Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Read Shadowrun: The Official Manga of the Official SNES adaptation of the TRPG instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Plutonis posted:

Read Shadowrun: The Official Manga of the Official SNES adaptation of the TRPG instead

This sounds pretty cool, I liked that game even though to play it now the gameplay is pretty lacking. Don't think there was much else like it at the time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

starkebn posted:

This sounds pretty cool, I liked that game even though to play it now the gameplay is pretty lacking. Don't think there was much else like it at the time.

There was the Sega version, which was better in pretty much every way. :P

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Liquid Communism posted:

There was the Sega version, which was better in pretty much every way. :P

maybe so, but they weren't the same game, just two different Shadowrun games on two different systems

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Genesis Shadowrun and SNES Shadowrun have different characters and storylines and they even adapted gameplay mechanics differently. The only things in common are the license.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If you like the Genesis Shadowrun game there's a clone on the Android store that is actually really well done. http://www.tresebrothers.com/cyber-knights/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
See, um, the problem with the Genesis game is that while it's truer to the source material, with better gameplay and an open world, it's ugly as hell. That game...is also not very pretty.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My favorite pre-HBS Shadowrun game is Decker, but I'm not sure it'll run on modern computers.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Guilty posted:

My favorite pre-HBS Shadowrun game is Decker, but I'm not sure it'll run on modern computers.

It did on my Windows 7 machine. Haven't tried it on Windows 10.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
I never got very far into the main plot of the Genesis game. I did waste quite a bit of time with the decking minigame, though, which is a really good approximation of 1e/2e era Shadowrun matrix poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The coolest thing about the Genesis game is the hidden plot to blow up the nuclear power plant and turn Seattle into a radioactive wasteland that you only even learn about if you gently caress around in totally optional corners of some of the megacorps' networks and follow the clues you find

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone familiar with the Advanced Fighting Fantasy RPG? It's on Bundle of Holding right now. I know it started off as a line of CYOA-type books, but apparently they made it into a full-on corebook and I'm wondering what that's like.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is anyone familiar with the Advanced Fighting Fantasy RPG? It's on Bundle of Holding right now. I know it started off as a line of CYOA-type books, but apparently they made it into a full-on corebook and I'm wondering what that's like.

No, but man did I love those books as a kid. They were the best thing about the scholastic book days.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have the core book, Titan, Out of the Pit and Sorcery. A lot of that is nostalgia. I had (and still have) the original Dungeoneer book as a kid.

I've only played it a couple of times.

It is pretty simple for the most part. All characters have a stat called Skill. You also have small "s" skills with ratings on in the +1-3 kind of range. When you make a check for stuff out of combat you try and roll under Skill+skill on 2d6.

In combat you roll 2D6+Skill+skill vs your opponent and want to roll high. The combat rules are a bit clunky because there really aren't rules for movement and positioning (since they don't exist in gamebooks). Its easy enough to elide that stuff, but by default the combat is basically Final Fantasy.

There are several magic systems, that generally involve your Magic and Stamina stats.

The main rules have some kind-of neat guidance for custom races and a fun dungeon creation system based on rolling d6s and drawing rooms based on the physical positions of the rolled dice.

Titan is a pretty neat setting book, and Out of the Pit has some interesting monster descriptions. Particularly if you like 80s British fantasy sensibilities.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brainiac Five posted:

It did on my Windows 7 machine. Haven't tried it on Windows 10.
I get reminded of this game every year or so and bust it out. I'm playing it on 10 right now!

Only problem is that visually it's kind of tiny.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Plutonis posted:

I think this is an adaption of the Sega CD game friendo

thefakenews posted:

Particularly if you like 80s British fantasy sensibilities.

How much of art in the books is by Russ Nicholson? This is extremely important, I am already leaning towards purchasing

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 31, 2017

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

How much of art in the books is by Russ Nicholson? This is extremely important, I am already leaning towards purchasing

A good portion. I counted about a dozen pieces in each of the Core Rules and Titan that I am pretty confident are Nicholson. Plus a bunch of little filler illustrations that look like they might be him. I'm sure he's got stuff in the others too. I do have to say that the artwork reproduction in the printed books is very washed out. Don't know how the pdfs look.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

today I left a local facebook group for trading/selling magic the gathering cards after posting a giant box of random cards I wanted to sell and getting a bunch of creepy replies in return

I know we don't usually talk about magic itt but I'm feelin kinda salty and upset about it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm glad i got out of magic when i did; the rules went to poo poo, they banned the core card of my favorite archetype, the stuff i had was still worth enough that i made about as much money selling it as i did buying in, and CCGs in general are kind of exploitative bullshit and physical card games doubly so

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Reene posted:

today I left a local facebook group for trading/selling magic the gathering cards after posting a giant box of random cards I wanted to sell and getting a bunch of creepy replies in return

I know we don't usually talk about magic itt but I'm feelin kinda salty and upset about it

No joke PM me the cardlist you have and I'll see if I need any of it and gently caress those guys

E: I'll even pay for shipping if you have something real good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have literally never had a Facebook gaming group turn out well. I left my last one that was formed by WoW tanking forumsgoers because it was taken over by hardcore conservative chat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have literally never had a Facebook gaming group turn out well. I left my last one that was formed by WoW tanking forumsgoers because it was taken over by hardcore conservative chat.

