Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm digging that design work on the covers. How do the insides look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

Yeah, after the barf bag full of art they previewed during the Kickstarter, I'm curious what the end product looks like.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Bargain Quest! A Fast and Fun Item Shop Board Game! looks like a board game version of Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale on the PC. BQ is a game for 2-4 players where you're trying to make the most money for your shop while also saving the town. Each round has you draft cards for your store shelves and place one at your display to entice the heroes to come to your shop and buy other things (that one is not for sale). Those heroes battle the monsters and if they slay it with your stuff, you get points. It's being made by siblings Johnathan and Victoria Ying. Johnathan has made a few big board games, like the recent DOOM, while Victoria is a visual development artist for Disney. The art looks really neat, plus I like how there's racial variety on the heroes shown. $30 for the regular game seems nice, but the $60 for the Deluxe is kinda a huge jump. Not to mention those higher $ tiers.

The higher tiers are restricted to two of each and are vanity rewards that have you personally inserted into the game. They're not worth mentioning in a cost analysis.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ettin posted:

A selection of art and content.

Bonus finger!

They have toned down the goofiness from the original drafts which is good. Cards feel a little thin, about he thickness of standard playing cards, rather than cards I've felt from some games (1.35 grams each vs CAH's 1.5).

Overall very pleased, can't wait to test the mechanics.

Edit: I do like this card, which as far as I can tell does absolutely nothing, and exists purely for the GM to show the players who their 'favourite' is at any one given time.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 31, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am really excited to get Paranoid. It looks better than I was expecting! Which wasn't set at the highest bar, granted.

I used to love running Paranoia XP, so hopefully this will be something easy to bust out for one shots.

Edit: God help you if you are color blind, though I guess with the setting it is pretty understandable.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That sounds like a good affliction to give someone's clone actually...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jedit posted:

The higher tiers are restricted to two of each and are vanity rewards that have you personally inserted into the game. They're not worth mentioning in a cost analysis.

Still $60 (plus shipping) for all the Kickstarter-related stuff is kinda a drag. I mean, I'd pay $40 for the Kickstarter extras without the artbook.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm kinda legitimately not sure where most of that extra $30 is coming from. The art book? The PDF art book?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know how this plays, but I know there is a large overlap between science nerds and board game nerds:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geniusgames/cytosis-a-cell-biology-board-game?ref=1szekr

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
There's a lot of scientists who love games -

Dante Lauretta, the principle investigator for the OSIRIS REx asteroid sample return mission is a gamer who's created a couple of space themed educational games, mostly aimed at families and kids.

The current campaign is 'Constellations' a game build around collecting the right cards to create the constellations in the night sky.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827615927/constellations-the-game-of-stargazing-and-the-nigh

But his previous Kickstarter was Xtronaut - a game where you collect the right cards to build rockets and run space missions, the rockets need to have the parts to reach sufficient deltaV for the mission requirements.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827615927/xtronaut-the-game-of-solar-system-exploration?ref=profile_created

Both games also devote about half the manual to educational activities, so they're not just space themed games, but actually have some educational value

(yes I reviewed this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHNfMF2hy9c)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

illectro posted:

There's a lot of scientists who love games -

Dante Lauretta, the principle investigator for the OSIRIS REx asteroid sample return mission is a gamer who's created a couple of space themed educational games, mostly aimed at families and kids.

The current campaign is 'Constellations' a game build around collecting the right cards to create the constellations in the night sky.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827615927/constellations-the-game-of-stargazing-and-the-nigh

But his previous Kickstarter was Xtronaut - a game where you collect the right cards to build rockets and run space missions, the rockets need to have the parts to reach sufficient deltaV for the mission requirements.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827615927/xtronaut-the-game-of-solar-system-exploration?ref=profile_created

Both games also devote about half the manual to educational activities, so they're not just space themed games, but actually have some educational value

(yes I reviewed this today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHNfMF2hy9c)
Have you tried Leaving Earth? It's more in depth from what I can see: it's not only about adding up the numbers of delta v according to the size of the spaceship, but actually having to work out what the mass of your spaceship is at every single stage and how much thrust you need to get that mass into LEO/lunar orbit/etc.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know how this plays, but I know there is a large overlap between science nerds and board game nerds:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geniusgames/cytosis-a-cell-biology-board-game?ref=1szekr

Rhado called it a fast playing lite gateway game, looked interesting up until then.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I went ahead and posted the Retrocausality KS. Hoping to get into stretch goals! :toot:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also, Pinnacle has two Kickstarters running now. One for Savage Worlds Fear Agent, and the other for a Savage Worlds version of The Goon comic.

