Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aurubin posted:

So what about waking up from his heartstabbed coma makes Superman evil? I wasn't a comic reader as a child so all I know of that period is that he had a luxurious, glossy mullet, because antiheroes have bad haircuts.

Does he say gently caress it after paying the ultimate sacrifice and decides to sell out? Does Flash trip while running and splatter Amy Adams into a wall? Personally I think the most comic book route is amnesia. The staple of serialized fiction and soap operas.

Uh, Superman never was evil.

Or an anti hero.

The whole reign of the Superman thing was basically some guy who never claimed to be Superman and was good, a clone who never claimed to be the real thing, Cyborg Superman who was a bad guy in disguise, and something really stupid and comic booky that's really stupid but wasn't Superman and never really claimed he was.

The Real Superman was just hanging out in the Fortress soaking up solar rays before poking his head out and going what the gently caress guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Burkion posted:

Or an anti hero.

The whole reign of the Superman thing was basically STEEL.

Seventh member confirmed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burkion posted:

Or an anti hero.

The whole reign of the Superman thing was basically some guy who never claimed to be Superman and was good, a clone who never claimed to be the real thing, Cyborg Superman who was a bad guy in disguise, and something really stupid and comic booky that's really stupid but wasn't Superman and never really claimed he was.

The Real Superman was just hanging out in the Fortress soaking up solar rays before poking his head out and going what the gently caress guys

Electric Blue Superman and his twin were some of the most godawful ideas in a long time. Brand New Day levels of bad.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Does Flash trip while running and splatter Amy Adams into a wall?

I assure you The Flash can do much worse with all his time-travelling and dimension-hopping shenanigans. I'm surprised the CW show even made it into a big thing for their version.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The CW show was like 40% absolutely amazing, and 60% (+ 100% in Earth 2) absolute gutter trash.

King Shark, Gorilla Grodd, Reverse Flash and more, they really put out some great little comic stories/characters (although Tom Cavanagh's portrayal of his normal character was wonderful).

I hope they really dig deep into the Flash whenever his movie comes out (even though it's not even out of the gates :laugh:).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 30, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of The Flash and also Akira.

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/847291092139515904

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/847292659043409921

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/847293879804084224

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
HAHA nooo fuckin way. That is some crazy career trajectory good for him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus Kei will be another great role for Scarlett Johansson.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

How about some speculation instead. Henry Cavill sporting a beard and long-ish hair recently. Maybe that's similar to how Clark will look in Justice League.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/847243809083740165

So my question is, did they dress as their characters civilian personas on purpose or was that just a happy coincidence?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jason Momoa kinda just looks like that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wouldn't be surprised if WB hired a promotional company to advise them on exactly what to wear for maximum audience approval. Borg Life!

well why not posted:

Jason Momoa kinda just looks like that.

For the most part, but I never really pictured him as a two vest kind of guy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well, it can get cold out, but like gently caress he's covering up dem pythons. twin vests makes sense.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aurubin posted:

So what about waking up from his heartstabbed coma makes Superman evil? I wasn't a comic reader as a child so all I know of that period is that he had a luxurious, glossy mullet, because antiheroes have bad haircuts.

Does he say gently caress it after paying the ultimate sacrifice and decides to sell out? Does Flash trip while running and splatter Amy Adams into a wall? Personally I think the most comic book route is amnesia. The staple of serialized fiction and soap operas.

I thought it was just a "goatee = evil version" joke.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Boy, people are really hopping on Snyder saying the cut he's got at the moment on Justice League is two hours, fifty minutes and running with it being the final runtime despite the movie being eight months out.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The Cameo posted:

Boy, people are really hopping on Snyder saying the cut he's got at the moment on Justice League is two hours, fifty minutes and running with it being the final runtime despite the movie being eight months out.

Can't wait for the hot takes about DC being a mess when the runtime changes.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm more excited to see what weird thing gets blown up over opening weekend and leads to people screaming "NOT MY JUSTICE LEAGUE" repeatedly for months on end.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

If revived Superman doesn't have a terrible mullet, the movie is ruined.

I have good news. Leaked concept art and set photos have shown that he does. Well, good news for you. The rest of us are going to have to stare at that monstrosity.

It really does confirm to me that Snyder's view of superheroes is stuck firmly in the mid 90s .

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

Or an anti hero.

I think he's probably thinking about various rumors that have been out that Superman will be brainwashed by Darkseid in this like in the 90s Superman cartoon.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

It really does confirm to me that Snyder's view of superheroes is stuck firmly in the mid 90s .

Well, that's a new one.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

feedmyleg posted:

I have good news. Leaked concept art and set photos have shown that he does. Well, good news for you. The rest of us are going to have to stare at that monstrosity.

Yeah, I'm really bracing myself for the dreaded image of a (possibly) breaded Henry Cavill with slightly longer hair.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Well, that's a new one.

