Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Some DS3 enemies do feel like cut content BB enemies and they wanted to save money on assets so they just moved them to DS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think the correct answer is to just continue playing bloodborne. forever.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MechaSeinfeld posted:

did DS3 bring the rat covenant back? Best part of 2 imo.
"Did they bring back <interesting thing> from DS2?"

The answer is invariably: no.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Attitude Indicator posted:

I think the correct answer is to just continue playing bloodborne. forever.
DS3 just got an absolutely ridiculous performance boost on the PS4 pro but no sign of that for Bloodborne...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Samurai Sanders posted:

DS3 just got an absolutely ridiculous performance boost on the PS4 pro but no sign of that for Bloodborne...

The digital foundry guys weren't too impressed with DS3 on the Pro. They said that while you can now get 45-50fps average the frame variance still makes the screen almost as juddery as 30fps locked. I play DS3 on PC where it crashes to black whenever I try to exit the game, master race.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They'll never ever fix the frame variance issues in either Games, Fromsoft clearly doesn't care at all about it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was running around in the swamp, a traditional place where frame rates go to poo poo in games in general, and I didn't have any problems that interfered with gameplay. I definitely did before the patch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was running around in the swamp, a traditional place where frame rates go to poo poo in games in general, and I didn't have any problems that interfered with gameplay. I definitely did before the patch.

Have you tried the new DLC yet? It runs REALLLLLY poorly on the PS4 Amateur, at least for the first two bonfires.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Have you tried the new DLC yet? It runs REALLLLLY poorly on the PS4 Amateur, at least for the first two bonfires.
So I heard, but like I said at the moment I can't be assed to finish the vanilla game so I probably won't buy the DLC.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

exquisite tea posted:

Playing DS3 after BB is going to feel like you are moving underwater while getting wombo comboed by even basic shitknights. The bonfire placement is usually more forgiving though.

Where's that screenshot where you can literally see the Archives bonfire from the Dragonrider Armor bonfire

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
My new favorite thing is that people are apparently mad about Ignis cracking alternative facts jokes in the new FF15 updates

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They'll never ever fix the frame variance issues in either Games, Fromsoft clearly doesn't care at all about it

You have to care about it, have metrics and stick to them when you're building the game. It's a poo poo-ton of work to go back and fix it after the game is done, unless you can identify something that is causing it across the board.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Elemental Arrows are what you need to really kill the big machines. That and the Tear-inflicting Arrow types to knock off components. Don't plink away at their HP, dismantle them piece-by-piece and shoot the weakpoints your Focus identifies.

Yeah. I'm just really bad at aiming a bow. It doesn't seem like there is much auto-aim in this game and I am loving terrible at aiming precision on consoles.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

exploded mummy posted:

My new favorite thing is that people are apparently mad about Ignis cracking alternative facts jokes in the new FF15 updates

Oh god yeah. Here's a good one from the FF15 thread:

MrLonghair posted:

And you don't loving jam a meme into a localization when you could just do your job, why could they not resist the temptation to keep it free fom fuckery and from dragging it the hell down in the muddy swamp awaiting a draining, those dumbasses. It's not spicing up and otherwise dull line of original, it's being a retard, like with other parts of the FFXV localization and how it changes the characters in ways that actually go overboard compared to the original Japanese, in ways that would be perfectly fine to translate straight up, ways that would deliver the character's personality. At least it's not Fire Emblem!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Obsurveyor posted:

You have to care about it, have metrics and stick to them when you're building the game. It's a poo poo-ton of work to go back and fix it after the game is done, unless you can identify something that is causing it across the board.

Considering that they are a very Japanese company and very opaque about mistakes and issues and their patch notes, I'm not even sure that the issue being identifiable would help.

In any case, it's too late at this point

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'm bad at HZD and keep getting wrecked by the big machine at the end of this first cauldron.

Bellowback?

Shock tripcaster will stun in and you can shoot the canister on its tail. Then just jump around and drill arrows into the tank on it's back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's always odd to see that some people have trouble with the bow mechanics in Horizon. The aiming system in HZD/nu-Tomb Raider is so intuitive to me, I wish more games would have something like it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Imagined posted:

I think if Titanfall 2 would've been a big hit we would've seen a lot more free DLC for it.

No way. People didn't even take advantage of the DLC they did release. The servers here will still empty except for basic attrition.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Instant Grat posted:

This is the good poo poo right here :420: Even works in the phrase "drain the swamp". Hell yes.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's always odd to see that some people have trouble with the bow mechanics in Horizon. The aiming system in HZD/nu-Tomb Raider is so intuitive to me, I wish more games would have something like it.

