Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kuvo posted:

im only 4 eps into reconguista in g but why does both sides let their prisoners just casually take their mobile suits out for test drives during combat?

The running theme of g-reco is that everyone treats war like a game because the experience of real, consequential violence has long passed out of living memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Counter-point: tomino shows constantly have people taking mobile suits on a whim and its has always been dumb and irritating as gently caress, and is not restricted to 1000 year in the future war-noobs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's kind of hilarious how many events in the UC and the alternate universes would have been halted if somebody just locked their cockpit door or raised the alarm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not like locking your suit stops people from stealing it anyway. They find a way. Looking at you 0 Rasier or Ali Al Sarchez.

Edit: Or Kio Asuno will just hand the keys over because a tiny space girl has cancer. I suppose IBO is ahead in that they just murder you, clean you out of the cockpit and then paint your robot pink.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Gundam prisoners are either treated super duper well, or are treated very poorly and force to work in harsh conditions, for example Chara being forced to work as a janitor.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's not like locking your suit stops people from stealing it anyway. They find a way. Looking at you 0 Rasier or Ali Al Sarchez.

Edit: Or Kio Asuno will just hand the keys over because a tiny space girl has cancer. I suppose IBO is ahead in that they just murder you, clean you out of the cockpit and then paint your robot pink.

Or it could be a Garrod or Tobia situation where they learned from the great Chirico Cuvie and just hijack a mobile suit at gunpoint and peace out.

Tobia gets bonus points for shooting out the decoy balloons on the Gundam in question so he could have a distraction as he climbed up to the cockpit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I always liked the retinal scanner's in 00, though I guess if you have a one of a kind supercomputer backing you up it can override it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Every now and then I miss Chara Soon.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they usually just leave the keys in tanks irl so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine they stopped bothering to put locks on war machines at all

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

military equipment like tanks, jets, etc. in real life tend to not have keys or any anti-theft because it's one more potential Thing To Go Wrong if you have to scramble to full readiness on short notice, and also because it's generally accepted that someone has to be loving suicidal to try and steal a loving tank.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah, gundams lacking anti theft features is pretty true to life, most militaries rely on physical security of the armory/motor pool/hangar to prevent theft. Why the patrols and watch are weak enough around prisoners to let someone in the cockpit in the first place is the better question.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The unicorn has anti theft technology at least.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dulkor posted:

Yeah, gundams lacking anti theft features is pretty true to life, most militaries rely on physical security of the armory/motor pool/hangar to prevent theft. Why the patrols and watch are weak enough around prisoners to let someone in the cockpit in the first place is the better question.

The big difference is there is no weapon in real life that is as much of a game changer as a gundam.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

IBO does have another option: they kill you with a giant lump of metal before you even get in to the suit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
poo poo, did anyone actually steal a suit in ibo? I can't remember now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Never outright Mech-jacking, just salvaging the ones that Mikazuki didn't personally smash into a thin metal smear for Tekkadan to use.

After they hosed out the cockpits, of course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

McGillis, I guess.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dulkor posted:

What are you talking about the Federation has the best false accent detecting security in the world!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I mean, dies it even snow in Australia? Regardless of the flipped seasons.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not sure, I imagine a colony drop would gently caress up seasons a little bit perhaps?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kingtheninja posted:

I mean, dies it even snow in Australia? Regardless of the flipped seasons.

We do get snow in some mountainous regions of Victoria and (I think) NSW, yes.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Tae posted:

There's a guy in the first season who tries to plug into the AV system in the Barbatos but I think it just puts him into a persistent vegetative state. He's not stealing it though, he wanted to transport it to Mikazuki.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

McGillis, I guess.

Yeah, McGillis walked into their super secret robot bay and jacked their Gundam because he thought it would make him the protagonist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, McGillis walked into their super secret robot bay and jacked their Gundam because he thought it would make him the protagonist.

Not completely accurate; The security system for Bael was that no-one remembered you needed an AV connection to pilot Gundams during the Calamity War, and it got muddled down into superstitious belief about having to be "Chosen" by it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not sure, I imagine a colony drop would gently caress up seasons a little bit perhaps?

With the amount of dust and stuff ejected into the atmosphere by the impact, I have to assume it would cause another Year Without a Summer situation

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not completely accurate; The security system for Bael was that no-one remembered you needed an AV connection to pilot Gundams during the Calamity War, and it got muddled down into superstitious belief about having to be "Chosen" by it.

Having not seen the second season (and having no real interest in doing so), how/when did McGillis get AV treatment out of curiosity?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Having not seen the second season (and having no real interest in doing so), how/when did McGillis get AV treatment out of curiosity?

They handwaved that they figured out how to gives adults A-V treatment through experiments.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is that really a handwave when the first season established that Gjallarhorn had been experimenting using AV tech with a while and used Ein as another subject?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

He kept using the secret lab that gave birth to the Graze Ein. They used the data from Ein to perfect an Alaya-Vijnana System for adults that's capable of handling a Gundam's data output - so, basically as effective as Mikazuki's triple-whisker setup, but bigger and clunkier.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

There's a guy in the first season who tries to plug into the AV system in the Barbatos but I think it just puts him into a persistent vegetative state. He's not stealing it though, he wanted to transport it to Mikazuki.

