Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt he a catholic? arnt they supposed to be saner. like i know conservatives catholic and outside abortion, they are pretty liberal(compared to the evangelicals.)

also him describing satan would make Satan an objectivist.

hes catholic? i was taught that "lucifer" was a mistranslation and not the devil's name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Baloogan posted:

hes catholic? i was taught that "lucifer" was a mistranslation and not the devil's name

Identifying "Lucifer" as a name for the devil and/or Satan (leaving aside any arguments about what those two words actually refer to) is based on the King James Version of the Bible, and it's widely regarded as a mistranslation, but there's a whole movement within some Christian circles to use the KJV version only and there's certainly some Catholics in that group. I dunno whether he's one of that group, but the fact that he's Catholic wouldn't specifically exclude it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

it kind of blows me away he's gonna sign that since it would be such an easy win for him not to
a few thousand reddit chuds in mostly blue states or Canada are worth less than nothing to him

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Look at this evangelical piece of garbage.

Looks like Regnery Publishing is wanting to publish his book now.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

matt walsh is evangelical as far as i could suss out (didnt try very hard tho)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pretty sure Walsh is Catholic but the infection is spreading

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

Identifying "Lucifer" as a name for the devil and/or Satan (leaving aside any arguments about what those two words actually refer to) is based on the King James Version of the Bible, and it's widely regarded as a mistranslation, but there's a whole movement within some Christian circles to use the KJV version only and there's certainly some Catholics in that group. I dunno whether he's one of that group, but the fact that he's Catholic wouldn't specifically exclude it.

thinking that some translation is somehow special and holy is stupid a f imo

KJV is hard to read :/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

spacetoaster posted:

so what, he found god now? or some poo poo like that.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Having been to small town Evangelical services, megachurch Evangelical services, traditional Catholic services and Episcopal services I would say the defining characteristic of the Evangelical service is the sermon. In Catholicism the sermon is a short affair whose topic is dictated by the central Church. In Episcopalism the sermon is only a few minutes long at most. Both traditions run on ritual and only have an hour to get through everything, including Communion, during a service. Evangelical services though can run multiple hours (8:30-12:30 was the norm when I was growing up) and most of that time is for sermons on any and every topic that came to the pastor's mind that week. You start with a little song worship to warm up the crowd, then a charismatic preacher rants for an hour. Then more song service. Sometimes you get talking in tongues to reinforce how different your group is from everyone else. Then its back for another hour long rant on morality and hellfire. Repeat until 12:30, when everyone meets for snacks and gossip. My experience at a megachurch was pretty similar, just with everything bigger. New people get singled out and pressured to announce their faith to everyone. There's no central doctrine or even widely recognized songs or rituals, so every church is its own cult of personality for the preacher.

A good comparison for an Evangelical service is listening to right wing talk radio for four hours a day every weekend, although with maybe a bit more emphasis on doing good for the community (so long as the community is Christian and you get to be smug about it afterwards).

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

spacetoaster posted:

So pretty much all christians except for like unitarians or something. ok.

Evangelicals is basically Biblical grabbag. Not Mormons, not Catholics, not Lutherans, and generally not willing to recognize those groups as Christian.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Pretty sure Walsh is Catholic but the infection is spreading

well if he's catholic, that explains why he is stuck in such a loveless paranoid marriage that he has to police who he or his wife eats with

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol this guy is such wannabe tough guy. surprised he doesnt have a fedora.

He's also been professionally photographed wearing a flat cap, plus he's a wannabe Bourbon Bastard who has photos of himself smoking cigars and drinking on his porch. What a cliche.

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/661892812263333889?lang=en

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

spacetoaster posted:

Milo is Catholic, hence his love for Priests... Also Regnery? That's a pretty far drop but not as bad as self publishing.

I guess Milo is going to live and fight another day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

goodog posted:

He's also been professionally photographed wearing a flat cap, plus he's a wannabe Bourbon Bastard who has photos of himself smoking cigars and drinking on his porch. What a cliche.

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/661892812263333889?lang=en

i like flat caps :(

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hate to break it to you but you are not as dapper as you might think

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Bad fashion reminds me... Remember when Gavin McInnes did DO'S AND DON'TS for VICE and now he's the leader of an ultra-nationalist death squad known as the Proud Boys who are named after a song from ALADIN?

