Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
deaf people freak me the gently caress out man, looking at ur teeth and lips and trying to guess what noises you are wheezing out of ur voice box

weird bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nazzadan posted:

Still catching up and sorry if kidney-kid was a huge derail and I'm bringing it back up, but the whole half-sibling thing is almost never a legitimate issue unless you are not raised together. If you grow up with your half sibling, by all accounts they are as much your sibling as if the same parents poo poo you both out.

It's relevant because the person pushing the kidney donation the hardest is his not-father. The issue isn't the relationship he has with his sibling, the issue is that a father is more inclined to protect his progeny than somebody else's.

I don't think it would be okay if his mom was the one spearheading the charge against him either, but it certainly wouldn't carry the same implications

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 30, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ArbitraryC posted:

this thread is full of young women his daughter's age in terrible relationships with predatory dudes tho.

Yeah but I don't think abstinence is going to stop that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

therobit posted:

A deaf person with an implant is still a deaf person and the "hearing" is not the same as with natural ears. One of my wife's relatives was deaf from 3 until his 50s and then got an implant. He still needs to read your lips to understand what you say.

If you get a cochlear implant ASAP they're apparently pretty good, but the longer you go without the more of the hearing-related parts of your brain turn to pudding and once you've lost that capacity it's unrecoverable. The 'deaf culture' slapfight over kids is either you fix em right away and they don't grow up Deaf or you let em sit and their capacity to process sounds is hosed forever, there is no waiting or letting them sort it out when they grow up.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 30, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I once saw someone unironically use the term "Deaf Genocide" in response to cochlear implant technology :shepface:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

therobit posted:

Yes is is basically child abuse not to get it for your kid if you are able.

Child abuse by any reasonable person's definition but perhaps arguable in court under the "Jehovah's Witnesses can deny their kids a transplant or transfusion" theory :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

I once saw someone unironically use the term "Deaf Genocide" in response to cochlear implant technology :shepface:

Its a real thing I got chewed out over in real life. Also, Autism Genocide.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

are those autistic people who are Pro Vaxxers BECAUSE of Jenny McCarthy?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Barudak posted:

I've seen this in real life and had minor arguments about it with my girlfriend. On the one hand, people are insulted when they feel that people are saying that they (or their children) are totally broken the way they are and need to be fixed. Apparently there is controversy over a big foundation (autism speaks, maybe) because of their "search for the cure" campaign. There's also a lot of slapfighting over how much exactly a person with severe autism should be taught/trained to minimize their unsociable behaviors. These are reasonable discussions to have.

However, when someone implies that a cure for autism would be a bad thing it's usually a parent of an autistic child and it is merely a coping mechanism for them. Dealing with that as a family is absolutely life-changing for everyone involved and the idea that autism would just one day be magically cured cheapens (in their mind) what they've been through and their intense love for their child.

I don't agree at all. Having worked with severely autistic individuals I think a) a cure would be an absolutely wonderful thing for humanity but is a long way off and b) medication itself is often under-utilized in this situation. I understand not wanting to drug a person up who can't necessarily consent, but their anxiety is so painful to watch I often wish I could slip them a Xanax or two and give them some loving relief which their parents refuse to do.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

isn't Autism Speaks the group of like Very Concerned liberal types who've carefully excluded any actual autistics from leadership roles in the organization because lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

isn't Autism Speaks the group of like Very Concerned liberal types who've carefully excluded any actual autistics from leadership roles in the organization

Probably, although to be fair autistic people don't really make the best leaders, ya know?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

Deaf person 1: what did the hearing person say to the other hearing person?
Deaf person 2: I dont know, what?
Deaf person 1: <screams at the absolute loudest they can>

lmao

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I Was The Fury posted:

loving gross.

The dad, too be clear, is the loving gross one.

"I SAW HIS WEINER SPECIFICALLY IN YOUR BUTTHOLE, I MADE SURE"

I didn't check genders until reading your post and thought​ the mom was writing it. Either way, it really is gross.

"No college for you, little missy, until I'm in charge of your genitalia!"

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
As an autistic person with an autistic kid (both high functioning) I was absolutely pro vax to start with but Jenny McCarthy made me an angry pro vaxxer

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

isn't Autism Speaks the group of like Very Concerned liberal types who've carefully excluded any actual autistics from leadership roles in the organization because lol

They also promote actively abusive practices IIRC

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Child abuse by any reasonable person's definition but perhaps arguable in court under the "Jehovah's Witnesses can deny their kids a transplant or transfusion" theory :smith:

Jehovah's witnesses cannot do that.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Improbable Lobster posted:

They also promote actively abusive practices IIRC

Please elaborate.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

therobit posted:

Please elaborate.