Nah, he survived, it just knocked him out for a while.

Dante's still alive right now, matter of fact. Probably won't be for much longer, but it seems temporary overload isn't crippling as long as it isn't instantly fatal.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

chiasaur11 posted:

Nah, he survived, it just knocked him out for a while.

Dante's still alive right now, matter of fact. Probably won't be for much longer, but it seems temporary overload isn't crippling as long as it isn't instantly fatal.

poo poo, you're right, he does show up again. Doesn't contribute much but at least he's not a cucumber.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

poo poo, you're right, he does show up again. Doesn't contribute much but at least he's not a cucumber.

He actually contributes a decent amount. Guy's basically Tekkadan's version of Apolly, the reliable cleanup guy who never gets much focus but always does a solid job of keeping the small fry off the heroes' backs. He and Chad are probably Tekkadan's next-best fighters after the three Gundam pilots.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

He actually contributes a decent amount. Guy's basically Tekkadan's version of Apolly, the reliable cleanup guy who never gets much focus but always does a solid job of keeping the small fry off the heroes' backs. He and Chad are probably Tekkadan's next-best fighters after the three Gundam pilots.

Both also former human debris I think, so they at least get some shared development by getting away from that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Both also former human debris I think, so they at least get some shared development by getting away from that.

Dante's also Tekkadan's best hacker, so that's something else. Meanwhile, Chad's had a surprising amount of stuff this season, especially considering his main moment in the first half of the show was a next episode preview where he brought up that nobody tends to notice him.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want to talk about Guin being gay.

When I see most people discussing it people tend to read it as Guin being in denial that Loran was a man so he wouldn't have to admit to himself he is gay.

But I saw it more as just putting himself in a position of power over Loran and humoring himself a bit. Guin is pretty much define by the fact he is always just aiming for what he thinks is the dominate position to achieve his industrial revolution goal, so it makes since he is domineering in this aspect as well. So I don't think I see the whole denial thing.

Either way its a messed up relationship. I feel like I could be doing some over justification though because I really like Guin and think its pretty cool he is a gay character and if the denial stuff is the right reading it would not sit well with me.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

When I see most people discussing it people tend to read it as Guin being in denial that Loran was a man so he wouldn't have to admit to himself he is gay.

But I saw it more as just putting himself in a position of power over Loran and humoring himself a bit. Guin is pretty much define by the fact he is always just aiming for what he thinks is the dominate position to achieve his industrial revolution goal, so it makes since he is domineering in this aspect as well. So I don't think I see the whole denial thing.

Either way its a messed up relationship. I feel like I could be doing some over justification though because I really like Guin and think its pretty cool he is a gay character and if the denial stuff is the right reading it would not sit well with me.

I mean, there isn't a "right" reading. Your reading of any work of fiction has as much value as anyone elses.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Mind you, the 'Laura' stuff being a deliberate power-play kind of plays up the predatory aspects of a grown man lusting after a teenage boy, so that ain't a great look for him either.

It's interesting to look at gay characters in Gundam. There's Rosenthal from G-Reco, who's a flamboyant walking stereotype, but is also a nice, friendly dude who gets to fly a cool suit and do cool things, and is treated more kindly than any other member of his faction (in that he comes out alive with no lasting trauma). In IBO, there's Takaki, a smart, sweet guy who spends most of his time pining over an unattainable dude and then the rest of the time pining over his memory, there's Iznario the stereotypical predatory paedophile, and finally there's Kudelia and Atra's heavily-subtexted relationship, which essentially ends with them as a husband and housewife raising a kid together, but almost always couches it in their mutual love for a man. Gundam certainly isn't there yet in LGBT representation, but it does at least seem to be becoming more open to the possibility.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, the 'Laura' stuff being a deliberate power-play kind of plays up the predatory aspects of a grown man lusting after a teenage boy, so that ain't a great look for him either.

It's interesting to look at gay characters in Gundam. There's Rosenthal from G-Reco, who's a flamboyant walking stereotype, but is also a nice, friendly dude who gets to fly a cool suit and do cool things, and is treated more kindly than any other member of his faction (in that he comes out alive with no lasting trauma). In IBO, there's Takaki, a smart, sweet guy who spends most of his time pining over an unattainable dude and then the rest of the time pining over his memory, there's Iznario the stereotypical predatory paedophile, and finally there's Kudelia and Atra's heavily-subtexted relationship, which essentially ends with them as a husband and housewife raising a kid together, but almost always couches it in their mutual love for a man. Gundam certainly isn't there yet in LGBT representation, but it does at least seem to be becoming more open to the possibility.

Apparently Guin is 19 and Loran is 17.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Apparently Guin is 19 and Loran is 17.

Yeah I was gonna post this as well. Going to the gundam wiki to look that up led me to this sentence though "Guin was one of the first straight gay characters in the Gundam franchise." It cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Aspects of Char and Haman's relationship was confusing to me because it took me a while to realize she was suppose to be like 20 and not older.

Droyer posted:

Yeah I was gonna post this as well. Going to the gundam wiki to look that up led me to this sentence though "Guin was one of the first straight gay characters in the Gundam franchise." It cracks me up.

TV Tropes strikes again.