Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Party Boat posted:

Isn't this relatively easy to resolve by upping wages to min wage and also offering workers food / clothing / accommodation at below market rates instead of providing them "free"?

Edited for quotation marks around free, no need to be so hostile.

Sorry dude, that was directed at Breath Ray, not you :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

Theresa May's reign has been gently caress up after gently caress up, unpopular policy after unpopular policy. The only thing she's doing that people like is Hard Brexit. From Grammar Schools to the NI raise for the self-employed, toadying up to Donald Trump, the relatively common U-turns after less than a year in office. With a better opposition that wasn't more interested in its own in-fighting, she's right there for the taking.

That's wishful thinking. Thatcher's government also enacted unpopular policy after unpopular policy, with plenty of U-turns despite the rhetoric, and they were there for 18 years. They eventually fell only because sleaze scandals - not policies - undermined them, the press abandoned them, and the LibDems were popular. At some point people have to face the fact that we have FPTP and Labour cannot win seats in large areas of the country. Couldn't under Blair, couldn't under Jesus.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tigey posted:

Yeah - I am getting the distinct feeling that May's honeymoon from the right wing/centrist media is now officially over now that Article 50's been triggered and its happening (rather than it being something everyone could project their own wishes/fantasies onto). Cold hard reality is beginning to set in and the number of negative articles are increasing.

Whilst the Mail/Express et al will happily go along with the inevitable "Vengeful Brussels/Germans/French STITCH UP BRITAIN!" narratives, I'm fairly confident they are also going to turn on May - nothing she can do in these negotiations (short of an all out nuclear attack on every EU capital) will be strong enough to satisfy them.

Well it's definitely gonna be a while before things really bite, even the first major disagreement will probably be painted as something that will be resolved by negotiating acceptable terms in other areas. David Davis will do his job of looking casual and cuddly and saying "everything will be fiiiiiine" and the right-wing press will push some DESPERATE EU TRIES TO BULLY BRITAIN angle

But at some point the broader deal will start to take shape, there'll be too many deflected questions and some of the bigger promises will look like they've been cut loose. A lot of people are going to be unhappy, and it'll be interesting to see how far the press takes things - I'm sure the Express would see the UK sinking beneath the waves in flames so long as the last person dies holding the immigrant door closed, but yeah it feels like some of the others would be really unhappy with some of the compromises that'll be made

It's gonna be a real shitshow though - get ready for a lot of chest-beating and Churchill analogies

Tesseraction posted:

Now that article 50 is triggered it's a case of which party is pushing for the better policies in the deal. Now, having watched that May interview on Wednesday be a total car crash I was hoping that Corbyn would stomp her in the rebuttal interview... but despite some strong moments he mostly just puttered on what should've been a slam dunk, especially given Brillo's obvious contempt for May.

I think he (and Labour in general) are trying to stay on message - not down on Brexit happening, wanting it to work out, but promising to hold the government to account over the specifics of the deal. At this stage it's probably counterproductive to suddenly move straight to 'this will be bad and the Tories are gonna gently caress it up'. Which is true, but they're trying to look objective and criticise the deal itself. They've sounded pretty aggressive on, like, the repeal bill

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It's also worth drawing a distinction between people who are homeless because of mental health problems and people who have mental health problems because they are homeless.

It's far too easy in austerity-plus society to go from job lost to benefits sanctioned to can't make rent to couch surfing to being trapped outside the sphere of 'normalcy', and I'd be amazed if anyone could deal with that for any period of time without developing some degree of stress-induced illness, so a good amount of homelessness related mental health issues could be dealt with simply by providing a home, a fixed address where you can sleep, store stuff safely, and receive correspondence.

The charity provides this according to the article.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

What do you as a brexiteer want out of this process?

Ideally: for us to leave the EU but remain in the single market and spur an internal realisation of need for proper beneficial reform within the EU.

More realistically: for us to have a less-optimal-but-still-bearable trade deal and some pragmatic reorganisation of the EU towards solving its fundamental identity crisis. Most likely still deckchairs on a titanic as long as the Eurozone continues apace.

