Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Your Computer posted:

it sounds like an anime

I don't think it would fit in a souls game at all (not that specific song, but songs with lyrics in general) and would clash with the rest of the atmosphere. but it would be sweet to have a Sound Horizon album based on Dark Souls

i actually kinda like the english version better. the boss it's for is kinda gwyn-esque in a way for his own reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcoLNTG1tTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Yes, yes it does. But really that's just a Dragon's Dogma thing. It's also why I'm surprised the souls games have never done it as a "now poo poo is REALLY SERIOUS because there are WORDS" kind of thing.

You're fighting the final boss, the music starts slowly with drums and chanting... there's the violins.. the music swells, horns are now blaring in the background.. the boss enters the second phase...

RULES OF NATURE!!! :byodood:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

You're fighting the final boss, the music starts slowly with drums and chanting... there's the violins.. the music swells, horns are now blaring in the background.. the boss enters the second phase...

RULES OF NATURE!!! :byodood:

to be honest the final boss theme of DS3 is kinda the souls game equivalent of that, only it makes you tear up and go fuuuuck yeaaahhh instead of tearing your eyes wide open and going FUUCK YEAAAHHH

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Right, that worked well. Beat him on the first try with that. Turns out doing damage makes the fight much easier! :regd09:

Have any of you guys managed to get a riposte on him at any part other than the end of the fight? I hit him in the head for the whole thing and he only got staggered at the very end. The same thing happened in my first fight with him. I think it might be a cinematic kill.

It's not. He had exactly a sliver of health left after I reposted him for a good fifth of his health.

On the flipside, Yhorm's Great Machete buffed with War Cry was bopping him for 600 HP a hit on the head, 1030 with a charged attack. I don't think I could have beaten this fight with the Claymore, this thing needs a serious beat down to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.

In the meantime, time to look around for someone with Lothric's sword so I can pull out the stops as a Spear of the Church! :twisted:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

to be honest the final boss theme of DS3 is kinda the souls game equivalent of that, only it makes you tear up instead of going FUUCK YEAAAHHH

"please I'm trying to fight the lass boss, face why are you leaking" :qq: I swear that was one of the best moments for me in the souls franchise, I love DS3s final boss so much and I simply can't understand why anyone would dislike it.

Anyway, I'm gonna be completely honest and say that I hate it when soundtracks have vocals in them (that aren't just washed out chanting in an archaic language or choirs). I have no idea why, I just really dislike it :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 30, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I imagine it's probably because it subconsciously takes you out of the immersion, to hear random voices from nowhere singing thematically appropriate lyrics about what you're doing and the enemy's motivations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

obviously dark souls needed a 3 stage boss where this music plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzQlqElLYps

by the time you get to the 3rd version about 3 and a half minutes in you've realized you might be in over your head

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Johnny Joestar posted:

obviously dark souls needed a 3 stage boss where this music plays

by the time you get to the 3rd version about 3 and a half minutes in you've realized you might be in over your head

Frankly I'm more surprised about this than the no-lyrics thing. As far as I can tell there aren't any longer-than-2-stage boss fights where the music changes 3 times or more. Friede, maybe, and I just didn't notice?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weeping Wound posted:

It's not. He had exactly a sliver of health left after I reposted him for a good fifth of his health.

On the flipside, Yhorm's Great Machete buffed with War Cry was bopping him for 600 HP a hit on the head, 1030 with a charged attack. I don't think I could have beaten this fight with the Claymore, this thing needs a serious beat down to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.

In the meantime, time to look around for someone with Lothric's sword so I can pull out the stops as a Spear of the Church! :twisted:

I had a lot of success with Pestilent Mercury, just cast it once and focus on rolling around for like 30 seconds while it damages him. It does like 2000 damage per cast since his hitbox is so huge he'll almost always be touching it, and I got 10 casts per ashen estus with 18 ATN.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Frankly I'm more surprised about this than the no-lyrics thing. As far as I can tell there aren't any longer-than-2-stage boss fights where the music changes 3 times or more. Friede, maybe, and I just didn't notice?

Unless there's subtle differences I haven't noticed, Friede's music in phase 3 is the same as in phase 2.

And honestly, I think it works super well. The first phase music is so ethereal, then phase 2 kicks in with the super loud choir and brass, then you beat phase 2 and everything goes silent..... SUPER LOUD CHOIR CHANT RETURNS :getin:

I think the phase1+2 music from Friede's fight might be my favorite in the series, or at least among the top. DS3 has so much amazing music, Iudex Gundyr is super memorable, Vordt phase 2 is extremely hype, Twin Princes is a beautiful and memorable one too. And then there's the Nameless King which is quite different from the other tracks in the series which make it really stand out (and I love it so much)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeM7L_MQYiU

The part at 1:00 always gets me :allears:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 30, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the Crystal Sage fight's music, and how when it vanishes into the ground after the first phase it completely stops for a couple seconds even though the boss isn't dead. And then suddenly, surprise, more big hats than you could ever wear!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was trying to think of any fights in DS3 that are subdued when it comes to the music and I remember Phase 1 of Friede. That's a really good fight in terms of tone and the music really helps to sell it.

