Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did anyone watch Forever? That's a medical procedural where the protagonist is an immortal who's been around for hundreds of years, right? Is is any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Did anyone watch Forever? That's a medical procedural where the protagonist is an immortal who's been around for hundreds of years, right? Is is any good?
Pilot was decent but it falls off quickly

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I really liked Forever. It's not really a medical procedural, it's more a mystery / crime procedural where the immortal is an M.E. So basically it's like iZombie except with an immortal in New York City instead of a zombie in the pacific northwest. Now that I think about it, a lot of the story beats are similar. It got killed off after one season but it ends at a point that serves well enough as a series finale.

Snak posted:

There was also frequency, which was last year, I think.

Frequency was technically last year but it was in the fall season, it was only like 12 or 13 episodes so it finished up in the fall.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

raditts posted:

Frequency was technically last year but it was in the fall season, it was only like 12 or 13 episodes so it finished up in the fall.

The last four episodes aired this January.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

raditts posted:

I had no idea it had even premiered until I read that it was cancelled.

It really had one of the softest launches I can remember. I don't think I remember it even being announced until during the Oscars or something like that. Guessing ABC knew it had a turkey on its hands.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Isn't Forever like 20 years old?

I saw a commercial for it the other day too, which is odd. I think CW is promoting it being on CW Seed?

edit: Forever is only 3 years old? What the gently caress am I thinking of?

edit2: Forever Knight. I was thinking of Forever Knight.

Thus concludes this utterly pointless post.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
e:f,b

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's also New Amsterdam which starred Jamie Lannister. He played a dude that was 400 years old.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

There's also New Amsterdam which starred Jamie Lannister. He played a dude that was 400 years old.
Now that's a show people only saw on Hulu

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

whowhatwhere posted:

In terms of whether people's lives get better (10) or worse (1)? Yeah, I think we are

Oh, that's OK then. I was confused because he was asking for a scale of 1-10 for how screwed he is

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

And those are the two I knew about, though I skipped Legends of Tomorrow because I'm kind of fatigued with the comic book remake genre.

The second season of LoT has been a lot of fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Legends S2 has been fun because they've leaned in on their flaws but if he/she's not into the comic shows its still very much one of those.

People who really hate Arrow/Flash right now just really like Legends because its got a bunch of villains making GBS threads on the heroes constantly. Its basically being written for the critical fanbase.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I feel like I'm being baited here, because I have trouble believing season 2 of Legends could be not-poo poo after the festering garbage pile that was the first season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

raditts posted:

I feel like I'm being baited here, because I have trouble believing season 2 of Legends could be not-poo poo after the festering garbage pile that was the first season.

It's BECAUSE season 1 was terrible that season 2 is so fun. They legitimately took the criticisms and said "gently caress it, let's just have fun"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I think the big difference between Legends S1 and S2 is this.

Season 1 has 1 villain and 9 heroes.
Season 2 has 6 villains and 8 heroes.

Its a dramatic tonal shift and people who hate the melodrama or "stupidity" of heroes are loving the fact that the villains have spent all season clowning on them.

Plus in general the show has really sort of acknowledged a ton of its flaws and stupidity and just lampshades them or leans in on them left and right. S2 takes itself a lot less seriously and has more fun with (a) time travel antics and (b) the fact that the Legends are a group of misfits and fuckups.

And the Hawks are gone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

This week's episode had Snart blasting Eobard Thawne in the middle of a rant while yelling "Bored now!" and Nate and Damien Dahrk almost high fiving before remembering that they're enemies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

From what I've read it's still poo poo, just they decided to go so far in on the things that made it poo poo that some people like it for how bad it is now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, they basically embrace being a cheesy bad show, and have cast both willing and able to get in scenery-chewing competitions. I'm surprised the bad guys can find time to get anything done in between smug staring competitions.

E: I mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOGJ81faAV8 is a thing that actually aired. Tells you what you're in for pretty well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 31, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, they basically embrace being a cheesy bad show, and have cast both willing and able to get in scenery-chewing competitions. I'm surprised the bad guys can find time to get anything done in between smug staring competitions.

E: I mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOGJ81faAV8 is a thing that actually aired. Tells you what you're in for pretty well.

Okay show, you got me, I can't stay mad at you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, Rip Hunter goes from being a melodramatic guy fighting against fate to save his to a guy who has a forbidden love with his space ship and really loves to bake cakes.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So if I want to watch one of the 55 time travel shows on now, which one should it be? My head says 12 Monkeys, but my heart says Timeless.

I'm aware that Timeless is cheesy and corny, but maybe that's what I'm looking for? And it has Shawn Ryan and that Kripke guy, can it really be that bad?

Or is there something else I should try? Keep in mind I've already watched Travelers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

12 Monkeys man.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
12 Monkeys has some really good concepts, but it's a slooow start. I would recommend it, but if you aren't digging if after a few episodes, it doesn't get better until the very end of the first season.

