Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lurdiak posted:

I've been rewatching Chris Farley movies here and there and I'm not convinced he was ever actually funny.

purple death ray posted:

Chris Farley was great as part of an ensemble, like on SNL or his smaller parts in movies. I liked Tommy Boy but I'm not sure he was ever "carry an entire movie" funny.

Pretty much this exactly.

I mean, Farley having a shirtless dance off with Patrick Swayze is amazing. Matt "Van By the River" Foley is maybe one of the funniest bits of sketch comedy I've ever seen. His go to move was Big Fat Shouty Guy, but he played that role like a loving harp.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/chippendales/n41045?snl=1

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/motivational-speaker/n10432?snl=1

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/japanese-game-show/n10632?snl=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
^^^^^The Weekend Update where he's ranting so hard he starts flying, and gets his pants caught on the back wall of the set, is one of the funniest SNL moments in history.

purple death ray posted:

And Steve Martin along with Eddie Murphy make me so sad to think about the movies they did vs the movies they are doing now

I firmly believe Steve Martin is deliberately doing poo poo films so he can take Hollywood's filthy money and turn it into fine art paintings or musicals like "Bright Star" and novels like Shopgirl. It's a weird performance art thing.

Eddie Murphy, I have no excuse for.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Having kids turned Eddie Murphy into a pussy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Quoting Austin Powers? That sort of thing ain't my bag, baby!

Oh behave.

Edit: as far as the two Wayne Worlds go, they were both pretty funny but the same Myer's laziness that was all over Austin Powers was already evident in the second Wayne's World. This means the recycling of the same jokes over and over. In fact if it wasn't for the charm of Wayne and Garth a lot of the jokes in the second one would have just felt like warmed over left overs.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I firmly believe Steve Martin is deliberately doing poo poo films so he can take Hollywood's filthy money and turn it into fine art paintings or musicals like "Bright Star" and novels like Shopgirl. It's a weird performance art thing.

I read a really good interview one time where someone asked him why he'd do Pink Panther 2 after the first was so bad, and he said "It bought me a new Matisse".
I respect it, it'd be hard to pass up several million dollars for a few weeks of easy work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

Oh behave.

Edit: as far as the two Wayne Worlds go, they were both pretty funny but the same Myer's laziness that was all over Austin Powers was already evident in the second Wayne's World. This means the recycling of the same jokes over and over. In fact if it wasn't for the charm of Wayne and Garth a lot of the jokes in the second one would have just felt like warmed over left overs.

Wayne's World 2 gets major points for actually continuing Wayne's character arc from the first film instead of resetting the character like almost every single comedy sequel does.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorite Chris Farley bit is apparently only 24 seconds long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkSRUf02gu8

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wayne's World 2 is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvqEM93rck

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lobok posted:

*hand rises up out of the water holding Excalibur*

Hey uh, "Lady"? I'm in here with you. And you should put on some clothes maybe. I can see everything.

It'd be the Lady of the Shore, tossing Excalibur into the water.

King Arthur Curry and the aqua knights of the water table would be pretty cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

My favorite Chris Farley bit is apparently only 24 seconds long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkSRUf02gu8

That is always amazing.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Madkal posted:

Oh behave.

The best joke in the second one is when they're talking to the guy with the glass eye for their contract : "Thanks. We'll take this home and go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Cross the Ts and dot the" *looks at guy with glass eye* "...lower-case Js."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

10 Beers posted:

The best joke in the second one is when they're talking to the guy with the glass eye for their contract : "Thanks. We'll take this home and go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Cross the Ts and dot the" *looks at guy with glass eye* "...lower-case Js."

The best part of that is all the guys coworkers that have been working behind the counter all stop what they're doing and stare at Wayne until he finishes the sentence

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

10 Beers posted:

Not to mention the

*whole office stops and looks over with a "oh man don't say it...!" look*

Edit: Eh, beaten. So then instead I'll say isn't it weird that Kevin Pollack is in two movies with Dana Carvey of all people? He's the glass eye guy in Wayne's World 2 and then is the lawyer friend of Carvey's PI character in Clean Slate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

Not to mention the

*whole office stops and looks over with a "oh man don't say it...!" look*

Edit: Eh, beaten. So then instead I'll say isn't it weird that Kevin Pollack is in two movies with Dana Carvey of all people? He's the glass eye guy in Wayne's World 2 and then is the lawyer friend of Carvey's PI character in Clean Slate.

What's weird is that you watched Clean Slate.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

If you think that's bad

I OWN IT

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

I saw it in the theater.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So did Christopher Nolan.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Was it always part of Penguin's origin that his family was rich and then the Waynes got murdered and then things went south quick for him?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He was always from a rich family, but it's a later introduction that all of Batman's villains have to have their origins in the Waynes or Batman himself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That odd Batman series from 2010 or so (the one where Joker never wears shoes and the Riddler is a goth) introduced this angle where the Pennyworths had once been retained by the Cobblepots before they went to enter the service of the Waynes; was this from the comics or was it just in that series?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

That odd Batman series from 2010 or so (the one where Joker never wears shoes and the Riddler is a goth) introduced this angle where the Pennyworths had once been retained by the Cobblepots before they went to enter the service of the Waynes; was this from the comics or was it just in that series?

AFAIK, that was only for the show.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Just saw Logan. Question about the Reavers in the comics.

Was it just Bonebreaker who was like a torso on a tank? Or where there more guys like that? I thought there were more. Discussion with the wife over whether or not it they often had a guy sticking out of the roof of their trucks in the movie as a reference to that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Nah, Bonebreaker was the only one who had his legs replaced with tank treads (I think he might have been a common and repeated enemy in a video game, maybe?). Skullcrusher had more conventional cybernetic augmentation and Pretty Boy was basically a robot with a skin-mask head; the other Reavers were Cole, Macon, and Reese (the ex-Hellfire Club dudes who got fairly bog-standard-looking cyborg parts) and Lady Deathstrike, nary a tread to be found.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Perry Normal posted:

Just saw Logan. Question about the Reavers in the comics.