New update on both those KS projects,

Shane Hensley" posted:

Every backer at the Digital Level or higher for the Fear Agent™ or Goon™ RPG Kickstarter gets:

Deadlands Player's Guide and Marshal's Handbook in PDF
East Texas University PDF
Rippers Resurrected Player's Guide and Game Master's Handbook in PDF
and The Last Parsec Core PDF!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

illectro posted:

Eh, I playtested this a few weeks back. Felt like a mathier Ticket to Ride, and not in a good way. The set collection is pretty bland, and suffers from the usual problems of a market row game.

The big game problem is, the human brain can hold about 7-10 numbers at a time in working memory. Each individual constellation tile has about 7-10 numbers on it. This makes comparing tiles a slow, tedious chore, because you're actively forgetting poo poo when glancing back and forth between tile options.

Also, as an educational tool, I'm not entirely sure what the game is supposed to be teaching. Like, without going on a whole rant on how gamified learning does and does not work, this game loads a few its lessons into its premise (i.e. different star classifications, names and positions of constellations), but it teaches very little through the act of play.

Compare something like a historical wargame. To a layperson, Napoleon's Triumph presents some facts in the premise (Napoleon fought a major victory at Austerlitz, here are the names of the commanders, et cetera). But you also come to understand why Napoleon made certain tactical decisions, because you get to explore the consequences of making those decisions (or not making those decisions) in the act of playing the game. You don't just absorb facts. You synthesize them.

Constellations doesn't really do this? Like, sure, the cards say things like, "Scorpio has this many O-type stars" or "Sagittarius is next to Ophiucus." But honestly, this is just fact recitation, and oftentimes play doesn't reflect these realities. I'll drat well stick Sagittarius next to fuckin' Pisces and Microscopium if it gives me some good gem matches. Does this teach me anything salient about astronomy? gently caress no it doesn't. It's just a pile of facts I may or may not ignore as it benefits me in the moment, and which I will promptly forget the instant I'm not looking at the cards.

I literally looked at that Sagittarius tile like six times in the last handful of minutes writing this. How many F-type stars does Sagittarius have in it? I have no loving clue.

Art's kinda pretty, though.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 1, 2017

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

For those of you looking for the Gloomhaven reprint Kickstarter today (Like I was) I found this from the creator on BGG:

"This new Kickstarter is happening faster than the scale I am used to for these sorts of things, so we've had to adjust and adapt as we figure things out. I know I have said various dates in the past (and even made a typo in the latest newsletter that implied it might be starting today - sorry about that), but I am now announcing that the launch date for the Kickstarter will be a week from today, April 4 at noon EST. This will not change.

In addition to the second printing of the game, the Kickstarter will also include options for current owners of the game to purchase sets of HP/EXP dials and new versions of the rule book and scenario book (free PDFs of both will also be provided for those who don't want to pay for printed versions). A printed version of the solo scenarios and solo items will also be available, as well as separate sets of standees and minis for the characters.

The Meeple Realty insert and the removable stickers made by Sinister Fish will not be part of the Kickstarter, as those are separate companies and their products are already available to order.

And if you weren't already aware, I am going to be running a really cool community-driven mini-campaign during the Kickstarter, so you should definitely come and check it out on the first day to get in on that action."

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Red Oktober posted:

Paranoia has finally shipped! Backed in Nov/2014 so they've certainly had time to perfect it. Quality of the materials is high, looking forward to playing it in the coming weeks.

Top and side of the box have a lovely almost invisible logo as well.

https://i.imgur.com/Uu4T5Nw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JuRmzvB.jpg

I'll believe it when I see it at my house!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
SJG's Dungeon Fantasy boxed set release has slipped from May to October

And unsurprisingly Modiphius's promise to have the Infinity core rulebook 'absolutely, categorically finished by March' sees them release a PDF with 5 unfinished chapters and multiple errors. Should have taken up the offer to get the book and a refund when they failed to hit that (nott hat I wanted anything to do with it by that point).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PST posted:

And unsurprisingly Modiphius's promise to have the Infinity core rulebook 'absolutely, categorically finished by March' sees them release a PDF with 5 unfinished chapters and multiple errors. Should have taken up the offer to get the book and a refund when they failed to hit that (nott hat I wanted anything to do with it by that point).

Ha, no wonder they weren't at the London Gaming Market today.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015

PST posted:

SJG's Dungeon Fantasy boxed set release has slipped from May to October

It had already been delayed to August back in November.

Still, though: balls.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!

The_Doctor posted:

Ha, no wonder they weren't at the London Gaming Market today.

How was that for you BTW? Some of the Modiphius crew were there, but not in an offical capacity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Druggeddwarf posted:

How was that for you BTW? Some of the Modiphius crew were there, but not in an offical capacity.

