Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
a good model (from zombicide: black plague)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Come on now, scorpy is pretty neat.

Keg golem.

I'm not a fan of Malifaux, but their sculpts are alright, if you're into steampunky stuff. Infinity has some great sculpts, but all of the cheesecake does get tiresome (and I don't mind a bit of cheesecake.)

Keg almost looks good. You're in the ballpark anyway.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

panascope posted:

"Surely you can do better" - Count Dooku, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

"Gnaaaaaaargh!" - Itchy Bacca, Star Wars Holiday Special

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

panascope posted:

"Surely you can do better" - Count Dooku, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

The purple lightsaber irks me because I always thought your lightsaber color meant something. Blue was courageous and active, green was wise and patient, and red was just pure dag-nasty evil. Then George Lucas asked Samuel L. Jackson was lightsaber color he wanted for Mace Windu and told him for Jedi it was either blue or green. He literally just asked for purple on the fly and now because of this, it completely throws any meaning to a Jedi’s lightsaber color out the window!

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Can someone post the Pygmys currently for sale on GWs site.

got u fam

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

a good model (from zombicide: black plague)

Finally, an Actually Good model

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

spectralent posted:

I don't think this is a "we're here to accomodate the poors" argument, and the mere existence of poorhammer and classism-based plastic soldiers discourse is loving baffling. This is just a "I have some dudes and I like these dudes, why does the dumb game not want my business" argument. You get a lot more people invested if they can actually play your game than if they're locked out by a £2-300 minimum spend.

I agree - a high buy-in has turned me off from a lot of games, but it is what it is. This is a luxury hobby, and if you can't afford to play, then sorry for you. Nobody has a "right" to plastic toys, any more than they have a "right" to a PS4, a jetski, or a Lamborghini. Things cost money, it's a fact of life.

Would free rules be great? Absolutely. Would it get more people interested in the game? Maybe. Does GW (or any other company) owe me rules for their game? Nope.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The purple lightsaber irks me because I always thought your lightsaber color meant something. Blue was courageous and active, green was wise and patient, and red was just pure dag-nasty evil. Then George Lucas asked Samuel L. Jackson was lightsaber color he wanted for Mace Windu and told him for Jedi it was either blue or green. He literally just asked for purple on the fly and now because of this, it completely throws any meaning to a Jedi’s lightsaber color out the window!

This is what happens when you let loving casuals proxy armies. If you can't afford the real deal, you can't afford to play. If you don't like the official models, you have bad taste and I don't want to be your friend.

If you can get away with a purple lightsaber, it's probably going to be a bad film trilogy.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

Only thing he had to do was find one that's ripping off a GW model. Big shocker

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
How do zombicide minis paint up? Are they one of those horrible plastics that blobs paint?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I agree - a high buy-in has turned me off from a lot of games, but it is what it is. This is a luxury hobby, and if you can't afford to play, then sorry for you. Nobody has a "right" to plastic toys, any more than they have a "right" to a PS4, a jetski, or a Lamborghini. Things cost money, it's a fact of life.

Would free rules be great? Absolutely. Would it get more people interested in the game? Maybe. Does GW (or any other company) owe me rules for their game? Nope.

This is getting weirdly prosperity gospel for a discussion about toy soldier etiquette but: You realise what the company does has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you're cool with people proxying, right? That's just not being a dick.

Or is this irony, now? I really can't tell anymore.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hixson posted:

Only thing he had to do was find one that's ripping off a GW model. Big shocker

Which one is it ripping off?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

They don't owe you anything. They'd just get more players if they hadn't started out expensive then over the decades progressed to eye-poppingly extortionate. Its also kinda dickish if like me you remember when they were saying shifting to plastic would make models cheaper and plastic kits have doubled or tripled in price since.

Either way I'm gonna complain about it and nobody can stop me unless you find my address and hit me with an axe.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

panascope posted:

patrick masson is an amazing sculptor and one of the reasons i like dark age (but boy howdy are some of the old sculpts bad)

i really like the kukulkani figures he did:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WG5eX (glorious man-rear end here, just for broken record talk!!)
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EbWk2
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nWPn9

spectralent posted:

How do zombicide minis paint up? Are they one of those horrible plastics that blobs paint?

most plastics (even HIPS) are pretty hydrophobic but they should take primer fine and then you'll be ok. if they're anything like blood rage (and i assume they are) you'll have to bend some poles back into shape but i suppose that's the price you pay for getting a big pile of minis pretty cheap :shrug:

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 30, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Broken Record Talk posted:

This is what happens when you let loving casuals proxy armies. If you can't afford the real deal, you can't afford to play. If you don't like the official models, you have bad taste and I don't want to be your friend.

If you can get away with a purple lightsaber, it's probably going to be a bad film trilogy.

I am glad this forum had a block function! I can't believe such an ignorant person exists in this sub forum. Actually I can.

*block*

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

spectralent posted:

This is getting weirdly prosperity gospel for a discussion about toy soldier etiquette but: You realise what the company does has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you're cool with people proxying, right? That's just not being a dick.

Or is this irony, now? I really can't tell anymore.

I'm pretty sure iv been responding to bots clumsily pasting together posts from warhammer fansites but it passes the time and my girlfriend is at work.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

nopantsjack posted:

They don't owe you anything. They'd just get more players if they hadn't started out expensive then over the decades progressed to eye-poppingly extortionate. Its also kinda dickish if like me you remember when they were saying shifting to plastic would make models cheaper and plastic kits have doubled or tripled in price since.

Either way I'm gonna complain about it and nobody can stop me unless you find my address and hit me with an axe.

But to be clear, again, this doesn't have anything to do with getting to a table and going "These are not Citadel Miniatures (tm) Space Marines (tm)! You just class-signalled your way out of this hobby, bucko!" and leaving, which is insane.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Which one is it ripping off?

It mimics the renegade militia aesthetics imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

I'm pretty sure iv been responding to bots clumsily pasting together posts from warhammer fansites but it passes the time and my girlfriend is at work.

I didn't get into horse ebooks when it was big and I feel like I missed out.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

All of my poo poo is personally hand crafted while I am supposed to be working.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

I'm not disagreeing. I remember when Land Raiders were two to a box, and Rhinos were three to a box. My first set of metal Terminators was $25, and included a captain, a librarian, and two heavy weapons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought you were arguing against print? You've got me confused now.
Rules being free adds an awful lot to the game in that resources can be freely developed. A rules wiki, for example. Easy to update FAQs into digital copies, a lower barrier to entry to grow the hobby, and heck, goodwill gained from all the player base.

I agree that rulebooks should exist, and they should contain the nice art, good format, all the fluff you could want and a full and comprehensive list of rules.
But why should you pay to play? You have shelled out hundreds of pounds on models... Why then should you pay for the privilege of using them?
Why should you pay to have access to a specific formation, despite the fact you have already paid for the models? It's pay to win, it's elitist, and fewer and fewer companies are doing it nowadays.

Heck, how are you even meant to know what you want to buy without reading the rules first? Buy a £30 book, and hope that you find what you're looking for? That's ridiculous.

Digital and books aren't superior to one or the other. They are different. You can comfortably buy a tablet for less than the cost of a GW codex. I guarantee the tablet will be valid for longer, battery life taken into account. :P
That said, I like having books too. Own the book for every faction I play (except inferno in HH. Bit skint at the moment) I just don't like being forced into buying them.

Take another gaming system for example- infinity by corvus belli. Free rules, as in completely. Got the first two armies for the game (one for me and one for my wife), got to grips with the rules, and once I was sure it was the game for me, I went out and I bought the book.
I still have the digital download on my phone and tablet, because sometimes it's nice to have a backup. The fact it was free didn't stop me buying it. But it did mean I was a lot less hesitant to buying into a new game system.

GW should take note of that at least. If nothing else, then for its core rules.

I remember the time when the Core Rules were ONLY available in the starter boxed set.

