Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I used to sneak out of bed in the mornings before my parents were awake to watch Transformers and GoBots
:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I used to sneak out of bed in the mornings before my parents were awake to watch Pokemon
:corsair:

fixed. for whatever reason it aired at 6:30 every weekday morning which is not the ideal time for a show for children

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember becoming self aware just as Transformers and Crash Dummies were taken off shelves in their original runs and the eternal disappointment of never getting them.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I can't even remember what cartoons I would get up early to watch since the only time I had cable was if I stayed the weekend at my grandparents place. I do know that 10am was the poo poo in 1997 because the Godzilla and MIB series were back to back on itv (before it became Global) :cool:

Say what you want about the Godzilla movie but the cartoon was actually good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
MOTHA FUCKIN BEAST WAAAAAARS

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Despicable Me 3 looks great

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Macaluso posted:

MOTHA FUCKIN BEAST WAAAAAARS
Holy poo poo does it look awful and holy poo poo did I still enjoy it when I watched it again a few years ago.

Dinobot died for our sins. He was the true hero.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, the Steven Universe episode that was supposed to be on last week that was since taken out of the schedule for airing at some future date has shown up on YouTube. It's been filmed off of a TV by some 10yo with his phone's camera. There's no channel watermarks on it, and everyone is wondering where it's come from. :iiam:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kid of one of the show's animators/producers, maybe? :shrug:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I can't take any negative reviews of Boss Baby seriously, it just feels like backlash from an over aggresive ad campaign. Can someone here bite the bullet and give me a review i can trust

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I can't take any negative reviews of Boss Baby seriously, it just feels like backlash from an over aggresive ad campaign. Can someone here bite the bullet and give me a review i can trust

https://twitter.com/natazilla/status/847704818672050177

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
But Sausage Party was so transgressive!!! Swearing! Racism! Sex! In a cartoon movie?!? *record scratch, bulldog tilts head to the side*

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
the first time I watched sausage party it was novel and I was pleased to see R-rated animation succeed, even if it was in that package, but I became increasingly frustrated by its frequent terribleness.

the second time, I barely managed to even sit through it and my friends could see through the cracks immediately. bad.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Being the animal that tilts their head to the side after a record scratch in a movie is like, my dream job

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Guys, I've been practicing. Watch this...

*puts paw over nose*

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

So, the Steven Universe episode that was supposed to be on last week that was since taken out of the schedule for airing at some future date has shown up on YouTube. It's been filmed off of a TV by some 10yo with his phone's camera. There's no channel watermarks on it, and everyone is wondering where it's come from. :iiam:

Regalingualius posted:

Kid of one of the show's animators/producers, maybe? :shrug:

Apparently according to the kid it was on an on demand service (I think the kid's in Canada?)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Having seen Sausage Party (it took me two sittings to get through the whole thing) and then seen the reviews it got, I can only conclude that it was so incomprehensibly bad as to literally break the minds of the critics who viewed it. Like, Sam Neill at the end of In the Mouth of Madness broken.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I swear to god reviewers don't know how to review animation movies, they seem to hold them to completely different standards than live-action movies.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phylodox posted:

Having seen Sausage Party (it took me two sittings to get through the whole thing) and then seen the reviews it got, I can only conclude that it was so incomprehensibly bad as to literally break the minds of the critics who viewed it. Like, Sam Neill at the end of In the Mouth of Madness broken.

"Maybe if I pretend I like it, they'll let me leave...

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Robindaybird posted:

I swear to god reviewers don't know how to review animation movies, they seem to hold them to completely different standards than live-action movies.

It's the same standard, it's just that most reviewers, by definition, are reviewing a product and 'experience', and are not usually very good at/used to appraising the formal qualities of filmmaking or narrative at a critical level. That Sausage Party is merely mediocre is taken implicitly as a high point. That's it's an inferior variation of much more exceptionally trashy movies like Bee Movie, Antz, and The Spongebob Squarepants Movie is indistinguishable from, say, DreamWorks or Blue Sky making 'inferior Pixar' movies. The standard is the hearsay, perceived popular experience of particular modes of entertainment, not necessarily whether the film itself is remarkable. If reviewers were running around like chickens with their heads cut off saying Sausage Party is the worst scandal upon mainstream American animation ever, they would be using the same standard, and still wrong.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

whoa now what's trashy about Antz? I enjoyed it more than A Bug's Life

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Spongebib Squarepants movie isn't trashy though

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Aces High posted:

whoa now what's trashy about Antz? I enjoyed it more than A Bug's Life

I didn't say it was unenjoyable, I said it was trashy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu14oUfkN1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJBYN27qZ7Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEHgb0n7TFw

A Bug's Life is only similar in a reductionist sense: It's a family animated movie about anthropomorphic ants, with an eccentric worker and princess at the romantic center, released in 1998. But in Antz, instead of Dave Foley as a friendly blue inventor, the protagonist is a nebbish loser with a shrunken, brown body and the voice of Woody Allen.

In A Bug's Life, Flik goes on a journey to find great warriors to defend his colony, and in a humorous misunderstanding, brings back circus performers. There is a big action sequence, but no one is seriously injured or killed. In Antz, Z-4195 "Z" becomes a soldier for the opportunity to see the princess, and ends up on a suicide mission reminiscent of Starship Troopers. He is the only survivor.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Spongebib Squarepants movie isn't trashy though

No, it is. It is a film which constantly reminds you that it's just a film, that its hero is a useful idiot who doesn't learn anything, that the rulers and bosses of its world are corrupt or even mad with power, David Hasselhoff is a cyborg. That's primo trash.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

This seems to be a recent development in American TV. Like the aforementioned Steven Universe-style bombs (new one's been leaked, btw. lol) and the half-season bullshit that stations like AMC have started. It used to be you'd know new episodes of [x] were due based on the season and the channel would advertise the hell out of it beforehand. Adventure Time had a bomb in January? I think? And I found out halfway through by seeing a post on the official concept art Tumblr. I haaate the bomb thing. I keep missing poo poo.

Also, hey there, 90's children! I, too, got up on Sundays at 5 AM to watch Dragon Ball on that weird channel.
:unsmith:

I think it may have to do with merchandising or something in the wake of piracy. Or it could just be a safe way to budget for shows.
Like, you play part of the season and then spend the next five months selling goofy poo poo and then when sales trickle you show the other half and then sell more poo poo and then sell the bluray and then whatever. :shrug:

Whereas if you just blew your whole load over a few months and then waited another year for poo poo, people wouldn't be as amped to buy merchandise. I don't know I am dumb.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drifter posted:

I think it may have to do with merchandising or something in the wake of piracy. Or it could just be a safe way to budget for shows.
Like, you play part of the season and then spend the next five months selling goofy poo poo and then when sales trickle you show the other half and then sell more poo poo and then sell the bluray and then whatever. :shrug:

Whereas if you just blew your whole load over a few months and then waited another year for poo poo, people wouldn't be as amped to buy merchandise. I don't know I am dumb.

I have no idea, really. I just know I always miss new episodes unless I'm following one of the content creator's social media accounts. Like I didn't really watch Gravity Falls, but I knew all about its scheduling inconsistency because that poo poo was legendary.
I guess television's a dying format and programmers are treating it as such?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just want more Rick and MOrty and Gravity Falls they should have finished the next seasons by now. Get ON IT!!!!!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Isn't Rick and Morty done in a largely improv-style - that I can understand the stretches between episodes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"improv" and "animated" sounds like absolute hell to manage

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Whose Lineart Is It Anyway?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lego Batman is finally out here, I saw it last night!

Wow, it was hilarious. From the very first seconds where Will Arnett starts narrating the intro*, I was on board. I'm not even really a Batman fan (the friend I went with was though) but I loved all the little jokes about the history of the character.

Gonna go again with my boyfriend next week.

*I really hope the bluray/DVD has a full in-character audio commentary that continues along this theme.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"improv" and "animated" sounds like absolute hell to manage

from my understanding, they have a skeleton of a plot outline, and let the actors basically cut loose and then animate the parts they liked.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Robindaybird posted:

Isn't Rick and Morty done in a largely improv-style - that I can understand the stretches between episodes.

Rick and Morty doesn't really have long stretches between episodes though, just between seasons

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, yeah, Rick and Morty usually has rails on the plotline with only some minor ad-libbing, but both seasons so far have had an episode that was almost nothing but ad-libbing for half of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba9k5SWwE38

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
yes, Rick & Morty's ad-libbing is pretty much kept to one episode per season so far

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The second Cable-TV episode of Rick and Morty was entirely ad-libbed, and it sucked. Even Justin Roiland said people shouldn't get excited over that episode.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, I hope it doesn't have to become a regular thing just because they've done it twice now

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Lego Batman is finally out here, I saw it last night!

Wow, it was hilarious. From the very first seconds where Will Arnett starts narrating the intro*, I was on board. I'm not even really a Batman fan (the friend I went with was though) but I loved all the little jokes about the history of the character.

Gonna go again with my boyfriend next week.

*I really hope the bluray/DVD has a full in-character audio commentary that continues along this theme.

IMO it is the best Batman film to date. Also, although of course this would be the case given how toyetic Legos inherently are, it has hands-down the coolest designs for Batmobiles and Batjets.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/04/01/simba-will-be-gay-in-upcoming-live-action-lion-king-remake-disney-confirms/

Simba, more like Queermba

yeah, I know :v:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

This has to be some sort of complex plot to do something evil. It can't be legitimately true.

Also, do not Google Image search 'gay Simba' at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
When you're at home though, go hog wild :getin: