Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Sickening posted:

What? Explain to me what containment priest is too strong for. Good answers are always on the menu.

As an abzan company player, could we please not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Glorybringer is going be amazing in standard.

Finally, Janjeet Sentry's time to shine!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

It's surely an answer to the oppressive Planar Bridge deck FFL was convinced would otherwise dominate the metagame.

To be fair, it could have been an answer to "traverse the ulvenwald, search my Emrakul".

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

So what are we fetching that this hates on

Traverse is the only card I can think of that cares about searching your library other than evolving wilds which was already mentioned.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

What? Explain to me what containment priest is too strong for. Good answers are always on the menu.

it'd be super broken with Flickerwisp and Eldrazi Displacer

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

Traverse is the only card I can think of that cares about searching your library other than evolving wilds which was already mentioned.

Yeah, the bans changed the card from "sideboard" to "almost unplayable"

little munchkin posted:

And Displacer is currently in standard too!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Finally, an answer to the oppressive Planeswalker deck walker tutors! :downs:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

YggdrasilTM posted:

Suddenly standard become a nightmare of control decks, prison decks and mind twists for 4 at turn 3

Wait, where's the nightmare? That's pretty much the dream.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Attune with Aether?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

little munchkin posted:

Is that super broken by modern standards?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Completely unplayable in the current standard but that could always change...

That's not why they printed it. It's because its safe as gently caress to print in standard but sees some play in other formats. Like it doesn't even really hose Evolving Wilds or Attune because you run too many basics.\

The other option is that it was printed to stop Traverse from getting Emrakul.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Is that super broken by modern standards?

both of those cards are already strong, so giving them another card to combo with that also incidentally hoses entire decks would prbobably be broken, yes

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Soul Glo posted:

So what are we fetching that this hates on

Right now I think the only relevant thing it interacts with is Lost Legacy, Evolving Wilds and Renegade Map.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

What? Explain to me what containment priest is too strong for.

It isn't. The three-card combo described is a three card combo. There's already three card combos that make you instantly win.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Angry Grimace posted:

It isn't. The three-card combo described is a three card combo. There's already three card combos that make you instantly win.

What's the combo? I only see it as another white sideboard card.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Completely unplayable in the current standard but that could always change...

god drat do I love spoiler season

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not a three-card combo, it's 2-card combos with one half that you're already playing, and a new second half that is a 1-card instant win in a handful of matchups

sure death's shadow or burn whatever can beat it (flicker effects are actually pretty strong against death's shadow though), but I'd like the format to consist of other decks as well

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BizarroAzrael posted:

Right now I think the only relevant thing it interacts with is Lost Legacy, Evolving Wilds and Renegade Map.

None of which requires Mindcensor to be reprinted, so either this is for Modern considerations (lol) or maybe we're getting better fetch options out of Amonkhet.

Or maybe this was their answer if they didn't want to outright ban Emmy, but it proved too warping to last until Amonket's release.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 30, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

80s James Hetfield posted:

god drat do I love spoiler season

That post is a fine vintage, classic mcmagic

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

little munchkin posted:

It's not a three-card combo, it's 2-card combos with one half that you're already playing, and a new second half that is a 1-card instant win in a handful of matchups

sure death's shadow or burn whatever can beat it (flicker effects are actually pretty strong against death's shadow though), but I'd like the format to consist of other decks as well

It isn't even vaguely as strong as you are imagining and you have a bizarre definition of "instant win" with a creature that dies to un-revolted Fatal Push, Path to Exile, Lightning Bolt, Tarfire, and essentially every other removal spell that exists.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 30, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Speaking of things that are good against Death's Shadow, you guys should try out Condemn some time. It's pretty hilarious.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Priest isn't too much in legacy but white really doesn't need another silver bullet card that a lot of decks can't beat, and this one is easily maindeck if you also play displacer. It's a card that kills some of the variety around right now. I say this as someone that LOVES playing hatebears effects in every format possible but also as someone playing abzan company.

Angry Grimace posted:

It isn't even vaguely as strong as you are imagining and you have a bizarre definition of "instant win" with a creature that dies to un-revolted Fatal Push, Path to Exile, Lightning Bolt, Tarfire, and essentially every other removal spell that exists.

How could I forget it dies to doom blade, it's terrible

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

It dies to literally all the format's marquee removal.

I think it would be a reasonable combo but nowhere near as powerful as you are implying.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Priest isn't too much in legacy but white really doesn't need another silver bullet card that a lot of decks can't beat, and this one is easily maindeck if you also play displacer. It's a card that kills some of the variety around right now. I say this as someone that LOVES playing hatebears effects in every format possible but also as someone playing abzan company.

How could I forget it dies to doom blade, it's terrible

I like how you seem to think not only is "can be removed by cards played in relatively large amounts in every deck" is an inherently irrelevant argument, but also that this is true when the underlying argument is that there are all these decks that will lose to a 2/2's passive ability.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 30, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I could be completely wrong about it but it would make eldrazi taxes and white sideboards significantly better while discouraging people from playing company/chord decks, goryos decks, dredge, breach, etc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I could be completely wrong about it but it would make eldrazi taxes and white sideboards significantly better while discouraging people from playing company/chord decks, goryos decks, dredge, breach, etc.
If you are playing a deck that cannot afford to play any copies of any removal, you have to understand that getting hosed by a sideboard card is exactly what your deck is built to have happen to it. The idea that Wizards should not print cards that hose decks that play no possible way to remove opposing threats to protect those decks is legitimately silly.