Uh, really? 90s Frank Miller is all over BVS and MoS, both visually and thematically. The sort of Xtreme dourness and anger is straight out of comics of that era, and both his Batman and Superman characters embody how Dark Knight Returns portrayed them. This is the guy who put Doomsday of all characters in a live action film, and used The Death of Superman as a main reference point for his his Batman/Superman showdown, alongside a Kryptonite-laden armored Batsuit? The guy who started Batman as a grizzled veteran and used Jason Todd's crowbar-beating death straight out of A Death in the Family as a main plot point in the film? You've never made the connection that the guy leans heavily on that dark, angry, gritty 90s comic book era as a significant influence?

e: the mullet-rocking Supes picture from JL

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's pointless to say so but most of those things are from the mid 80's, not the 90's.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's pointless to say so but most of those things are from the mid 80's, not the 90's.

Death of Superman was 92. 88 is close enough to the 90s for Death in the Family. And Dark Knight Returns influenced the portrayal of Batman and Superman for the next decade, despite being 86. It really doesn't diminish my point at all.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

feedmyleg posted:

Uh, really? 90s Frank Miller is all over BVS and MoS, both visually and thematically. The sort of Xtreme dourness and anger is straight out of comics of that era, and both his Batman and Superman characters embody how Dark Knight Returns portrayed them. This is the guy who put Doomsday of all characters in a live action film, and used The Death of Superman as a main reference point for his his Batman/Superman showdown, alongside a Kryptonite-laden armored Batsuit? The guy who started Batman as a grizzled veteran and used Jason Todd's crowbar-beating death straight out of A Death in the Family as a main plot point in the film? You've never made the connection that the guy leans heavily on that dark, angry, gritty 90s comic book era as a significant influence?

e: the mullet-rocking Supes picture from JL

lmao that's a photoshopped pic

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
86 & 88 are definitely years in the 80s, in my opinion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Equeen posted:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

86 & 88 are definitely years in the 80s, in my opinion.

But that doesn't diminish his point. Just ask him!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Justice League Mullet Superman is real whether it's real or not

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Justice League Mullet Superman is real whether it's real or not

If it doesn't happen, I don't think I can describe how disappointed I'll be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

But that doesn't diminish his point. Just ask him!

I really don't see how comics produced just before the 90s and heavily influencing comics for the entire decade of the 90s somehow means that Snyder couldn't be stuck in the 90s? It's the decade where the angry/badass/gritty Superman thrived, and the 2000s brought him back to a more balanced and optimistic character.

Equeen posted:

Whoops! It was being reported a few months ago as real some places. I do believe there is still some concept art though, but maybe that was part of the same round of fakes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Say what you will about his music, Michael Bolton has aged well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snyder's Superman may be gritty, but he's not particularly angry or badass. The only real anger we've seen from him was when somebody was touching his mom.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I really don't see how comics produced just before the 90s and heavily influencing comics for the entire decade of the 90s somehow means that Snyder couldn't be stuck in the 90s? It's the decade where the angry/badass/gritty Superman thrived, and the 2000s brought him back to a more balanced and optimistic character.

You're using the fact that Snyder pulled images/ideas from some of the most famous and influential comics of all time to make a roundabout point about his movies being "grimdark". Although you cleverly disguised "grimdarkness" as "xtreme dourness" so good job there. But yeah you lumping these movies in with "90s comics" as if they were one step away from being Image comics is a sneaky rhetorical trick IMO, like the whole "Snyder wants to direct Ayn Rand! That's why we have an Objectivist Superman!" fiasco. Snyder's Superman is neither angry* not badass** nor gritty***

* maybe a little mopey at worst, but emo is an early 2000s thing
** see the point on the last page or so about how he fights like a farmboy turned newspaper writer
*** okay he might have gotten a little dirty when he was drowning in skulls, but that was a dream

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Superman bursts from his grave and immediately joins The Cure.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Death of Superman was 92. 88 is close enough to the 90s for Death in the Family. And Dark Knight Returns influenced the portrayal of Batman and Superman for the next decade, despite being 86. It really doesn't diminish my point at all.

So if you can fudge 88 = 90s, can I label Death Of Superman as 80s? Like, do you know what dates are?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"No I don't care if most of my things were made well in the 80s and are a part of 80s culture, I'm going to go ahead and claim it's the 90s."

I mean don't you remember that great 90s President, Reagan?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Snyder should direct the video for the pop-song tie in for Justice League, and it should feature lots of slow motion shots of Superman with his hair flowing in the wind.

Also, they should start bringing back pop-song tie ins for superhero movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Is this just before his hair turns yellow and he becomes Supersayanman?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Superman should have a supermullet, but it should use the same cgi effects as his cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Snyder should direct the video for the pop-song tie in for Justice League, and it should feature lots of slow motion shots of Superman with his hair flowing in the wind.

Also, they should start bringing back pop-song tie ins for superhero movies.

Just use "Kiss From A Rose" again. I don't care what the tone of the movie is.

• Locked thread