What I'm not looking forward to: May being such a colossal dumbshit that we end up on WTO rules and the EU giving us a punishing retaliation on top of it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Oh dear me posted:

What mess?

I don't think 2020 was ever winnable without an electoral pact because the LibDems are still electoral poison, which hands the Tories a stack of western seats. But the Brexit referendum handed the Tories a whole lot more support. They're doing something the country likes, that dominates news cycles, and that will take at least 2 more years, and they are the obvious party for Brexiters to support because the opposition contains more Remainers. UKIP is now pointless, so Tories are no longer flanked on the right. They're in a fantastic position.

We're still the only party to have more seats now than after the 2015 election. :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

I think he (and Labour in general) are trying to stay on message - not down on Brexit happening, wanting it to work out, but promising to hold the government to account over the specifics of the deal. At this stage it's probably counterproductive to suddenly move straight to 'this will be bad and the Tories are gonna gently caress it up'. Which is true, but they're trying to look objective and criticise the deal itself. They've sounded pretty aggressive on, like, the repeal bill

Oh I agree, but when asked simple questions like "so you don't differ from the Tories on this policy?" he'd warble instead of talk about how Labour is more interested in maintaining trade relations even outside of an optimal deal whereas May was just saying "FOUR FREEDOMS: BURN THE IMMYGRUNTS"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

We're still the only party to have more seats now than after the 2015 election. :colbert:

What percentage of the seats prior to that election is your current tally?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Isn't this relatively easy to resolve by upping wages to min wage and also offering workers food / clothing / accommodation at below market rates instead of providing them "free"?

Edited for quotation marks around free, no need to be so hostile.

I expect the charity to have considered your suggestion so perhaps their business case found this way worked better. As mentioned I'd be more comfortable if people were paid but there are few Easy answers in homelessness. The new bill and the bob blackman thing are encouraging though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TinTower posted:

Gotta be honest, that would be some pretty impressive spin if everybody suddenly forgot 2010-2015.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Would someone please post people's ratings for this thread? While it has some flaws that I will address when I take over tonight I was surprised that currently it is only rated a 2. I'd give it 4 I think.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Theresa May's reign has been gently caress up after gently caress up, unpopular policy after unpopular policy. The only thing she's doing that people like is Hard Brexit. From Grammar Schools to the NI raise for the self-employed, toadying up to Donald Trump, the relatively common U-turns after less than a year in office. With a better opposition that wasn't more interested in its own in-fighting, she's right there for the taking.

No one will want leadership until Brexit is signed and over and done with.
She was the sacrificial lamb, whether she knew it or not, when she stepped up to take over. No one else wanted it that badly apart the extreme nutters like loving Gove and loving Boris.
She was the least worst of the group who wanted it, same as Trump.
Her legacy was written from the beginning, she is the PM who signed Brexit, and no other Tory has the balls to take that over.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think you are being too pessimistic about Brexit and its consequences for the PM personally

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

More realistically: for us to have a less-optimal-but-still-bearable trade deal

It's probably going to be just this.

Hopefully.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh dear me posted:

That's wishful thinking. Thatcher's government also enacted unpopular policy after unpopular policy, with plenty of U-turns despite the rhetoric, and they were there for 18 years. They eventually fell only because sleaze scandals - not policies - undermined them, the press abandoned them, and the LibDems were popular. At some point people have to face the fact that we have FPTP and Labour cannot win seats in large areas of the country. Couldn't under Blair, couldn't under Jesus.

Nah, this is some heavy defeatist bollocks. Theresa May is not Margaret Thatcher. She is no undefeatable behemoth. Especially now the honeymoon is over and Article 50 has been triggered. Of course, some seats aren't winnable for Labour. Some aren't winnable for the Tories either. So? Hardly seems like a good excuse for just giving up. Better to fight for 280-300 winnable seats than just giving in & giving the Tories some massive loving majority to really gently caress the poor over.

