Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bremen posted:

The opposite, actually; since the ad maker is paying for everyone who looks at the ad but only getting money for those who buy the product, they'd ironically want to make an ad that only gets the attention of someone who would buy the product. I have no idea how you'd do that, but trying to make an ad that everyone will be tricked into looking at would end up costing you more.

Right but the game dev will be rewarded for people looking at the ad instead of playing the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Right but the game dev will be rewarded for people looking at the ad instead of playing the game

Hey, I bet you'd be more likely to look if it had neon flashing colors!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bremen posted:

The opposite, actually; since the ad maker is paying for everyone who looks at the ad but only getting money for those who buy the product, they'd ironically want to make an ad that only gets the attention of someone who would buy the product. I have no idea how you'd do that, but trying to make an ad that everyone will be tricked into looking at would end up costing you more.

There are plenty of obnoxious ads out on the internet and they wouldn't be buying them if there wasn't a return on the investment.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If I can punch a monkey to win a prize in a VR ad then okay

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The future is here and it is horrible.

Also something something about how HTC seems committed to beating Oculus to market for every milestone no matter how terrible.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Bremen posted:

That's not how advertising works. You WANT people to look so they remember it for later and/or talk about it. Most won't.

Even when you get into REALLY specific list-based direct marketing* you're looking at a 2% response rate (as in expressing interest, not buying) being high-performing, depending on the industry.

Look at it this way, though: marketing through Vive allows the provider to make a lot of assumptions about who you are. They know you're passably tech savvy, you have a gaming rig, you likely have a decent amount of disposable income (or you're close to someone who does), and you're apt to be an early adopter/make impulsive purchases. The list of assumptions goes on from there, but yeah, this isn't like advertising in the app store -- it's much more focused.

*aka we bought your info from a third party who knows you're in the market for this service/product based on a staggeringly weird amount of data crunching and behavioral analysis. Like Target predicting pregnancies.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 31, 2017

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kraven Moorhed posted:

That's not how advertising works. You WANT people to look so they remember it for later and/or talk about it. Most won't.

Even when you get into REALLY specific list-based direct marketing* you're looking at a 2% response rate (as in expressing interest, not buying) being high-performing, depending on the industry.

Look at it this way, though: marketing through Vive allows the provider to make a lot of assumptions about who you are. They know you're passably tech savvy, you have a gaming rig, you likely have a decent amount of disposable income (or you're close to someone who does), and you're apt to be an early adopter/make impulsive purchases. The list of assumptions goes on from there, but yeah, this isn't like advertising in the app store -- it's much more focused.

*aka we bought your info from a third party who knows you're in the market for this service/product based on a staggeringly weird amount of data crunching and behavioral analysis. Like Target predicting pregnancies.

Yes, but you're missing the fact that you're only paying advertising fees for people who actually look at the ad. If you had a choice between an ad with giant flashing lights and a woman in a bikini, that 60% of people looked at but only .5% actually bought your product, and an informative ad that appealed to your target market which only 10% of people looked at but 2% went on to buy your product, the correct approach would be to use the second ad and put it in 6 times as many games.

What you're saying is true for conventional advertising when you're paying a rate based on how many people will be exposed to the ad.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Seems like we get one of these stories every few years about how they've come up with a new way to put ads in games, but it never even happens. I think the upcoming foveated rendering makes it easy for HTC to tell advertisers they can tell them if users actually look at the ad, which nothing else can do yet. In reality, it will probably just be used in a few apps.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sintax posted:

Seems like we get one of these stories every few years about how they've come up with a new way to put ads in games, but it never even happens. I think the upcoming foveated rendering makes it easy for HTC to tell advertisers they can tell them if users actually look at the ad, which nothing else can do yet. In reality, it will probably just be used in a few apps.

I'm waiting for the horror game where the monsters can only kill you if you're looking at them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bremen posted:

I'm waiting for the horror game where the monsters can only kill you if you're looking at them.

