Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

That's cool that they're taking card names from RoboRosewater now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

The interesting this is that we already have two different hosers.

They aren't really hosing anything relevant in Standard but still.

Maybe Amonkhet will be "Answers: the block"?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jabor posted:

Going back to mindcensor for a bit, remember that this set was originally planned to not be in the same standard as BFZ. So it's totally possible that it originally had fetchlands and mindcensor was supposed to be a foil to those.

If we go by Rosewater's word -- iirc -- when the MM17 fetches were shown he denied they were ever planned for AKH.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My guess is that Renewed Faith is uncommon because of the trigger on being cycled and that all the commons are just vanilla cycling cards with no trigger.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They may have just wanted to do other things with the white common slot. A lot of the lower rarity stuff is just adjustments for limited.

510rems
Mar 26, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

That's cool that they're taking card names from RoboRosewater now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpopard

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This pattern was my favorite part of Theros, actually.

"Oh poo poo Hundred Handed One was a thing!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I can't believe Egypt took names from roborosewater.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see why magic needs cat snakes since ferret is already a supportred creature type :colbert:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't see why magic needs cat snakes since ferret is already a supportred creature type :colbert:

Joven's Catsnakes.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Holy poo poo this is a million times better than what WotC shat out

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AceClown posted:

And I think it's hideous.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entropic posted:

lol that Renewed Faith is an uncommon. Looks completely unplayable unless there's some real good build-arounds that care about cycling. (fingers crossed that there are)

Renewed Faith was playable last time it was in Standard, even in non-Slide/Rift decks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AceClown posted:

I want these.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

????

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gideon's card will be named Gideon of the Trials

I wonder if wizards will print a 5/5 indestructible mummy token

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Renewed Faith was playable last time it was in Standard, even in non-Slide/Rift decks.

Playable, yes. Uncommon pickable? Will depend on the rest of the set.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Playable, yes. Uncommon pickable? Will depend on the rest of the set.

Oh, limited! With no build-arounds I'd guess it goes 5-7th? Depends on the speed of the format, sometimes there will be nothing better to do on turn 2.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Oh, limited! With no build-arounds I'd guess it goes 5-7th? Depends on the speed of the format, sometimes there will be nothing better to do on turn 2.

Without build arounds it's an instant speed Implement of Improvement that cannot be split across turns.

Again, way too early to figure out where it goes. I wouldn't be eager to draft it but I wouldn't begrudge it as a 23rd card.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I'm probably overvaluing it because in Onslaught block there were no 2 drops.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Serpopard is the most boring card I've seen in a minute.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AceClown posted:

I like the outer black border with the hieroglyphs (would look amazing in foil), but the rest of it is yawn-worthy. But at least it's legible and easy to parse at a glance.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

Let's face it, Jace is going to be on every counterspell they print from now until forever.

I still like the edition from Jace vs. Chandra the most.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

AceClown posted:

Are the people who are jumping to "they look like Yu-Gi-Oh/Ancient Mew" somehow convinced this is less like Ancient Mew?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Star Man posted:

I still like the edition from Jace vs. Chandra the most.

I mean at least that one has the plus of having nice art.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

I like the outer black border with the hieroglyphs (would look amazing in foil), but the rest of it is yawn-worthy. But at least it's legible and easy to parse at a glance.
Yeah, that border is great.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Are the people who are jumping to "they look like Yu-Gi-Oh/Ancient Mew" somehow convinced this is less like Ancient Mew?

"wow the name is readable!!!!!!!"

*ignores that textbox is unreadable*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
text very much needs to be white with black border, also comic sans

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Clockwork posted:

People think that if it's a card with anything Egyptian on it, it's a riff on YuGiOh. The illustration could have a character that looks exactly like Charlton Heston and people will think it's a YuGiOh ripoff.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Well clearly only Yugioh could have thought of combining Ancient Egypt and card games.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Star Man posted:

People think that if it's a card with anything Egyptian on it, it's a riff on YuGiOh. The illustration could have a character that looks exactly like Charlton Heston and people will think it's a YuGiOh ripoff.

Every reference in the world belongs to Yu-Gi-Oh.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

Yeah, it's not like Google image search for any of the invocations returns Yu-Gi-Oh cards. That'd be ridiculous.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

I like the outer black border with the hieroglyphs (would look amazing in foil), but the rest of it is yawn-worthy.
:agreed: The border looks nicer but I'm glad WOTC decided to be bold on the layout since otherwise it would've looked like yet-another-foil TM.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Star Man posted:

Charlton Heston in Ten Commandments? Or Ben-Hur if you squint? Most famous scene in Planet of the Apes is deserty and has Ozymandias vibes.

Huh Charlton Heston IS a yugioh ripoff.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pontius Pilate posted:

Charlton Heston in Ten Commandments? Or Ben-Hur if you squint? Most famous scene in Planet of the Apes is deserty and has Ozymandias vibes.

Yeah, randomly picking the dude who most famously played Moses is a weird choice for that one

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ten Commandments. Not that most people would recognize a picture of him because he's dead and irrelevant. But like I said, if it's a trading card and there's anything Egyptian on it, people make cracks about if being a YuGiOh card and jokes almost as old as Heston continue to live on.

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, randomly picking the dude who most famously played Moses is a weird choice for that one

I was trying to think of a famous movie that's set in Egypt and that's what came to mind :saddowns:

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 31, 2017

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I would infinitely rather be able to read the name of an iconic card than its text

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

I was trying to think of a famous movie that's set in Egypt and that's what came to mind :saddowns:

i thought it was pretty clear what you were going for but i guess not

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Or its mana cost. Everything I use to shortcut identifying a card is illegible on the invocations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DangerDongs posted:

I think I finally cracked Abzan in Standard by combining G/W tokens and Snake. Turn 3 Gideons are pretty mean. My only complaint is lack of removal for Planeswalkers. The Delirium theme is kind of weak, but the deck hits it a lot if the game goes long; fortunately the only pay off is the traverses, and postboard Ishkanah.
I have not tried Avacyn yet.
The deck is really fun to play and does well against control, and Mardu. Regular G/B is the hardest match up.

4x Winding Constrictor
4x Tireless Tracker
3x Servant of the Conduit
3x Walking Ballista
2x Rishkar, Peema Renegade
1x Green HULK
1x Noxious Gearhulk

4x Gideon
2x Little Nissa
1x Ob
1x Sorin

3x Fatal Push
3x Grasp of Darkness
1x Ruinous Path

3x Traverse the Ulvenwald
4x Blooming Marsh
3x Concealed courtyard
3x Shambling Vent
3x Hissing Quagmire
4x Forest
3x Swamp
2x Plains
2x Evolving Wilds

SIDEBOARD
2x Gonti
2x Kalitas
2x Painful Truths
2x Natural Obsolesence
2x Fumigate
1x Ishkanah
4x Transgress the Mind

Saw this earlier today and took a crack at Abzan, and here's what I came up with for an Aggro list:

4 Thraben Inspector
4 Winding Constrictor
4 Servant of the Conduit
3 Solemn Recruit
4 Tireless Tracker
3 Verdurous Gearhulk
3 Walking Ballista

4 Attune with Aether
4 Fatal Push
3 Gideon

4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Aether Hub
6 Plains
5 Forest
1 Swamp

I'd run a 4th Gideon if I had a 4th. For a SB I could see Ruinous Path, To the Slaughter, Fragmentize.

I hosed with Solemn Recruit in a WB list last week and found it to be Good, and with the synergy of SR + snake + clues, could see it popping off and taking over a board before Ballista or Gearhulk show up.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 31, 2017

• Locked thread