Didn't go, actually. I went back in November, meant to go this time, but Saturday was too heavy. I just know that Modiphius weren't going this time due to emailing them beforehand and asking.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If you missed it in the board games thread, the Gloomhaven reprint kickstarter is live and was fully funded 3 minutes in.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Psst!
Hey guys, the 2nd Printing of Gloomhaven's Kickstarter is up now:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven-second-printing

It has a tier for just the upgrades if you're a returning backer. I think I'll grab a copy of the heroes as standees as well to go with the original miniatures.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

bagrada posted:

If you missed it in the board games thread, the Gloomhaven reprint kickstarter is live and was fully funded 3 minutes in.

God damnit I need in on this. Here's hoping I'll have the cash at the end of the month.

That being said, if any of you are interested in his first game, Forge War - it's pretty great and you should check it out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JazzFlight posted:

Psst!
Hey guys, the 2nd Printing of Gloomhaven's Kickstarter is up now:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven-second-printing

It has a tier for just the upgrades if you're a returning backer. I think I'll grab a copy of the heroes as standees as well to go with the original miniatures.

Well, I happen to be getting a bonus check next week. I think $115 of that is getting earmarked for Gloomhaven.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The previous Gloomhaven KS raised 386k. The second printing raised 334k in under 40 minutes :eyepop:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tekopo posted:

The previous Gloomhaven KS raised 386k. The second printing raised 334k in under 40 minutes :eyepop:
I think what's nice about the reprint campaign is that you know what you're getting. People have already received and played the finished product, there are review videos/photos/etc... This isn't a shadowy campaign with "coming soon" parts to it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dammit I kinda want in on that with all the positive praise you guys have given it so far...

Just have no idea who I would play it with nor where to store the drat box and all its stuff..

S.J.
May 19, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Dammit I kinda want in on that with all the positive praise you guys have given it so far...

Just have no idea who I would play it with nor where to store the drat box and all its stuff..

You can play it solo. There are even new solo scenarios! Do it!

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Checked KS, took a shower, and bam came back to find Gloomhaven at over 300% funding goal. Snagged a $110 pledge for the second printing, solo scenarios, and an extra dollar for flavor. Extremely excited about this game!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, I'd say Gloomhaven makes for a pretty great solo game IF you only play 2, maaaaaaybe 3 characters. I would personally max out at 2.

If you're going for the full 4-person team, you're going to be taking forever trying to optimize your turns (plus you'll have to get through the most amount of monsters, ballooning the session time).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So the $110 is for the $99 buy in and the $10 Solo book?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Is Gloomhaven on TTS yet? Would be fun to virtually give it a whirl and play some of you who already have the game.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
The old Gloomhaven modules were broken for a good while. They've taken them down and are just going to be doing one for each of the 10 solo adventures.

The first one is up now.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Al Baron posted:

The old Gloomhaven modules were broken for a good while. They've taken them down and are just going to be doing one for each of the 10 solo adventures.

The first one is up now.

There were two. One was the entire first mission and had 4 of the starter 6 classes available. The other had all six starter classes but was missing a map tile, and claimed to have a second mission but that wasn't all there either. They didn't keep the first one in the workshop? It was great for an intro to the real game in a way I don't think today's new scenario will be.

fake edit: they did take down the good one. The one with missing pieces is still up there, alongside the new mission and the Founders of Gloomhaven demo for his next kickstarter.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Y'all convinced me to back Gloomhaven.

Does anyone here know how many minis come with the base game? The text implies that there are 17, but it only shows six of them. Is one mini used for multiple classes or what?

(Maybe I should be asking the creators this question, but I imagine they're kind of swamped right now.)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Falstaff posted:

Y'all convinced me to back Gloomhaven.

Does anyone here know how many minis come with the base game? The text implies that there are 17, but it only shows six of them. Is one mini used for multiple classes or what?

(Maybe I should be asking the creators this question, but I imagine they're kind of swamped right now.)

I think the other minis are classes that you unlock and are 'secret'

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

S.J. posted:

I think the other minis are classes that you unlock and are 'secret'
Yeah, think of it like a long-term Advent calendar that you open bit by bit as you finish a previous character's life goal. You then move on to the next job and get some perks for retiring the previous character. It takes quite a while until you retire a character, though. This is a long-rear end game.

The only downside is that you can't really check all your components for damage unless you don't mind getting completely spoiled.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
So how long does it take to play through the whole game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, think of it like a long-term Advent calendar that you open bit by bit as you finish a previous character's life goal. You then move on to the next job and get some perks for retiring the previous character. It takes quite a while until you retire a character, though. This is a long-rear end game.

The only downside is that you can't really check all your components for damage unless you don't mind getting completely spoiled.

Yeah I spoiled myself intentionally before buying the game, and while checking components on my package I found I had a duplicate/missing fig. Triple Arrow and Blocky Helm had the same figure, so I emailed Isaac and he sent me a replacement Triple Arrow (while letting me keep the dupe). It should also be noted one of the characters comes with two minis. 18 minis for 17 classes, 6 of which are available at the start of the game.