Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That young generation usually doesn't vote in significant numbers regardless and I don't think a few rallies or specials by a couple of comedians would change that. Especially true since they were all already screaming at the top of their lungs to go out and vote even if you didn't have your ideal choice.

Trump energized a base to go out and vote in a way that hasn't been captured by Democrats and a few comedians aren't going to pick up the slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Potato Salad posted:

Being anti-Trump is one thing, but not doing the Colbert dry decoding of red hypocrisy is another.

People don't tune into the Late Show for detailed comparisons of health care policy over thirty years. Trump is already deeply unpopular even without comedians, and he seems more sensitive to criticism than, say, Paul Ryan.

That's actually what makes this moment in history so weird, the most prominent guy in Washington is uniquely narcissistic and overly concerned with his own image. Far more than any real politician that would just shrug off the late night hosts.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trump lives in a media bubble though. He seems to only watch fox news and SNL, so unless his buds over at Fox and Friends, that he somehow manages to plop his rear end in front of every morning for several hours, decides to air one of Colbert's milquetoast bits Trump will never know about it.

Remember that President Toddler is the guy whose minders literally keep positive press about him on hand to show him in case he sees something negative and starts throwing a trump tantrum.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We know for a fact that Trump watches a bunch of CNN and MSNBC and he's launched attacks at people like Stewart and Oliver in the past. Not to mention we know the guy is on Twitter and responds to poo poo people tweet at him.

Like, the entire point of your "they have positive press to distract him from negative" is that he doesn't stay in his bubble and constantly gets pissed at stuff people are saying about him.

edit: I'm not suggesting that Colbert is going to get Trump beaten in 2020. Just that one of the biggest things we know about Trump is that he's always seeking out people who talked bad about him so he can yell back at them.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
To be fair, Colbert did do 'The Word' on monday's show. As 'Stephen Colbert'

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Who, he is quick to inform the Lawyers, is not "Stephen Colbert" but "Stephen Colbert"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's also not 'The Word', it's 'The Werd'.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He does a bird show?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
No episode this week, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neeksy posted:

No episode this week, right?

Correct.

Also no exclusive web content yet. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's tons of zebra videos appearing on youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1q4Z72dJPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0E69tNNNeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3eJah-cEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRl4f15hLtM

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pay close attention and you'll see a familiar friend halfway through this one too. I've been following this guy for a while and was kind of surprised to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qn9w-a2ok

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's tons of zebra videos appearing on youtube now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3eJah-cEU
:perfect:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm cold about all these "throw the zebra into a random movie clip" ones but that Spicer one is perfect, exactly what was intended, and an rear end load of work.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Ali Aces posted:

Pay close attention and you'll see a familiar friend halfway through this one too. I've been following this guy for a while and was kind of surprised to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qn9w-a2ok

Ok, I like that channel's concept and presentation, except for the loving half silver paint

Why the hell does he do that? It's so drat off putting that I want to see what else he does but I don't know if i can stand seeing that

e: NEVERMIND. HES AMAZING. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLyGe49vjnw

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 1, 2017

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ok, I like that channel's concept and presentation, except for the loving half silver paint
I had the same feeling but kinda stopped noticing it after the first couple of CD videos I watched

I'm sure the effort it takes him to do it can't be worth the people it drives away, tho

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I, for one, can't wait for the potential "SENPAI USED MY VIDEO" squee-ing tonight. :3:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that was a sick jacket

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Best episode to date. Not the most informative, but the best for sure.

E: oh, and I gotta add that "punch it in the puss" likely referred to its face, but is no less funny in the context of the present day Stupid Watergate scandal.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 3, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I was really hoping that goons WWF zebra vid was on the show. I watched that again today and it was still hilarious.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sivart13 posted:

I had the same feeling but kinda stopped noticing it after the first couple of CD videos I watched

I'm sure the effort it takes him to do it can't be worth the people it drives away, tho

It was a little off-putting at first, but I genuinely enjoy his content so much that it now has a nice charm about it.

Now, he kinda looks weird without it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Did not care about the main story but this episode was loving hilarious

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Veskit posted:

Did not care about the main story but this episode was loving hilarious

Even after learning it's used as a legal bludgeon disproportionately against people of color? :raise:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Even after learning it's used as a legal bludgeon disproportionately against people of color? :raise:

That's kind of a given with almost any topic.