Good times.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Montasque posted:

Bad fashion reminds me... Remember when Gavin McInnes did DO'S AND DON'TS for VICE and now he's the leader of an ultra-nationalist death squad known as the Proud Boys who are named after a song from ALADIN?

Good times.

haha holly crap i thought proud boys was an allusion to white pride

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

cumshitter posted:

haha holly crap i thought proud boys was an allusion to white pride

No, it's literally from Aladdin the Musical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX4YR3ItBsw

E: It's a no-fap fake gang named after a song from Aladdin the Musical.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus christ

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Montasque posted:

I miss the Nazis

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Montasque posted:

Milo is Catholic, hence his love for Priests.

He meets all the categories set out last page for evangelical (except for being from the USA part, and protestant, but he's there in spirit).

Montasque posted:

Regnery? That's a pretty far drop but not as bad as self publishing.

I guess Milo is going to live and fight another day.

Was there ever any doubt he would come right on back? He played it smart. He gave a statement explaining himself (even if it was bad, it was an explanation) and then disappeared for a while.

Letting some time pass is a tried and true method for making a comeback. have you noticed people fawning over President Bush lately? lol

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Montasque posted:

No, it's literally from Aladdin the Musical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX4YR3ItBsw

thats gay as poo poo and i say this as a dude who genuinely likes having my dick inside other men

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah i thought it was some nazi thing too

somehow this is worse

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
*prints out sick tweets and blog posts*

mom.... are youuuuu proud of your boyyyyy hahaha what a loser

dumb true story: my mom googled my personal email and tracked it down to a forum where i was talking about lsd and giving someone curious about it advice on how to trip for the first time and i woke up one day to an email from her telling me i should be more careful about what i do on the internet

like yeah moom im gonna send out resumes from my cumshitter@gmail address

cumshitter has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Mar 31, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Baloogan posted:

hate to break it to you but you are not as dapper as you might think

I base my personal style entirely on dressing like minor antagonists from robocop, so I gotta know: where do casual berets fall on the headwear scale

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

cumshitter posted:

*prints out sick tweets and blog posts*

mom.... are youuuuu proud of your boyyyyy hahaha what a loser

dumb true story: my mom googled my personal email and tracked it down to a forum where i was talking about lsd and giving someone curious about it advice on how to trip for the first time and i woke up one day to an email from her telling me i should be more careful about what i do on the internet

like yeah moom im gonna send out resumes from my cumshitter@gmail address

right? you send things like that from mrcumshitter@hotmail

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Baloogan posted:

well like half our language is derived from it, and since language determines thought patterns the KJV really does reside within all our minds like a linguistic holy spirit

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Baloogan posted:

It places poetic beauty over textual accuracy, because it was created at a time when most of the people who would be hearing it would be illiterate or, at the very least, not able to afford books, so there's a lot of things that are there because they sound good, even if it isn't exactly what is in keeping with the original text. It might seem bizarre nowadays in a world of cheap books and near-universal literacy, but it's easy to forget that hearing a priest read the Bible was the only way that most people ever experienced it, so how it sounded was just as important, if not moreso, than how accurate it was to the original text, so long as the overall meaning was conveyed.

As for why people think it is special among translations, it's basically biblical inerrancy run amok. Many, though not all, of the people who use the KJV exclusively do so on the basis that not only was the Bible divinely inspired and completely without error when the books were originally written, but that God used various methods to ensure that this same divine inspiration and/or inerrancy applies to the KJV as well. One particular story that I was told by a KJV only person is that when it was created, King James sent 100 translators to 100 separate rooms and asked them to produce a translation of the Bible and, via a miracle, when they emerged, all of their versions were exactly the same. The rest use a variety of really suspect arguments to claim that the KJV is the best translation available in English, but that's a really hard pill to swallow for anyone that knows anything about translation.

Not a Step posted:

Sometimes you get talking in tongues to reinforce how different your group is from everyone else. Then its back for another hour long rant on morality and hellfire. Repeat until 12:30, when everyone meets for snacks and gossip. My experience at a megachurch was pretty similar, just with everything bigger. New people get singled out and pressured to announce their faith to everyone. There's no central doctrine or even widely recognized songs or rituals, so every church is its own cult of personality for the preacher.
Just want to point out that speaking in tongues is part of a very specific tradition typically referred to as charismatic or pentecostal, and like most stuff associated with Evangelicals, is really hit or miss depending on whether the area has a lot of pentecostals in the area from which the church draws membership.