Your Computer posted:

"please I'm trying to fight the lass boss, face why are you leaking" :qq: I swear that was one of the best moments for me in the souls franchise, I love DS3s final boss so much and I simply can't understand why anyone would dislike it.

Anyway, I'm gonna be completely honest and say that I hate it when soundtracks have vocals in them (that aren't just washed out chanting in an archaic language or choirs). I have no idea why, I just really dislike it :iiam:

I'm the same way. I can enjoy music with lyrics as long as I don't understand it, but when I do its hard for me to enjoy it. Its dumb but its just the way I am.

Actually one kind of music I like is when I can understand like, half the lyrics, but the rest seems like gibberish. It creates a weird feeling in my brain of partial understanding that's somehow pleasing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I was trying to think of any fights in DS3 that are subdued when it comes to the music and I remember Phase 1 of Friede. That's a really good fight in terms of tone and the music really helps to sell it.

And it even plays into the fight itself! If you're using headphones (which I highly recommend when playing a Souls game) you can hear her draw her breath before going invisible, then shortly after you can hear where she landed. This obviously wouldn't have worked if the music was more bombastic.

I mean, I know it's because I've fought her a million times but I can't even listen to the soundtrack now without my mind filling in those sounds :allears:

kinda like how I expect to hear a FHOOM parry sound at the start of the Pontiff Sulyvahn soundtrack

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Your Computer posted:

it sounds like an anime

Not as anime as the opening song in the original Dragon's Dogma(rip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Were the lovely fire testicles from Izalith always in the smoldering lake? It's been so long I don't remember.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

Were the lovely fire testicles from Izalith always in the smoldering lake? It's been so long I don't remember.

If you mean the demon statues then yeah, those guys have always been there. Cause they had to bring back such a memorable enemy for such an amazing area. :regd09:

Should of been the Chaos Eaters.

EDIT: lmao if you let the ash guy in the last area crawl to Filianore he just drops dead randomly

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 30, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Internet Kraken posted:

If you mean the demon statues then yeah, those guys have always been there. Cause they had to bring back such a memorable enemy for such an amazing area. :regd09:

Should've been the dragon butts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I remember how excited everyone was that Dark Souls 3 was going to have more demons, less dudes in armor! But the demons all kind of suck because they feel really generic and are just like, flaming rock-tree monsters. Like the bed of chaos, the demon no one likes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there an easy to understand guide on spellcasting in this game? I'm talking stuff like spellbuff, optimal stats, weapon arts, infusions, etc.

I realized I still haven't done a pure caster build in this game, and a big reason for it is that I simply have no idea how it works.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I was actually just about to post some buff questions too, I don't normally mess with them because I go for raw strength but since I'm messing with the executioner's sword I figure I might as well buff it. Which buffs are good/best assuming I don't really give a poo poo about stat investments? I like the idea of grabbing dark weapon at some point, because hexes were fun in two but I suspect it's not as ridiculous in this game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Is there an easy to understand guide on spellcasting in this game? I'm talking stuff like spellbuff, optimal stats, weapon arts, infusions, etc.

I realized I still haven't done a pure caster build in this game, and a big reason for it is that I simply have no idea how it works.

pure caster just use the court sorcerers staff at 60 int for casting magic sorceries. for casting dark sorceries use izalith staff. pyro hand for casting pyromancies.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno what all the raw numbers are, but my +10 heavy exile curved greatsword definitely feels a hell of a lot more effective after this great balance patch

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

pure caster just use the court sorcerers staff at 60 int for casting magic sorceries. for casting dark sorceries use izalith staff. pyro hand for casting pyromancies.

I know that much, but I'm trying to understand why the Court Sorcerer's Staff is the best (I mean, obviously it deals the most damage) and how the different catalysts, chimes and such differ.

There might be less options than a melee build but surely there's not just 1 viable weapon for spellcasters?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJDimvPW1Y

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I know that much, but I'm trying to understand why the Court Sorcerer's Staff is the best (I mean, obviously it deals the most damage) and how the different catalysts, chimes and such differ.

There might be less options than a melee build but surely there's not just 1 viable weapon for spellcasters?

simplest way to think of it is base damage and scaling. at lower int levels sorcerer staff or some other staff is better than court sorcerers staff due to having higher base damage but worse scaling. at 60 int court sorcerer and sage crystal staff out do the other staffs due to having better scaling to int. technically sage crystal staff is best if youre willing to use the buff move but nobody bothers to do that so everyone just uses court sorcerer staff. apparently the most magic damage you can actually do is with 60 faith with the archdeacon staff but that requires you to do 60 faith so eh.
as far as viablity, you have 3 weapons to upgrade, izalith staff to do dark damage, pyro hand to do fire damage and court sorcerer staff to do magic damage. plus any melee weapon you might decide to get.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 30, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Yodzilla posted:

What's up with the "greatsword" that's actually a halberd that the old lady at the beginning of Ringed City sells you? It seems like it completely sucks and was just kind of shoved in there.

you mean the best strength halberd in the game with one of the most versatile weapon arts ever?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

The one time I went pure wizard I just rushed the moonlight great sword (I don't recommend this btw, it's poo poo if you don't have good spells and can't swing a sword that isn't trash) and then spent the rest of the game just chugging souls straight into the INT slot. I was the best drat wizard in the world and anyone who didn't agree got stabbed.

