Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Your friends sound like loving nerds

Their entire opinion on RLM is from the plinket starwars reviews and they got really turned off by the random murder and abuse scenes. I told them they don't do those anymore really and mike only hates chinamen now but they weren't buying it.

Also those guys are huge huge nerds. My one actual close friend who does it actually doesn't even think their content is funny and it's just a job for him :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
^^^ that's so sad. like "what do you do for a living?" "i pretend to like poo poo for money." I mean there's actors and marketers and commercials, but the whole "i'm pretending to be sincere about loving BvS every-loving-day" must be soul-destroying.

The worst part is if you're a mega-geek by nature, you can't ever "go straight"... you've got a portfolio of terrible, fully-paid-for opinions following you around until you die.

SpacePig posted:

I'll give them sexist and racist, but problematic? I don't see it.

problematic for the nerd shill shows, probably. having someone satirize your industry so well is going to affect the borderline "geek , but not turbonerd" viewers eventually

PlaneGuy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 30, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The one problem with their podcast is, who the gently caress is shilling for WB? Like, who are they attempting to take down a peg here? If anything nerd media just continuously shits on them with no real analysis

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

SpacePig posted:

I'll give them sexist and racist, but problematic? I don't see it.

you can't spell Problematic without RLM. And with the remaining letters you can make: oat bicep

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
im the happy birthday spidat-man

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PlaneGuy posted:

^^^ that's so sad. like "what do you do for a living?" "i pretend to like poo poo for money." I mean there's actors and marketers and commercials, but the whole "i'm pretending to be sincere about loving BvS every-loving-day" must be soul-destroying.

The worst part is if you're a mega-geek by nature, you can't ever "go straight"... you've got a portfolio of terrible, fully-paid-for opinions following you around until you die.

problematic for the nerd shill shows, probably. having someone satirize your industry so well is going to affect the borderline "geek , but not turbonerd" viewers eventually

He mostly likes his work. They do a ton of content and the the stuff he personally does he likes doing. But he also does a lot of editing and behind the camera stuff for other content they pump out. Different people have different tastes and senses of humour and their brand of it generally just makes me cringe and roll my eyes, but they make good money so clearly a ton of people love their light hearted positive nerd humour. He's super into magic cards too so getting paid by Wizards to do marketing for them and the con circuit is once again fun for him.

If you genuinely love something and then get paid to do it and shill for what you'd be hyped for anyways that's a dream job for a lot of people. The discomfort comes later when you realize you have to stay hyped about a brand forever no matter how bad their products become or you can't pay your rent.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Link their videos.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paladinus posted:

Link their videos.

http://loadingreadyrun.com/
I haven't actually given any a chance in like 5 years though. Maybe I don't like it because I know them? (they're very nice people!)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 30, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't actually given any a chance in like 5 years though. Maybe I don't like it because I know them?

Wait a second. Didn't they work for Escapist making MST3K type of riffs to video game cut scenes? Those were moderately funny to my teenager self.

naem
May 29, 2011

vermin posted:

you can't spell Problematic without RLM. And with the remaining letters you can make: oat bicep

:stare:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paladinus posted:

Wait a second. Didn't they work for Escapist making MST3K type of riffs to video game cut scenes? Those were moderately funny to my teenager self.

Yeah that's them, they also do a big yearly charity thing, desert bus.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't actually given any a chance in like 5 years though. Maybe I don't like it because I know them? (they're very nice people!)

Not in a million years will I ever click on this link you lunkhead

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Baronjutter posted:

What is this trash?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

(they're very nice people!)

Actually they're loving human garbage if they don't like RLM.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

We Know Catheters posted:

What is this trash?

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

Baronjutter posted:

Which one is your friend? I'm guessing not the bearded one, he seems very into it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that's them, they also do a big yearly charity thing, desert bus.

Wait, they are the desert bus people? I have no idea how they do that but it's a nice little charity drive. Not sure if it makes up for them being paid shills.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope he at least sucks your dick for plugging their crap.

Also murder humor is best humor, so gently caress those delicate flowers.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Baronjutter posted:

Their entire opinion on RLM is from the plinket starwars reviews and they got really turned off by the random murder and abuse scenes. I told them they don't do those anymore really and mike only hates chinamen now but they weren't buying it.

Also those guys are huge huge nerds. My one actual close friend who does it actually doesn't even think their content is funny and it's just a job for him :(

I bet they didn't even jerk off during A Serbian Film.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I bet they didn't even jerk off during A Serbian Film.

Has Jay ever recommend the film? I think he'd liked it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

monster on a stick posted:

Wait, they are the desert bus people? I have no idea how they do that but it's a nice little charity drive. Not sure if it makes up for them being paid shills.

It's not like being paid to advertise things is inherently evil or anything. It's just kinda tacky.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually being a shill is evil.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

If you genuinely love something and then get paid to do it and shill for what you'd be hyped for anyways that's a dream job for a lot of people. The discomfort comes later when you realize you have to stay hyped about a brand forever no matter how bad their products become or you can't pay your rent.

I always wonder what the next career move is for people in these kinds of jobs - what if people stop liking your content & you stop getting enough income, what if you don't want to do it anymore, what if you Sacco/Jontron yourself out of work & income

do you just apply to some office somewhere saying you were self-employed & know how to use computers, do you try to transition to the background of the online content industry, or what

Stabbatical fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 31, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Stabbatical posted:

I always wonder what the next career move is for people in these kinds of jobs - what if people stop liking your content & you stop getting enough income, what if you don't want to do it anymore, what if you Sacco/Jontron yourself out of work & income

do you just apply to some office somewhere saying you were self-employed & know how to use computers, do you try to transition to the background of the online content industry, or what

You become an editor, or a producer of other online content. Boring but true.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
You become Jack.

Space Taxi fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 1, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Eventually everyone will be a producer for Buzzfeed or Rooster Teeth or one of those other places that inexplicably supports a shitload of employees with one YouTube channel.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Space Taxi posted:

You become Jack.

Sup.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Indolent Bastard posted:

This.
You form a buzzword titled channel like Looper/Mojo/Gameranx/outsidexbox/whatculture/etc and do click bait videos of Top Ten X or Where are the Cast of X Now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Where ARE the cast of the Rockford Files now?

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
New video is quality:

Horse Ninja!

https://youtu.be/OEl9sUmTqCQ

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

auzdark posted:

New video is quality:

Horse Ninja!

Check out the credits to see who played Horse Ninja. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

auzdark posted:

New video is quality:

Horse Ninja!

Oh man, I thought I'd dreamed this movie. Good to know I'm not insane.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Check out the credits to see who played Horse Ninja. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

cameron mitchell?!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's like Christmas today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yewHl_TcOE8

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I recognized that fighting style immediately.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Spoilers for the cameo I hope Len stuck around and we get another BotW with Ninja movies

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

bondster posted:

Spoilers for the cameo I hope Len stuck around and we get another BotW with Ninja movies

I hope we get a Len Kabasinski movie starring the RLM crew.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
That was amazing!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Definitely one of the best Previously Recordeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008