It can be awkward in those times when you need to make a big adjustment . Like when enemies are using melee/leaping attacks at close range and you're evading or when trying to track flying enemies. Sometimes when you aim upwards all that's visible to you is the foliage around you, effectively making enemies invisible.

The aim assist can be a pain as well when it snaps to something you weren't intending to hit.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Considering that they are a very Japanese company and very opaque about mistakes and issues and their patch notes, I'm not even sure that the issue being identifiable would help.

Oh yeah, as much datamining and exploration that goes into the Souls games, I bet players would have identified and reported anything like that way before the devs would find it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

It can be awkward in those times when you need to make a big adjustment . Like when enemies are using melee/leaping attacks at close range and you're evading or when trying to track flying enemies. Sometimes when you aim upwards all that's visible to you is the foliage around you, effectively making enemies invisible.

The aim assist can be a pain as well when it snaps to something you weren't intending to hit.

I think aim assist is disabled if you're playing above Normal. I wouldn't want to use it anyway.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Akuma posted:

"Did they bring back <interesting thing> from DS2?"

The answer is invariably: no.

I'm curious what these interesting things were. The turntable enemies? Inconsistent iframes? Enemies dying permanently for some reason? A billion humanoid bosses with grab attacks?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm curious what these interesting things were. The turntable enemies? Inconsistent iframes? Enemies dying permanently for some reason? A billion humanoid bosses with grab attacks?

Covenants with more than grinding, powerstancing, nonlinearity.

An interesting new game + as well

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Ban that guy.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I remember reading in some article long ago that DS3 originally was going to have some kind of system where you placed your own bonfires or something along those lines. Maybe explains why they seem just dropped in so readily around the rest of the areas and why you constantly can find shortcuts back through places that there is no reason run through because you already got the bonfire past it. Not sure the exact mechanics behind this but it was scrapped completely obviously and to me it seems like they just had to place them fairly quickly and obviously in a rush almost.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Bonfire ascetics. Actual fun NG+

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scorps posted:

I remember reading in some article long ago that DS3 originally was going to have some kind of system where you placed your own bonfires or something along those lines, which explains why they seem just dropped in so readily around the rest of the areas and why you constantly can find shortcuts back through places that there is no reason run through because you already got the bonfire past it. Not sure the exact mechanics behind this but it was scrapped completely obviously and to me it seems like they just had to place them fairly quickly and obviously in a rush almost.
This reminds me, when DS2 came out there was talk that the torches were going to have much more gameplay meaning than they ended up having, but I never knew what. Was that ever a real thing?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I used to care about Bonfire Ascetics but then Nioh implemented a simple NG+ difficulty scaling where you just hit a button and it bumped you up to the next tier and you could switch back and forth freely from Normal to Hard.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

This reminds me, when DS2 came out there was talk that the torches were going to have much more gameplay meaning than they ended up having, but I never knew what. Was that ever a real thing?

It was until they axed the lighting engine from their preview slices and bullshots cause the full game engine couldn't handle it on the hardware.

Or maybe not, cause at this point with Scholar the hardware could handle it, but it's nowhere to be found

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Policenaut posted:

I used to care about Bonfire Ascetics but then Nioh implemented a simple NG+ difficulty scaling where you just hit a button and it bumped you up to the next tier and you could switch back and forth freely from Normal to Hard.

I'm struggling to think of a way to implement that without a menu/level system. You could use items to brighten or dim the bonfire? That would probably work. So yeah expand bonfire ascetics. Like Nioh.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah but when you don't hit them in the head they don't really give a gently caress and just keep doing what they're doing. You can have a dude take 10 bullets before dying and not be called spongey if he reacts to it better.

This is pretty much what I mean sure headshots are kills but when I'm pumping a dude full of ak47 bullets and he just continues to run towards me without flinching

That's what I call a bullet sponge, also the stealth sucks

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DS2 is okay but DS3 is a much better game overall

Akuma posted:

It was a step backwards from Dark Souls 2 in a lot of ways and has a lot of design issues for me, like enemies feeling like they're in Bloodborne but the player is still in a Dark Souls game. The DS1 nostalgia just rubbed me the wrong way.

DS2 felt fresh, despite its warts. They got so much right with that game.

DS3 dropped almost literally every advancement from DS2 and felt like a weird mix between DS1 and Bloodborne (which also lacked a lot of nice poo poo that was added to DS2.)

Edit: when comparing it to DS2 I'm thinking primarily of Scholar of the First Sin.

