Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Totally digging Captain Cold. He's exceeding my expectations which were pretty low after seeing him briefly in an earlier trailer for the story. Even his voice is perfect for a smarmy dude with a freeze gun and his fighting style looks fun.

Somehow Bane still looks boring.

My Bane will be fabulous with all the hopefully outlandish lucha gear I put on him to disguise his Reebok Sneaker look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MinibarMatchman posted:

My Bane will be fabulous with all the hopefully outlandish lucha gear I put on him to disguise his Reebok Sneaker look

I'm honestly kinda unhappy with it but these are the most surface-level impressions and I'm withholding my judgement until I get a gameplay breakdown and see some gear.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

If nothing else seeing him slo-mo drop kick Wonder Woman in the trailer brightened up my slow work day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Was already excited for Bane and Grodd, even moreso now. :flashfap:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AQUAMAN

Alias: Arthur Curry, Orin
First Appearance: More Fun Comics #73 (1941)
Powers: Can breathe underwater, mentally communicate with sea life to make them do his bidding, has the strength and durability that allows him to exist in the deepest depths of the ocean.

Aquaman has a handful of different origins from over the years. Originally he was a human boy whose father taught him how to breathe underwater (it was the 40’s). Then he was the son of a man and an Atlantian woman. Then he was just purely from Atlantis, but ended up adopted by a human. They’ve since gone back to the mixed parentage idea.

Aquaman became the king of the seas, got a couple sidekicks in Aqualad and Aquagirl, and a queen in Mera. Mera herself is some kind of human-looking alien or something. I don’t know. He was a founding member of the Justice League, but in terms of that team, he’s more remembered for being part of what’s considered the worst Justice League incarnation.

Back in the 80’s, DC wanted to change up the Justice League and since Marvel was kicking rear end with the X-Men comics, they had the classic League disband for the sake of starting a new team that was mostly made up of angsty teenagers fighting crime in Detroit. Aquaman was the leader of this Detroit League and sales tanked pretty hard.

Aquaman had become something of a joke to anyone who had knowledge of the character from the Superfriends cartoon, since his whole deal was that he was, “that guy who talks to fish.” DC Comics had developed something of a chip on their shoulder from this. They tried to make him more serious by having one of his villains kill his baby son, which drove Mera insane. Then they had Aquaman get his hand eaten off by a school of piranhas.

In the 90’s, they tried to butch him up by giving him long hair, a beard and a hook hand. The run of that character was supposedly pretty good, but reeked of trying too hard. Later they returned him to his classic look, only instead of a hook, his hand was made of magic water. That was kind of cool.

Then for several years, Aquaman’s whole existence became a clusterfuck. In order to save Sub Diego (San Diego, which is now underwater and everyone can breathe fine) from the Spectre (the literal wrath of God, who had gone insane), Aquaman sacrificed himself and became some tentacle-faced wizard with amnesia. Then there’s a new Aquaman named Arthur Joseph who was just an underwater version of Conan the Barbarian. Tentacle-faced amnesiac Aquaman got killed and Aquaman the Barbarian took up the throne, but then DC kind of forgot about the new guy and let him fade into obscurity.

In one of the weirdest comic book moments, a zombie Aquaman appeared during the big Green Lantern event Blackest Night to haunt Mera. Mera had been empowered by a Red Lantern ring (more on that in the next installment), building on her intense rage. When Aquaman held up his zombie baby to taunt her, Mera vomited napalm blood onto them both while yelling, “I never wanted to have children!” At the end of the story, this mysterious force of white light resurrected a dozen dead DC characters for its own cryptic reasons. One of them was Aquaman. After that, Aquaman had the ability to control dead and decaying marine life.

In the New 52 reboot, Aquaman was again a founding member of the Justice League, but had become a laughing stock in that world due to being “that dude who talks to fish.” This was despite being able to deflect bullets with his forehead and summon giant sharks to eat alien demons. He was in a spot where both the humans and the Atlanteans looked down at him and the only one who truly cared for him was Mera, who held onto a big, “gently caress the humans for what they say about you!” sentiment.

New 52 Aquaman also had a sweet side-team of adventurers named The Others made up of new characters. I was one of the very few who seemed to dig them but even I forgot that they existed. But for real, Prisoner of War was maybe my favorite character to come out of New 52.

