Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD CUP OI OI OI

(Which is incidentally the worst chant in the entire world of sports)
Yid Army is p. bad especially now that none of them are jews. The holocaust chants against them are even worse.

e: 1952 - The Guardian prints news on its front page for the first time, shocking many. Charlie Chaplin is caught up in an immigration ban from the US due to his controversial mustache. Welsh republican dissidents attempt to blow up a water pipeline. Britain gets an atomic bomb and a new monarch and people will complain about both later on.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

e: 1952 - ... Charlie Chaplin is caught up in an immigration ban from the US due to his controversial mustache

I think the Mayans were right and civilisation is cyclical in a way.

I guess we're getting a new Cold War? At least maybe we'll get a new Space Race out of it and a terran diaspora.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

I think the Mayans were right and civilisation is cyclical in a way.

I guess we're getting a new Cold War? At least maybe we'll get a new Space Race out of it and a terran diaspora.

That's not how giant meteorites work, which the thread clearly repeatedly voted for.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

the BoE have put the tender for the contract to print their new £20s on hold, while they consider if it should be a requirement to use palm oil instead of animal byproduct for the small amount of fat involved in the process.
which of course through deforestation results in orders of magnitude more animal death than the < 1 cow worth of tallow in the entire £5s print run.

a win for the vegans

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

winegums posted:

So tories try to brexit. As it proceeds the dream falls apart. Most people realise their vision of brexit won't be realised and may/ the tories are seen to fail. Business, the historical ally of the tories gets uneasy that the country is about to fall apart.

Could the above lead to financial interests backing labour? I suppose they would be keen on a "moderate" tory instead ... but if the stench of failure clouded the whole party it might be hard to find someone up to the job ( especially given how many of the big names blew their lead in the last leadership bid)

Electable sane Labour? Maybe.

Howl at the moon stick it to the man Corbyn Labour? Eh....

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

That's not how giant meteorites work, which the thread clearly repeatedly voted for.

Ah yes, Giant Asteroid "Don't Know" has been gaining in the polls.
Well, at least when it scrapes us off the face of the planet, it will pick up some extremophile bacteria and will seed life somewhere else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

the BoE have put the tender for the contract to print their new £20s on hold, while they consider if it should be a requirement to use palm oil instead of animal byproduct for the small amount of fat involved in the process.
which of course through deforestation results in orders of magnitude more animal death than the < 1 cow worth of tallow in the entire £5s print run.

a win for the vegans
They should publish a comparative analysis of the number of animals that will be killed by each. It's like half a cow for the tallow method, I can't imagine the environmental effects of the palm oil will be less than that.

Of course, there are religious objections to the specific type of animal used, which the palm oil will solve, and Britain is keenly aware of the effects of such things.

They could always just make it from mutton tallow, which would be unobjectionable to Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, and Jews, and it's the traditional animal for ritual temple sacrifice.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Clearly the best response is to create a moneyless society.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Praseodymi posted:

Clearly the best response is to create a moneyless society.

Brexit is estimated take us 10% of the way there, so that's progress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the ideal case, but if they switched to mutton tallow they could actually ritually sacrifice the sheep to be used on an altar in front of the building at the start of the fiscal year.

It'd keep the tourists coming in, and it's by far one of the least odious things to be done in the name of British currency.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

Ah yes, Giant Asteroid "Don't Know" has been gaining in the polls.
Well, at least when it scrapes us off the face of the planet, it will pick up some extremophile bacteria and will seed life somewhere else.

That's not how it works either AFAIK. It just kinda shatters v :( v

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/847155356530814976

real fight, etc

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

"They will soon be calling me MR. BREXIT" - Jeremy Corbyn

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Guavanaut posted:

Yid Army is p. bad especially now that none of them are jews. The holocaust chants against them are even worse.

And who can forget that Scottish classic The Billy Boys. I've only.ever seen racism at games in England though. Contrastingly Arbroath is the politest ground I have ever been to, fans swapped ends round the terraces at half time and many shook hands. Was pre-season though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

"They will soon be calling me MR. BREXIT" - Jeremy Corbyn

But he's not really wrong, and the EU is already sending signals saying as much: That if they go through with Brexit, it WILL be near to impossible for 3-5 years for Britain to be part of the single market. Period.

EU is saying: "You had all the advantages in the EU, anything you really wanted, and you blew it. So no, no special treatment for you."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

It's a perfectly accurate descriptive statement though?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

You better tell that to the Norwegian, Icelandic, and Liechensteiner governments, then.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Private Speech posted:

That's not how it works either AFAIK. It just kinda shatters v :( v

I guess we can rename the asteroid as "UK's Economy" then

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TinTower posted:

You better tell that to the Norwegian, Icelandic, and Liechensteiner governments, then.

Did they join the EU, with the market upper hand in trade terms, and then blow it off because 'Sovreignity'?

No. They came the the EU, said they wanted in the market, but didn't want all the baggage from the get go, and the EU said 'Cool, welcome to the Market'. So, not the same.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

I guess we can rename the asteroid as "UK's Economy" then

Nah. Just look at the Lloyds move, 11% of business with the EU. Granted it's more like a third for banks, but it will still be manageable.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Namtab posted:

The death or glory boyz

I like that they've been amalgamated like three times since and kept the skull every time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Lancers

for our current heroic lads.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

So wait, since when were any of these countries EU members?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

I like that they've been amalgamated like three times since and kept the skull every time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Lancers

for our current heroic lads.
Indonesians, Poles, Pirates, or Glory!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Ah, the Great Repeal Bill.

