Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Cameo posted:

I'm more excited to see what weird thing gets blown up over opening weekend and leads to people screaming "NOT MY JUSTICE LEAGUE" repeatedly for months on end.

This thread is 90 percent Snyderverse already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

well why not posted:

Just use "Kiss From A Rose" again. I don't care what the tone of the movie is.
I think you're onto something here.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

parallelodad posted:

Snyder's Superman may be gritty, but he's not particularly angry or badass. The only real anger we've seen from him was when somebody was touching his mom.

I'm so disappointed that apparently there won't by any May-Tony romance in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Peter seeing them making out with each other is an easy way to start the Venom storyline.

edit:
It seems that most people want Peele to make The Flash instead of Akira.
https://twitter.com/TheInSneider/status/847297378428141568

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 30, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Flash would be a better fit for him because I'd rather the more mainstream thing get more social commentary.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

well why not posted:

So if you can fudge 88 = 90s, can I label Death Of Superman as 80s? Like, do you know what dates are?

Arguable whether it applies to the specific comics you guys are talking about, but what we think of when we think of a decade usually doesn't start until a couple years in and then blends into the next decade for a couple years. The Seventies of popular imagination/memory don't start right away at 1970. The very early 60s are not what we think of as The Sixties but share more in common with the 50s. The early 50s look like the 40s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lobok posted:

Arguable whether it applies to the specific comics you guys are talking about, but what we think of when we think of a decade usually doesn't start until a couple years in and then blends into the next decade for a couple years. The Seventies of popular imagination/memory don't start right away at 1970. The very early 60s are not what we think of as The Sixties but share more in common with the 50s. The early 50s look like the 40s.

The 2000s have a pretty hard coded start date.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah it's not always true, depending on what part of the culture you're talking about. Like it's commonly believed that disco did actually die in 1979. It's also easier to see the delineation the further away you are.

Out of curiosity though, what are you referring to? The WMillenium? 9/11?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Y2K was such a disappointment. Way overhyped.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lobok posted:

Yeah it's not always true, depending on what part of the culture you're talking about. Like it's commonly believed that disco did actually die in 1979. It's also easier to see the delineation the further away you are.

Out of curiosity though, what are you referring to? The WMillenium? 9/11?

Before 9/11, the only signifier of the 2000s was green ketchup, but even that feels like one of the last vestiges of the 90s.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some details from DC's showcase at CinemaCon

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/aquaman-concept-art-makes-a-splash-in-las-vegas-1202019173/

http://mashable.com/2017/03/29/movies-wonder-woman-footage-cinemacon-trailer-ares/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#3H7efNL83mqg

http://deadline.com/2017/03/justice-league-cinemacon-1202055240/

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Oh poo poo yeah, a new Lost Boys movie!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Edward Superhands

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Martman posted:

Edward Superhands

lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Realistically grounded Rem Lazar reboot looking on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H6Jff4CNzw

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Superman bursts from his grave and immediately joins The Cure.

Sorry, Robert, you've been replaced.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Peele should do a Wally West Flash movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/

quote:

Batgirl is flying solo. The superheroine is getting her own standalone movie from filmmaker Joss Whedon.

Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce an untitled Batgirl pic for Warner Bros. as part of its DC Extended Universe.

No other producers are currently attached. Toby Emmerich, president and chief content officer of Warner Bros. Pictures Group is overseeing with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns. The new project originated in the past month.

:psyduck:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm shocked this thread has enough profile that someone would make a movie targeted specifically to drive it insane.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The quips are coming! The quips are coming!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Which will win out:

CineD's soft spot for defending the DCEU or its hatred of Joss Whedon?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Which will win out:

CineD's soft spot for defending the DCEU or its hatred of Joss Whedon?

That depends. How buff will Whedon be by then?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If anything he seems like the most likely writer to do that fancomic where Joker shows up at Barb's door to do the killing joke and she decks him and disarms him in one punch.

Or maybe she will get paralyzed and tell her romantic partner Robin that now she's a monster.

50/50 chance

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's not a huge issue, but Batgirl doesn't really fit into the DCEU's timeline if they are planning on making her Barbara Gordon.

Introducing Batman as "grizzled guy who has been doing this for 20+ years" and no Commissioner until Justice League doesn't leave much room for the Barbara Gordon Batgirl origin story.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's projects where Whedon's style could actually work really well. I've said this before but his participation in the MCU should have been something like directing a webseries where they Avengers joked around during their downtime*. Stuff like the party in AoU were the best parts of the films. A movie where there's tons of just palling around and joking could actually work to his strengths. I doubt Batgirl will be that though, and the dude is not capable of directing film action all that well.