He has two main villains. One is Black Manta, a sea pirate who, in one continuity, was a black separatist who wanted all black people to live underwater. He’s remembered for having coolest voice on Superfriends. He was also renamed “Devil Ray” on the Justice League cartoon because of a dumb rule that made Aquaman characters other than Aquaman himself off-limits due to the creation of the Aquaman TV pilot that never went anywhere.

The other big villain is Ocean Master, Aquaman’s half-brother. His usual deal is that he’s jealous of Aquaman and wants to be king instead. New 52 actually made him more likable, probably for the sake of his eventual turn to outright evil hitting harder, but then he fell into a bit of obscurity.

Speaking of New 52, Aquaman was connected to one of the funniest, “what the gently caress is wrong with this company?” editorial decisions. See, the creative team working on Batwoman were leaving the book and wanted to end their story with Batwoman proposing to her girlfriend. DC said no. People got up in arms because they took it as an anti-gay stance when Marvel and even Archie Comics have featured gay marriages. DC instead went deeper. They weren’t anti-gay. They were anti-marriage. They pointed out that none of their rebooted heroes were married because you can’t be married AND be a superhero. That would just be silly. This also meant that all this time, the king and queen of Atlantis weren’t actually married. Once DC started their Rebirth thing, Aquaman immediately proposed to Mera.

The cartoon Batman: the Brave and the Bold made Aquaman awesome by essentially making him some kind of mix of Hank Scorpio and Zapp Brannigan. Naturally, DC has made no attempt to piggyback onto this popularity, though his Justice League Roman Reigns movie self is a step in the right direction.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

not to stop you or anything but are all of these just gonna be copy/pastes from your blog

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

not to stop you or anything but are all of these just gonna be copy/pastes from your blog

Gavok's writeups are cool, but way to be a dick.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

was legitimately wondering because I've read the entries on the blog twice so far (back when he first posted them and then again when he linked them earlier in the thread), not seeing how I'm being a dick lol

looking forward to the new ones though, especially grodd's

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

For the returning characters, pretty much, although I am updating accordingly. It's been four years, after all. But the next one is a new character.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Grodd excites me because I really like extrememly stylistic move sets. i've always thought the spider-man video games lived and died by whether or not Spidey got sweet luchadore wrestling moves or just regular punches and kicks, it's important to give characters attacks he would use. Capt. Cold basically being a Melee Mei (from overwatch) looks fun as hell.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Some of that was newly added, it isn't a straight up copy/paste.

Thanks for making the effort Gavok. Really looking forward to your Atrocitus write up, since he's one of my favs, both ironic and sincere.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Personally the biggest improvements are the female models. Wonder Woman looks million times better than the first game, and the facial animation of Supergirl is a hell of a lot better than when she was first shown off.

It's hard to explain, but it's like they put more...weight to the female characters as well in the animations during the fights. The original game's female roster looked/felt fragile compared to the rest of the roster, but that definitely doesn't look to be the case in the videos of this game so far, examples being Wonder Woman's and Cheetah's reveal trailer, especially.

Kudos to NRS, you can really tell the craft and effort that is going into this game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gavok posted:

For the returning characters, pretty much, although I am updating accordingly. It's been four years, after all. But the next one is a new character.

yesss. is it...

*looks at the alphabet*

borilla brodd???

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Bust Rodd posted:

Grodd excites me because I really like extrememly stylistic move sets. i've always thought the spider-man video games lived and died by whether or not Spidey got sweet luchadore wrestling moves or just regular punches and kicks, it's important to give characters attacks he would use. Capt. Cold basically being a Melee Mei (from overwatch) looks fun as hell.

Grodd excites me cause he's a freakin gorilla and there needs to be more playable apes in fighting games.

That and who knows how he plays like really? The old footage from 6 months ago doesn't really show much. Maybe a grappler til he traits up, then more like a raven/kenshi style zoner?

*ed*

I vaguely seem to recall him traiting up made him invulnerable to projectiles(passes through) but who knows if that still the case.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 31, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Probably will get lost in the shuffle but NRS has been continuously improving the face tech by an impressive margin, jeez

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3720/33660995216_b748d96077_o.jpg

Oh yeah and Captain Cold looks loving awesome, did not expect his moveset to look so rad. Scarecrow I still don't understand how he has these powers but his sick chainsickle is really cool and he looks good.

scarecrow was super murdered in the injustice comics so presumably he's back via shenanigans that also gave him actual powers

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I approve of any/all Gavok posts and am looking forward to the 16 new character writeups :thumbsup: Captain Cold and Firestorm's should be fun.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

scarecrow was super murdered in the injustice comics so presumably he's back via shenanigans that also gave him actual powers

Wow that makes 2 black lanterns so far

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MinibarMatchman posted:

I approve of any/all Gavok posts and am looking forward to the 16 new character writeups :thumbsup: Captain Cold and Firestorm's should be fun.

yeah I mostly read this thread for Gavok's writeups

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Scarecrow was killed in such a throwaway manner that it may have simply been an oversight. He literally showed up in a single panel if I recall.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I mean, Scarecrow shows up in the first game, so yeah prolly just a fuckup

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i would love the theory that crane is the new avatar of rot to be true

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

i would love the theory that crane is the new avatar of rot to be true

He actually merged with Parallax to become Fear itself.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Technowolf posted:

He actually became Fear itself.

:getin:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/InjusticeGame/status/847873574840877056
That was random

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

not sure i understand but cool.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Let us shine a spotlight on that lesser known, unappreciated DC superhero, Batman. They can't all be Blue Beetle, you know.

Also holy crap the neon fringe on his outfit is ridiculous looking.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 31, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Will armor custimization be reflected in story mode?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Only if you make everyone as gaudy and neon as possible.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

no, the gear system doesn't interact with story mode at all from what we've been told

but there's going to be other gear-centric singleplayer stuff they haven't detailed yet. just no story cutscenes with crazy outfits

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I like how Swamp Thang is hanging out in the Yukon or whatever and how Batman is a walking rave.

Why's Scarecrow so scared for, isn't he literally a Fear Lantern in that image? Or is he just being sarcastic or something? Either way this should be his alt skin.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 31, 2017

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
He's scared he's gonna be in a videogame again where all they do is make him huge

For real tho can't wait to main him

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In recent years overexposure to fear toxin has made Scarecrow unable to feel fear at anything non-Batman related

the yellow ring gave him that back

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

In recent years overexposure to fear toxin has made Scarecrow unable to feel fear at anything non-Batman related

Massive self ownage is a recurring thing with poor scarecrow

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

no, the gear system doesn't interact with story mode at all from what we've been told

but there's going to be other gear-centric singleplayer stuff they haven't detailed yet. just no story cutscenes with crazy outfits

0/10 worst game ever

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

That's actually pretty loving awesome.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

AndyElusive posted:

Unfortunately soon after he got the ring he got punked by Luthor who ripped it off his finger (at the time Luthor possessed the avarice ring, making him a agent of greed, so he had to have the yellow ring).

Everyone should read Blackest Night and the tie-ins (at least the Green Lanterns and Flash). The two mentioned above, Wonder Woman w/the love ring, Atom w/the compassion ring, Mera w/the rage ring, Flash w/the hope ring, the Black Lanterns, the White Lantern...man that poo poo was so good.

(Sorry for the comic derail, it's just really good)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I've actually been meaning to read Blackest Night, for a really long time.

But first, shouldn't I read Sinestro Corps War? See, I don't really know where to start when it comes to Green Lantern.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AndyElusive posted:

I've actually been meaning to read Blackest Night, for a really long time.

But first, shouldn't I read Sinestro Corps War? See, I don't really know where to start when it comes to Green Lantern.

Start with Green Lantern: Rebirth and just work your way through Geoff Johns' GL run. It does really run out of gas towards the end (after Blackest Night), but it's a very solid run.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Even if he didn't do a ton in it, Scarecrow got some cool bits in Blackest Night.

He's so screwed up that the black lanterns can't even see him, because he feels a big fat nothing at their spooky monster chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Robert Englund (aka freddy krueger) is voicing Scarecrow, pretty cool

https://twitter.com/RobertBEnglund/status/847919338870800384

• Locked thread