Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh duh, 'rotate'. I'm exhausted. I will say I seirously regret selling my wii-u to fund my switch, in a way. Why I am ready for the future and I hadn't played the drat thing in over 4 months, I still had a number of games on my account I never really played and I still want to play, like wind waker. I guess that one will have to be an emulator thing for now :(

As for zelda, hopefully they can step back a bit from this and bring back the gating the series became known for. I love that type of gameplay :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Zoran posted:

The Wii U version does not use the controller screen in TV mode.

LOL does that make it like the only game on the console that doesn't?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

While I don't know about that, you still need to dust off your tablet every time a motion control shrine puzzle comes up :v:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

I cannot see how people are able to go back to 3D Zeldas after this one. They're all gross and linear and empty and dull.

This, but with every game ever.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

I had a weird feeling when it was time for me to go to Hateno. I walked through that giant wall, saw some enemies, and felt ill-equipped mentally and in-game to try some fighting. So I hosed off to some nearby mountains. Just trying to mine materials for later buffing. I ended up passing near a sleeping Hinox and, minutes later, stumbled upon Hateno by accident. I can't even imagine what the poo poo route you took that got you to a dragon -AND- a Lynel. Feels like I dodged several bullets.
I saw a sleeping hinox right after the Lynel. I stole the weapons on his chest with my sheikah armor since all my weapons were dead except the new Lynel sword.

Update: I'm now exploring the tower on the way to hateno that I skipped. I met a rock golem. He died super quickly to my Lynel sword after I climbed up his back. Assuming it would have been harder otherwise.

Also one more question: I got my compendium after I freed that dragon or whatever. Can I meet him later to get him in there?

Still having a total blast. After I explore some far away shrines I can see from hateno I'm about to explore the castle cuz I think Zelda had a picture of it so I can jog my memory. Hope I fight something I'm not supposed to

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah the dungeon. It was just way more of a pain than the others for whatever reason, the 64 interior chamber combinations probably didn't help.

Can't say I agree, I thought it was really cool and the rotation gimmick makes perfect sense if you just pay attention to how the level is laid out. It probably required the most spatial reasoning out of the bunch but it was fun and satisfying to figure out. Then again my favorite Zelda dungeons are usually the hard ones that everybody else seems to hate so :shrug:

Bum the Sad posted:

Not even close, dude

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RVWinkle posted:

This, but with every game ever.

Dark Souls is still good in a post-botw world

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

New DLC, too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

As for zelda, hopefully they can step back a bit from this and bring back the gating the series became known for. I love that type of gameplay :(

I mean they make all sorts of Zeldas, and I imagine the handheld type ones will stick with that mode, but I don't see them seriously walking back to "We gave you an awesome world to live in, and now.....walk from A to B, then B to C, then C to D!".

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There's a big continuum between "Give everything at the start" and "Walk down the corridor". You can have multiple ways to get to Major Plot Points while at the same time limiting what can get to where. Hell, with how the game is I bet you could be given a new Power in each beast and not gate anything off. Like you can get one 2-3 beasts right from the start, but different things get opened up depending on when you do them, so you can leave something for later when you can easily get in or try it earlier at a higher difficulty (hmmm I wonder if they used that idea in the game already) via a different method. You can already do a ton of different things to solve the shrines, for instance, so not having one particular method wouldn't hurt you one bit and if you didnt have what you needed, you can always come back just like how they envisioned

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

canoshiz posted:

(solution spoiler) I attached octo balloons to the rock to lift it up to reveal the shrine, which is what I'm guessing is the intended solution and their homage to Tingle. Seems appropriate.

Holy loving poo poo. I've broken so many goddamn weapons on these kinds of rocks in Faron jungle.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Section Z posted:

While I don't know about that, you still need to dust off your tablet every time a motion control shrine puzzle comes up :v:

That's pretty drat funny that they actually stripped the tablet functionality. Considering the game is centered around link carrying a tablet.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

That's pretty drat funny that they actually stripped the tablet functionality. Considering the game is centered around link carrying a tablet.

A Nintendo Switch is a tablet :colbert:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

I was walking from Kakariko to Hateno village, and I think I went the "wrong" way. I ended up walking by a giant minotaur and killed him, but it took literally every weapon strength that I had and I only had his sword and shield afterwards. Then I had to constantly eat all the food i had saved, which was mostly uncooked cuz the free armor the king gave didn't protect me enough after my torch went out. Then I found a giant dragon that I had to shoot eyes off of. Is he story relevant later? I don't really understand why, but I did it and got that shrine, and then eventually floated down and finally got to Hateno village.

Fritzler posted:

I saw a sleeping hinox right after the Lynel. I stole the weapons on his chest with my sheikah armor since all my weapons were dead except the new Lynel sword.

Update: I'm now exploring the tower on the way to hateno that I skipped. I met a rock golem. He died super quickly to my Lynel sword after I climbed up his back. Assuming it would have been harder otherwise.

Also one more question: I got my compendium after I freed that dragon or whatever. Can I meet him later to get him in there?

Still having a total blast. After I explore some far away shrines I can see from hateno I'm about to explore the castle cuz I think Zelda had a picture of it so I can jog my memory. Hope I fight something I'm not supposed to

:allears:

You are absolutely playing this game the right way.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Twilight Princess HD pro-tip: Turn up color saturation by like 20%, it looks sooooo much better.

