Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Archyduke posted:

Like, if Grant Morrison was writing this crossover, the premise might be the same, much of the shuffling the pieces into place might be the same, but I think many of us would go into it confident that by the end, love and fairness would beat hate and cruelty, that it would be corny and abrupt but also make us feel a little bit happier and braver after turning the last page, and that the silliness and the poor timing and the awkward metaphorizing would be probably, maybe, possibly worth it. I'm not at that point with Spencer-- again, I've liked his comics before but I think he lacks the conviction in the fundamental strengths of the genre to pull off something that could go so wrong and be so tacky. I don't want to see some fake Doonesbury poo poo about realpolitik and compromise. I want the Red Skull to get punched in the mush and I want love to win.

Look, I love Grant Morrison, but let's not kid ourselves. If he were writing this crossover, none of us would know what the gently caress was going on, and have to read pages and pages of footnotes and be familiar with everything that's ever happened in a Marvel Comic so that we can know that the guy who just shot that other guy in a major plot point appeared in one panel of one comic from the 60's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Grant Morrison isn't about plot he is about endlessly jerking himself and comics as a whole, off.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Grant Morrison made me into the man I am today

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mr President posted:

His shirtless pictures made you tingle in ways that were retconning your past?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Grant Morrison hates gays or minorities, unless I've been reading his stuff really, really wrongly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr President posted:

Yeah? What'd you do to piss him off?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Look! Everyone loves the Original Five X-Men, so let's bring in 1945 era Captain America! We'll make the current Captain America a nazi so that we can replace him with the 1945, not a nazi version. Won't it be awesome getting to tell "man out of time" stories again?

I'd be down with that, but no fish-out-of-water stores, and more "You've done what to the New Deal?" stories.

Like a really lefty old man yelling at everyone to get off his lawn.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I somehow missed or completely forgot that Marvel Boy was going to be in Ewing's Inhumans series. That was a delight in today's Inhumans Prime. Also of course Ewing writes an amazing Maximus, I should have known he'd nail that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PenguinKnight posted:

I'd be down with that, but no fish-out-of-water stores, and more "You've done what to the New Deal?" stories.

Like a really lefty old man yelling at everyone to get off his lawn.
I think having Cap be surprisingly left-wing for the modern day would be cool but it could easily become Oliver Queen levels of wanky. What Cap IS uniquely well suited to do is take shots at patriotism-as-civic-cult as opposed to -code-of-virtue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Get busy for a few days only to come back and discover the Nazis actually won ww2

SMP
May 5, 2009

I've been making my way through Civil War II since it seemed to hit a whole bunch of books I was reading/interested in. Good lord. Minority report with superheroes sounds like an interesting enough concept, but definitely not as an inciting act for a new civil war, and definitely not to be handled by Bendis. At least Ms. Marvel seems to have made a nice development out of it. Thankfully, other stuff I've read has barely acknowledged it outside of a few references. So much for "tie-in".

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just noticed something. This year marks Jack Kirby's 100th birthday, and Marvel's big event is based around his most famous creation being a Nazi, and that the Nazis won WW2 all along. Meanwhile, DC's putting a 12-issue mini-series that's basically just one big tribute to Jack Kirby.

I mean, to be fair, they've both poo poo all over the guy's works quite a bit over the years, but that's quite the difference. At least Secret Empire is probably not being done as some sort of a celebration.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

Yeah? What'd you do to piss him off?

I told him Mark Millar was a better writer

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
From the creator of Alimony Man, Sex In The City But It's A Lady Superhero and The Scold comes a story that dares to ask; can Hitler make a worthwhile franchise?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mr President posted:

I told him Mark Millar was a better writer

I get mad when people lie to me lazily, so that checks out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pretty excited by the way Inhumans and X-Men are going to go from here on out. Especially for Royals next week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Pretty excited by the way Inhumans and X-Men are going to go from here on out. Especially for Royals next week.

Inhumans Prime and X-Men Prime were both great. I came away from X-Men Prime actually wanting to test out all the new X-Books. Which is quite the feat as generally I don't care for the X-Men stuff. Though to be fair I've loved the stuff with the younger original X-Men the last few years.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm gonna get Royals and Black Bolt on the Inhumans side, and then at least X-Men Blue, Gold, and Generation X for the X-Men books. Astonishing X-Men too when that starts up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I'm gonna get Royals and Black Bolt on the Inhumans side, and then at least X-Men Blue, Gold, and Generation X for the X-Men books. Astonishing X-Men too when that starts up.