That sucks, I'm sorry. I've been in three (two board, one fighting games) for setting up tournaments and meet-ups and all have been great.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you're on an irl meet with people from facebook and the internet in general you should count your prayers you aren't being chained to a basement or having your organs removed.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Anyone looking for a sad, bad game? Here's an Exalted 3rd Edition Deluxe book (and extras) for sale.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's the best game of the decade

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plutonis posted:

It's the best game of the decade

that too

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm glad i got out of magic when i did; the rules went to poo poo, they banned the core card of my favorite archetype, the stuff i had was still worth enough that i made about as much money selling it as i did buying in, and CCGs in general are kind of exploitative bullshit and physical card games doubly so

I had a D&D buddy who would buy Magic cards after our gaming sessions from the store we played at.
One time he was like "oh hey, I spent $50 on this pack, and I can sell this particular card for like $500 on Amazon right now,"

It was approximately the most :ussr: moment of my life.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Reene posted:

For any cards Lightning Lord doesn't want, you could try the SA Mart Magic thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

The box I have is literally just a grab box of several hundred cards from many different sets (KTK, RtR, RtI, Kaladesh, some Mirage for some fuckin reason) that I have zero interest in sorting.

I have some actual good cards set aside that I can PM people tho

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Paranoia freaking sucks

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The problem with Paranoia is that the more someone is hyped about Paranoia the less everyone else wants to play with him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The problem with Paranoia is that it let itself get overtaken by its own meme jokes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Reene posted:

I stopped wanting to play MtG irl with anyone besides friends when I kept getting comments about "how well" I built my own decks. Because obviously if I come in to a game shop with guy friends then one of them must be the boyfriend who built my deck for me. Then I stopped playing with friends because we don't live near anywhere near each other now, so welp :v:

I tried joining a local RPG-player Facebook group once, and then they decided they wanted to talk about which 3e D&D iconic was the hottest.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 1, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

The RL venue I usually use (Guardian Games in Portland) has actually gotten better lately in part because it seems like there was an influx of rad (and extremely good) female players and in part because the worst offenders in terms of creepiness are now gone. I don't know if they left of their own volition or if someone finally talked to them or what, but gone is gone I guess. Previously I had quit playing at GG because there were a couple of guys out of the dozen that did drafts that were unforgivably gross and seemed to have no sense of personal space or boundaries. One of them would pat me on the head if I won a round (?!??) and would just generally find ways to touch me without asking, up to and including sneaking up behind me and hugging me. The last straw was a dude following me out of the store and following me partway to my train home, unbidden, while talking loudly about his favorite BDSM-themed fantasy series.

Recently I got into a brief Twitter Thing with some dudes insisting that harassment of women is not a problem in Magic. :rolleye:

Anyway thanks for not being gross assholes y'all.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

See, um, the problem with the Genesis game is that while it's truer to the source material, with better gameplay and an open world, it's ugly as hell. That game...is also not very pretty.

If they give you a ghoul hunting job

say no.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Reene posted:

Recently I got into a brief Twitter Thing with some dudes insisting that harassment of women is not a problem in Magic. :rolleye:

Haha. Years ago I remember browsing either the official WotC forums or one of the semi-official places, and there was a thread where a bunch of dudes were wondering why more girls don't play Magic. It was like half divided between guys suggesting the game was too technical and strategic for the female mind and half saying there weren't enough fairies and kittens in the game. I'd go hunting for it but I think I'd find six identical threads in the first page of the google results and get depressed

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Haha. Years ago I remember browsing either the official WotC forums or one of the semi-official places, and there was a thread where a bunch of dudes were wondering why more girls don't play Magic. It was like half divided between guys suggesting the game was too technical and strategic for the female mind and half saying there weren't enough fairies and kittens in the game. I'd go hunting for it but I think I'd find six identical threads in the first page of the google results and get depressed

to be fair, as a dude i think that there aren't enough faeries and kittens in magic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Women are too smart to spend a hundred dollars on paper cards?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elfgames posted:

to be fair, as a dude i think that there aren't enough faeries and kittens in magic.
Eventually they'll do Return to Lorwyn and you'll get your wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

Eventually they'll do Return to Lorwyn and you'll get your wish.

lorwin had creepy bug faeries and was still like 95% kitty deficient springjacks are good though

• Locked thread