I think that's a huge exaggeration but in the autism world there is always this dichotomy between allowing an autistic person to be who they are vs. helping them fit in to the larger world and be as independent and conformist (in terms of social expectations) as possible. Autism speaks is in the latter camp, and the techniques for accomplishing those goals can be controversial.

I worked as an ABA technician, Applied Behavior Analysis. I've never done anything unethical but it is pretty much literally like animal training. It's the only thing that works though, some find it to be a bad thing.

That might not be what they're talking about, though. Autism Speaks is also very criticized for the way they spend their money. Too much overhead and too much promotional spending. Then again some criticize them for even putting money towards finding a cure to autism so there will always be a lot of controversy in that world.

e: it doesn't help that autism is extremely mysterious as far as conditions go. Very little is understood about it. I'm not super educated on the topic but I think part of the increase in autism is due to environmental factors (not vaccines but standard byproducts of an industrialized society)

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
can we use autismals to power our VR networks of the future?

I don't mean like the matrix or something, more like heaps of treadmills or cycle machines or something

hook em right into the grid

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My (27f) husband (28m) of 8 years got 10 years in prison for meth use and dealing. I'm planning on divorcing him because I'm fed up with all his drama. This will devastate him so how do I tell him? During a visit or via letter?

quote:

"Antoino" has been trouble for me since I was 15. At one point I really did love him, when I was younger and more naive. This latest arrest happened two years ago and I haven't touched or not seen him behind glass since.

His trial just closed and despite his insisted that he's innocent, he was found guilty and given 10 years in state prison. With his time served he could be eligible for parole in about 3. He's currently in county awaiting his transfer.

The thing is, I've had it with him. loving had it. I've wasted so much time on him and I want a fresh start. I already have had some platonic dates with a really nice guy and its such a fresh thing to be with a nice guy who has a job, and acts like a man.

I have no idea how to break it off with and divorce him because he says the thought of touching me again is what keeps him on his behavior looking out for parole.

This is my dilemma: because we dint know his movement date to state, any one of my weekly visits could be my last chance to see him until visitations at state get worked out, which could be months. If I want to tell him in person I need to do it soon, before his move. But with that AND the move, I can see him doing just about anything from freaking out.

Should I just wait and send him a letter when he gets to state or should I just tell him? I'm sick of his letters, I'm sick of his exuses, I'm sick of his horrible raps and slam poems. I want to start me new life.

I know this is probably different question than most but I'd love some advice. Thank you.

the one right above this one was I think my [21m] girlfriend's [22f] bruschetta is terrible but she keeps making it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jeff Sichoe posted:

can we use autismals to power our VR networks of the future?

I don't mean like the matrix or something, more like heaps of treadmills or cycle machines or something

hook em right into the grid

Autismatons.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

the one right above this one was I think my [21m] girlfriend's [22f] bruschetta is terrible but she keeps making it.
this one had a great comment:

quote:

I know someone that eats their least favorite food first, to get it over with. A particular hostess now thinks that's her favorite food and always serves it to her. Don't let this be your fate.

I totally do that too, I find it easier to eat whatever I would normally find least palatable if I'm hungry so I just mow through whatever side i'm not a fan of to get it out of the way without being rude.

e: honestly he should just go for the long con, keep lyin for years and years and years and then bust it out in some gigantic argument.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 30, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
There's this guy on Facebook a friend exposed me to who thinks his autism makes him genetically superior to everyone around him because he is completely logical and detached from most emotions and/or doesn't understand them. He is also constantly posting insane Zionist conspiracy theory videos, casually throws around vitriolic racism, sexism and misogyny etc and writes small novels about these topics regularly, commenting on his own posts to elaborate. It's really a sight to behold.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

I totally do that too, I find it easier to eat whatever I would normally find least palatable if I'm hungry so I just mow through whatever side i'm not a fan of to get it out of the way without being rude.

e: honestly he should just go for the long con, keep lyin for years and years and years and then bust it out in some gigantic argument.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

Or even better "I love you so much I ate this thing that I hate the taste of with a smile on my face for 10 years. "

To which she will reply "Then why is it so hard to reciprocate oral sex?"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Play posted:

I think that's a huge exaggeration but in the autism world there is always this dichotomy between allowing an autistic person to be who they are vs. helping them fit in to the larger world and be as independent and conformist (in terms of social expectations) as possible. Autism speaks is in the latter camp, and the techniques for accomplishing those goals can be controversial.

