Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Adalberto Mejia made the Twins rotation. Giants fans get to see what we gave up for Eduardo Nunez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

I know it's spring training so it doesn't matter but the Reds as a team have looked terrible. They're in full on tank mode this season. Someone (Cubs please???) please save Joey Votto.
Votto is on record saying he doesn't want to leave Cincinnati, even if the Reds are going to be bad for awhile and their fans think he's bad at baseball.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 30, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Any excuse to post this video again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOXLgY7qHv8

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

I know it's spring training so it doesn't matter but the Reds as a team have looked terrible. They're in full on tank mode this season. Someone (Cubs please???) please save Joey Votto.

And where would we play him?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

Hmm yes the Cubs definitely do have a space for a first baseman.

Doesn't matter where he plays, he can play short stop for all I care. I just like Joey Votto.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Votto is on record saying he doesn't want to leave Cincinnati, even if the Reds are going to be bad for awhile and their fans think he's bad at baseball.

He's also got a full no-trade clause in his contract all the way through his age 40 season in 2024. So either the Reds get good without trading him, or they don't. He's not leaving.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The amount of mental gymnastics you need to jump through to convince yourself that Joey Votto is bad at baseball are astronomical

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Paul Zuvella posted:

The amount of mental gymnastics you need to jump through to convince yourself that Joey Votto is bad at baseball are astronomical

I had someone literally block me on Twitter because he was so dead set in Joey Votto is Bad

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He had one not so great injury season and a bunch of fantastic ones. Dude's a .313 career hitter. Anybody who says he is bad is a loving goober.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I MEAN HE'S GREAT AT HITTING AND FIELDING AND GETTING ON BASE BUT DOES HE HAVE THE WILL TO WIN????

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I MEAN HE'S GREAT AT HITTING AND FIELDING AND GETTING ON BASE BUT DOES HE HAVE THE WILL TO WIN????

He's no David Eckstein I tell ya

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Only two of these things are true.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Joey Votto has a .425 career OBP. If you ever see Joey Votto complain about a pitch he thought was a ball he is in fact %100 correct and the Ump should immediately resign/or ask for forgiveness.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Paul Zuvella posted:

Three words

Are

Bee

Eye

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/845722622730129409

https://twitter.com/jluckhaupt/status/846365359557021704

https://twitter.com/wickterrell/status/846549178633404417

He's alright I guess.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bryce Harper BSOHL alert

That said I really hope that dude turns it around because he's fun as hell to watch and I want him and Trout to have a long possibly angry rivalry.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been confused with the stream of articles talking about Harpers bust of a year when he still had an .814 OPS. Obviously he can do better, but that's a good season for most outfielders.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Rays are bad and their food stands are even worse. :(

gently caress let's go to a game together

Anyone else want to go to a rays game and get belligerently drunk

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Julio Cruz posted:

Felix has noticeably dropped off over the last 2 seasons, at this point it's much more likely he's done than he's going to win the CY.

He went through an injury last season and finished CY-7 the year before :confused:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Mike Pelfrey didn't make it to the second year of his contract. I am shocked!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Ice To Meet You posted:

Mike Pelfrey didn't make it to the second year of his contract. I am shocked!

RIP Big Pelf.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

I've been confused with the stream of articles talking about Harpers bust of a year when he still had an .814 OPS. Obviously he can do better, but that's a good season for most outfielders.

Context is king, it's a bad season for Bryce Harper.

If a top ten draft pick tops out as a 24th/25th roster spot guy does that mean he wasn't a bust because most players never make it to the majors? Hell no.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Context is king, it's a bad season for Bryce Harper.

If a top ten draft pick tops out as a 24th/25th roster spot guy does that mean he wasn't a bust because most players never make it to the majors? Hell no.

Smoak was generally considered one of the top five players in the 2008 Major League Baseball draft, but his demands for a high-dollar contract caused several teams to pass on him. The Texas Rangers selected Smoak with the eleventh overall pick,[12] leading USA Today to comment that "getting Smoak at No. 11 may be the best-value pick of the first round."[13]
Smoak was often touted by scouts as one of the best defensive first basemen in the 2008 draft.[14][15] Some scouts compared Smoak to fellow switch hitters Mark Teixeira and Chipper Jones.[16] Baseball America wrote that, as a first baseman, Smoak had "Gold Glove-caliber actions and soft hands", as well as "advanced footwork and instincts at first base", though they wrote that he had merely adequate arm strength.[4] Nonetheless, several scouting reports wrote that Smoak's biggest strength was his ability to hit for both power and average on both sides of the plate.[4][14]

:sigh:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Joey Votto has almost as many walks as strikeouts, and his career took off in the new age of strikeouts

he good

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Indians released Wily Mo Pena.

The dream is dead... for now.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Popete posted:

He had the lowest wRC+ and WAR of any season of his career besides his injury-shortened 2014 where he got <400 PAs. It was more than just a sub-par year, he really did look lost at the plate for long stretches of time and the numbers confirm that feeling. He put up better results in fewer PAs as a 19 year-old rookie. That being said, a 3.5 win season isn't exactly a catastrophe. I imagine part of the volume of this conversation is coming from people who still care about batting average looking at the .243 he put up and missing that it accompanied a .373 OBP with >20 homers.

ego symphonic fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 30, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

When I see you posting in the N/V tread I hope that it's a Yadi extension. Stop toying with my heart. :sigh:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He went through an injury last season and finished CY-7 the year before :confused:

2014: 170 ERA+ 2.56 FIP 0.6 HR/9 5.39 K/BB
2015: 108 ERA+ 3.72 FIP 1.0 HR/9 3.29 K/BB
2016: 106 ERA+ 4.63 FIP 1.1 HR/9 1.88 K/BB

When taken together with his fall in velocity, I'd call that a noticeable drop-off.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Pancakes posted:

When I see you posting in the N/V tread I hope that it's a Yadi extension. Stop toying with my heart. :sigh:

Sorry buddy.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Dude should go join Manny's team in Taiwan.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Brutal.

Also whoever wrote this is not very smart because Felix hernandez and his 89 MPH fastball (and 86 MPH Change up) are deffo not winning the cy young.

He also thinks Clint Frazier is going to be Rookie of the Year? He's like only going to be a september callup who wrote this crap lmao.

Those are two really dumb and bizarre predictions but Grant Bisbee is a saint!

Also I don't know why people seem so convinced the Rays won't be in last place in the AL East again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

woah woah lets not get carried away here, he's a good dude but he's still a Giants fan

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector_666 posted:

Also I don't know why people seem so convinced the Rays won't be in last place in the AL East again.

agreed if you don't 'play to potential' for three years in a row maybe you're just bad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Walrus posted:

agreed if you don't 'play to potential' for three years in a row maybe you're just bad

They seem to always be the easy "upset" pick for predictions, but it seems like everybody says they're gonna do better than the O's and Yankees at this point and I don't see why. Any weaknesses those teams have, the Rays have and probably worse.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have listened to two different baseball podcasts where the Rays fan predicts them to win 87 games.

I am fairly certain that will not happen.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I look at the Rays and I literally have no idea how they are scoring like any runs.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
There's always that team that half the predictions have at 86-90 wins and the other half put them at 70-75 and you look at the Rays and nod sagely because they fit that profile quite well

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

They're trying to dodge bees.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Did they learn nothing from the greatest 1B of our generation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
bees are our friends, please do not hurt the bees

• Locked thread