I tried to get my roommate into it, and rewatching the first season was rough, and they never got into it. So :shrug:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

12 Monkeys. Timeless is the bad kind of cheese.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm slowly making my way through Fresh Off the Boat and I would just like to mention how much of a joy it is to watch Constance Wu. She's amazing (and gorgeous to boot)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm slowly making my way through Fresh Off the Boat and I would just like to mention how much of a joy it is to watch Constance Wu. She's amazing (and gorgeous to boot)

Only the third season is up on Hulu but I agree, it's a really funny show with an extremely solid cast all around. Ray Wise is such a great comic actor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

I guess I'm so peak-TVed that a lot of these are just flying completely under my radar.

Timeless, Time after Time, Legends of Tomorrow, 12 Monkeys, Making History. And quite recently we had Continuum. Plus the mainstay of Doctor Who.

I read some rumors that a Time Tunnel remake was in the works but that may have ended up being Timeless.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

X-O posted:

12 Monkeys. Timeless is the bad kind of cheese.
If they called it "A Dozen Monkeys" or "Monkeys by the Dozen: Banana Investigation Squad" I would watch it. Still not sure how time travel factors in so I should probably check it out before I publish my fanfic.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SLOSifl posted:

If they called it "A Dozen Monkeys" or "Monkeys by the Dozen: Banana Investigation Squad" I would watch it. Still not sure how time travel factors in so I should probably check it out before I publish my fanfic.

You haven't seen the movie I take it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've only seen Season 1 but 12 Monkeys is the one to watch, for sure. Season 1 is great and I just haven't been able to get my hands on (so to speak) Season 2. Also, someday I'm going to rewatch the movie for the third or fourth time and see if I understand it this time.

I watched the first episode of Timeless and absolutely hated it.

I more or less enjoy Legends of Tomorrow but its not really worth it unless you're locking for something kind of silly or into the whole DC-verse.

Making History is an ok little comedy but its nothing special. Its a weird enough premise to maybe check out. Basically, a stupid college janitor finds a time machine and uses it to get a girlfriend in Colonial times but recruits a history professor when he accidently stops the Revolutionary War. Its dumb and not especially good, but ok enough and weird enough that I keep watching.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked s1 of 12 Monkeys the first time I watched it, but I may have beem drinking. On a rewatch, it was pretty weak. If it can get its hooks in your brain and get you into the ideas, thinking the premis is interesting, yeha, its great. But the actual plots and the characters are pretty meh. This all kind of picks up by the end if the season and then s2 does a lot of much cooler stuff with the characters.

It's kind of like The Expanse in that sense. If you're a time travel junkie, you're gonna love 12 Monkeys.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hulu has another original coming next week.

https://youtu.be/JkS9wjqIsYA

Dimension 404. It looks to be a campy version of Black Mirror?

I'm intrigued enough to check it out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

I liked s1 of 12 Monkeys the first time I watched it, but I may have beem drinking. On a rewatch, it was pretty weak. If it can get its hooks in your brain and get you into the ideas, thinking the premis is interesting, yeha, its great. But the actual plots and the characters are pretty meh. This all kind of picks up by the end if the season and then s2 does a lot of much cooler stuff with the characters.

The second season is a large improvement on the first -- though for a time travel show, it's surprisingly willing to throw logic completely under the bus. It's mostly anchored in character continuity rather than continuity of plot, so that doesn't matter so much. Occasionally you have to really suspend your disbelief though.

On the other hand, the second season has a really good ongoing threat, and the show has some great visual ideas. Some of the supporting characters are pretty good (Jennifer, Jones, Deacon) while most of the leads eventually get to interesting places in the narrative. And the future-set episodes are generally really good.

If you're looking for a time travel show to watch, I'd argue that Continuum is the far better show, though. It had really strong characterisation, great fight choreography, and a really satisfying finale. But I think the show's main strength is how it deliberately sneaks up on the viewer; the first few episodes suggest a very different show from what the show's actually interested in, and a lot of the fun is watching the show tilt from "are they really doing this?" to "my god, they're actually doing this!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've watched most of continuum. It's got some good parts, but I pretty much hate every character on the show.

Travelers was a pretty decent recent one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It has that one black actor that's in every canadian show ever. I like him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

It has that one black actor that's in every canadian show ever. I like him.

Oh you've just Cross'ed the wrong king of Canadian sci-fi.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

Man, you reminded me of Witch Doctor, the comic that's a medical procedural about ghosts and monsters being treated like supernatural "illnesses".

That thing started sucking out loud once they dropped the doctor gimmick.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Couple pages ago, but LOL at you couple of guys who thought some surviving 2007 tv's are representative of "modern technology". I own some stuff from back then too, I think maybe my bedroom tv's and probably my computer monitors, but they are not modern technology. Just because it's still alive does not make it modern.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Oh you've just Cross'ed the wrong king of Canadian sci-fi.

But that who he's talking about...

(Also, I recently found that he's Ulysses from New Vegas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As much as I love Review I don't think it stuck the ending at all. I enjoyed the first two episodes of this season quite a bit but if this last episode was the best ending they could come up with they should have ended it last season. It was flat and completely anti climactic. I understand what they were going for but it just didn't land at all.

And no, I didn't want a happy ending or anything, I think that would have felt unearned after all the poo poo Forest has done. But the ending we got was just a big nothing.

X-O fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 31, 2017

• Locked thread