I know what you are saying about the Codexes, supplements, campaigns, etc. However, if those books were all around the AoD/TL price range, they would be more accessible, especially if the rules sheets were completely separate from the rest of the book. Meaning you could store the sheets, or trade/give the ones you didn't need to a friend or somebody else.

Sure, GW may be lacking in locations. However, that is something they should be looking at. Either by opening more stores or supporting locations that already sell their products. Provide them with a set to have intro games on/with. Sure, that's down to the store, but wouldn't they want to do it to make more sales and build a community to perhaps purchase other things they sell?

Every player must acquire a rulebook. Whether that's included in the starter boxed set, which is usually great value, even if you only want half of it. The other half can either be used to practice against or sold/turned into scenery. There is always the option of eBay or second-hand markets. Sure, you are still buying them. But nobody said you had to fork out for the hardback collection did they?

Internet-based rules - many people find physical copies easiest to work with. With that in mind, why not have decent copies of things that will last, rather than scrappy pieces of paper that get damaged far more easily? Quality, one of the hallmarks of GW products is what we are after here.

If GW, and other companies, by extension, treated their customers fairly and ethically, we wouldn't see majour releases followed by edition changes that invalidate both the previous rules, and entire factions people will have spent hundreds, if not thousands on.

I do agree that the background is one of the most irreplaceable parts of this hobby. Which is why the AoS release was so awful. It totally destroyed the WHFB setting. We have been assured that won't happen with 40K, as I am cautiously optimistic that will be adhered to. Rules, though, I am still very suspicious.

Sure, GW should be easily accessible. That should mean employing more people, reducing the time stores are shut, and having stores in more locations.

GW's biggest mistake was becoming a public company. By doing that, they announced to the world they were more interested in profits, which drove most edition changes than they were the people who kept them afloat. Dissatisfied players left in droves, and allowed other companies to gain more market share.

The analogy was supposed to represent the difference between 40K as we know it, and the AoS-style changes people keep asking for. Sorry. Does that make it a bit clearer?

By all means, give the BASIC rules out. As long as GW make it clear that a more comprehensive version is available through whatever means they make available. They will need to make it clear that armies function differently with the full rules system, including the support of army books.

If I'm honest, I've tried AoS. The downloadable rules lacked the depth I enjoy, before I downloaded, I played in store.

Nothing has turned me on to AoS, and I doubt anything will.

With rules in boxes, and stores available, surely we are past the stage where 40K can be summed up in 4 pages?

Personally, I dislike the spoon-feed system many games are going towards. It feels lazy, and credits players with no intelligence.

One thing we should all remember though, GW will do whatever they want, and we'll be left to try and pick up whatever we like.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hixson posted:

It mimics the renegade militia aesthetics imo

I'm more upper left blue myself

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Avenging Dentist posted:

patrick masson is an amazing sculptor and one of the reasons i like dark age (but boy howdy are some of the old sculpts bad)

i really like the kukulkani figures he did:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WG5eX (glorious man-rear end here, just for broken record talk!!)
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EbWk2
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nWPn9

most plastics (even HIPS) are pretty hydrophobic but they should take primer fine and then you'll be ok. if they're anything like blood rage (and i assume they are) you'll have to bend some poles back into shape but i suppose that's the price you pay for getting a big pile of minis pretty cheap :shrug:

Now here are some models I can get excited about!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

nopantsjack posted:

Sadly most of the shitposting is coming from inside the thread.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

Rules being free adds an awful lot to the game in that resources can be freely developed. A rules wiki, for example. Easy to update FAQs into digital copies, a lower barrier to entry to grow the hobby, and heck, goodwill gained from all the player base.

yeah, imagine my shock when i learned that cmon will take any old edition of the dark age rulebook and exchange it for a current one if you meet them at a convention

this in addition to how 100% of their rules are free online

little things like that make you as a player feel like the developers actually want to keep you involved in the community

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

Sadly most of the shitposting is coming from inside the thread.

Avenging Dentist is getting better at least.