My own personal experience with this going with my father for a variety of boring reasons to a Joel Osteen service/revival/whatever. It was at a big arena, and was a good couple of hours from start to finish and was structured essentially like a stage performance, so as the audience, you never really knew what was going to happen next (as opposed to a liturgical service where things move along a set path). There was a heavy dose of the prosperity gospel, but it wasn't really offensive or anything, though I will say that, as someone who attends church on a regular basis and has been to services from a variety of denominations, I have never been to a service that has spiritually moved me less than that. At the emotional climax of the service, Osteen gets up and emotionally asks if anyone is ready to rededicate their lives to Christ, and if so, he asks them to stand. After a bit, pretty much everyone around me is standing, and I'm sitting there unmoved, going "really, that was something that moved you?" but I stood anyways, cause there's some conversations that I just don't want to have with my father in an auditorium full of crying people.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Americans have a slightly skewed view of Catholicism as American Catholics in general tend to be more liberal than the church itself and as a result the Church in the U.S. has had to be more liberal to accommodate them, in the rest of the world, Catholics aren't much different than American Evangelicals and are comparably conservative on the major issues and probably more conservative on some (no birth control at all is okay, etc...). Catholics may represent the warm and fluffy version of Christianity stateside, but they are a major driver of incredibly conservative policy worldwide.

edit: there's also the Trad Cath movement (i.e. Mel Gibson) which is so conservative they want to undo Vatican II and return to the Latin mass, lmao.

A Pale Horse has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Mar 31, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id like latin mass i follow the pope in english and latin

latin is cool

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I base my personal style entirely on dressing like minor antagonists from robocop, so I gotta know: where do casual berets fall on the headwear scale

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Azathoth posted:

After a bit, pretty much everyone around me is standing, and I'm sitting there unmoved, going "really, that was something that moved you?" but I stood anyways, cause there's some conversations that I just don't want to have with my father in an auditorium full of crying people.

If its not speaking in tongues, its crying. Or dancing. Or falling down. Or really anything that would embarrass a grown adult (or child) in any other context but in religion is used to build group cohesion. Its like listening to Rush Limbaugh all day once a week, but you do it with your friends and family around you and everyone does a little spin together every few hours. And everyone thinks that its just a normal thing all people do, or should be doing, and will burn in hellfire if they don't and its *your* duty to convince them of the error of their heathen ways (evangelize them).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I went to a megachurch service in colorado to see what it was like but 15 minutes in the band were still on playing the same song as when they started and we got bored and left. I really wanted to see some crazy poo poo but it was insanely dull while everyone around was dancing to the bad music

It was the one where the founder hired a male prostitute but that probably doesn't really help narrow it down

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Not a Step posted:

If its not speaking in tongues, its crying. Or dancing. Or falling down. Or really anything that would embarrass a grown adult (or child) in any other context but in religion is used to build group cohesion. Its like listening to Rush Limbaugh all day once a week, but you do it with your friends and family around you and everyone does a little spin together every few hours. And everyone thinks that its just a normal thing all people do, or should be doing, and will burn in hellfire if they don't and its *your* duty to convince them of the error of their heathen ways (evangelize them).

dont dox me friend

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
king james bible is poo poo!!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

king james bible is poo poo!!!!

harsh but fair

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jose posted:

I went to a megachurch service in colorado to see what it was like but 15 minutes in the band were still on playing the same song as when they started and we got bored and left. I really wanted to see some crazy poo poo but it was insanely dull while everyone around was dancing to the bad music

It was the one where the founder hired a male prostitute but that probably doesn't really help narrow it down

You sure the preacher didn't just have a hot mic issue?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

You sure the preacher didn't just have a hot mic issue?

more like hot mike issue

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
totally off topic but what is the technical term for churches where anyone can basaically decide that they're a pasor or clergyman or whatever. not charismatic churches, something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

cargo cult posted:

totally off topic but what is the technical term for churches where anyone can basaically decide that they're a pasor or clergyman or whatever. not charismatic churches, something else

Maoism