Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

Rihanna was one of the ringleaders in a student strike today, where they all took over the office and spent hours yelling at the principal/refusing to go back to class. There's a manifesto taped to the principal's computer and when I left they'd stolen fancy padded chairs from somewhere and replaced the lovely ones in their classroom with them.

This is unrelated to the previous manifesto and not exactly a thing someone said but since there are fans here I thought I'd update.

Will they be sent to reeducation camps? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Grand Fromage posted:

Rihanna was one of the ringleaders in a student strike today, where they all took over the office and spent hours yelling at the principal/refusing to go back to class. There's a manifesto taped to the principal's computer and when I left they'd stolen fancy padded chairs from somewhere and replaced the lovely ones in their classroom with them.

This is unrelated to the previous manifesto and not exactly a thing someone said but since there are fans here I thought I'd update.

Rihanna is kind of a badass :colbert:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Grand Fromage posted:

Which really just makes it more impressive, IMO.

Someone should tell Rihanna that a bunch of internet people think she's a badass.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I reiterate my statement about her being in my top 5 people list.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Goddamn, I chose yesterday to have the flu and missed the whole thing! Apparently they were in protest against the two new teachers, who are creepy as poo poo, always skulking and never teaching, yet somehow have enormous administrative power. Rihanna warned me at the beginning of the year that one of them was a Party stooge and I thought she was just loving with me until I met the guy- Creep City.

If anything else awesome happens today, GF or I will let you know.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Rihanna is loving cool.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

:drat: they got the motherfucker fired! Or at least taken out of this campus. Thank freaking god; he was literally the most useless, feckless piece of crap I've ever worked with in this country. Go, Rihanna! You saved me from soooo many awkward conversations where I have to literally count three and explain something that's already been explained to this guy two hundred times.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

:drat: they got the motherfucker fired! Or at least taken out of this campus. Thank freaking god; he was literally the most useless, feckless piece of crap I've ever worked with in this country. Go, Rihanna! You saved me from soooo many awkward conversations where I have to literally count three and explain something that's already been explained to this guy two hundred times.

At this point you or GF has to make a Rhianna thread.

Ninja Edit:

Hmm, now that I type that out I can see that has HUGE potential to get out of hand in a *bad* way. A bunch of goons following the exploits of an underage Chinese student. That can go nowhere but wrong.

But I'll also join the Rhianna fan club. She sounds like she's going to do interesting things in the future.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have thought about telling her that I tell my friend funny things she says and taking questions from the thread for her to answer (through me), but I'm not sure if that's 1. kinda creepy, and 2. something she'd even want to do, since she can be very shy sometimes. Maybe once I leave in June, I can ask her if she'd be willing.

Also, I desperately want to introduce her to Tank Girl now. The only Western pop culture I know she likes are Adele, Rihanna, and Two Broke Girls (she looooooves Kat Dennings). I think she would respond to Tank Girl's general badassery well, though I'm not sure about the wisdom of "Tank [anything]" in China.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Are the names you use in this thread just pseudonyms or do they pick their own English name as part of the class?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They all pick their own English names but Rihanna is not the name she uses. I forget where it came from.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

They all pick their own English names but Rihanna is not the name she uses. I forget where it came from.

Because she spent a whole class day last year singing "rude girl girl tell me did you pass the test" to me.

P.S. She did.

Rihanna is the only English name I've changed because her English name is the only one distinctive enough that there might not actually be another student at a similar program in China with the same one. There are ten million Toms and Jims and Lucys. Even Lucky is not that original. The only other one I maybe should have changed is Bluce, but if his English level ever gets high enough that he can find this website, I'll be too drat impressed to care if I get sued.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I know GF from the Chinese thread, but do you also speak Chinese? Had no idea you both knew Rihanna. Kid rules. :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I feel like this story about the school is huge, and that we're missing lots of small pieces.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Seriously is there a "ask me about being a teacher in china" thread im missing out that has all the backstory and like great firewalls of china why you arent in jail or something for being redgoons?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
My five year old nephew's brother has had a cold this past week. It's caused some sleepless nights.

My sister was up with the baby in the middle of the night.

Nephew: "Ugh, Alec, you're killin' me!"

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

Seriously is there a "ask me about being a teacher in china" thread im missing out that has all the backstory and like great firewalls of china why you arent in jail or something for being redgoons?

There are two (maybe three) China threads already, but I'd be down to write about that. GF has been here longer than I have. We have essentially the same job, so couldn't offer that many perspectives, but I'm sure some of the China goons who are teaching or have taught would have some hilarious stories.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I know GF from the Chinese thread, but do you also speak Chinese? Had no idea you both knew Rihanna. Kid rules. :allears:

I do not speak Chinese. I'm egregiously bad at picking up Chinese, in fact. I had a lot less trouble in Japan and Korea because of loanwords and alphabets.

Choco1980 posted:

I feel like this story about the school is huge, and that we're missing lots of small pieces.

Yep. And so much poo poo went down yesterday that it's crazy, but I only got one Rihanna quote out of it:

RIHANNA: "You know [Bob] and [Joe]?" (The teachers that were removed from our campus)
ME: "Uh, yeah."
RIHANNA: *whispering* "They are bitches." :smug:

Lord help her, she was right.

Should I post the story of what happened adjacent to and after their protest on Wednesday? It doesn't really fit in the thread, but it's a stunning tale of mismanagement, misogyny, and stealing chairs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I do not speak Chinese. I'm egregiously bad at picking up Chinese, in fact. I had a lot less trouble in Japan and Korea because of loanwords and alphabets.

I also do not really speak Chinese, once I realized it was a huge waste of time I stopped learning.

We don't have the best stories because by China standards our school is actually well run and organized and relatively functional. This has been quite the week but most of the time it's just a normal high school, there's not a lot to say.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I also do not really speak Chinese, once I realized it was a huge waste of time I stopped learning.

We don't have the best stories because by China standards our school is actually well run and organized and relatively functional. This has been quite the week but most of the time it's just a normal high school, there's not a lot to say.

Yeah, compared to anywhere I taught in Korea, this place is still pretty good.

e: come over and play Mario Kart?
ee: Never mind, we moved the Wii U to Spain already. Come over and make Eggs Benedict for me and then go away?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Should I post the story of what happened adjacent to and after their protest on Wednesday? It doesn't really fit in the thread, but it's a stunning tale of mismanagement, misogyny, and stealing chairs.

This is basically the Rhianna Appreciation Station, so I say go for it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A friend heard her 4 year old son fall out of bed in the middle of the night and lay there quietly expecting to have to get up when the crying started. Instead, from the other room she heard a muffled "oh, for gently caress's sake" and he climbed back into bed.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

GWBBQ posted:

A friend heard her 4 year old son fall out of bed in the middle of the night and lay there quietly expecting to have to get up when the crying started. Instead, from the other room she heard a muffled "oh, for gently caress's sake" and he climbed back into bed.

I want that child to become President or Prime Minister or Chancellor of whatever country he lives in, because he is awesome as hell.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

I want that child to become President or Prime Minister or Chancellor of whatever country he lives in, because he is awesome as hell.
He's the same age as the current president and much more likable.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yes.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Please do, because of my skewed western views I'm very interested to know how this played out. I thought respect of elders/adults was a very big thing there, and for there to be a mini-uprising intrigues me!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Friend of mine took his daughter who's I think 3 "to Disney". They saw all the princesses and "Donald, from Mickey Mouse"

Anyway, he was recording a thing & he was just talking out loud "I thought Mulan was substandard, [idk something about last time? blah blah]" and his daughter is just like "No! Mulan is real!" with that set face like "don't you dare disagree"

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Was at my nephew's birthday party yesterday, he turned 4 and he's a little to moderately autistic. When my sister brought the cake out and everyone started singing he started shushing us and saying "No! Shhh! Stop!" and not because he like hates loud noises, he just doesn't like other people singing cause he's supposed to be the one singing. Actually he might've just been directing that at my sister, like he hates his mom's singing maybe. Which would be amusing to me since she hated our mom's singing.

Side-note: All the other kids were girls, everyone was slightly amused that just happened to be the case, but they're who he hangs out with mostly and the one's brother was grounded for some terrible reason I never got an explanation for but I think it involved bad words.

Also at one point one this happened:
Little Girl: "Katy locked herself in the bathroom!"
Her mom: "Is she okay?"
LG: "Yes, but she won't let me in"
HM: "You shouldn't go in there when she's using the bathroom"
LG: "But she's not, we're playing hide n seek"
Katy's Mom: "Katy! Stop cheating!"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A Black Lives Matter march went right by my apartment, and so I tried to explain to my five-year-old daughter what the movement was about. Once I finished my explanation...

"Yeah! And my baby sister is white so she's White Lives Matter!"

:whitewater:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Fleta, if you start a seperate thread for your stories, you darn better link it here. :colbert:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

Fleta, if you start a seperate thread for your stories, you darn better link it here. :colbert:

Would there be any interest in just "Ask us about working in a Chinese school?" If so, I'm down to start it.

AMBER: "Who killed the Neanderthals? It was Amber."
ME; "Really, you did that?"
AMBER: "Yes, I am a killer."
ME: "Well, if you really killed all the Neanderthals, you're getting a detention."
AMBER: "Nooooo! I did it, but it was Yolanda's idea!"
YOLANDA: *indiscriminate squawking noises of rage*
AMBER: "Yolanda killed EVERYBODY with her...big bra!"
YOLANDA: *turns bright red and slams head into desk, covering her face and moaning*

They graduate in two weeks!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Would there be any interest in just "Ask us about working in a Chinese school?" If so, I'm down to start it.

Yes, absolutely.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

AMBER: "Yolanda killed EVERYBODY with her...big bra!"
YOLANDA: *turns bright red and slams head into desk, covering her face and moaning*

let's see this Yolanda...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ladron posted:

You'd actually be disappointed in the collective amount of boob in that class. Pretty airporty up in there.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Asking fleta to post pictures of her school-aged students because you think they might have big boobs is kind of creepy!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ladron posted:

stop creeping on chinese kids

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
maybe not creep on anybody :shrug:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

maybe not creep on anybody :shrug:

#alllivesmatter

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Slime posted:

#alllivesmatter

*smack* bad slime.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I don't think ladron meant it in a creepy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's very charitable of you but I don't see another way he could have meant it.