Like, if Birthing Pod was legal, I might think there was some merit to the argument, but it isn't. That theory is why Standard has lovely artifact hate and lovely graveyard hate.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 30, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

If you are playing a deck that cannot afford to play any copies of any removal, you have to understand that getting hosed by a sideboard card is exactly what your deck is built to have happen to it. The idea that Wizards should not print cards that hose decks that play no possible way to remove opposing threats to protect those decks is legitimately silly.

Like, if Birthing Pod was legal, I might think there was some merit to the argument, but it isn't. That theory is why Standard has lovely artifact hate and lovely graveyard hate.

Name one other maindeckable card in modern that shuts off that many strategies though? The decks playing a bunch of paths and pushes aren't the decks priest would be good against. Comparing it to the standard problem is irrelevant because "answer" cards aren't a problem in modern. I'm saying adding yet another one of those silver bullets is super unnecessary.

I almost want it to get printed so I can get a foil for my Gaddock Teeg edh deck and play the 3 copies I have sitting around in unused legacy decks. That or stoneforge would be enough to get me to play taxes variants in modern all the time instead of only at local weeklies.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
Since I was getting caught up on the thread and story chat was a few pages ago, I do want to say while 99% of the stories are hot garbage every once in awhile a good one happens!

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/stories-and-endings-2016-05-11

(Broken clock, etc)

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
For a casual (modern) red snow deck, is there a solid replacement for divining top to power Scrying Sheets? Crystal Ball was the best replacement I could find.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Name one other maindeckable card in modern that shuts off that many strategies though? The decks playing a bunch of paths and pushes aren't the decks priest would be good against. Comparing it to the standard problem is irrelevant because "answer" cards aren't a problem in modern. I'm saying adding yet another one of those silver bullets is super unnecessary.

Scavenging Ooze?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I almost want it to get printed so I can get a foil for my Gaddock Teeg edh deck and play the 3 copies I have sitting around in unused legacy decks. That or stoneforge would be enough to get me to play taxes variants in modern all the time instead of only at local weeklies.
Nobody is going to maindeck Containment Priest on the 5% chance their opponent is playing Living End (hell, it doesn't even work against Living End) or something because Containment Priest is a Grizzly Bears with flash if its ability doesn't do anything, which it doesn't in 95% of matchups.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 30, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Serenade posted:

For a casual (modern) red snow deck, is there a solid replacement for divining top to power Scrying Sheets? Crystal Ball was the best replacement I could find.

No, but you shouldn't be doing any work to enable scrying sheets anyways. The whole point of the card is the extremely low setup cost of putting a colorless land in your mono-colored deck.

Play one of the Chandras or Outpost Siege if you want more card advantage.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Nobody is going to maindeck Containment Priest on the 5% chance their opponent is playing Living End or something because Containment Priest is a Grizzly Bears with flash if its ability doesn't do anything, which it doesn't in 95% of matchups.

Just eyeballing mtggoldfish, priest hits about 13% of the modern decks by herself. That combined with displacer/flickerwisp synergy makes her well more than enough to maindeck at least 2 copies. Not quite as much as I thought, but if you're willingly ignoring decks for the sake of posting then there's not much discussion to be had.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Just eyeballing mtggoldfish, priest hits about 13% of the modern decks by herself. That combined with displacer/flickerwisp synergy makes her well more than enough to maindeck at least 2 copies. Not quite as much as I thought, but if you're willingly ignoring decks for the sake of posting then there's not much discussion to be had.

Oh holy poo poo 13% of the format that's 1 in every 8 matches

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

little munchkin posted:

No, but you shouldn't be doing any work to enable scrying sheets anyways. The whole point of the card is the extremely low setup cost of putting a colorless land in your mono-colored deck.

Play one of the Chandras or Outpost Siege if you want more card advantage.

Oh, huh. I could have sworn mono white control only got away with Scrying Sheets because of top. But if it's not needed then good, more deck space.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh holy poo poo 13% of the format that's 1 in every 8 matches

I admitted it wasn't as much as I assume and I also said I could be completely wrong about it. Thanks for reminding me why I don't engage in discussion here very often though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I don't think already good decks getting an extremely good means of making GBS threads on 1/8th of the format is good for it.

Hence why I anticipate Containment Priest is in Amkomiket and WoTC will claim Temur Dynavolt is an upcoming Modern deck when they rationalize not banning it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I admitted it wasn't as much as I assume and I also said I could be completely wrong about it. Thanks for reminding me why I don't engage in discussion here very often though.

You ignored the actual salient point I made about a card that occupies a similar niche to Priest in what it does while being good as a card by itself and being a 2 of in a couple of solidly performing decks but not format oppressing.

The combos you're espousing are fine but there are comparable combos that just win on the spot in Modern instead of a slow exile engine.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't think already good decks getting an extremely good means of making GBS threads on 1/8th of the format is good for it.

Hence why I anticipate Containment Priest is in Amkomiket and WoTC will claim Temur Dynavolt is an upcoming Modern deck when they rationalize not banning it.

I really do hope it gets a standard printing, because it'd be an answer to issues but not a "welp gg" answer. The fact that it's modern playable is just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Serenade posted:

Oh, huh. I could have sworn mono white control only got away with Scrying Sheets because of top. But if it's not needed then good, more deck space.

When they were briefly in standard together that was a good deck, but the version of MWC that stuck around after Kamigawa rotated for TSP was solid and didn't need Top.

God, that was another really awesome deck I miss. Proc+Martyr and Sacred Mesa and Gauntlet of Power...

• Locked thread