* although Taika Waititi is killing that role at the moment

Phylodox posted:

That depends. How buff will Whedon be by then?

10/10

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

no Commissioner until Justice League

Is that the case though? I just thought they hadn't introduced the character yet, not that Gordon hasn't been Gotham Commish.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Is that the case though? I just thought they hadn't introduced the character yet, not that Gordon hasn't been Gotham Commish.

Yeah, Gordon's line about it being nice to see Batman working with others again in the Justice League trailer implies this isn't a new relationship. Also, the Bat Signal is already a thing in BvS.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

It's not a huge issue, but Batgirl doesn't really fit into the DCEU's timeline if they are planning on making her Barbara Gordon.

Introducing Batman as "grizzled guy who has been doing this for 20+ years" and no Commissioner until Justice League doesn't leave much room for the Barbara Gordon Batgirl origin story.

Who says it's contemporary? Maybe it's a period piece that takes place in the early '90s.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That's true. Gordon probably has been around for a while.

The "Batgirl comes into existence 20+ years after Batman and Batman has already retired once" is still a decade or two past the Barbara Gordon story.

It's not a huge deal, though. Gym Gordon was probably just popping out kids 20 years later in the DCEU.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They must have accidentally posted their April Fool's joke a couple days early.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Equeen posted:

Yeah, I'm really bracing myself for the dreaded image of a (possibly) breaded Henry Cavill with slightly longer hair.

Well poo poo, that'd definitely be a new take on the resurrection of Superman. And people say Snyder isn't innovative. :laugh:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Drifter posted:

Well poo poo, that'd definitely be a new take on the resurrection of Superman. And people say Snyder isn't innovative. :laugh:

lol god I'm dumb

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A breaded Superman is lowered into a hot Kryptonian Healing Oil bath to regain his strength. "I've never felt tastier!" he remarks.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I want so bad for WB to hire Joss Whedon to direct Justice League 2. The nerd outrage would be so beautiful.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

UmOk posted:

I want so bad for WB to hire Joss Whedon to direct Justice League 2. The nerd outrage would be so beautiful.

I think you've got it backwards. Nerds would be delighted by that and horrified if Marvel hired Zach Snyder to direct Avengers 4.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A lot of people also seem to view this as middle finger from Whedon towards Marvel for not letting him make the Avengers 2 he wanted to make.

On one hand, WB might give Whedon more creative freedom. On the other hand, WB might give Whedon more creative freedom.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'd be fine with Whedon writing a first pass script, before better people get their hands on it. And then not being the loving director.

That's true. Gordon probably has been around for a while.

The "Batgirl comes into existence 20+ years after Batman and Batman has already retired once" is still a decade or two past the Barbara Gordon story.

It's not a huge deal, though. Gym Gordon was probably just popping out kids 20 years later in the DCEU.

Batman never retired in the current DCEU, just in the awful Dark Knight Rises.

While I love Babs, I wouldn't be mad if they skipped a bit of timeline and had Babs be straight oracle and Katie Kane be this iteration of Batgirl.

I mean, I'd love a barbara gordon movie, and think it'd fit perfectly fine in the current Batman mythology of the DCEU without any fuckery, since Gordon would be like 25 or 26. Gym Gordon movies to Gotham and has Barbara a few years later, while babs grows up hearing good and bad things about Batman, and finally gets saved by him or somesuch and then she Oracles her way into his life. And Gym Gordon could always be saying "I'm too old for this poo poo" whenever he sees batgirl swinging around fighting crime with Batman.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 30, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thinking about it, the last Justice League member should be Santo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

Batman never retired in the current DCEU, just in the awful Dark Knight Rises.

While I love Babs, I wouldn't be mad if they skipped a bit of timeline and had Babs be straight oracle and Katie Kane be this iteration of Batgirl.

I mean, I'd love a barbara gordon movie, and think it'd fit perfectly fine in the current Batman mythology of the DCEU without any fuckery, since Gordon would be like 25 or 26.

In BvS doesn't one of the cops or criminals mention that the "Bat is back," which I interpreted as grizzled old Batman had been gone for at least long enough for someone to notice that he was back.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I think you've got it backwards. Nerds would be delighted by that and horrified if Marvel hired Zach Snyder to direct Avengers 4.

You know how James Gunn seems to be given more room to work with at Marvel? He might be the closest thing Marvel has to Snyder. I can see Snyder replacing him for GOTG3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I'd agree about the plurality of "nerds", but there are certainly different nerd factions

I think the nerds who like the current DC output in this thread will watch Snyder stuff and avoid Whedon stuff and won't really show brand loyalty in that manner. I think the "DC hivemind" is more about the current styles of these film than specifically being DC films. I could be wrong though.

• Locked thread