FYI, if not for some unpopular dickheads in Argentina deciding on an invasion of the Falklands & South Georgia combined by the idiot Labour right splitting off to perform electoral suicide as the Lib-SDP alliance, Thatcher's government was there for the taking in '83.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Thatchers govt didn't last 18 years!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/847780132156829701

Labour would lose eight seats
Tories would gain seven and lose two
Lib Dems would win three

This is especially brutal polling when you consider the top labour team are all based in London.

Also:

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/847804884279853058

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Savage

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
FAO especially jabby, Prince John: further to the Alexander Blackman discussion the other day, someone pointed this out from the first appeal judgment:

quote:

This was, in our view, a very unfortunate circumstance. It was not possible two years after the killing of the insurgent to diagnose whether the appellant was in fact suffering from combat stress disorder, but the circumstances to which we have referred may have meant that any combat stress disorder was undetected.

So over three years the CMAC have flipped on a dime over whether Blackman could have been diagnosed with adjustment/combat stress disorder after the fact.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Are some of us still at the 'the polls are wrong' stage or is it that it doesn't matter because 'it's four years until an election'?

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Are some of us still at the 'the polls are wrong' stage or is it that it doesn't matter because 'it's four years until an election'?

Have some of us decided who we'd rather see as Labour leader yet?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Benjamin Arthur posted:

I'm not sure about anyone else but if you're asking me then it's simple: I want Corbyn to remain leader until the general election.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Yorkshire Evening Post posted:

'Biggest protest in Leeds for 17 years' this weekend

NHS campaigners have organised the biggest demonstration seen in Leeds since the millennium this Saturday.

Thousands of people are expected to descend on the city centre on April 1 to protest against NHS cuts and demand more funding for healthcare.

Several campaign groups from across Yorkshire, including Save Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, have joined forces for the event, which will see rail services into Leeds taken over as 'protest trains'.

Causes for concern include the closure of mental health facilities in York, the downgrading of hospital services in Dewsbury and Barnsley, an increase in spending on private ambulances in Sheffield and the reduction in bursaries for student nurses and midwives.

Junior doctors and GPs are also expected on the march alongside patients and representatives from unions Unite, GMB and Unison.

Organisers have promised the march will have a 'lively and positive' atmosphere, with music provided by the PCS samba band, Unite's brass band and local folk musicians. There will also be a flashmob choir.

The demonstrators will gather at 10.30am in Victoria Gardens outside Leeds Art Gallery, before moving off at 12.15pm along a route that covers the Headrow, Vicar Lane, Boar Lane and Briggate.

After arriving back at Victoria Gardens at around 1.15pm, there will be a rally with speakers including retired Leeds paediatrician Dr John Puntis, Save Huddersfield RI chair Mike Forster, paramedic Ali Brown and MP Tracy Brabin.

The protest will end at 2pm.

I'll be there, come if you have time/are in the area. Should be a blast.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Some of us have decided that Keir Starmer, Lisa Nandy or Clive Lewis would be better leaders. Can't speak for Flaps though. Bench isn't deep and that remains a problem, and yet we can still have a slightly left leaning Labour leader who can't do any worse than Corbyn. Hell, I'd welcome Ed Miliband back with open arms at this point.

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not sure about anyone else but if you're asking me then it's simple: I want Corbyn to remain leader until the general election.

Why? If the answer is anything other than "so I can say I told you so" I'd really like to understand the logic

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Some of us have decided that Keir Starmer, Lisa Nandy or Clive Lewis would be better leaders. Can't speak for Flaps though. Bench isn't deep and that remains a problem, and yet we can still have a slightly left leaning Labour leader who can't do any worse than Corbyn. Hell, I'd welcome Ed Miliband back with open arms at this point.

Whats the point in a "slightly left leaning" Labour leader on a political spectrum where neoliberlism dominates the centre? Theres not really much opposition in advocating policies that essentially entrench the status quo.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

Why? If the answer is anything other than "so I can say I told you so" I'd really like to understand the logic

Because if he leaves before the next election labour will be haunted by 'Jezza would have won'.

He's shat the bed. He must lie in it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

Hell, I'd welcome Ed Miliband back with open arms at this point.

so would pissflaps and Miliband got us a tory majority

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Cue in Gibraltar's citizens used as negotiating chips.

quote:

After lobbying from Spanish diplomats, a clause has been inserted in the EU’s draft Brexit negotiating guidelines that appears to allow Spain to exclude Gibraltar from any transitional single market access arrangement or future trade deal with the UK if it is not satisfied with the status of the territory.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/future-of-gibraltar-at-stake-in-brexit-negotiations

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

This is especially brutal polling when you consider the top labour team are all based in London.

Also:

https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/847804884279853058

london is full of cunts

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

london is full of cunts

Cunts who voted labour until recently.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

FAO especially jabby, Prince John: further to the Alexander Blackman discussion the other day, someone pointed this out from the first appeal judgment:

So over three years the CMAC have flipped on a dime over whether Blackman could have been diagnosed with adjustment/combat stress disorder after the fact.

The conclusion of the appeal judgement pretty decisively states the court agreed Blackman was suffering from combat stress disorder though, and the prosecution subsequently did not contest that issue after the appeal

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

Cunts who voted labour until recently.

And we voted against brexit
If we're going to tar huge swathes of the population with the count brush, there are probably better targets. But we'd be better off not doing that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

Cue in Gibraltar's citizens used as negotiating chips.
Give Gibraltar back to Spain. Give Ceuta and Melilla and those other little ones back to Morocco. Recognize Moroccan sovereignty over western Western Sahara. Give eastern Western Sahara to the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic. Give the western Canary Islands that are mostly full of Brit tourists and businesses anyway to the UK.

That way everyone comes out with about as much as they had before and we can write off the whole mess.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Because if he leaves before the next election labour will be haunted by 'Jezza would have won'.

He's shat the bed. He must lie in it.

Surely one could simply point to his current polling to dispel the haunting, unless his successor somehow manages to be worse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/richardbranson/status/847780587570167808

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, this is some heavy defeatist bollocks. Theresa May is not Margaret Thatcher. She is no undefeatable behemoth. Especially now the honeymoon is over and Article 50 has been triggered. Of course, some seats aren't winnable for Labour. Some aren't winnable for the Tories either. So? Hardly seems like a good excuse for just giving up. Better to fight for 280-300 winnable seats than just giving in & giving the Tories some massive loving majority to really gently caress the poor over.

FYI, if not for some unpopular dickheads in Argentina deciding on an invasion of the Falklands & South Georgia combined by the idiot Labour right splitting off to perform electoral suicide as the Lib-SDP alliance, Thatcher's government was there for the taking in '83.

When did I suggest giving up? You're the one who's apparently willing to accept Keir loving Starmer as Labour leader.

Your FYI is basically my argument, but offered as though it disagreed with me. Thatcher could have lost if she did not have the support that comes from a popular issue dominating the news and if she wasn't helped by the current configuration of minor parties weakening the opposition more than the Tories. I'd add media support as another important factor but otherwise that's pretty much what I said. Those things are favourable for the Conservatives at the moment and likely to remain that way until after 2020.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dyslexia is genetic in case anyone was wondering, so yes this is an extremely weird case of eugenics.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

This is an April Fools joke someone messed up the Twitter scheduling on, right? ...Right?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

happyhippy posted:

She was the least worst of the group who wanted it

It's depressing how true this is. Can you imagine this poo poo under Gove. May's deluded enough promising the loving moon, Gove would be even more of a complete loving trainwreck - if that were possible. Fox was too toxic, even by Tory standards, Javid and Crabb too ineffectual, and Leadsome was basically May if May had no vocal filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Breath Ray posted:

Surely one could simply point to his current polling to dispel the haunting, unless his successor somehow manages to be worse.

Also it's irrelevant to how a new leader does, who would be better off having more time to put their stamp on the party.

So basically Pissflaps is a red Tory who wants to ensure the left dies on the altar of centre-right politics, which I'm sure is news to everyone in this thread.

• Locked thread