Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The MSJ posted:

You know how James Gunn seems to be given more room to work with at Marvel? He might be the closest thing Marvel has to Snyder. I can see Snyder replacing him for GOTG3.

Just have Gunn write and Snyder direct both Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and Justice League 2 and it'd be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In BvS doesn't one of the cops or criminals mention that the "Bat is back," which I interpreted as grizzled old Batman had been gone for at least long enough for someone to notice that he was back.
I don't remember that line, but I do remember Bruce lamenting to Alfred that he'd been fighting crime for 20 years and seeing no significant change in crime numbers or whatever.

Guy A. Person posted:

I think the nerds who like the current DC output in this thread will watch Snyder stuff and avoid Whedon stuff and won't really show brand loyalty in that manner. I think the "DC hivemind" is more about the current styles of these film than specifically being DC films. I could be wrong though.
For me this is exactly how I feel about the whole shebang. Except I very much disliked Suicide Squad (aside from Joker and some Waller bits). It's the challenge of the characters in the script that appeals to me, (and the fact they're goddamn gorgeously shot) more than anything else.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 30, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No I think you're right, as someone who falls into the Snyder liking camp. I'm completely nonplussed by Joss Whedon making a DC film, but am open to it. I don't actually dislike any Marvel films, I just never need or want to watch them more than once. I typically enjoy the one time I watch them. I'm sure Whedon can make a Batgirl movie I will enjoy once and quickly forget.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

:siren: James Wan says Aquaman movie features people riding sharks. :siren:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Concept art from some con shows that these are specifically armored sharks, and people are describing Wan's vision as an epic space opera but underwater, which sounds just fine to me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Like I'll cop to always being more of a DC guy but was never huge on Batman or Superman (more of a Flash and JL guy). I was lukewarm on MoS when it came out but it grew on me a lot and I absolutely love BvS. I also like a bunch of the Marvel stuff, thought Doctor Strange in particular really delivered on the visuals. I mostly respond to the blanket "everyone knows WB is loving things up and putting out garbage and Marvel Studios can do no wrong" attitude that occasionally pops up, not even necessarily just here but FB and elsewhere.

My opinion is that both (well all) of the studios have good and bad output. I think Marvel started off interesting but then kind of coasted and played it safe during the last part of Phase 1 and most of Phase 2, but now is finally doing some interesting shared universe stuff with more creative directors and concepts again. DCCU took for drat ever to get properly started but they did good (if divisive) giving Snyder the big opening trilogy; Suicide Squad had some big issues but I also feel like the DCCU has a target on its head anyway. Sony and Fox have been different degrees of good (first 2 Spider-Men and like every opposite X-Men) and bad (FF stuff), and it was in vogue for awhile to bash their output since they "stole" the best Marvel properties.

Mostly I am just going to go to what looks good to me, this past few years that's been Snyder's DC stuff and a few of the Marvel films.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The MSJ posted:

Outrageous!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

Not only sharks, but also riding giant octopuses/octopi and other things.

Sounds crazy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

Sounds crazy.

One person riding an octopus into battle sounds a lot less effective than one octopus wielding eight humans as projectiles.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Which will win out:

CineD's soft spot for defending the DCEU or its hatred of Joss Whedon?

All those CineD DC fangirls vociferously defending Green Lantern

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lobok posted:

One person riding an octopus into battle sounds a lot less effective than one octopus wielding eight humans as projectiles.

No reason to assume this wont be the case. 9 people, one riding the octopus, commanding it which human projectile to fling

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Before being launched, one of the human projectiles needs to look at the camera and go "eh, it's a living."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

There's projects where Whedon's style could actually work really well. I've said this before but his participation in the MCU should have been something like directing a webseries where they Avengers joked around during their downtime*. Stuff like the party in AoU were the best parts of the films. A movie where there's tons of just palling around and joking could actually work to his strengths. I doubt Batgirl will be that though, and the dude is not capable of directing film action all that well.

I'm not really up to speed on the comics but isn't a big focus on the/a recent Batgirl title about Barbara's life with her friends in essentially the Gotham equivalent of Brooklyn?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh possibly, I just figured from a standpoint of the current DCCU look and feel what they presumably would be aiming for with a Batgirl movie. If he took it and made it a palling around and occasionally fighting crime and getting lectures from that curmudgeon Batman while hiding your crime-fighting life from your dad. Then yeah he could probably pull that off!

(I don't know what the current DC Batgirl comic is about either, this was just an example of a potential "Whedonesque" movie)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You'd think for something with the potential to be really big like Batgirl they'd hire someone who had written or/and directed at least one good movie previously.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh possibly, I just figured from a standpoint of the current DCCU look and feel what they presumably would be aiming for with a Batgirl movie. If he took it and made it a palling around and occasionally fighting crime and getting lectures from that curmudgeon Batman while hiding your crime-fighting life from your dad. Then yeah he could probably pull that off!