Was it just Bonebreaker who was like a torso on a tank? Or where there more guys like that? I thought there were more. Discussion with the wife over whether or not it they often had a guy sticking out of the roof of their trucks in the movie as a reference to that.

That's just a reference to how PMCs roll around looking like this in real life, dude.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't imagine it wasn't a reference.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Batman! I came around to liking that show more in the back half.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Mercs stick out of the roofs of cars in lots of movies. You're stretching on that reference.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

It's 100 % not

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Supposedly there's a more explicit reference in the ending sequence.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SonicRulez posted:

You have a poor imagination.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is there a list of all the Marvel and DC collections? Are collections a comprehensive way of collecting together all the stories of a particular character?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

1. Is there a list of all the Marvel and DC collections? 2. Are collections a comprehensive way of collecting together all the stories of a particular character?

1. Probably not.*

2. Sometimes.**

*I mean, you're talking hundreds, if not thousands of various in-and-out-of-print collections and re-collections spanning decades of all sizes and scope. You might as well ask for a spreadsheet of all rock CDs.

**Most of the time they collect by story arc, I would guess, but there is no rule.

It would be better to ask what or who you're looking to read about, and get recommendations about pertaining collections from there.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2017

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

Probably.*

Sometimes.

*I mean, you're talking hundreds, if not thousands of various in-and-out-of-print collections spanning decades of all sizes and scope. You might as well ask for a spreadsheet of all rock CDs.

I don't know too much about this stuff so thanks for the extra info. If I was looking to collect a reasonable history of both the Justice League and Avengers and just in the main continuity would that be a bit more feasible?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

I don't know too much about this stuff so thanks for the extra info. If I was looking to collect a reasonable history of both the Justice League and Avengers and just in the main continuity would that be a bit more feasible?

I updated my answer above, probably as you were typing, btw.

And yes, that's a much more feasible question!

I would suggest you hit up the Recommendation thread stickied at the top of the forum and post your question there, as you'll get better responses.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

I updated my answer above, probably as you were typing, btw.

And yes, that's a much more feasible question!

I would suggest you hit up the Recommendation thread stickied at the top of the forum and post your question there, as you'll get better responses.

Thanks for your help mate, really informative.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you want every last issue I don't think there's an option other than downloading Torrents of scanned versions, which is both a no-no and illegal depending on where you are. Otherwise, all the trade collections combined (for Justice League or Avengers) will get you most of the memorable/important/"big" stories but not every issue. Marvels "Essentials" line collects every issue but those are B&W and are decades behind. DC has their "Showcase" line which is the same thing but I think those tend to be more out of print than the Marvel Essentials.

Marvel Unlimited is another option but that generally has gaps for the longer-running series' and obviously those are digital and you will only own the issues if you buy them one at a time. Otherwise it's just a subscription to view them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

If you want every last issue I don't think there's an option other than downloading Torrents of scanned versions, which is both a no-no and illegal depending on where you are. Otherwise, all the trade collections combined (for Justice League or Avengers) will get you most of the memorable/important/"big" stories but not every issue. Marvels "Essentials" line collects every issue but those are B&W and are decades behind. DC has their "Showcase" line which is the same thing but I think those tend to be more out of print than the Marvel Essentials.

Marvel Unlimited is another option but that generally has gaps for the longer-running series' and obviously those are digital and you will only own the issues if you buy them one at a time. Otherwise it's just a subscription to view them.

Yeah I guess the only way to get all issues would be illegal and I'm not looking for that. I don't mind not having all issues, I don't mind missing Avengers #200 for instance I was just looking for a collection that would give a good overview of a particular title.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That gets easier the newer the comics you want to get are. Old ones are reprinted in like "greatest adventures of the Justice League" or "Golden Age classics" type collections that are not even trying to collect the issues in order or even to collect most of the comics.
There are a few huge omnibus style collections that do that better but those are really pricey and they are usually only a single title or character, so crossover and guest appearances are kinda hosed.

But you can get on Amazon and buy the new Rebirth Justice League volume 1, and know that it's the first five issues (or however many they do idk) and that volume 2 will have the next five issues, etc.

Even then crossovers and events will gently caress you up. Welcome to comic books!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Yeah I guess the only way to get all issues would be illegal and I'm not looking for that. I don't mind not having all issues, I don't mind missing Avengers #200 for instance I was just looking for a collection that would give a good overview of a particular title.

The Bendis era stuff listed in the OP probably gives a decent overview of the more modern Avengers, for older stuff I'd just find a "best classic Avengers stories" list, or if you can find them cheap (not sure if they're in print atm) just grab the first few collections of "Essential Avengers"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Several years ago Marvel released CD Roms of runs of titles. I think Amazing Spider-Man's CD Rom went from Amazing Fantasy #15 and then ASM #1-500. If I recall, these scans also included the original ads which is probably why these CD ROM collections went out of production shortly after their release. https://www.amazon.com/Topics-Entertainment-cs-513s-Amazing-Spider-Man/dp/B0006Q7FEM

I think similar CDs were released for FF and Avengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

purple death ray posted:

That gets easier the newer the comics you want to get are.

That's what I've found from looking round so I'm not expecting to get collections coming from the start but going from the 80s would be great.

purple death ray posted:

Even then crossovers and events will gently caress you up. Welcome to comic books!

I can imagine characters who appear in three different titles at once won't help either.