It should be the opposite, like Boo in Super Mario.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bremen posted:

Huh, I thought that was Dreadhalls' thing. I wouldn't know first hand because fuuuuuck that game

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Bremen posted:

Not VR, but that was Soma's gimmick and it worked really well.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

It should be the opposite, like Boo in Super Mario.

Nope. It's much scarier if you know they're there but are trying not to look at them. Especially with eye tracking.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Chronos had that whole "monsters only move when not looking at them" thing and it was creepy as poo poo in VR.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Narcosis is pretty neat in VR but a sit down experience with a controller (or mouse and keyboard) is very much a take-you-out-of-immersion thing. I want to move around guys not be shackled to a chair.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
MCDONALD'S

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Everyone bitched about Microsoft doing ad poo poo with that patent even though it was filed by Sony lmao

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

KakerMix posted:

Narcosis is pretty neat in VR but a sit down experience with a controller (or mouse and keyboard) is very much a take-you-out-of-immersion thing. I want to move around guys not be shackled to a chair.

I know this is going to sound like "VR is the wave of the future MAN!" but what is even the point of releasing a first person VR game that's chair and controller based?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

8one6 posted:

I know this is going to sound like "VR is the wave of the future MAN!" but what is even the point of releasing a first person VR game that's chair and controller based?

I dont mind siting down, personally.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

8one6 posted:

It is a non-VR game too so I bet it's more 'lets put VR on this also' and it's worse in VR because of it but probably will be more well loved, played and profitable because it isn't just a VR game. Compromises you know?

Poetic Justice posted:

I thought I didn't either but in something like The Lab I'd flinch and dodge things reflexively because that's how much I bought into the illusion. Narcosis should be just as good, the graphics and performance are great, the design and story is pretty good, voice acting and all that. But sitting down in my chair, with a controller in hand, and the cable slightly pushing into the headset because of where the back of my chair is just takes me out just enough that things that should genuinely frighten me just make me go 'eh' and be real passive on it. Just like when I had my DK2 I'd just reach out with my hands and then go 'oh, right'.
This could be the game too, sometimes you just don't connect with a game for reasons that you can't articulate.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Bremen posted:

Yes, but you're missing the fact that you're only paying advertising fees for people who actually look at the ad.

...poo poo. Yeah, went back and took a second look and that's exactly what's going on. Wonder how that's going to pan out between the devs and the providers -- probably won't be advantageous for small devs in the end, but here's to hoping. :smith:

Poetic Justice posted:

For experiences that mirror your physical orientation like Elite, sure. But the motion tracking just makes for more physically intuitive gameplay as a whole, and having an obvious mismatch between your sad meatspace body and peerless videogame avatar just nukes verisimilitude. To each their own, but it seems like tossing away one of the biggest advantages of the medium. Just kinda gamifies things a bit too much when your hardware is trying so hard to do the opposite.

For instance, I got a poet friend of mine who's usually a bit of a luddite-by-choice to try a few VR things. She used the physical space of the room right out the gate and adapted to it far more quickly than my other friends who play video games regularly. Grabbed the sun in Google Earth on her own, barreled through Accounting, etc. She just tried poo poo that seemed like it should work, and whaddya know? It did!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

Viveport gets worse and worse

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Zsinjeh posted:

Unknown side-effect of VR: Thanks to soundboxing and some really well made tracks I now LOVE Taylor Swift - Shake it Off and apparently a genre called 'Nightcore'

lol gently caress you, I bought soundboxing soley based on this post and just watched my wife spend an hour punching to Avril Lavigne and Taylor

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Bum the Sad posted:

lol gently caress you, I bought soundboxing soley based on this post and just watched my wife spend an hour punching to Avril Lavigne and Taylor

Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate :smug:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Ads on my 1000$ device? Welp

The problem with integrated ads in games is quality control. The ads have to be good enough to look good in the game world. They should be transformable enough so that they can be projected onto billboards without looking like a screen. They also need to be content filtered so you don't get an ad on Times Square that would never make it there.