"We'll initially copy-paste all applicable EU law such as workers' rights into UK law"
"Ugh. But can we get rid of those ghastly EU regulations?"
"That will be for Parliament to decide *wink wink*"

UK workers (me included? I dunno really) will get so shafted if Tories continue to be majority by 2019.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

So wait, since when were any of these countries EU members?

They aren't EU members but are full members of the single market.

There's nothing stopping the UK from applying to become an EFTA Member State. If Corbyn doesn't want to fight for the single market, he can do that, but he shouldn't make statements so brazenly wrong you can tell from five seconds on Wikipedia.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm working on some papers from around about the time franchise was extended to women in Australia, and was just tickled by this:

quote:

I have no news at all except of course that we women all voted for the first time. It was a great day and one felt so thoroughly important. Alice and I voted for the Free Traders as the Protectionists were all Labour men - but we are really Protectionists.
:fuckoff:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerebral Bore posted:

No it's entirely inaccurate.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm working on some papers from around about the time franchise was extended to women in Australia, and was just tickled by this:

:fuckoff:

Did her hair fall out too?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

UKMT April 2017 - You can't leave the EU! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Did her hair fall out too?

idgi

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TinTower posted:

They aren't EU members but are full members of the single market.

But they were never members of the EU. That's the trick.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CommieGIR posted:

But they were never members of the EU. That's the trick.

No country has ever left the EU.

To suggest that it's not possible to be in the Single Market without being in the EU is flat out wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pissflaps posted:

No country has ever left the EU.

To suggest that it's not possible to be in the Single Market without being in the EU is flat out wrong.

I didn't suggest that, but to pretend that a country that HAD the upper hand through the EU deserves to basically force the market that favored them to go through a bunch of poo poo because of very flimsy reasoning like 'Sovreignity', no, the UK is going to face some poo poo.

And that's not what Corbyn is saying either. He is saying that its not suprising that the EU is going to be both very cross and very skeptical about the UK having access to the Single Market when it can't be trusted to keep its word when it had proper access through EU membership.

You don't get to back out of a market arrangement where you are basically given the upper hand and cut said agreements made during that time, and then be suprised when all those groups in that market that made those agreements with you got mad when you backed out of those agreements with poor reasoning uttered by incompetant morons.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 30, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The eu is gonna gently caress the UK so hard and they will say no freedom of trade without freedom of movement.

And that's best case scenario

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Switzerland has access to the market because it agreed to EU bilaterals including freedom of movement. When a referendum passed to limit this movement, the Swiss government said "lol no you idiots" and punted it into row Z where it's stayed.

EDIT: A bit more than that.

quote:

The EU/CH bilateral treaties are all co-dependent, if one is terminated then all are terminated. Consequently, should Switzerland choose unilaterally to cancel the 'free movement' agreement then all its agreements with the EU will lapse unless a compromise is found.[4] On 22 December 2016, Switzerland and the EU concluded an agreement that a new Swiss law (in response to the referendum) may require Swiss employers to give priority to Swiss-based job seekers (Swiss nationals and foreigners registered in Swiss job agencies) but does not limit the free movement of EU workers to Switzerland.[5]

A stupid referendum passed on the basis of right-wing fervor, but because the Swiss government is somewhat competent, they came to an agreeable compromise with the EU that gives some concessions to the referendum and it's not going to wreck the Swiss economy because of it.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 30, 2017

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Switzerland we ain't. We're a lovely island that's full of itself - I doubt the EU will be willing to give the same sort of bilateral treaty as they gave the Swiss.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WMain00 posted:

Switzerland we ain't. We're a lovely island that's full of itself - I doubt the EU will be willing to give the same sort of bilateral treaty as they gave the Swiss.

The Swiss also had legitimate financial reason to want Single Market access without EU Membership, and had the political sway to make that happen.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CommieGIR posted:

I didn't suggest that, but to pretend that a country that HAD the upper hand through the EU deserves to basically force the market that favored them to go through a bunch of poo poo because of very flimsy reasoning like 'Sovreignity', no, the UK is going to face some poo poo.

And that's not what Corbyn is saying either. He is saying that its not suprising that the EU is going to be both very cross and very skeptical about the UK having access to the Single Market when it can't be trusted to keep its word when it had proper access through EU membership.

You don't get to back out of a market arrangement where you are basically given the upper hand and cut said agreements made during that time, and then be suprised when all those groups in that market that made those agreements with you got mad when you backed out of those agreements with poor reasoning uttered by incompetant morons.

Is this what he actually said or are you assuming that's what he meant to say?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CommieGIR posted:

The Swiss also had legitimate financial reason to want Single Market access without EU Membership, and had the political sway to make that happen.

There's not a shred of doubt that the UK could remain a member of the single market if it was prepared to accept the other freedoms including movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is a shred of doubt because the EU has to agree to that and they might want to put the boot in.

Also if we agree to free trade and free movement what exactly was the loving point of leaving?

• Locked thread