Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Why is it still impossible to find a switch for sale?

Because demand is greater than supply. It always is this early in a console's life. It has been out less than a month, ramping up production of a new consumer electronics product takes time.

Despite all of that, people keep popping into this thread saying they finally got one. So its not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm seeing more switches than I am nes classic, which I haven't heard of a single store near me stocking since january.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wheany posted:

Yeah, but using pirated games is a separate issue and does not make emulation itself illegal, immoral or "lovely"

Emulation of a system that has been out for less than a month is pretty lovely, primarily because people aren't doing it for any reason other than to stick it to Nintendo somehow. Like, based on what I see online, there are people who want to spend literally hundreds of hours playing Nintendo exclusives while jacking themselves off to the thought that they didn't pay for any of them out of spite. Emulation of a system in 2017 is way less about randoms learning system infrastructure for homebrew and more about trying to get in on fandom discussion about how Breath of the Wild is just okay and not reeeeally worth $60 that they totally spent. Emulation as a concept is not a bad thing, but emulation as an execution is a piracy gateway for the extreme majority of people. When someone says they have an emulator, they're not saying "I have a PC program that simulates a system." They're saying "I downloaded Wind Waker and modded it with Dolphin, so I don't have to buy the HD one."

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Takoluka posted:

Emulation of a system that has been out for less than a month is pretty lovely, primarily because people aren't doing it for any reason other than to stick it to Nintendo somehow. Like, based on what I see online, there are people who want to spend literally hundreds of hours playing Nintendo exclusives while jacking themselves off to the thought that they didn't pay for any of them out of spite. Emulation of a system in 2017 is way less about randoms learning system infrastructure for homebrew and more about trying to get in on fandom discussion about how Breath of the Wild is just okay and not reeeeally worth $60 that they totally spent. Emulation as a concept is not a bad thing, but emulation as an execution is a piracy gateway for the extreme majority of people. When someone says they have an emulator, they're not saying "I have a PC program that simulates a system." They're saying "I downloaded Wind Waker and modded it with Dolphin, so I don't have to buy the HD one."

Nah they're just shitheads who wanna play free games and give lovely post-hoc justification for not paying for the game after they've already experienced it for free

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I remember when emulation was for people to play very old games who they might not have the consoles for, or something being too expensive, now it just seems like people trying to emulate as fast as possible for what particular reason?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I remember being in elementary school when Pokemon had come out and reading about this newfangled "emulation" thing for Game Boy where people were trying to GASP play Pokemon games on their COMPUTER!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Dizz posted:

I remember when emulation was for people to play very old games who they might not have the consoles for, or something being too expensive, now it just seems like people trying to emulate as fast as possible for what particular reason?

Thievery.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takoluka posted:

I too sympathize on the side of million dollar companies lmbo

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-sales-nearly-double-in-japan-1793810053

quote:

Switch sales nearly doubled in Japan during the last sales week, when compared to the previous week’s.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ikanreed posted:

Why is it still impossible to find a switch for sale?

Dunno, walked into Target and bought one on Monday. I assume I got lucky but I saw a few again yesterday :iiam:

Both times were shortly after opening though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Takoluka posted:

Ironic you pick Wind Waker because it had enough changes and quality of life improvements that I still felt it was totally worth it for the HD version. Despite still owning it on GameCube and having it on dolphin.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Takoluka posted:

why do you care this much

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Because Luigi's slow rear end can't get them out fast enough

I'm gonna have to ask you to gtfo of your own thread for that one

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stux posted:

why do you care this much

because i think good things deserve money

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I don't see the switch shortage lasting like the nes classic, which still somehow is in shortage. Nintendo realizes that console adoption is key to long term success, whereas the plug n play can't be up sold really outside of mandatory cable extensions.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I too sympathize on the side of million dollar companies lmbo

They don't even need money because they have enough already, right?

On topic, I finally had to hard restart my switch because it seemed to have a bit of a memory leak issue where controls were only partially responding in Zelda, and I could bring up the sleep menu but not click A to put it to sleep...the input was tied to the game screen still, not the sleep menu.

Still, having this thing always ready at a moment's notice has changed the way I play games almost as much as PSVR did for me. To an old geezer, this past six months has felt like the first time I shot down airplanes on my TV with a lightgun and a lovely VHS tape.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Takoluka posted:

because i think good things deserve money

i think nintendo will probably be fine regardless of if a bunch of people who werent gonna buy their stuff/wouldve bought it used (still depriving them of revenue) emulate some things

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also we already know by this point that the best way to discourage piracy is to use lower prices and make things more affordable. nintendo prefer to go after a model where their items stay at the higher end for longer like apple, which means they probably dont worry too much about lost income from things like this. the people who are very worried about those things and want to actually stop it use a different business model. i dont think you need to take a stand for a company who only views you as a way to get money (this means all companies, not just nintendo), its very weird.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Stux posted:

also we already know by this point that the best way to discourage piracy is to use lower prices and make things more affordable. nintendo prefer to go after a model where their items stay at the higher end for longer like apple, which means they probably dont worry too much about lost income from things like this. the people who are very worried about those things and want to actually stop it use a different business model. i dont think you need to take a stand for a company who only views you as a way to get money (this means all companies, not just nintendo), its very weird.

What a convenient (for you) stance to take. "It doesn't hurt them and they don't care" Very convenient.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the switch is good

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The switch is okay and could be very good if it gets worthwhile exclusives and decent third party support

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bombadilillo posted:

What a convenient (for you) stance to take. "It doesn't hurt them and they don't care" Very convenient.

Lower prices and convenience of accessibility are a real driving factor in curbing piracy though. Steam is hugely popular in Russia of all places because of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

I remember being in elementary school when Pokemon had come out and reading about this newfangled "emulation" thing for Game Boy where people were trying to GASP play Pokemon games on their COMPUTER!

I remember reading a magazine about the mysterious Pokemon Gold and Silver games that just came out in Japan and wondering why all the screenshots had a mouse cursor on them somewhere.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dizz posted:

people trying to emulate as fast as possible for what particular reason?

Because it's really loving interesting and they like doing it.

Getting e-cred is a bonus.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's still a mystery to me how they got PlayStation games and discs to work on a dream cast with Bleem

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You should pay for things if you want to own them

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Dunno, walked into Target and bought one on Monday. I assume I got lucky but I saw a few again yesterday :iiam:

Both times were shortly after opening though.

I think someone already said this, but it may not be the case for you:

It wholly depends on region. College towns and more densely populated urban centers where a ton of young professionals with cash to burn will snatch the Switch up.

Slightly more rural areas where not everyone has the means or time to squat outside a retail store might have a few more Switches lying around.

Change my pitch up, snatch my Switch up.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Of course, getting yelled at by gamers (for not getting their favorite game work) is a massive minus, of course.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wheany posted:

If it's really interesting and something they enjoy, they should just do it themselves and never release the emulator.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Policenaut posted:

Lower prices and convenience of accessibility are a real driving factor in curbing piracy though. Steam is hugely popular in Russia of all places because of it.

And Netflix is 35% of all downstream traffic during peak hours, Amazon video is 5%, Hulu is 2% and Youtube is 17%

Bittorrent was a third of traffic 10 years ago. Now it's 3%

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Takoluka posted:

If it's really interesting and something they enjoy, they should just do it themselves and never release the emulator.

If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You're never gonna stop piracy, so there's no point in bitching about it

The industry evolved to make as much money or more in lieu of pirates, hackers still get to tinker with games, kids who don't have money get to play old games that their parents will never buy them, and everyone wins in the end

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

parallelodad posted:

Is it a delay if they haven't given it an announce date in the first place?

They said April 11th for everything but the Switch.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I think emulation is cool

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think emulation is cool

Definitely

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Just make sure to delete the ROM within 24 hours!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Games are cool and physical media/consoles are finite so emulation is eventually necessary if we want to preserve all these cool games forever (which we do, they are cool).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spellman posted:

You're never gonna stop piracy, so there's no point in bitching about it

The industry evolved to make as much money or more in lieu of pirates, hackers still get to tinker with games, kids who don't have money get to play old games that their parents will never buy them, and everyone wins in the end

are you advocating for companies to make money on products they create

lmao way to stick up for the faceless trillion dollar corporation

Mr Phillby posted:

Games are cool and physical media/consoles are finite so emulation is eventually necessary if we want to preserve all these cool games forever (which we do, they are cool).

:yeah:

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Got a slightly confused phone call from a guy from HEB making sure that, yes, I did order a game console and that I wanted it sent to a small town in Idaho.

I hope I get the right game console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Mahoning posted:

Because demand is greater than supply. It always is this early in a console's life. It has been out less than a month, ramping up production of a new consumer electronics product takes time.

Despite all of that, people keep popping into this thread saying they finally got one. So its not impossible.

Seriously, I don't get why people are still surprised/outraged that video game consoles are hard to find at launch. There always conspiracy theories that Sony or Nintendo are hatching some nefarious scheme to make us want their consoles more, but no one ever seems to entertain the idea that maybe estimating demand and securing supply for a new product might be difficult. :shrug:

• Locked thread