Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

anime was right posted:

quote this if you think user jack trades should stop posting itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

stop stealing tabs gimmick

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

anime was right posted:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

anime was right posted:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Jmcrofts posted:

bring this back

no don't,

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've been giving this game an honest try and I feel like if everyone was just in v-trigger by default and v-gauge was used for the dead angles it would feel less clunky, since VT mode feels like its the "fun" mode you only get to play once a round. It's not the elegant sports car you'd find in other fighting games, it handles more like a U-Haul.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

Woden
May 6, 2006

anime was right posted:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
After playing the game for a few hours, I can understand what Capcom was trying to do with Street Fighter V. They were trying to make a game where the meat of the game is in special meter modes, in this case V-Trigger and Critical Arts. There is nothing wrong with this in theory, as it has the biggest and best damaged attacks relatively simple to execute but not occur too often as there is a risk/reward factor to think about. The problem is that instead of beefing up the normal attacks and features of the character for the V-Trigger/CA attacks, they instead just dumbed down the normal attacks to an absurd degree to make the V-Trigger/CA attacks seem more powerful. There is no reason why a lot of V-Trigger moves shouldn't be part of many characters common movesets. While a lot of CA attacks should easily be done by a simple combo for many characters. As a result, having two players duke it out by just using normals is basically a poking game to a mind numbing degree. Street Fighter V came out way too early. It needed much more time in the oven, not just content wise but gameplay wise as well. Unfortunately, unlike many fighting games which started off poor or mediocre upon their first release and later became great, the problems with Street Fighter V don't seem like they can be fixed with revisions, as the problem lies with the internal structure of its gameplay. It seemed that Capcom put so much effort in trying to figure out how to make Street Fighter V profitable, that they didn't put much work into fully crafting the actual game. King of Fighters XIV is essentially what Street Fighter V was aiming to be, but couldn't.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 30, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I played pc beta a bit.

So for vega(all claw stance poo poo):
- regular Walldive punch you can now followup with ex walldive->followup of choice.
- cr.hp st.lp mp backclaw or cr.hp st.lp exwalldive a true combo now(always works, cr.hp forces standing).
- st.hp, switch, st.mp(into whatever), now combos on regular hit.
- you can really bully with cr.hp now its +3 on block, it doesn't push you back that far compared to the other +3 ob moves.

Vega still bad but claw stance has real pressure now.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Reiley posted:

I've been giving this game an honest try and I feel like if everyone was just in v-trigger by default and v-gauge was used for the dead angles it would feel less clunky, since VT mode feels like its the "fun" mode you only get to play once a round. It's not the elegant sports car you'd find in other fighting games, it handles more like a U-Haul.

Then you have characters like fang, who doesn't even get anything from v-trigger lol

It's ok though because Capcom finally isolated and dealt with the biggest problem with the game: Horizontally-Angled Kick-Based Attacks

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
They might never live down Horizontally-Angled Kick-Based Attacks, but at least Zangief has something unique and quirky if not stupid. If they had that willingness to add stuff without the stupid part to the whole cast the game would be better off IMO.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Reiley posted:

In V-trigger all the time, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=037Ad8Ti3q4

Evil Canadian posted:

I played pc beta a bit.

So for vega(all claw stance poo poo):
- regular Walldive punch you can now followup with ex walldive->followup of choice.
- cr.hp st.lp mp backclaw or cr.hp st.lp exwalldive a true combo now(always works, cr.hp forces standing).
- st.hp, switch, st.mp(into whatever), now combos on regular hit.
- you can really bully with cr.hp now its +3 on block, it doesn't push you back that far compared to the other +3 ob moves.

Vega still bad but claw stance has real pressure now.

Ex wall dive after Flying barcelona sounds like... a huge amount of damage.

St. HP>Switch.>st. MP boosts the damage on a lot of Vega's punish and crush counter combos by a non-trivial amount.

Cr. HP being +3 on block means Vega gets a true block string with stand lk, and it doing little pushback means that we Vega players are probably going to be able to get away with doing multiple cr. hps in a pressure string. Vega's ability to generate grey health is going to explode, maybe.