I worked as an ABA technician, Applied Behavior Analysis. I've never done anything unethical but it is pretty much literally like animal training. It's the only thing that works though, some find it to be a bad thing.

That might not be what they're talking about, though. Autism Speaks is also very criticized for the way they spend their money. Too much overhead and too much promotional spending. Then again some criticize them for even putting money towards finding a cure to autism so there will always be a lot of controversy in that world.

e: it doesn't help that autism is extremely mysterious as far as conditions go. Very little is understood about it. I'm not super educated on the topic but I think part of the increase in autism is due to environmental factors (not vaccines but standard byproducts of an industrialized society)

It only looks like 'animal training' if you don't know much about it. Its operant conditioning. In other words, teaching. ABA is used to develop graduate courses and train surgeons, too.

The main criticism I see with it is "B-b-b-but you are making this 5-year-old child who poses a danger to himself learn to follow instructions!"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Who's even proud of bruschetta of all things, toast is hardly a thing you could call cooking.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ArbitraryC posted:

Who's even proud of bruschetta of all things, toast is hardly a thing you could call cooking.

food nerds

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

There's this guy on Facebook a friend exposed me to who thinks his autism makes him genetically superior to everyone around him because he is completely logical and detached from most emotions and/or doesn't understand them. He is also constantly posting insane Zionist conspiracy theory videos, casually throws around vitriolic racism, sexism and misogyny etc and writes small novels about these topics regularly, commenting on his own posts to elaborate. It's really a sight to behold.

I remember an E/N thread where someone was advising a woman on dealing with her BEEP-BOOP MY NUMBERS ARE LOGICAL YOU ARE EMOTIONAL HOOMAN husband. They framed it as an equation where a very important set of numbers (the emotional component) gets thrown out. And no matter how small the number in an equation, if you ignore it you're going to end up with the wrong answer.

I also wonder if these folks deal with clients the same way. "Mr. Brady, I know you'd really a ranch home because it reminds you of your childhood but I'm going to build a colonial because quite frankly, I find your choice illogical."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Das Boo posted:

I remember an E/N thread where someone was advising a woman on dealing with her BEEP-BOOP MY NUMBERS ARE LOGICAL YOU ARE EMOTIONAL HOOMAN husband. They framed it as an equation where a very important set of numbers (the emotional component) gets thrown out. And no matter how small the number in an equation, if you ignore it you're going to end up with the wrong answer.

I also wonder if these folks deal with clients the same way. "Mr. Brady, I know you'd really a ranch home because it reminds you of your childhood but I'm going to build a colonial because quite frankly, I find your choice illogical."

Most of them are not allowed near external customers for good reason.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

therobit posted:

Oh, not even outright autistic. Just the 100% logic= 100% correct way of thinking. The dude in question was an engineer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

therobit posted:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Danaru posted:

Had a bizarre argument with a deaf guy, where he insisted he was 'superior' because he could 'sleep though thunderstorms'. When people told him that they, too could sleep through thunderstorms, and that sleeping through a dangerous one isn't always the best idea, he got angry and called everyone part of a 'Deaf Genocide'.

I didn't understand it then, either.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The deaf man I know was raised by a hearing family in the 50s and didn't even get the benefit of sign language or a school for the deaf. They just stuck him in school and told him to follow his older brother's lead. This of course lead to him being functionally illiterate but luckily he wa s able to become a machinist in a factory where he was discriminated against constantly. When he got his implant in the 90s it totally changed life for him and his family. When he gets really pissed off at his wife he shuts off his speech processor so he doesn't have to listen to her. To be fair I can't stand listening to her either though.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Khazar-khum posted:

Had a bizarre argument with a deaf guy, where he insisted he was 'superior' because he could 'sleep though thunderstorms'. When people told him that they, too could sleep through thunderstorms, and that sleeping through a dangerous one isn't always the best idea, he got angry and called everyone part of a 'Deaf Genocide'.

I didn't understand it then, either.

when I was a college freshmen there was a series of arsonist fires in the freshmen dorms, none of em severe just some rear end in a top hat lighting flyers on fire or w/e, still caused full building evacs where we had to wait outside for a while to determine if everything was safe. One of them happened at ~2am and I actually almost slept through it, like we're talkin fire alarms goin people pounding on my door etc but according to my floormates it was at least 2 minutes before I woke up, not even counting the time in between the alarm and people checking on me.