(I don't know what the current DC Batgirl comic is about either, this was just an example of a potential "Whedonesque" movie)

Sounds like he's be right at home with most of the DC TV stuff, if that were the case. Would look the same too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They don't want a good movie, they want a movie that makes money like Avengers I and II did.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Did someone say something about an underwater movie?

The MSJ posted:

:hawaaaafap:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Concept art from some con shows that these are specifically armored sharks, and people are describing Wan's vision as an epic space opera but underwater, which sounds just fine to me.

:fap:

Drifter posted:

:circlefap:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 30, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's me, the guy who loves Dark Knight Rises, loves/likes Snyder's stuff, likes Avengers despite the flaws, thought Dr Strange pretty much did what they promised: a stock Marvel movie with some nutty visuals, and wants to see what Whedon does with Batgirl.

Oh and you KNOW I'm 100% on board for shark-ridin'

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Age of Ultron was a step up from The Avengers, so hopefully he'll just keep improving.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I fell asleep both times I tried watching Avengers 1. Age of Ultron kept me awake, but I had a grimace the entire time minus the cool Black Panther bits.

I'd love to see a Netflix Batgirl that was only 8 episodes. If whedon wanted to write it, so be it, but no CW romance angles. None. No drama about whether or not to tell someone if she's batgirl. MAYBE one quick little "I wish I could tell my dad bit, but that's IT.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

I fell asleep both times I tried watching Avengers 1. Age of Ultron kept me awake, but I had a grimace the entire time minus the cool Black Panther bits.

I'd love to see a Netflix Batgirl that was only 8 episodes. If whedon wanted to write it, so be it, but no CW romance angles. None. No drama about whether or not to tell someone if she's batgirl. MAYBE one quick little "I wish I could tell my dad bit, but that's IT.

Black Panter wasn't in 'Age of Ultron'.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jutsuka posted:

Black Panter wasn't in 'Age of Ultron'.

I think he meant the scenes in Ultron where they are in Wakanda.

Gollum gets his hand chopped off and the ship graveyard.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

I think he meant the scenes in Ultron where they are in Wakanda.

Gollum gets his hand chopped off and the ship graveyard.

I figured Drifter had supressed every memory of 'Age of Ultron' and his brain substitued 'Civil War' in it's place to protect him from the horrors of remembering that ugly garbage. Not that 'Civil War' is much of an improvement.

Jutsuka fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 30, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, Jesus you're right.

Wowow. That's incredible. I'm literally laughing at my desk after realizing that. You can't really blame me, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/rehsifyar/status/847551533864464385

Dorks :allears:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Apparently the Batgirl movie plans to draw inspiration from New 52 Batgirl and I've read that means it'll be bad.

What's so bad about new 52 Batgirl?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Apparently the Batgirl movie plans to draw inspiration from New 52 Batgirl and I've read that means it'll be bad.

Nerds are upset they retooled the book to aim at an actual female teen/YA demographic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's not a huge issue, but Batgirl doesn't really fit into the DCEU's timeline if they are planning on making her Barbara Gordon.

Introducing Batman as "grizzled guy who has been doing this for 20+ years" and no Commissioner until Justice League doesn't leave much room for the Barbara Gordon Batgirl origin story.

Yeah, I like BvS quite a bit (the extended cut, anyway, the theatrical is a hot mess) but they really screwed up in their plans for future movies / the "Batman universe" by going straight for the "old Batman who's disgruntled and at the end of his run" story.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nerds are upset they retooled the book to aim at an actual female teen/YA demographic.

Those fiends!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, I like BvS quite a bit (the extended cut, anyway, the theatrical is a hot mess) but they really screwed up in their plans for future movies / the "Batman universe" by going straight for the "old Batman who's disgruntled and at the end of his run" story.

I dunno I like renewed older Batman getting a chance to recruit Batpeople, gives me hope he won't be Batman Beyond Bruce

then again that Bruce had Batpeople of his own and still ended broken.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

feedmyleg posted:

e: the mullet-rocking Supes picture from JL

Battlefield Earth reboot looking good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Detective No. 27 posted:

That was the DCYou version, the N52 was more of a drama/horror book where the Joker and the Killing Joke had a pretty prominent role.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Every woman I know who would go see a comic book movie also loves Joss Whedon's tv shows.

So, this could actually be a good fit?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Martman posted:

Edward Superhands

I read this while stoned and laughed long and hard

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MacheteZombie posted:

Her suit is way more traditional superhero, meaning light armor plated skintight bodysuit and knee high boots instead of the pleather jacket and work boots she has now.

edit: wish I could answer in terms of story, but I never got into that series

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are these the same nerds that flipped their poo poo over the doge meme in that one Miss Marvel comic? Wait was it Miss Marvel or Captain Marvel

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

parallelodad posted:

It was Zelda

Fitzgerald?

• Locked thread