Iretep posted:

simplest way to think of it is base damage and scaling. at lower int levels sorcerer staff or some other staff is better than court sorcerers staff due to having higher base damage but worse scaling. at 60 int court sorcerer and sage crystal staff out do the other staffs due to having better scaling to int. technically sage crystal staff is best if youre willing to use the buff move but nobody bothers to do that so everyone just uses court sorcerer staff. apparently the most magic damage you can actually do is with 60 faith with the archdeacon staff but that requires you to do 60 faith so eh.
as far as viablity, you have 3 weapons to upgrade, izalith staff to do dark damage, pyro hand to do fire damage and court sorcerer staff to do magic damage. plus any melee weapon you might decide to get.

So the tool you use to buff your poo poo with matters? What about the other buffs? Blessing and frost weapon?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also I wonder how the DLC catalysts, chimes and spells measure up. Maybe I could do a Zelda build where I shoot everything with Light Arrows :sparkles:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you're not using the preacher's arm after this DLC then you just hate fun.

EDIT: I kind of want to try my sorcery invader again to use that but that was pretty miserable most of the time.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 30, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Surely there is a fix out there for the ambient sound constantly being reset/interrupted whenever another sound plays? I checked the OP, and Google, but I couldn't find an answer. I'm talking about, for example, the sound of wind blowing in the background, and then doing something like open up the menu. The menu sound plays, the background sound restarts. It's really jarring.

Since this is a console thread too, specs I guess. Win10, nvidia gtx980ti, Soundblaster Z with current drivers, all the other hardware pretty much is way beyond the recommendations for DS3.

Node fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 30, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
no but seriously I'm about to tell you why splitleaf greatsword is the best strength halberd in the game

first let me explain the weapon art

the weapon art is a stance that drains stamina and also attacks at the same time, this is important because it requires no FP to helicopter, only stamina

1: S scaling in STR when heavy

2: afaik slightly above average range for a halberd

3: r1 combos with spin, which then combos with r1 from spin I believe

4: mixups galore from that combo, meaning you can throw off parry timing very easily or roll catch with different variations of the r1 to either spin or second r1 combo, seriously, you have so many moveset options that ALL give hyper armor, it's so loving good

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I finally beat the Demon Prince, though at the expense of a Divine Blessing (I kept getting hit accidentally by the attack that's almost a one-hit kill from full health).

I take some time to take in the vista of the new area next to the bonfire in the Ringed City. Huh, are those weird crystals in the far distance?

I am shot to death by ghost archers.
:darksouls:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

Turning into the sprite for that was literally the first time I have ever used it (well the equivalent item) across all 3 games

One of the dumber and more fun things you could do in DS2 was to cast Homing Soulmass or Pursuers, then Chameleon. You'll turn into a geometry object but the soulmasses remain. The Battle Barrel was a surprisingly effective tactic. :v:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I haven't been able to play this DLC and have been seeing diverse reactions on social media. Is it good, okay, or a horrible crime that shall be carved into the foreheads of the developers, lest they forget their horrendous sins?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way, does the Ringed City sort of look familiar to anyone else? It looks a bit like Oolacile mixed with the Undead Parish to me from the first bonfire.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I haven't been able to play this DLC and have been seeing diverse reactions on social media. Is it good, okay, or a horrible crime that shall be carved into the foreheads of the developers, lest they forget their horrendous sins?

Design wise it's better than ashes. Story wise it's meh. Compared to other From DLCs it's still below par.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The final required boss of the dlc is my favorite boss in the series now

I don't really care about lore but it's a really fun fight

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 30, 2017

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Way better than Ashes. Story wise it's fine, a good conclusion to the DLC arc and a nice farewell to the series. Compared to other From DLCs it's definitely worth its price.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, does the Ringed City sort of look familiar to anyone else? It looks a bit like Oolacile mixed with the Undead Parish to me from the first bonfire.
yeah, and the Demon Prince arena is DS1's Firelink Shrine. The stairs up to the church where you can drop attack the headless guys definitely made me think of the part with the boar in Undead Parish.

The description of Ornstein's armor, found in the swamp, suggests he's just been sort of floating there since the Champion of Ash kicked his rear end however many centuries before, (though I thought Dragonslayer Armor was explicitly NOT Ornstein, since you find his gear at Archdragon Peak??? so I'm guessing plenty of... bits of Lothric are floating around too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is it more substantial than Ashes?