There was no real danger and everyone was p calm cause it happened like 6 times in 2 weeks around midterms but I still remember it and wonder what woulda happened if it was a real fire.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dienes posted:

It only looks like 'animal training' if you don't know much about it. Its operant conditioning. In other words, teaching. ABA is used to develop graduate courses and train surgeons, too.

The main criticism I see with it is "B-b-b-but you are making this 5-year-old child who poses a danger to himself learn to follow instructions!"

I know plenty about it, and operant conditioning is the way animals are trained. You're completely right that it's also teaching, but the two things are not mutually exclusive. It's teaching on the only level possible in the situation, and I definitely don't agree that it's a bad thing but some people do feel that way unfortunately.

I spoke to my gf about why some don't like Autism Speaks. One complaint is the lack of high-functioning autists in upper positions. The other is that people see their advertisements as scare-mongering. The ads are just ways to encourage donations for the cause so I don't agree with the complaints, but they do make the suggestion that autism is horrible and a tragedy for everyone involved. Obviously not everyone who has autism or an autistic family member can bring themselves to agree with that and I suppose I can understand that.

They also focus their resources on finding a "cure" for autism when some people believe more should go to families to help them cope. Both points of view are legitimate I suppose, with the first being more optimistic.

I like the point that someone made: being logical without taking into account human emotions isn't actually logical. Presumably the most logical solution to a problem takes every factor into account.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My [39M] girlfriend [24F] went out for drinks with her friend [22M] on my birthday

quote:

Off the bat, I know I'm going to sound a bit frazzled and incoherent here.

Ok. So. I've been with this girl for almost a year and this was the first birthday I've "spent" with her. She kept asking me what I wanted to do for my birthday but honestly it was annoying because I see my birthday as just another day. I assured her that I am far too old to want to throw a big bash for my birthday so I told her not to bother going out of her way to make it "special."

She ends up coming over the night before, brings me a very nice heart-felt card, some high-end takeout, and a movie she knew I wanted to see. She spends the night. It was a great night and I was glad she got the picture.

We go to work the next morning and she texts me saying she'd like to spend some more birthday time with me after work. It is somewhat typical that she'll spend a couple nights in a row at my place anyway, so of course I said she could come over.

Here's where the weirdness comes in. A couple hours into hanging out, she says something along the lines of "I think I'm gonna head out in an hour or so." I thought it was kind of weird because she normally stays over when she bothers to drive out (we live 45 minutes apart). I didn't think much of it though and was just like "ok that's cool."

About an hour later she is about to leave and throws in, "oh by the way, I'm going to grab some drinks with Ron. Want to come along? I'm sure he'd love to see you especially if I mention it's your birthday!"

Ron is a good friend of hers who I've met a couple times. Nice, funny kid. However, the few times I've hung out with the two of them I have felt like a 3rd wheel.

This is partially why I declined her offer to go out with them. Another part was that I suspected she initially planned to stay the night with me, and then received an invitation to hang out with Ron and preferred to do that. I don't know. I just seemed out of character for her to drive out and then not stay the night. She also knows I don't like to go out drinking anymore. It felt like a forced afterthought to invite me, to save face. She knew I'd say no.

I guess I'm just feeling insecure and jealous, and a bit hurt. Am I being crazy here? I know I told her not to take my birthday too seriously. But knowing she left to go hang out with a male friend who I know she has good chemistry is making me feel weird.

TL:DR Girlfriend bailed on me to hang out with male friend, I feel funny about it. Am I reading too much into it?

Reddit is, thankfully, ripping him to shreds

quote:

Your title seemed like the big deal was that it was your birthday, but you can't have it both ways here. If you want your birthday to be "just another day" and you tell your SO that... it's not wrong for her to consider it just another day like you said.

quote:

She sounds great. You do not. Pull yourself together

quote:

You're dating a child because no woman your own age would put up with this sulky bullshit.
You told her it was like any other day and now you're throwing a tantrum on reddit like a 14 year old.
You are way too old for this girl (ffs you referred to her friend of her age as a "kid"?) Break up with her so she can find someone her own age, not some loser big baby who won't communicate.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My wife is currently studying to be a sign language interpreter, and one of the courses is Deaf Culture. As such, we've discussed these topics quite a lot.

It's true that the deaf have a pretty strong sense of community. This comes from the historical repression they've experienced at the hands of the hearing. E.g. the Catholic Church has for a very long time refused to educate/school deaf people. Or another example, in Dutch the word for 'mute' is stom, a homonym which also means dumb. As such, it's no longer polite to refer to non-speaking people as such. Moreover, because people that can't speak because of other reasons (e.g. aphasia because of a stroke) aren't refered to as such.

