Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

parallelodad posted:

I know it apparently crosses over with some other Stephen King properties, so is this being done by the same studio doing It?

Stephen King decided that all his books take place in the same metaverse so after he got about 3 books into the Dark Tower he started shoehorning connections with his other books into it, and vice versa. But what makes it dumb is that none of those connections are plot-affected or necessary (or good, a lot of them make both works lesser). It's not the same studio.

If they make it to book 5 it's gonna be interesting to see them deal with the Harry Potter and Marvel comics connections. By which I mean they should just drop them on the floor and never film them because they are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Stephen King decided that all his books take place in the same metaverse so after he got about 3 books into the Dark Tower he started shoehorning connections with his other books into it, and vice versa. But what makes it dumb is that none of those connections are plot-affected or necessary (or good, a lot of them make both works lesser). It's not the same studio.

If they make it to book 5 it's gonna be interesting to see them deal with the Harry Potter and Marvel comics connections. By which I mean they should just drop them on the floor and never film them because they are dumb.

Book spoilers: These movie(s) all take place in the cycle that follows the events of the book series. Roland already has the Horn of Eld, so I don't think we should expect things to play out the same way.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The MSJ posted:

Stephen King himself makes an appearance in the book.

And this is the exact moment I said "gently caress it"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Stephen King cameos in most of his stuff so no biggie for me, unless he pulls a sword out of a hat and kills Nagini or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

Stephen King cameos in most of his stuff so no biggie for me, unless he pulls a sword out of a hat and kills Nagini or something.

Yeah, but he doesn't play himself in any of those movies. Unless "This machine just called me an rear end in a top hat!" guy is supposed to be him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I remember a few crossovers, like Roland encountering some creatures from The Mist or a portal leading to the Dark Tower world in From A Buick 8. I heard The Man In Black is also supposed to Randall Flagg,

And McConaughey was supposed to be Flagg in the latest Stand movie attempt, too. (They actually go into the world of The Stand in the fourth DT book, too.) I think Pennywise made an appearance, or at least was mentioned, in one of the DT books. He was definitely briefly in Dreamcatcher when they drive through Derry.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but he doesn't play himself in any of those movies. Unless "This machine just called me an rear end in a top hat!" guy is supposed to be him.
The pizza guy from Rose Red.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

quote:

When flying reptilian creatures wreak havoc all over the world, the survivors’ only hope of stopping them is a new, state-of-the-art fighter jet piloted by the only team that knows how to use the technology.

Coming soon from Asylum. They also got a Dunkirk movie in the works and a King Arthur movie where people have guns and katanas

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't Dark Tower have the guy who hit Stephen King with a car as a villain at some point?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
From last page, but you do know that Takashi Miike has a live action JoJo's Bizarre Adventure movie coming out?

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/6/14837070/jojos-bizarre-adventure-live-action-movie-trailer-takashi-miike

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Fair warning, I think the general consensus is that the series goes downhill pretty fast. Whether its descent starts after the third or fourth book is debatable.

I thought the book was poo poo after reading the first one. The movies being different can't be bad in my eyes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rirse posted:

Didn't Dark Tower have the guy who hit Stephen King with a car as a villain at some point?

About half of King's output since the accident have been about troubled writers getting run over by assholes in vans.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rirse posted:

Yes. The main characters spend a lot of time trying to prevent and failing that accident.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chairman Capone posted:

And McConaughey was supposed to be Flagg in the latest Stand movie attempt, too. (They actually go into the world of The Stand in the fourth DT book, too.) I think Pennywise made an appearance, or at least was mentioned, in one of the DT books. He was definitely briefly in Dreamcatcher when they drive through Derry.

I think the thing you're speaking about was supposed to be an It-like creature, but not actually that one.

Also the Dark Tower books are crazy and dumb, but not always in the fun way.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

GrandpaPants posted:

Except Inception and Chronicle both exist? Those are probably the best case scenarios for western anime adaptations, aka not adaptations at all but "inspired by"s.

Oh man, it's a shame Andrei Tarkovsky passed away. He is the only one who could pull off a live action adaptation of Patlabor. (The Oshii film, not the show.)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GrandpaPants posted:

Except Inception and Chronicle both exist? Those are probably the best case scenarios for western anime adaptations, aka not adaptations at all but "inspired by"s.

And The Matrix.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tars Tarkas posted:

Coming soon from Asylum. They also got a Dunkirk movie in the works and a King Arthur movie where people have guns and katanas

I legit thought this was a Alien EU novel for a second.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
IIRC, King is pretty mean to himself in the DT books. Roland really doesn't like him and has to slap him into dlfinishing the books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

IIRC, King is pretty mean to himself in the DT books. Roland really doesn't like him and has to slap him into dlfinishing the books.

I like that in the first book, the illustrations of young Roland make him look like Stephen King, but old Roland is Clint Eastwood. Wonder if the real King is disappointed he didn't exactly age that well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

unedited gunslinger is possibly king's best book. shame it went into that metaverse direction.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Chairman Capone posted:

I like that in the first book, the illustrations of young Roland make him look like Stephen King, but old Roland is Clint Eastwood. Wonder if the real King is disappointed he didn't exactly age that well.

Stephen King has always been extraordinarily funny-looking.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pope Corky the IX posted:

About half of King's output since the accident have been about troubled writers getting run over by assholes in vans.

Misery was written eleven years earlier, so it's not like it's a new thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

unedited gunslinger is possibly king's best book. shame it went into that metaverse direction.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duma Key is the closest to borrowing plot from the accident and it came out after DT was finished so no direct reference.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ghost in the Shell did not suck. It was actually pretty drat cool and looked gorgeous.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Enos Cabell posted:

Book spoilers: These movie(s) all take place in the cycle that follows the events of the book series. Roland already has the Horn of Eld, so I don't think we should expect things to play out the same way.

I might be in the minority, but I feel this is kind of lovely. Nothing I've read in the books has suggested the horn is special beyond having belonged to Arthur, nor that it would've made a difference. Though I guess they'll just make up that it does.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

davidspackage posted:

I might be in the minority, but I feel this is kind of lovely. Nothing I've read in the books has suggested the horn is special beyond having belonged to Arthur, nor that it would've made a difference. Though I guess they'll just make up that it does.

I think the point is having the Horn means that this cycle is different in many ways that might not have anything to do with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ghost in the Shell did not suck. It was actually pretty drat cool and looked gorgeous.

Um sorry no it's a bad movie that isn't Ghost in the Shell beyond using the names didn't you get the memo?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Len posted:

Um sorry no it's a bad movie that isn't Ghost in the Shell beyond using the names didn't you get the memo?

From everything I am hearing yeah.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And this is the exact moment I said "gently caress it"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/magazine/22amises.t.html

quote:

[Kingsley Amis] read the first chapter of ‘Money’ ” — the novel many critics consider Martin’s best — “but then the minute a character named Martin Amis came in, he threw it across the room. He wasn’t having any of that. No buggering around with the reader.”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

davidspackage posted:

When Roland gets to the tower in the last book it specially mentions that what he is supposed to do is blow the horn but he had lost it years ago.

It's one of those things that kind of came out of nowhere in the last books and wasn't really mentioned before.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Len posted:

No, I didn't Was this sent through interdepartmental messaging?

The manga was different from the anime which was different from the TV series which is different from the movie. The characters and base concepts were the same and they actually had an in movie reason for the whitewashing The main villain is a horrible unfeeling dickhead, who didn't give a single gently caress about the origins of the organic components for the prototypes, just that they were from people who nobody important would give a poo poo about if they died mysteriously and randomly or simply disappeared.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

muscles like this! posted:

When Roland gets to the tower in the last book it specially mentions that what he is supposed to do is blow the horn but he had lost it years ago.

It's one of those things that kind of came out of nowhere in the last books and wasn't really mentioned before.

I mean...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_of_Roland

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No, I didn't Was this sent through interdepartmental messaging?

The manga was different from the anime which was different from the TV series which is different from the movie. The characters and base concepts were the same and they actually had an in movie reason for the whitewashing The main villain is a horrible unfeeling dickhead, who didn't give a single gently caress about the origins of the organic components for the prototypes, just that they were from people who nobody important would give a poo poo about if they died mysteriously and randomly or simply disappeared.

I get that people were really up in arms about the whitewashing because I guess adaptation of Japanese property that takes place in Japan should have Japanese (or at least Asian) actors, but I thought there was already an in-universe reason for it, which was that nobody actually has their original body and it's kind of like a world full of people from the Twilight Zone episode Number 12 Looks Like You. I only watched the original anime movie once like 20 years ago and a few episodes of Stand Alone Complex when it came on Cartoon Network way back when though, so I'm hardly an expert.

That said, a lot of the reviews I've read said it was a gorgeous movie, but the plot is paper thin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stallone has announced that he's dropping out of the next Expendables movie. Apparently even he realizes that they suck.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stallone has announced that he's dropping out of the next Expendables movie. Apparently even he realizes that they suck.

Why are they still even making those? Did the last one make a lot of money?
The first one was a nice novelty, but who's still out there that is clamoring to see more of them?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

He should do an earnest Cobra sequel. I think the market is ready for it.

Just him, Gary Busey (or Jake if Gary is retired), Judge Reinhold maybe? Some kinda LA crime gang is tattooing drugs into hot babes and the only way to stop them is to get Cobra back in the game

It takes place in 1991, no gimmicks, no winking at the camera.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

raditts posted:

Why are they still even making those? Did the last one make a lot of money?
The first one was a nice novelty, but who's still out there that is clamoring to see more of them?

I'd say they got slightly better, in that the first one is totally awful, JCVD is fine in the second one, and Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas and Mel Gibson are good in the third one.

They're all still bad though.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Im amazed their isn't a contract stipulation that they have to die in a movie to drop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Powaqoatse posted:

He should do an earnest Cobra sequel. I think the market is ready for it.

Just him, Gary Busey (or Jake if Gary is retired), Judge Reinhold maybe? Some kinda LA crime gang is tattooing drugs into hot babes and the only way to stop them is to get Cobra back in the game

It takes place in 1991, no gimmicks, no winking at the camera.

Might as well just jump on that Netflix money train and do a Cobra series.

• Locked thread