Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you could get your hands on a copy of this:

It contains high quality PDF scans of every single issue of Avengers from 1963 to 2006, including the annuals and giant-sized issues. Now, it doesn't collect West Coast Avengers and there's a lot of clusterfuck going on in the 90s with all the crossovers that kept jumping from book to book, and there were definitely some standalone mini-series published over the years that aren't in the DVD-R either, but it would get you a lot of the way to caught up. Unfortunately this thing's out of print and not so easy to find anymore, but if you can get a copy for a fair price, it's well worth it.

There's a similar DVD for Captain America and I believe Spider-man, as well.

E:

notthegoatseguy posted:

Several years ago Marvel released CD Roms of runs of titles. I think Amazing Spider-Man's CD Rom went from Amazing Fantasy #15 and then ASM #1-500. If I recall, these scans also included the original ads which is probably why these CD ROM collections went out of production shortly after their release. https://www.amazon.com/Topics-Entertainment-cs-513s-Amazing-Spider-Man/dp/B0006Q7FEM

I think similar CDs were released for FF and Avengers

Aw man, I knew I should've read the whole thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Several years ago Marvel released CD Roms of runs of titles. I think Amazing Spider-Man's CD Rom went from Amazing Fantasy #15 and then ASM #1-500. If I recall, these scans also included the original ads which is probably why these CD ROM collections went out of production shortly after their release. https://www.amazon.com/Topics-Entertainment-cs-513s-Amazing-Spider-Man/dp/B0006Q7FEM

I think similar CDs were released for FF and Avengers

I had the Spider-Man one, it was pretty cool, except a good chunk of the 90's was completely unreadable because it only had Amazing and the annuals and there were constant crossovers with other Spider-Man titles. Kraven's Last Hunt, Maximum Carnage and the clone saga (which lasted like 5 years) were all only available in in pieces.

bessantj posted:

That's what I've found from looking round so I'm not expecting to get collections coming from the start but going from the 80s would be great.

I know you were looking more for Avengers, but if you were at all interested in X-Men, Claremont's run goes years before there's any crossovers. The only thing you'd need is Giant Size X-Men which introduces the new members and then you can start at Uncanny X-Men #94 and there are no serious crossovers until Uncanny #210 and you'll get an overview of the really important events in X-Men history.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sorry for the double post, but I would seriously recommend getting Marvel Unlimited, there are way fewer gaps then there used to be and I'm pretty sure they have every single issue of the big ones like Avengers, Spider-Man, Captain America, Uncanny X-Men and Fantastic Four.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Counterpoint: rather than hunting down obscure CDs from 10+ years ago, just get Marvel Unlimited.

e: beaten

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I know you were looking more for Avengers, but if you were at all interested in X-Men, Claremont's run goes years before there's any crossovers. The only thing you'd need is Giant Size X-Men which introduces the new members and then you can start at Uncanny X-Men #94 and there are no serious crossovers until Uncanny #210 and you'll get an overview of the really important events in X-Men history.

Oh I'm definitely interested in collecting the X-Men as well as a few others of marvel and DC, I just though of starting with the Avengers as I like teams and yes Marvel Unlimited is a good idea, pity there is nothing like that for DC as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I had the Spider-Man one, it was pretty cool, except a good chunk of the 90's was completely unreadable because it only had Amazing and the annuals and there were constant crossovers with other Spider-Man titles. Kraven's Last Hunt, Maximum Carnage and the clone saga (which lasted like 5 years) were all only available in in pieces.
So almost nothing lost

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man in the 90s was pretty annoying and could have benefited from a Superman Triangle system or the Brand New Day structure. Some months, when the stars were aligned, there were six Spider-Man ongoing issues and they each had their own stories... except for when they were all the same story, and then they'd go back to being their own stories...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

So almost nothing lost

Kraven's Last Hunt is really good and there were good stories inside the Clone Saga.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Oh I'm definitely interested in collecting the X-Men as well as a few others of marvel and DC, I just though of starting with the Avengers as I like teams and yes Marvel Unlimited is a good idea, pity there is nothing like that for DC as well.