Some (not all) see the implants as a way that Deaf culture (capital D) is being eroded. In addition, an implant doesn't allow you to hear, it allows you to hear a very small subset of sounds. It was described as listening to a cheap radio that's very badly tuned. As mentioned before, if you're not getting it when very young, you'll have a lot problems adjusting as you're not used to filtering out all the different things you hear; the implant doesn't do that for you. It also expresses in other ways, like being happy for a deaf couple their child is also deaf - which seems rather strange if you're hearing.

Deaf people's native language is sign language, which is why they sometimes might sound strange when writing stuff. Sign language grammar is different from what we're used to. Regarding lipreading, AFAIK you need to know the subject and even then, it's not easy. You just can't follow a random conversation.

sixth and maimed fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 30, 2017

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Hey look something happy

(UPDATE) I [21f] had a first date baking-date with my neighbour's grandson [24m] I don't know what to expect from here as he didn't kiss me.Updates

quote:

I kissed him inside the drat fort.

Hi everyone!

The date went very well. He really likes me (and told me himself) and said that he wanted to see me again.

He's coming over to hang out today after our date was cut short due to some family thing he had to sort out, so, before he left I grabbed his face and kissed him. He responded well ;)

I really like this guy.

Thank you to everybody who read the original post

Edit: And something infuriating

I [26F] just got dumped by bf [24m] of 2 years. Now we're moving together 1500 miles away. WTF is wrong w/ me?!?!

quote:

So, fun story. I couple years back I landed myself in a situation where I needed to find a cheap place to stay ASAP. I ended up finding a room for rent in a huge house filled with 4 guys and one other girl. All strangers. The girl was a B, but who cares. 3 of the guys were tools, each in their own way, but T and I [ex] kinda hit it off. Fast forward a few months and T and I start the whole FWB thing and it's GREAT! That lasts about a month and we start dating. Now he's never really been the affectionate type, but he is so very, very kind. He's handsome, motivated, intelligent, the whole package. Perfect man, no joke.

2 years later we have 2 dogs and a cat together, we've been living together our entire relationship, and still have NEVER been in a single argument about ANYTHING. I am dead serious, and yes, I know it sounds impossible. We are both VERY laid back and just naturally agree on almost everything. Neither of us are passive, and we communicate effectively. Trust has never been an issue in our relationship at all.

Fast forward to 2 days ago. I'm getting ready for work literally trying to put my second shoe on, and I get a text from him. It's the typical "nice guy break up text" long rant, I don't want to hurt you, you are so kind and caring, you don't deserve this.... but I'm moving out. He came home, I kind of laid into him (I was passed,) he cried, I cried, it sucked.

Honestly, we make GREAT roommates. Our cleaning philosophies are the same, we pay bills on time, we arent neat freaks, but it stays clean. And we help each other out with the others animals (one dog is mine, one is his, and the cat is ours.)

Before he came home I had decided that if we were done I wanted nothing to do with our apartment anymore, it was "ours." So, I decided I'd quit my job and move half way across the country to an area that both of us have always wanted to live. In a few hours time I had even found a place and a job, and was preparing to pack my things.

I realized that as much as the breakup hurt me, I still wanted him in my life, he has been my best friend for the last two years, and knows every drat thing about me. So I asked him to come with me, and be my roommate, just friends, separate rooms. I know it's crazy, but I honestly think we can make this work. He said yes. We have started selling literally EVERYTHING we own so we can start over in a new city, 1500 miles is too far to try to drag anything non essential. So we're going. So far we've made it two days and two nights without any major hiccups, I've broken down a couple of times, but he's been very kind, patient, and understanding with me. I'm usually the type to control my feelings better, so this is a bit of a rarity for me, but nothing he hasn't seen before.

But seriously, how insane am I to be doing this? Have I truly lost my mind? Should I even be moving in the first place? I have never even been there before! I can't help but think that there is something seriously wrong with me. Nothing about this situation is normal at all, and it's incredibly uncomfortable trying to explain it to friends.

Anyway, it's final, we're going, together. And once we get there, we're not telling anyone of our past. We WILL be "just friends."

tl;dr boyfriend of 2 years dumped me two days ago, I decided afterwards that I was going to move 1500 miles away, invited him to go with me and be my roommate, he said yes. We're going. We won't tell a soul once we get there. I'm starting to wonder if I am truly insane. (Btw he's actually a really great guy.)

Buzkashi fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sixth and maimed posted:

Or another example, in Dutch the word for 'mute' is stom, a homonym which also means dumb.

Ditto, English.

As in "deaf, dumb and blind"