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Why the hell does he do that? It's so drat off putting that I want to see what else he does but I don't know if i can stand seeing that

e: NEVERMIND. HES AMAZING. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLyGe49vjnw

Silver paint? I think you're confused sir. If you watch some of his other videos you'll realize that the Captain wears a flesh colored half-mask to make his appearance more palatable to humans. You can see him stick his finger under it in a few episodes. The "silver paint" is his actual skin, you dirty space racist.

Also, Captain Disillusion is one of the best things on YouTube and everyone should check him out.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

Silver paint? I think you're confused sir. If you watch some of his other videos you'll realize that the Captain wears a flesh colored half-mask to make his appearance more palatable to humans. You can see him stick his finger under it in a few episodes. The "silver paint" is his actual skin, you dirty space racist.

Also, Captain Disillusion is one of the best things on YouTube and everyone should check him out.

That video I posted made up for everything paint related just by itself

I subscribed to his patreon just so I could get the behinds the scenes stuff and the videos he has about his process is very interesting. Theres also another amazing video there in response to people :qq:ing over the racism bits of the muhallah (or whatever) effect video where he begins awkwardly trying to word an apology for it and it turns out to be a sardonic piece where he apologizes for using the wrong effect while mocking the racists :allears:

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 5, 2017

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

These were all things that were talked about to death when weed started being legalized so nothing was a surprise. Zebras were a surprise, that's a great topic.

also you have to learn it. I guess you were one of the white people. I wasn't.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 5, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Welcome Welcome Welcome

Just enough time for a quick recap of how I'm getting tired of the way this show opens every week with something to do with Donald Trump.

:sad:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Veskit posted:

These were all things that were talked about to death when weed started being legalized so nothing was a surprise. Zebras were a surprise, that's a great topic.

also you have to learn it. I guess you were one of the white people. I wasn't.

Just checking, I've been against the prison-industrial complex for quite some time. Can't see how you can't give a poo poo about weed and be in favor of prison reform, that's a massive part of the problem.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

Omg yes! I have been watching him since I was a baby undergrad. He is so great. I have used his videos to demonstrate critical thinking to students from places where it is not typically taught in school. So cool to see other people enjoy his videos!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So uh

whose A+ for dummies book was on the shelf in the background of the Obama clip

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

AndyElusive posted:

Welcome Welcome Welcome

Just enough time for a quick recap of how I'm getting tired of the way this show opens every week with something to do with Donald Trump.

:sad:

Impossible to ignore completely but they don't want to dedicate a whole episode to it. Seems fine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shugojin posted:

So uh

whose A+ for dummies book was on the shelf in the background of the Obama clip

Obama training for life after the presidency

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tree Dude posted:

Impossible to ignore completely but they don't want to dedicate a whole episode to it. Seems fine.

Actually, it is possible to ignore completely. All you have to do is not bring it up and boom, it's ignored. Yeah, Trump jokes write themselves and John's not going to lose any viewers dunking on him, but don't pretend that he's hamstrung by the news or anything. It's a comedy show, it can cover whatever it wants.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Ugh. This show is getting too political.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Venuz Patrol posted:

Ugh. This show is getting too political.

That's not what anyone was saying, but thanks for playing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Baronash posted:

Actually, it is possible to ignore completely. All you have to do is not bring it up and boom, it's ignored. Yeah, Trump jokes write themselves and John's not going to lose any viewers dunking on him, but don't pretend that he's hamstrung by the news or anything. It's a comedy show, it can cover whatever it wants.

But then we get into the circle jerk of an argument over whether or not ignoring it is normalizing it. I'm cool with how John Oliver handles it, and the now-routine "ain't nobody got time for that" on Daily Show is on point.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Liberals worry too much about normalizing. The point is John obviously doesn't want to make Trump the whole show but his obligatory Trump joke is about how tired he is of Trump jokes.

He could open the show with "Welcome, I'm John Oliver, and gently caress Donald Trump." And it would be as obligatory, as (un)funny, and it would get the obvious out of the way and let him talk about the things he wants to talk about.

The difference between being on HBO and hosting, say, The Tonight Show is not worrying about talking about what interests you instead of whatever is popular.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oliver himself advocated how it was critical to not let Trump's constant barrage of stupid poo poo become a normal thing. He's practicing what he preached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I mean, the show is called LAST WEEK TONIGHT. Kinda has to talk about what happened in the week.

• Locked thread