If you do get Unlimited I can't recommend the initial Stan Lee/Jack Kirby run on Fantastic Four, especially if you're interested in teams and general Marvel History, first appearance of Skrulls, Kree, Inhumans, Black Panther, not to mention Galactus, Silver Surfer, Doctor Doom hijinks and post Golden Age Namor. And the team dynamics are probably some of my favorite stuff ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SMP posted:

Counterpoint: rather than hunting down obscure CDs from 10+ years ago, just get Marvel Unlimited.

e: beaten

Triple post, but what I really liked about those cds were that since they were scans they had all the old ads and letters pages, newer stuff on Marvel has the letters page but it's missing from most of the old stuff

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Kraven's Last Hunt is really good and there were good stories inside the Clone Saga.

I SAID "ALMOST"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bessantj posted:

Yeah I guess the only way to get all issues would be illegal and I'm not looking for that. I don't mind not having all issues, I don't mind missing Avengers #200 for instance I was just looking for a collection that would give a good overview of a particular title.

That's good, because Avengers 200 is horribly offensive!

http://www.geekinsider.com/on-the-rape-of-ms-marvel/

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

If you do get Unlimited I can't recommend the initial Stan Lee/Jack Kirby run on Fantastic Four, especially if you're interested in teams and general Marvel History, first appearance of Skrulls, Kree, Inhumans, Black Panther, not to mention Galactus, Silver Surfer, Doctor Doom hijinks and post Golden Age Namor. And the team dynamics are probably some of my favorite stuff ever.

I'm reading this poo poo via the omnibuses they're putting out and it is great. Lee/Kirby really just look for ways to make Ben's life horrible. "Hey THING! Stop acting like such a MONSTER all the time!" well maybe if you guys stopped calling him a thing and a monster that might help.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm reading this poo poo via the omnibuses they're putting out and it is great. Lee/Kirby really just look for ways to make Ben's life horrible. "Hey THING! Stop acting like such a MONSTER all the time!" well maybe if you guys stopped calling him a thing and a monster that might help.

The number of times Ben and Johnny outright try to kill each other is great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The very first issue has the panel where they all pledge to use their powers to help humanity and Ben's saying, "I ain't Ben any more; I'm what Susie called me - the Thing!" then Reed sticks his hand in and goes, "And I'll call myself... Mr Fantastic! :smug:" Reed is such an unbelievable dick for so much of that run.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I joined Marvel Unlimited and had q quick look at the first New Mutants series the art change from the early issues to the issues in the 90s where everyone gains 30 lbs of muscle is hilarious.

Also is Fall of the Hulks any good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The very first issue has the panel where they all pledge to use their powers to help humanity and Ben's saying, "I ain't Ben any more; I'm what Susie called me - the Thing!" then Reed sticks his hand in and goes, "And I'll call myself... Mr Fantastic! :smug:" Reed is such an unbelievable dick for so much of that run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSMg_GWiBt0

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Skwirl posted:

This deserves emphasis. Claremont's run defined pretty much everything we know as "X-Men" to this day.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I would seriously recommend getting Marvel Unlimited, there are way fewer gaps then there used to be and I'm pretty sure they have every single issue of the big ones like Avengers, Spider-Man, Captain America, Uncanny X-Men and Fantastic Four.

If you do go with Marvel Unlimited check for promo codes. They regularly do ones for free months and they can be found through Google.
I think Marches one is Rand or somehow connected to Iron Fist being on Netflix.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Lol I've been paying for Unlimited a whole year I didn't know anything about promo codes

Earlier on this page someone brought up the Superman Trianglur system, what is that?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Earlier on this page someone brought up the Superman Trianglur system, what is that?

In the 90s up to the early 2000s each of the different Superman books were all part of an ongoing yearly plot that was really closely tied together so in addition to the issue number they put an extra number on the cover that told you what part of that plot the comic in question was. This is a good article about that

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 31, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Comics Alliance is shutting down. Long live Comics Alliance.

Any comics reporting/blog site out there I can replace it with? I liked their semi-in-depth analysis articles (like the current Strip Panel Naked feature) and their diverse writing staff (getting outside of my straight cis white guy bubble).

I skim through the Bleeding Cool headlines, but they're too pop culture focused and too much, well, Bleeding Cool. I also skim through The Comics Journal updates, but they focus on the indie niche that I'm not really into. Wanna split the two. I don't really care about reviews of Big Two event books, which is why I don't read the likes of CBR.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I saw that Black Swan was on the cover of a recent Thor book. What was she up to in the book? I'm surprised to see her stick around after Secret Wars wrapped up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

She's serving as a lackey for Thanos who sent her and Proxima Midnight to steal (or attempt to) the Ultimate Mjolnir from Asgard.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Uthor posted:

Comics Alliance is shutting down. Long live Comics Alliance.