Just got the master sword. It really is a pretty decent game once you get past the early stuff.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

C-SPAN Caller posted:

A Nintendo Switch is a tablet :colbert:

Dude I have a launch day Wii U and a launch day Switch oh and a launch N64, Game Cube, Wii, DS. I love Nintendo and this game. I think it's funny they neutered the Wii U version to make it not "superior." It's clearly intended for the game pad to be an always on map/menu.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Bum the Sad posted:

Dude I have a launch day Wii U and a launch day Switch oh and a launch N64, Game Cube, Wii, DS. I love Nintendo and this game. I think it's funny they neutered the Wii U version to make it not "superior." It's clearly intended for the game pad to be an always on map/menu.

Yeah I was assuming that would be the set-up before I bought it honestly.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Novum posted:

Yeah I was assuming that would be the set-up before I bought it honestly.

Yeah the slate is supposed to be your game pad. The gimmick doesn't make sense otherwise.

Again. Great game. Love it. Just kinda funny and lovely.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm being sarcastic, but yeah sucks it got cut, although considering they changed development like a year or two ago the final game was too different from then and now to have put them back in, alongside the fact it'd have made less people buy the switch, even if just a small number.

I didn't get a 3ds or wii u and skipped that generation, lol, guess it worked out for me

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Eh, I don't know that that's the case. If the higher ups come to them and say "you also have to make it for this other console that doesn't have a touchscreen" years into development, I can see it being easier to just cut those features so you don't risk loving something up down the line between the versions.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh poo poo they actually did just release a patch to improve the frame-rate in certain areas.

I didn't think they'd actually do it. At least not so soon.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh I can use stasis on monsters :downs:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there like a changelog or something now? I've updated the game at least twice since release, and the one I just downloaded seemed kinda big. What did they update/patch?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Can't say I agree, I thought it was really cool and the rotation gimmick makes perfect sense if you just pay attention to how the level is laid out. It probably required the most spatial reasoning out of the bunch but it was fun and satisfying to figure out. Then again my favorite Zelda dungeons are usually the hard ones that everybody else seems to hate so :shrug:

It makes sense, I guess I just had a horrible time with getting around in there for whatever reason. I'm totally cool with hard dungeons, I guess it just just hit me the wrong way.

What hits me in the right way, however, is hearty radishes and single pieces of meat: full recovery plus an extra couple hearts is so awesome and just gets better the more shrines you beat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh I can use stasis on monsters :downs:

Only after you got Stasis+.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Speaking of hard dungeons, lake-bed temple consistently breaks my brain harder than any other dungeon in the series. Save for maybe Stone Tower.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh poo poo they actually did just release a patch to improve the frame-rate in certain areas.

I didn't think they'd actually do it. At least not so soon.

Supposedly it fixes the issue where spotty wifi connection would cause the framerate to crap out. Ostensibly areas like Korok Village and situations like fighting a lynel in a grassy plain during a storm would still cause the frames to stutter

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And like seriously I'm never going to be able to replay like OoT or Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. MAYBE Majora's Mask because the story and setting are still super good but that's kind of a stretch

Hell I don't think I'll play an open world game again until we get like a BoTW Gaiden or something like that. Shame, a month ago Dawn Hero Zorizon looked pretty good now it looks like garbage

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is a shrine sunk into the ground on the south side of the lake that the bird is flying over. Anyone know how the hell im supposed to get to it?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Horizon is awesome even in a post BotW world. You're missing out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Norns posted:

Do I get a cool rear end glider that lets me go anywhere without fear and is the world enormous with absolutely no limitations except those imposed by the very basic concept of the physical limits of the game's universe filled to the brim with nooks and crannies that yield rewards that are useful throughout the entire game or simply cool vistas or settings and that encourage exploration in an organic and interesting way?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Do I get a cool rear end glider that lets me go anywhere without fear and is the world enormous with absolutely no limitations except those imposed by the very basic concept of the physical limits of the game's universe filled to the brim with nooks and crannies that yield rewards that are useful throughout the entire game or simply cool vistas or settings and that encourage exploration in an organic and interesting way?

it's possible for both games to be good for different reasons you giant dork :rolleye:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

it's possible for both games to be good for different reasons you giant dork :rolleye:

Not in a post zelda botw world my friend

No but in all seriousness I'll probably check out Horizon but first I gotta find all these shrines man

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Hell I don't think I'll play an open world game again until we get like a BoTW Gaiden or something like that. Shame, a month ago Dawn Hero Zorizon looked pretty good now it looks like garbage

Lol your loss. I'm not sure what the hell would make it seem like garbage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Lol your loss. I'm not sure what the hell would make it seem like garbage.

Hyperbole

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
What makes the absolute best Hasty Elixirs? So far I've been using 4 Hot-Footed Frogs and a monster part and those are pretty much always a lvl 3 haste bonus. What is the best recipe for a lvl 3 haste bonus and with the longest buff duration?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Horizon and Zelda are the two most enjoyable open world games I've ever played by a long shot. I'd have trouble picking a favorite.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

It pisses me off korok forest no longer lags because that legit softened finding the master sword for me with how bad the frame rate was, and I can't ever get that first discovery moment back. At least I don't hate coming here now that it drops to 24 fps at worst.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

When I got to the final area of the DLC last night my brain went "oh this would be fun to shield surf on" before I remembered what game I was playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Norns posted:

Can I play Horizon while I take a poo poo?