:staredog:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Also having only played the first game, the shooting mechanics are so bad that you may or may not even hit the hit when you have it lined up in the crosshairs. If the fates smile upon you enough to grant you the head shot sure they drop, but good luck getting there.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It was until they axed the lighting engine from their preview slices and bullshots cause the full game engine couldn't handle it on the hardware.

Or maybe not, cause at this point with Scholar the hardware could handle it, but it's nowhere to be found

They probably left it out of the scholar version because the implementation wasn't really finished since it never worked. There is an area in the first fortress where it actually does work, and the wharf area, but those are the only areas i remember that has it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Interesting covenants like the one that pulls other players into YOUR trap-filled funhouse, or the covenant that sends you through a portal to carry out bespoke missions before facing a cool optional boss, non-hostile enemies that could be triggered by some criteria (Heide Knights, dragon shrine guardians, dark guys who don't want you to use torches), bombs + resistance boosters + damage boosters + resins + bolts + arrows for ALL elements (including magic) so whatever your gear/class you can work an enemies weakness, bonfire ascetics, NG+ differences, power stancing, handedness not mattering, the cool menu view by default where you can see your guy to the right of the menus (so they don't obscure everything), a way to use multiple items REALLY EASILY (use selected? What the gently caress?), MP arenas (okay, they added that in as paid DLC in DS3...), something like lockstones/branches that let you use a "finite" resource to prioritise where you explore, colourful hub area characters that are dynamic like the merchant that changes the more you buy from him going from stuttery poor dude to smug rich dick, surprise optional early boss encounters (The Pursuer, Freja), recurring enemies that hunt you throughout the game (The Pursuer, that guy that you can free from imprisonment that will invade you the rest of the game and gently caress you up), a boss that summons players as little helpers (and they blast out of a loving mirror shield and it rules.)

Edit: the spices that let you get the fake for spells/miracles so you can use them, even if they're weaker because you lack the real stats.

All dropped for DS3. So many cool or player-friendly/convenient things.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Scholar of the First Sin added in a thing where if you found and lit all the torches in an area you'd be invaded by NPC red phantoms that were basically from an evil covenant and they were pretty fun fights. I can't remember what reward you got for that, though.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 30, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Akuma posted:

Interesting covenants like the one that pulls other players into YOUR trap-filled funhouse, or the covenant that sends you through a portal to carry out bespoke missions before facing a cool optional boss, non-hostile enemies that could be triggered by some criteria (Heide Knights, dragon shrine guardians, dark guys who don't want you to use torches), bombs + resistance boosters + damage boosters + resins + bolts + arrows for ALL elements (including magic) so whatever your gear/class you can work an enemies weakness, bonfire ascetics, NG+ differences, power stancing, handedness not mattering, the cool menu view by default where you can see your guy to the right of the menus (so they don't obscure everything), a way to use multiple items REALLY EASILY (use selected? What the gently caress?), MP arenas (okay, they added that in as paid DLC in DS3...), something like lockstones/branches that let you use a "finite" resource to prioritise where you explore, colourful hub area characters that are dynamic like the merchant that changes the more you buy from him going from stuttery poor dude to smug rich dick, surprise optional early boss encounters (The Pursuer, Freja), recurring enemies that hunt you throughout the game (The Pursuer, that guy that you can free from imprisonment that will invade you the rest of the game and gently caress you up), a boss that summons players as little helpers (and they blast out of a loving mirror shield and it rules.)

All dropped for DS3.
Scholar of the First Sin added in a thing where if you found and lit all the torches in an area you'd be invaded by NPC red phantoms that were basically from an evil covenant and they were pretty fun fights. I can't remember what reward you got for that, though.

Edit: (Though I will admit I liked powerstancing. Even if it was the only thing I liked. But I liked DkS3's dual weapons just as much, to the point that I made a gimmick build with every dual weapon thanks to phantom trading stuff super early in the game.)

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 30, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Good rebuttal.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I bought one year of Plus from Amazon to take advantage of the free 3 months and Showtime but it's been 3 days and I still haven't received any codes. Did anyone else have awhile before they got theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Nah that poster has it pretty right.

I'm gonna focus on the Dark Souls nostalgia part since others have gotten into the other points. There are a bunch of times in Dark Souls 3 where it demands comparison to Dark Souls, while almost invariably falling short because Dark Souls was much more balanced and hadn't been made with a warped sense of what Dark Souls difficulty is. It also has a lot of callbacks to the old game that are mostly just kind of egregious, with the occasional exception like Anor Londo.

Dark Souls 2 felt much more independent of the first game and it's mostly for the better.