Is Vega going to be good? Probably not, but his ability to do damage when he's not stuck trying to survive oki will improve. He'll still be pretty drat free to rushdown characters.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 30, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vega gets to top 8 a fair amount already doesnt he?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Vega gets to top 8 a fair amount already doesnt he?

Top 8 of what? The best Vega in the world, Nemo, dropped him for Urien, and the good US Vegas have more or less vanished in season 2.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Flash Metroid got 2nd at Combo Breaker last year with Vega, and that's the last time I can remember the character doing well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Flash Metroid got 2nd at Combo Breaker last year with Vega, and that's the last time I can remember the character doing well.

And that was May of last year, people were still figuring out their oki, Guile boom loops weren't considered practical yet, and the Season 2 garbage wasn't even a fever dream at that point. As SFV has matured, Vega has steadily dropped as a character.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Why use Vega when you can use another character for less effort and more damage. They should of also left him as a charge character his normals need to be better.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

apple posted:

They might never live down Horizontally-Angled Kick-Based Attacks, but at least Zangief has something unique and quirky if not stupid. If they had that willingness to add stuff without the stupid part to the whole cast the game would be better off IMO.

Remember in SFxT where the whole idea of gems was fundamentally stupid but it could've been kind of cool if it at least let you do crazy poo poo like some MvC3 Heroes and Heralds poo poo?

And then instead of doing that it just made you do 10% more chip damage or whatever.

Yeah.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

apple posted:

I wholeheartedly agree with this

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Ryu fierce DP is invincible only vs. male character kick attacks. New hit animation where he punches them in the crotch and they do a special fall over stun animation.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

Ryu fierce DP is invincible only vs. male character kick attacks. New hit animation where he punches them in the crotch and they do a special fall over stun animation.

Do this for Makoto instead

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Trykt posted:

I'm reminded that males and females reacted to the Metsu Shoryuken of SF4 differently. Men got cartoony eyes and had their jaws extend a bit, women kept their beauty.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bloodly posted:

I'm reminded that males and females reacted to the Metsu Shoryuken of SF4 differently. Men got cartoony eyes and had their jaws extend a bit, women kept their beauty.

Vega and Guy got to keep their beauty :3:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just in time for new DLC character Poison

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Bloodly posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGyA9ohGQ78

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Just in time for new DLC character Poison

First SFV character to have gameplay differences between Japanese and Western releases.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

drat I-No is hella into it.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Ky seemed really "guess this is my life now" about it, I figured he would be more upset

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
proof that street fighter is anime

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Street fighter has some top tier waifus. It's as anime as the rest of them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
4 had both Jolyne and Lisa Lisa <3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saw some reports of testing and people saying lobby hosts still get one sided rollback against opponents that are very far away (like eu to na)

Load times are only shorter on the white screen, the overlong match up screen is the same length so its barely noticeable.

Bleh

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Almost every lounge match I've had has had different states of rollback. It's awful, there's no point in playing if you can't even see dashes. You should never have rollback in UK to Germany unless the other guy has a poo poo-tier connection.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

What's some birdie wake up options? Is there anything invincible? I looked at frame data but i think it's outdated.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Keegers posted:

What's some birdie wake up options? Is there anything invincible? I looked at frame data but i think it's outdated.

Ex piledriver is throw immune, that's kinda it. Although come the new patch ex bullhorn has armour on frame 1 again(like it did in s1) so that will be a valid wakeup. Even stronger since with the season 2 changes negative edge moves benefit from the input buffer so it won't be oddly difficult to wakeup bullhorn like it used to be.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Would you guys say this high ranked Ryu is a bot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmD2bzBsGD4
His hit confirms are loving ridiculous.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
No?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I've played that guy before, it's 100% some dude playing while being heavily assisted by scripts or straight up a bot. He constantly did stupid poo poo like jumping on the same frame I throw a fireball. From the first round in that video he's already showing near-impossible reactions and hit confirms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Otakufag posted:

Would you guys say this high ranked Ryu is a bot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmD2bzBsGD4
His hit confirms are loving ridiculous.

I feel like he plays like a human, though maybe one using scripts.

E: although watching again he does a lot of things that people don't normally do, like standing perfectly still while the opponent is knocked down but still getting a perfectly timed meaty