Any comics reporting/blog site out there I can replace it with? I liked their semi-in-depth analysis articles (like the current Strip Panel Naked feature) and their diverse writing staff (getting outside of my straight cis white guy bubble).

I skim through the Bleeding Cool headlines, but they're too pop culture focused and too much, well, Bleeding Cool. I also skim through The Comics Journal updates, but they focus on the indie niche that I'm not really into. Wanna split the two. I don't really care about reviews of Big Two event books, which is why I don't read the likes of CBR.

I guess I'm the april fool, don't scare me like that.

Is their an in universe explanation for the Watcher's extreme head/body porportion changes throught the years?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I guess I'm the april fool, don't scare me like that.

I want it to be, but I'm not holding out hope. All the writers are being sad on Twitter and no one has said "lol, got you!" as of yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

I want it to be, but I'm not holding out hope. All the writers are being sad on Twitter and no one has said "lol, got you!" as of yet.

And a few put up fundraisers to pay their rent. If the site isn't going away that's fraud.

Edit: Andy Khouri and Heidi McDonald are discussing the demise of the site on Facebook.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Have to wonder what kind of lovely salaries they were getting if they need help making their rent so soon after the site shuts down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was their main source of revenue? Advertising?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't imagine blogging for any comics site brings in a ton of cash

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

What was their main source of revenue? Advertising?

Some company owned them (it used to be AOL, lol!) and I'm assuming was pumping in cash. Otherwise, yeah, ad revenue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Have to wonder what kind of lovely salaries they were getting if they need help making their rent so soon after the site shuts down.

I mean, we could ask Gavok? But he has a day job.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I mean, we could ask Gavok? But he has a day job.

That'd be a little rude.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I imagine it pays less than entry level working for a dieing weekly print newspaper, and my friend who did that quit to become the manager of a YMCA.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've been working on replacing some of my single issue collection with TPBs and it's resulted in a lot of confusion for me. Here's one example: is Venom: Space Knight #6 not collected anywhere? All the listings I can find for the two Space Knight TPBs state that vol. 1 collects issues 1-5 and vol. 2 collects issues 7-12, which seems really weird to me. It's not like #6 is part of some big event or anything.

Could it be a soliciting error? Is this sort of thing common? It seems like a huge and weird oversight to me. :confused:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

JordanKai posted:

I've been working on replacing some of my single issue collection with TPBs and it's resulted in a lot of confusion for me. Here's one example: is Venom: Space Knight #6 not collected anywhere? All the listings I can find for the two Space Knight TPBs state that vol. 1 collects issues 1-5 and vol. 2 collects issues 7-12, which seems really weird to me. It's not like #6 is part of some big event or anything.

Could it be a soliciting error? Is this sort of thing common? It seems like a huge and weird oversight to me. :confused:

Comicbookdb.com says Vol. 1 is 1-6, Vol. 2 is 7-13.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Comicbookdb.com says Vol. 1 is 1-6, Vol. 2 is 7-13.

Ah, I didn't think/know to check there. Many thanks! :)

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Who is this Black Knight character with the Avengers in the 80s and why isn't he high profile in the modern comics

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Who is this Black Knight character with the Avengers in the 80s and why isn't he high profile in the modern comics

Black Knight is the successor to a 60s villain of the same name who restored the legacy of the lineage of dark knights going back to the court of king arthur, heroic knights who wield a dark cursed sword and protect the world from the shadows, and the reason he isn't high profile is because of this unfortunate phase in the 90s:

He was made de facto leader of the Avengers in the 90s and became very EXTREEEEME just like the rest of the characters in focus at that time, constantly gritting his teeth, screaming with spittle flying out, talking about how tortured and dark he is, never shaving, etc. When Kurt Busiek came onto the book and restored the Avengers to their classic vibe, he swept Black Knight under the rug along with the rest of the X-treme aesthetic. Black Knight's never really recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

Black Knight is the successor to a 60s villain of the same name who restored the legacy of the lineage of dark knights going back to the court of king arthur, heroic knights who wield a dark cursed sword and protect the world from the shadows, and the reason he isn't high profile is because of this unfortunate phase in the 90s:

He had a lightsaber, so I thought he was cool :shobon: