the other chicken off the chicken from the fried chicken guy. She had him fry it and then chop it up and put it in a bag. I asked her what she was going to do with it and she said "feed it to my dog" and I'm sure that on the other side of the Earth my dad puffed up in resentment at the idea of a dog eating obliterated chicken bones as he was always paranoid that a dog would get a chicken bone "stuck in it's throat." I told her that a lot of Americans won't let their dog eat stuff like that because they think it's dangerous for the dog and she just said "Thai dog different."

• Locked thread