(I JOKE)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TKIY posted:

All of my poo poo is personally hand crafted while I am supposed to be working.

same tbqh

i have to wait to post it because the postie only comes mondays tho

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Remember 20 to 30 years ago when they used to have those Pepsi challenges? I would do it every time and could always tell the difference between the Pepsi and Coke. The Pepsi was always identifiable as it was too sweet. I worked up quite the fascination with Coke around the time they came up with Coke Classic. I hated that New Coke, as it tasted like Pepsi, too sweet. Fearing I was drinking too much of he Coke Classic, I switched to Diet Coke as I couldn't stand it. Now, I have an even unhealthier addiction to Diet Coke. I drink one or two a night and feel like a drug addict once I finally get it going through my system. I even drink it in my mixed drinks. Rum and Diet Coke with a Lime is my preferred drink. I can tell every time I order it and get Diet Pepsi mixed in instead. It's too sweet. Today I tried a Diet Pepsi product for the first time in my life that isn't too sweet. **The Find** While grocery shopping today I found a display with small sample size (12 oz.) bottles of Diet Pepsi Max. Right on the bottle it calls itself an "invigorating cola." Okay, that intrigued me. It was only 50 cents for this sample bottle, so I thought, alright I'll try it. The "invigorating" thing got to me. It reminded me of my fascination with Diet Coke and had me questioning if this was the target audience. **The Taste** I opened up the Diet Pepsi Max and tried it on my way home from the store. Lo and behold, it wasn't bad! There was just a tiny, tiny little resemblance to that familiar Pepsi sweetness. And there was quite the "invigorating" bite to it. It really did remind me of the boldness of a Diet Coke. **Conclusion** While I still remain faithful to my Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi Max is the first close second I have found. If it was on sale, I just might consider buying it instead of Diet Coke.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TKIY posted:

Avenging Dentist is getting better at least.

(I JOKE)

mods???

(here have some lazerhawk)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYvqDqoYXMY

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

spectralent posted:

But to be clear, again, this doesn't have anything to do with getting to a table and going "These are not Citadel Miniatures (tm) Space Marines (tm)! You just class-signalled your way out of this hobby, bucko!" and leaving, which is insane.

Yet again, it's not that they aren't Citadel Miniatures (tm) Space Marines (tm), it's that you're using pieces that are not easily identifiable in a game that requires pieces to be easily identifiable. Your argument is that I'm flipping the table because you brought bottlecaps to a checkers match. I'm arguing that you brought bottlecaps to a chess match and you're saying it doesn't matter.

It's all dumb anyway - go to a Malifaux, Warmachine, or Infinity game with non-standard models and you'll get the same reaction. These are games with rules for individual models, and you sometimes have to be able to differentiate them. This is the argument, not that you're not using sanctioned plastic from Nottingham.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not disagreeing. I remember when Land Raiders were two to a box, and Rhinos were three to a box. My first set of metal Terminators was $25, and included a captain, a librarian, and two heavy weapons.

I couldnt beleive how expensive £25 for 5 terminators was at the time. Then the £50 blood dragons and I thought this is insane.

At one point I was going to make an Empire army and they only sold state troops in sets of 10 for like £14 and I needed 50 per unit.

Also i thnk every time i go into GW they raise the price of the paint pots by 25p. So I stopped going just to save you guys the cash, I'm a martyr.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yet again, it's not that they aren't Citadel Miniatures (tm) Space Marines (tm), it's that you're using pieces that are not easily identifiable in a game that requires pieces to be easily identifiable. Your argument is that I'm flipping the table because you brought bottlecaps to a checkers match. I'm arguing that you brought bottlecaps to a chess match and you're saying it doesn't matter.

It's all dumb anyway - go to a Malifaux, Warmachine, or Infinity game with non-standard models and you'll get the same reaction. These are games with rules for individual models, and you sometimes have to be able to differentiate them. This is the argument, not that you're not using sanctioned plastic from Nottingham.

Again that's literally not what happens from my experience. I've played Infinity and nobody gives a poo poo if you proxy. I don't play Malifaux but I'm around that community, and I know they don't give a poo poo, and I assume the same is true of Warmachine.

And yeah, bringing bottlecaps to chess wouldn't matter. Just write what they are on them or something, chess sets have had abstract pieces for decades. There's almost certainly an actual chess set that's more confusing than labelled pogs.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think chess is a bad example here, its a game you can absolutely play without peices. Youd just need to mark a letter on each of the bottlecaps, people do stuff like that with chess regularly if you dont have a board.

Same as you could just put a post-it on the Tiger tank you're counting as a basilisk or whatever or write down what each unit counts as, it really wouldnt be very difficult at all to play a proxy match of 40k, whether you'd want to is up to you but it does seem silly to not play a game you like with someone cause they dont have the exact right toys.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's time to close this one up. I'm sure someone else can fire up a death thread if they want.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Remember 20 to 30 years ago when they used to have those Pepsi challenges? I would do it every time and could always tell the difference between the Pepsi and Coke. The Pepsi was always identifiable as it was too sweet. I worked up quite the fascination with Coke around the time they came up with Coke Classic. I hated that New Coke, as it tasted like Pepsi, too sweet. Fearing I was drinking too much of he Coke Classic, I switched to Diet Coke as I couldn't stand it. Now, I have an even unhealthier addiction to Diet Coke. I drink one or two a night and feel like a drug addict once I finally get it going through my system. I even drink it in my mixed drinks. Rum and Diet Coke with a Lime is my preferred drink. I can tell every time I order it and get Diet Pepsi mixed in instead. It's too sweet. Today I tried a Diet Pepsi product for the first time in my life that isn't too sweet. **The Find** While grocery shopping today I found a display with small sample size (12 oz.) bottles of Diet Pepsi Max. Right on the bottle it calls itself an "invigorating cola." Okay, that intrigued me. It was only 50 cents for this sample bottle, so I thought, alright I'll try it. The "invigorating" thing got to me. It reminded me of my fascination with Diet Coke and had me questioning if this was the target audience. **The Taste** I opened up the Diet Pepsi Max and tried it on my way home from the store. Lo and behold, it wasn't bad! There was just a tiny, tiny little resemblance to that familiar Pepsi sweetness. And there was quite the "invigorating" bite to it. It really did remind me of the boldness of a Diet Coke. **Conclusion** While I still remain faithful to my Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi Max is the first close second I have found. If it was on sale, I just might consider buying it instead of Diet Coke.

gently caress you coke is overpriced trash, you should try Manticola, its half price and tastes better but the bottle looks like complete poo poo.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've played chess over IRC by doing lovely ascii on a .txt file and sending that back and forth when I was bored at school once, so I'm pretty sure I could play chess with differently-coloured bottlecaps.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

spectralent posted:

they paint up just fine as long as you give em a good scrub with soap and water first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEtuC0UBP3o

TKIY posted:

Maybe it's time to close this one up. I'm sure someone else can fire up a death thread if they want.

lmbo

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

GW's biggest mistake was becoming a public company. By doing that, they announced to the world they were more interested in profits, which drove most edition changes than they were the people who kept them afloat. Dissatisfied players left in droves, and allowed other companies to gain more market share.
Profits drive business. Remaining a private company would probably have kept them small and wouldn't allow for the growth they were able to acheive. Their biggest mistake was putting a shitheel like Kirby in charge, someone who believed his own hype and refused to acknowledge the barbarians at the gates. Hell, if he hadn't stepped down and been replaced with someone with half a brain, I think GW would be in some dire straits right now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

TKIY posted:

Why?

The worst seems to be over now we're just palling around. Either way in a week this thread will be a ghost town as normal and then pick up during the age of emperor stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

spectralent posted:

Again that's literally not what happens from my experience. I've played Infinity and nobody gives a poo poo if you proxy. I don't play Malifaux but I'm around that community, and I know they don't give a poo poo, and I assume the same is true of Warmachine.

And yeah, bringing bottlecaps to chess wouldn't matter. Just write what they are on them or something, chess sets have had abstract pieces for decades. There's almost certainly an actual chess set that's more confusing than labelled pogs.

nice meltadown

• Locked thread