Like, real ads can enhance immersion, but done wrong they will just do the opposite.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
viveport isn't steamvr hth

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The only in game advertising I've seen to date was the ads in BF2142 back in 2006. It was such a flop that if you search "bf2142 ads" people considered it a newsworthy event when a new set of ads was released three years later in 2009.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Ads on my 1000$ device? Welp
I mean, I'm assuming you have lots of expensive devices that show you ads, I don't get pissed off at Samsung when I see a commercial on my TV.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I use ublock origin, I haven't seen any ads in years. It owns.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

homeless snail posted:

I mean, I'm assuming you have lots of expensive devices that show you ads, I don't get pissed off at Samsung when I see a commercial on my TV.

Well, my TV manufacturer isn't trying to track my behavior for ads and whatnot, but you make a fair point. I guess it comes down to Netflix (Paid Games) vs lovely Television (F2P)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Giant Cop came out today! Its pretty fun, living up to the preview so far. I was a little on the fence on buying it since there were no published reviews, no twitch or youtube streams etc but I decided to make the jump and streamed the first 20 minutes. This probably makes my top 5 for VR games so far. Very detailed scenes/environments, big city, cool art direction, funny story, great item/gameplay interaction elements and it feels fairly polished. I even don't mind the node teleportation, but there wouldn't be anything added by joystick free-movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIeE5mMVfM

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The commercial release of that OpenVRDesktopwhatever app comes out today, its called OVRDrop now. Sounds like its gonna be substantially better and easier to use than the old version. http://store.steampowered.com/app/586210

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Downward Spiral's prologue is out and looks very cool in terms of aesthetic and spacey-ness, I'm going to give it a shot: http://www.roadtovr.com/downward-spiral-prologue-review/

Also a dev from Epic said they're pushing the 360 update to Robo Recall in the next couple of days.

rage-saq posted:

Giant Cop came out today! Its pretty fun, living up to the preview so far. I was a little on the fence on buying it since there were no published reviews, no twitch or youtube streams etc but I decided to make the jump and streamed the first 20 minutes. This probably makes my top 5 for VR games so far. Very detailed scenes/environments, big city, cool art direction, funny story, great item/gameplay interaction elements and it feels fairly polished. I even don't mind the node teleportation, but there wouldn't be anything added by joystick free-movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIeE5mMVfM
Nice. Looks fun!

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Family's coming over to check out the Vive tomorrow, so I got Soundboxing. Holy poo poo, my arms. My poor arms.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

SEKCobra posted:

Well, my TV manufacturer isn't trying to track my behavior for ads and whatnot, but you make a fair point. I guess it comes down to Netflix (Paid Games) vs lovely Television (F2P)

Who makes your TV?
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wired.com/2017/02/smart-tv-spying-vizio-settlement/amp/

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Does anyone know if Giant Cop works with Revive?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Adblocker on my DD-WRT loaded Router blocks out 95% of ads on anything in my network. Also pretty much gives you Spotify/Google Play Premium since it blocks those ads too lol.

Though, going by the new Final Fantasy game that has things like Cup-o-noodles ads baked into it, could be a non lovely way to put ads into games that isn't as terrible as just forcing some stupid popup or selling out the entire landscape like in NFS Underground 2.

The problem it seems so many marketers have is figuring out how to make ads that are "interesting". Annoying your target market isn't the goal, but most of the time ends up being the outcome. Yet outside of the few that are actually fun to watch during the super bowl, or random State Farm ads (I still love their Radio one. Avoid bad weather "Rains a commin". Avoid bad drivers "I'm a commin!)

So we will see how terrible or actually useful they can make it down the line I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't mind subtle ads. Have the character drive a Ford Mustang and drink a Coke with the label facing out. I don't really care. Just don't have annoying poo poo that takes me away from the game.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone feeling some Pavlov/Serious Sam TFE/BAM this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I don't mind subtle ads. Have the character drive a Ford Mustang and drink a Coke with the label facing out. I don't really care. Just don't have annoying poo poo that takes me away from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjurKG9n0w0