Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timby posted:

Because Drexler is not a good designer. He's a fan of Gabe Koerner's hideous concept for a rebooted 1701:

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the surface greebling, but at least he kept the classic proportions. The JJPrise looks nice in extreme close-up, but the overall silhouette and arrangement are just... off, especially around the secondary hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Powered Descent posted:

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the surface greebling, but at least he kept the classic proportions. The JJPrise looks nice in extreme close-up, but the overall silhouette and arrangement are just... off, especially around the secondary hull.

They tweaked the design to be much more aesthetically pleasing in Beyond, which makes it kind of frustrating that they just blew it up right away after they fixed a lot of problems. Then replaced it with an Enterprise-A that looks practically the same.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

The big problem with the JJprise is that the neck connection to the secondary hull is way, way too far back, giving it a goofy underbite. Move it forward and it's perfect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Timby posted:

Because Drexler is not a good designer. He's a fan of Gabe Koerner's hideous concept for a rebooted 1701:

I think this would be a lot better with different paint and/or lighting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The problem with the JJprize is that the engines are stupid looking and way too big.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

The problem with the JJprize is that the engines are stupid looking and way too big.

See, I love the giant gently caress-off engines. They're propelling a ship at unbelievable speeds over unbelievable distances, they should look like giant monstrosities.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The best ships are smooth and matte light-grey.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Timby posted:

The big problem with the JJprise is that the neck connection to the secondary hull is way, way too far back, giving it a goofy underbite. Move it forward and it's perfect.

And with that one change I suddenly like the design a whole lot more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't really care about the JJprise design since the ship was never really fully realized as a character and really only served purpose to be punked by the big bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

And with that one change I suddenly like the design a whole lot more.

Two minutes in Photoshop. :v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Timby posted:

Two minutes in Photoshop. :v:

Now do the film!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I'd have liked it to be the JJPrise.

The JJverse is an alternate universe :v:

Timby posted:

See, I love the giant gently caress-off engines. They're propelling a ship at unbelievable speeds over unbelievable distances, they should look like giant monstrosities.

And yet the scientifically derived Best Ship is the Connie Refit :raise:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Best Non-Fed ship with the Klingon Bird of Prey.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was always a Warbird guy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

Best Non-Fed ship with the TOS Romulan Klingon Bird of Prey.

FTFY. Honorable mention goes to the TNG Romulan Warbird.

Never been a huge fan of the post-TOS Klingon ships. The designs are fine, but they insisted on painting them all in various shades of green and teal and it just looks bad. Especially the 1980's miami edition Vorchas.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Never been a huge fan of the post-TOS Klingon ships. The designs are fine, but they insisted on painting them all in various shades of green and teal and it just looks bad. Especially the 1980's miami edition Vorchas.

The post-TOS Klingon ship design language was permanently hosed by Nilo Rodis, who designed the Bird of Prey as a Romulan ship (as Star Trek III was originally written, Kruge and his crew had stolen it). When the script was changed so that they were just Klingons doing Klingon things in a Klingon ship, Rodis just shrugged and crossed out "Romulan" and replaced it with "Klingon Bird of Prey."

ILM getting full control over the starship designs beginning with TSFS was the worst goddamn thing (Nimoy not giving a poo poo about design didn't help, of course).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Ah, yeah, that was done back when BSG was still big.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Orv posted:

I was always a Warbird guy.

Definitely. Such a sexy design. That two-hulled thing coming together to a big ominous beak... mmm... I love the idea of just being able to pretty much uncloak SURROUNDING a smaller ship, like what the gently caress are they gonna do with that situation?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm a big fan of The Voyager. The way it just transforms when it's going to warp was such a brilliant idea by an obviously handsome executive.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even in jest some things are just too far.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I'm a big fan of The Voyager. The way it just transforms when it's going to warp was such a brilliant idea by an obviously handsome executive.

It's the most 90's thing about the ship and the show was so bland it just sort of fades into the background

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I remember I had the Voyager micro-machine and the nacelles snapped on to the body so you could move them up and down. In practice, they just got loose and you ended up with castrated Voyager.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Definitely. Such a sexy design. That two-hulled thing coming together to a big ominous beak... mmm... I love the idea of just being able to pretty much uncloak SURROUNDING a smaller ship, like what the gently caress are they gonna do with that situation?
Shoot your way out or go to warp? Possibly after informing your home government that the Romulans have declared war on your people. I have this feeling like the Romulans actually suck but have been able to manage their reputation so they SEEM like badasses.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Brawnfire posted:

I remember I had the Voyager micro-machine and the nacelles snapped on to the body so you could move them up and down. In practice, they just got loose and you ended up with castrated Voyager.

Seems appropriate, that's basically what happened to the plot

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nessus posted:

Shoot your way out or go to warp? Possibly after informing your home government that the Romulans have declared war on your people. I have this feeling like the Romulans actually suck but have been able to manage their reputation so they SEEM like badasses.