I'm getting all three Inhumans books, and at least Gold, Blue, Astonishing, Jean Grey and Cable. I'll be interested to check out Gen X and Iceman on Marvel Unlimited and I don't plan on dropping either All-New Wolverine or Logan. The only book I really have little to no interest in is Weapon X. And it's not even just Greg Land art because Pak balances that out for me. I'm just not really digging that lineup of characters.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BrianWilly posted:

So anyway.

Spider-Woman's probably been the best series in recent memory because not only did it have a great start, not only did it have a great middle, but it also had a fantastic finish. How many other books get to say that? Well, probably books that aren't over yet 'cuz they're still being published, haha. Ha. Hahaha. :(

(how long 'til her baby is revealed to be a Nazi)

Clearly the cancellation is all part of a master plan to drop both Jessica and Silk into Spider-Gwen full-time to make Gwen less gloomy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'll turn out that spider-woman was still a skrull the whole time

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Who ended up being the father of spider woman's child?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roger Gocking is the only Dad that kid should ever need.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr President posted:

Who ended up being the father of spider woman's child?

A donor.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I liked Inhumans Prime a lot, but X-Men Prime...

The entire thing can basically summarized by:

Kitty Pryde: I'm done with the X-Men!
Storm: No, I'm done with the X-Men, so you can't be!
Lady Deathstrike: Oh no, I'm kidnapped! TO BE CONTINUED
Kitty Pryde: No really guys, I'm done with the X-Men!
Storm: No no no no I'm done with the X-Men also sorry if you hated our last event lol
Kitty Pryde: SWEAR 2 GOD U GUYS I'M DONE WITH THE X-MEN
Original Five Kid X-Men: Guys you know how we were content to forge our own destinies and not try to go back in time in our own book's finale that came out today too? LOL PSYCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Kitty Pryde: Maybe I'm... not done with the X-Men?
Storm: You know what? Neither am I!
X-Men: LET'S MOVE OUR MANSION TO CENTRAL PARK

The zoning issues of that last bit alone are boggling me. I need a map to figure out what cultural institution is going to be annihilated by Redeemers first. Somehow that is what I'm stuck on from this whole thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Edge & Christian posted:

The zoning issues of that last bit alone are boggling me. I need a map to figure out what cultural institution is going to be annihilated by Redeemers first. Somehow that is what I'm stuck on from this whole thing.

I'll admit that the first thing I thought is that there's no way they wouldn't get served some kind of air-to-surface eviction notice by the state of New York within thirty seconds of the X-Mansion showing up within Central Park.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have this image in my head of Asgard and Atillian and the X Mansion and the Helicarrier just sort hovering over Manhattan slowly trying not to bump into each other

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gatts posted:

I have this image in my head of Asgard and Atillian and the X Mansion and the Helicarrier just sort hovering over Manhattan slowly trying not to bump into each other

every time they do signals another civil war event

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm really going to miss Star-lord when it's done.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

I liked Inhumans Prime a lot, but X-Men Prime...

There are no more historic landmarks in NYC, and especially not in Manhattan, they've all been blown up multiple times.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The art quality gap between Sook and Allen in Inhumans Prime was amazing.

Examples go here--> <--- when imgur isn't broken.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 30, 2017

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

also

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Genesis lookin' weird nowadays.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

I, of course, read that in the Fox cartoon's Cyclops voice.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I recognize the 5, x23, and genisis who are the other two? Black woman, black haired man?

Idie and the speedster who ages?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 30, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pubic works project posted:

I, of course, read that in the Fox cartoon's Cyclops voice.

That's not what he sounds like?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
When did Genesis turn into a stretched-out Adam Lambert?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Nevvy Z posted:

I recognize the 5, x23, and genisis who are the other two? Black woman, black haired man?

The woman is Idie, she has fire/ice powers and complex feelings about god. I think she's the only character from generation hope who's still around. The dude is Romeo, Iceman's inhuman boyfriend.

quote:

When did Genesis turn into a stretched-out Adam Lambert?

I dunno, I've been annoyed with his design from the start. They established way back in the day that Apocalypse didn't actually that grin on his face, and what we thought was his body was actually a robot suit being worn by a withered old guy inside it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

I dunno, I've been annoyed with his design from the start. They established way back in the day that Apocalypse didn't actually that grin on his face, and what we thought was his body was actually a robot suit being worn by a withered old guy inside it.

Holy poo poo I never realized that. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Adams posted:

They established way back in the day that Apocalypse didn't actually that grin on his face, and what we thought was his body was actually a robot suit being worn by a withered old guy inside it.

• Locked thread