Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ys is a fun action adventure game that happens to have embarrassingly bad plots, characters, and art direction

like, deviantart levels of poo poo

it's weird I like the games a lot too but at the same time I'm very lukewarm about everything Ys that doesn't involve the music or the gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

KingSlime posted:

bad plots, characters

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I enjoy most of the plots/characters prior to 7 and Celceta really. I dunno, maybe it's partly to do with the localization or just there being a lot more plot in general. Or maybe the characters are just really bad.

Well, Terra is pretty horrible in 6 as well but at least she's not in tooooo much of the game.

Dogi is pretty much the best in general though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
to be fair I haven't played a lot of the older ones

I should

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Stardew Valley is super good

Can it come to the drat Switch already? It's the only thing holding me back from ordering one! (That and the neon one is never in stock when I look)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I skip all the cutscenes in Ys games because I don't give a crap about stories in games where all you do is kill stuff unless it's Nier Automata.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

KingSlime posted:

Ys is a fun action adventure game that happens to have embarrassingly bad plots, characters, and art direction

like, deviantart levels of poo poo

it's weird I like the games a lot too but at the same time I'm very lukewarm about everything Ys that doesn't involve the music or the gameplay
I actually strongly disagree! Ys games just don't have enough plot content for it really good or bad, with 7 as maybe the only possible exception (including Celceta). With that I don't remember particularly caring for it but most of my lack of enthusiasm at the time I chalk up to the introduction of the party system.

It's not like this is Tales we're talking about here.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This just looks like a screencap from a yaoi game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I skip all the cutscenes in Ys games because I don't give a crap about stories in games where all you do is kill stuff unless it's Nier Automata.

What you don't want to hear the important backstory about why Leeza has a Galbalan as a pet

Or why Ozma ...

... okay well I didn't skip the cutscenes and I still don't know why he was in the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What you don't want to hear the important backstory about why Leeza has a Galbalan as a pet

Or why Ozma ...

... okay well I didn't skip the cutscenes and I still don't know why he was in the game.

So you can have a character who's entire gimmick is centered around underwater battle which you skip 99% of the time outside of the one boss battle it's required because underwater combat always sucks (except in Origin, they kinda nailed it there)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Palmer Luckey has been let go from Facebook, looks like. Is this the first man fired for memes?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Im in the process of replaying Ys: Memories of Celceta because I remember never actually finishing it and looking at the trophies I have it looks like I got to literally the last fight in the game and just dropping it for whatever reason. I am back in the final dungeon so I wonder what happens that must have made me ragequit back at release.
I don't really remember that fight being all that hard, assuming you're talking about the actual last battle. I do remember it having kickass music tho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd86VkThbK4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
apparently ys 8 is actually the first game in the series to have any real meat to its plot, but it's also being translated by nisa who are way shakier than xseed, so rip

overall though yeah, the characters in ys are pretty decent overall but it's just not the series falcom's directed their writing talent towards since trails started and thankfully xseed's localization work on those games is perfect

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys VIII definitely has probably 2 to 3 times more dialogue than Celceta but it's a still game where adol falls off a boat and then kills 10 million enemies with his sword

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Ys VIII definitely has probably 2 to 3 times more dialogue than Celceta but it's a still game where adol falls off a boat and then kills 10 million enemies with his sword
I wouldn't have it any other way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
More dialogue is never a good thing when it comes to anime action rugs

Eveeeeer!!

E: huh i meant rpgs but you know what its staying that way

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I was referring more to the latter half of that post.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I don't know about you, but all my rugs are extensively verbose and anime.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Palmer Luckey has been let go from Facebook, looks like. Is this the first man fired for memes?

lol if anyone thought VR was gonna take off, just lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

In Training posted:

I don't see any downsides...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol if anyone thought VR was gonna take off, just lol

Isn't it useful in a bunch of other industries? we'll probably get there eventually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wallscrolls are just sideways rugs

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

definitely not the first

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

here's one of likely many:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Rt3GR1HvQ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol thank you for reminding me that that guy got fired for using a hella outdated Clannad image macro

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some one should use that as an av....

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've got surgery tomorrow and now I'm all wired and tired and want to play something to distract myself but sort of don't???

You'd think if I was gonna sit around doing nothing I'd take up... i dunno, watching tv or anime or something

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Play surgery simulator. You know, to prepare yourself.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Some one should use that as an av....

Listen: Sakurazuka has come unstuck in time...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/847524094182592512

I guess that's one VR headset down.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
praise be to based kaz

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A-April Fools day came early this year, huh! ha ha

ha

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Snak posted:

Play surgery simulator. You know, to prepare yourself.

I'm thinking about videos of surgeon simulator I've seen and now I'm vaguely irrationally terrified

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry. I actually considered whether it was a douchy thing to do to suggest surgeon simulator to someone about to undergo surgery. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

I'm thinking about videos of surgeon simulator I've seen and now I'm vaguely irrationally terrified

You're going to be just fine, Ciaphas. Try to relax and distract yourself with something so you don't spend your time being anxious over it?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

After playing Colorado some more in Hitman, I don't think the level deserves the hate it gets. I like it better than Bangkok. My biggest issue is probably that the main mission forces you to take the same exit every time, so I'm not completing any of the alternate exit challenges :argh:

I think Colorado is really cool as a concept, it's just sorta small and doesn't mesh together that well. Still a really good level though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PantsBandit posted:

I think Colorado is really cool as a concept, it's just sorta small and doesn't mesh together that well. Still a really good level though.

My opinion has come around a lot on it thanks to just finishing a run with the mannequin arm. Hard to be mad at it when I got to cap everything off by dropping the car lift on four people. :D

....and I'm also realizing that this game reminds me of Saints Row a lot in how it's all about making the enemy ragdoll for my amusement.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nah I kid I've been through the surgery windmill before, sorry, bad joke on my part :v:

(surgeon simulator is kinda terrifying in its own way to me though)

Anyway it's a thyroidectomy for a maybe-possibly-cancer which is apparently routine as hell so I shouldn't be worried anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

I'm sorry. I actually considered whether it was a douchy thing to do to suggest surgeon simulator to someone about to undergo surgery. :(

Trauma Center is the more realistic depiction of surgery anyways

• Locked thread