I had assumed a hostile situation, so no sneaky cold-war stuff just classic pounce and smash. I feel like being literally surrounded by an enemy's vessel is a strategically poor time to begin firing weapons, but I'm not a starship captain.

Edit: Can a shield bubble stop a ship?

skasion posted:

Seems appropriate, that's basically what happened to the plot

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I had assumed a hostile situation, so no sneaky cold-war stuff just classic pounce and smash. I feel like being literally surrounded by an enemy's vessel is a strategically poor time to begin firing weapons, but I'm not a starship captain.
Well I mean if nothing else, it'll be hard to miss. I assume the Roms would plan for this, but maybe they wouldn't.

Have they ever won a war?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Nessus posted:

Well I mean if nothing else, it'll be hard to miss. I assume the Roms would plan for this, but maybe they wouldn't.

I wish one of the TNG alternate futures or timelines had involved the Romulans conquering the Klingons. The Romulans were always more interesting but the writers couldn't keep themselves from having them destroyed or defeated all the way through the reboot.

Was "Future Imperfect" the only exception?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nessus posted:

They were on the winning side of the Dominion War.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

They were on the winning side of the Dominion War.

Yeah, but the French were on the winning side of both World Wars, even though the UK, US, and USSR did all the heavy lifting.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Sash! posted:

Yeah, but the French were on the winning side of both World Wars, even though the UK, US, and USSR did all the heavy lifting.

At least the French were on the winning side both times. Now, the Italians...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nessus posted:

Apparently they did enough damage to get the Federation to abandon an entire technology tree.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Apparently they did enough damage to get the Federation to abandon an entire technology tree.
I dunno, the cloaking device thing seems like it's more voluntary restraint to avoid proliferation and political impact. They were still doing down-low research on the phenomenon and had no fundamental moral issues with cloaking technology. But if every Starfleet ship is now cloaked, then there's no reason for any other warship to not be cloaked, and then they start capping every freighter which means THEY'LL need to be cloaked, and you reach the point where every warp-capable starship has a cloaking device and then you can't loving see ANYTHING coming.

The Romulans just don't seem to be real big players, even if they're obviously not like... small, at least by the TNG/DS9 era. (They may have been relatively more impactful earlier.) I wouldn't be surprised if they had less political and economic clout than the Cardassians did.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 31, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nessus posted:

The Romulans just don't seem to be real big players, even if they're obviously not like... small, at least by the TNG/DS9 era. (They may have been relatively more impactful earlier.) I wouldn't be surprised if they had less political and economic clout than the Cardassians did.

The fact that they had been completely isolationist for decades before TNG Season 1 is one thing they (mostly) stuck with, it helped to keep some air of mystery about them.

That said, I still want my Machiavellian Romulan spin-off so goddamn bad. All the cunning and patience of Vulcans, but with a human lust for power and control. You can't order a pizza on Romulus without ending up in the Senate beholden to multiple competing factions and carrying out secret missions for the Tal Shiar... and that's before you add toppings.

Is Space Borgias really too much to ask for?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They tweaked the design to be much more aesthetically pleasing in Beyond, which makes it kind of frustrating that they just blew it up right away after they fixed a lot of problems. Then replaced it with an Enterprise-A that looks practically the same.

The A may look more different than you think, we just didn't get a good look.

The A also corrects my two biggest dislikes about the design: how far back the neck meets the hull (as covered before), and the fact that the pylons bowed outward, which just robbed them of all visual strength.

Orv
May 4, 2011

After The War posted:

Is Space Borgias really too much to ask for?

As long as it's still Jeremy Irons, just as a Romulan.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
One Actual Good thing that Voyager had going for it: the opening theme.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

The USS Toilet Lid.

Although it's kind of grown on me actually.

It's so sleek. It's definitely the most futuristic looking of the hero ships imo. Kind of looks like a fat robot or a toad with those windows on top. :getin:

Speaking of the swing-wing pylons, I can't imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it is to keep those things moving. Imagine them gumming up after a while, although I imagine they can fire the warp engines pylons down or cockeyed, just can't move as fast.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

After The War posted:

The fact that they had been completely isolationist for decades before TNG Season 1 is one thing they (mostly) stuck with, it helped to keep some air of mystery about them.

It's a very Federation thing to do to honor a non-proliferation treaty made with a state you haven't had diplomatic relations with for a generation, during which time you fight at least two wars and meet the borg

e: and then continue honoring it through the entire dominion war too

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I hate that that was literally the first shot of the completed Enterprise, with the film frame cutting off the front and back ends of the ship. It's a horribly ugly shot to present your new creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

skooma512 posted:

Although it's kind of grown on me actually.

I like Voyager because the torpedo launchers and deflector give it a happy face. :buddy: