Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Run towards the Rito town until you're speedboosting, charge it, and shinespark up to the flying Divine Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

well why not posted:

Metroid game with the BoTW engine except it's a 2D runner w/ microtransactions.

Metroid as Space Harrier? Oddly enough, I could see it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Spergatory posted:

It's kind of nice of the game not to trigger Blood Moons while you're in Hyrule Castle. If one comes up, the game will do the ambient effects and turn the sky red, but it won't play the cutscene or respawn anything. You'll get a Blood Moon the first night you spend outside of the castle though.

That one guy who got a Blood Moon during the Ganon fight had to have triggered a Glitch Moon, because it reset him outside the fight. Glitch Moons reset the game world completely, including your position in it, to the nearest "safe" place. In a normal Blood Moon, when the cutscene ends, you're exactly where you were, doing exactly what you were doing before. I've gotten a Blood Moon while using Magnesis to beat a Guardian to death, had the cutscene end, and came back still holding the box above the Guardian's head, its health exactly where I left it. A Glitch Moon while doing the same thing moved me back to the place where I "entered" the region and despawned the box completely. Glitch Moons can seemingly happen anywhere at any time, so I kind of want to know exactly what triggers them.

Consensus seems to be that the game is triggering a Blood Moon in an attempt to reset the world because something hosed up. Consensus also indicates that if you get a bunch of these in a row, it's time to exit the game and relaunch it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

well why not posted:

This would be super cool and an awesome fit for a top-down ALBW followup. I really hope we don't lose '2D' Zelda games now that both handhelds consoles are obsoleted by the Switch.

Yeah, I agree. I loved Link Between Worlds and I'd love another Zelda game in that vein. Though maybe go for the Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks visual style next time instead.

I'd bet they'll release another 2D Zelda for the Switch at some point. I know there's at least one indie Switch game that's meant to be played in handheld mode, and I'd be surprised if Nintendo never made a game for the Switch that is primarily meant to be played handheld. But even if they didn't, a top-down Zelda using the Toon Link style could work on a big TV much more easily than something using Link Between Worlds's style or 2D sprites.

EDIT: Also on my Switch wish list: Skyward Sword HD. Specifically with these changes: Fi only chimes in during dungeons if you specifically ask for help (and add a "Help me, Fi!" button, maybe on the d-pad); you have the option to turn off motion controls for flying and swimming. That's really all it'd need, I suspect. Though I actually haven't played much past the intro, I've heard the dungeons are pretty good, but ruined by Fi constantly telling you how to do everything.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 31, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I agree. I loved Link Between Worlds and I'd love another Zelda game in that vein. Though maybe go for the Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks visual style next time instead.

I'd bet they'll release another 2D Zelda for the Switch at some point. I know there's at least one indie Switch game that's meant to be played in handheld mode, and I'd be surprised if Nintendo never made a game for the Switch that is primarily meant to be played handheld. But even if they didn't, a top-down Zelda using the Toon Link style could work on a big TV much more easily than something using Link Between Worlds's style or 2D sprites.

VOEZ is the game you can't play on TV. It's 100% touchscreen so it makes sense.

Windwaker-style graphics being the 'Handheld' Zelda aesthetic makes a lot of sense for me. Less fancy effects and simpler textures, easily readable expressions etc would make it very neat. I mean, I'm still praying every day to Iwata-san for a Windwaker re-re-release so yeah.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Harrow posted:

Get the same team that did Blaster Master Zero and remake Legend of Zelda 2: Link Adventure.

Actually.......that would be kind of a cool follow up to BoTW. Royal Knight Link running around trying to repair the world under Zelda's direction/prepare for the next Calamity Gannon while the Yiga Clan trying to being Gannon back with his blood.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

well why not posted:

Windwaker-style graphics being the 'Handheld' Zelda aesthetic makes a lot of sense for me. Less fancy effects and simpler textures, easily readable expressions etc would make it very neat. I mean, I'm still praying every day to Iwata-san for a Windwaker re-re-release so yeah.

True Wind Waker remake (not just HD re-release) with a couple more dungeons and expanded/more involved optional islands... :unsmith: Dreaming is fun.

What I'd really love is for the next big Zelda game to revisit the Great Sea concept because it's a way Nintendo can follow up on Breath of the Wild's freedom of exploration, but with a very different setting so that it's a meaningfully different experience. That said I think they'd probably need to do something similar to Wind Waker's art style because I think looking at a bunch of semi-realistic ocean for a long time might get old a lot faster than Wind Waker's flat blue. It was fine in AC4: Black Flag, but that's because they put a ton of work into making a pretty and very realistic ocean, and I don't think that visual style is all that appropriate for Zelda. Maybe something like Breath of the Wild's Ghibli-esque style but with slightly more stylized environments and water?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I am glad to hear Breath of the Wild got patched. I would like to play it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I mean, they could just make what amounts to Windwaker 2 in the BotW engine. Return to the great sea, ramp up the black outlines and set sail for adventure.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

four shrines except they take away your powers instead of giving you them and then Ridley unceremoniously kicks you off the Great Plateau, damaging and breaking your Varia Suit and making you unable to screw attack back up

nope it's just federation force 2 with open world and online. you start at the plateau to collect resources to repair your jump jets that allow safe descent. something else about customizing your character to do specific things like heal or fire rockets who gives a poo poo I didn't play that mess.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dizz posted:

nope it's just federation force 2 with open world and online. you start at the plateau to collect resources to repair your jump jets that allow safe descent. something else about customizing your character to do specific things like heal or fire rockets who gives a poo poo I didn't play that mess.

all puzzles with orange glowing balls are the same, except now you're the ball!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

well why not posted:

I mean, they could just make what amounts to Windwaker 2 in the BotW engine. Return to the great sea, ramp up the black outlines and set sail for adventure.

I'd buy ocean adventure dlc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Speak of DLC, I wish they'd explain what the DLC is actually gonna be. It'd hard to fork over cash for something that's basically a mystery.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Phantasium posted:

all puzzles with orange glowing balls are the same, except now you're the ball!

All puzzles replaced with a quick soccer game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm holding off until there are more details, definitely. Really I want to know what Hard Mode will entail in the first DLC pack so I know whether I should wait to start a new playthrough until that comes out, or if it's not going to be very fun and there's no reason to wait.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't ever buy DLC until you know what it is.

lmao at Season Passes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phantasium posted:

Don't ever buy DLC until you know what it is.

lmao at Season Passes.

Well like, Mario Kart 8, we didn't know exactly what levels there were going to be but we knew there would be four new cups. Good enough information for a purchase.

With this it's like "there will be a new mode of some sort, and also a map feature of some kind. Finally there will be a new dungeon."

If it's anything like these other dungeons it will take 15 minutes to beat.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The number of blessing shrines is my biggest letdown with the game so far.

When I see a giant target painted on the side of a mountain that might as well say SHOOT LIGHTNING ARROWS HERE I should get an awesome puzzle to do as a reward, not get told "you solved the puzzle so here's your spirit orb."

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Idunno about you guys but if this DLC brought b ack Tingle I'd buy it in a heartbeat the same way I handled that Hyrule Warriors DLC

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The number of blessing shrines is my biggest letdown with the game so far.

When I see a giant target painted on the side of a mountain that might as well say SHOOT LIGHTNING ARROWS HERE I should get an awesome puzzle to do as a reward, not get told "you solved the puzzle so here's your spirit orb."

Those and combat shrines have to take up at least half of the total.

The best though are the trolling puzzle shrines. there was one map designer who loving loved his job.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there's five each of Minor, Moderate, and Major combat challenges, maybe six each. And I think there's roughly the same amount of "gift" Shrines, so they take up about 1/4 to 1/3.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The funniest blessing shrine was the one on skull lake

"The real trial was getting there" says the quest

Uh no I just glided down to it from the cliff next it

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I agree with whoever posted that they should do away with armor values and just have weapons that do a set amount of damage, with outfits giving various other bonuses (the knight armor's bonus being "damage reduction"). The difference between doing almost no damage and doing a frankly absurd amount of damage is a little too wonky in the current build, and makes increasing armor values way more important than increasing your health for anything besides the Master Sword. Upgrading for stronger/additional set bonuses or just stronger bonuses in general would make the Great Fairies a lot more rewarding than just increasing the defense value.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm actually interested to know exactly how many puzzle shrines there are (total number of shrines - combat trials - blessing shrines). Because whatever that number is, that should've been the total number of shrines. Well, maybe that plus four--there are four unique variants of the combat trials and I think that would've been fine (combat tactics tutorial in Kakariko, and then the three ways you can make cover for yourself with pillars, Cryonis, or Magnesis).

Then deal with the rest of the spirit orbs in the following ways:
  • Reduce the total number of spirit orbs the game needs. We didn't need 30 maximum hearts--20 would've been fine, with 10 slots always left open for temporary hearts--and dungeons could give a heart container and a stamina vessel. Do that and you can max out hearts and stamina with 76 spirit orbs instead of 120 (enough for the 13 hearts and 6 stamina vessels you wouldn't be getting from dungeons).
  • If there are somehow fewer than 76 shrines if we remove all the "blessing" shrines and most of the combat trials, then just have spirit orbs be rewards for some side quests to get up to that number of 76. Have anything that currently leads to a blessing shrine just spawn a spirit orb in a chest or something.
  • Dot a few more non-shrine fast travel pads around to make up for the thinner density of fast travel options.
There, now every shrine is unique and we haven't had to change the map layout, make any new shrines, or change any quests (except to just find and replace "shrine" with "blessing" or something in shrine quest dialog that directly refers to a shrine).

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

Those and combat shrines have to take up at least half of the total.

The best though are the trolling puzzle shrines. there was one map designer who loving loved his job.

The first blessing shrine I found was the one from doing the thing on top of Mt Lanayru and it's like, ok, yeah that's the equivalent of a shrine, so I didn't mind it. But some of the others have been total gimmies.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

parallelodad posted:

I think there's five each of Minor, Moderate, and Major combat challenges, maybe six each. And I think there's roughly the same amount of "gift" Shrines, so they take up about 1/4 to 1/3.

I'm pretty sure I counted eight Major Tests of Strength. It's nice to have that many for the purpose of farming Guardian weapons.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The best thing Hard Mode could do would be to Master Quest it up and give us a bunch of new, rearranged, legitimately mind-bending shrine puzzles.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Empire State posted:

Speaking of something gross, did anybody else dye their Zora armor red in loving memory of Link's special ladyfish?

i did because the headpiece reminds me of knuckles

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spergatory posted:

I agree with whoever posted that they should do away with armor values and just have weapons that do a set amount of damage, with outfits giving various other bonuses (the knight armor's bonus being "damage reduction"). The difference between doing almost no damage and doing a frankly absurd amount of damage is a little too wonky in the current build, and makes increasing armor values way more important than increasing your health for anything besides the Master Sword. Upgrading for stronger/additional set bonuses or just stronger bonuses in general would make the Great Fairies a lot more rewarding than just increasing the defense value.

That was me, and yeah, defense values just don't really need to exist.

In general, as I've gotten older and played more games, I've become more and more skeptical of RPG systems that have stats that do the same thing, or stats that feel "mandatory" and therefore don't represent any real choice for the player. For example, in Breath of the Wild, you have two ways to increase how much damage you can take: getting more hearts, or getting more defense from armor, food, or elixirs. In some games, like Guild Wars 2, defense versus raw health might be an interesting trade-off: defense might be more useful against direct damage, while having more health makes you better at surviving attacks that bypass defense, like poison or other status effects. It's not a ton of depth, but it's enough where I can understand why they're separate.

But there's nothing like that in Breath of the Wild, so getting more defense versus getting more hearts are both things you'll do and both contribute to you surviving more damage on top of one another. It leads to a situation where getting hit is a huge deal in the early game and rarely a concern in the late game, even against really strong enemies. That's not a great progression. Then you can add that to the game's other systems. That weapons behave consistently between the player using them and enemies using them (which, I should note, is something I like quite a lot) means that tough enemies need weapons that do a ton of damage, meaning those weapons do a ton of damage in the player's hands, too, and so high-level enemies need a ton of HP. It's an element of numeric inflation the game doesn't really need and that I don't think necessarily adds very much to its feeling of progression anyway. Does it really matter if an endgame Lynel has 1500 HP or 5000 HP to an early-game player whose weapon does 5 damage and breaks after 20 hits? Both are daunting, and when you're strong enough to deal with them, both are satisfying, even if you're using an endgame weapon that deals 20 damage instead of one that deals 60.

If there were no defense values and upgrading armor just unlocked more secondary effects, weapon damage could be much more precisely tuned to the player's health, and the enemy HP curve could be shallower, too. You only have your hearts to hide behind if you get hit, so you're never going to have Lynels doing quarter-heart damage, and you also don't need enemies who can one-shot you through 12 hearts just because you can reduce that to 2 hearts with armor later.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

spit on my clit posted:

i did because the headpiece reminds me of knuckles

Takoluka posted:

Empire State posted:

Speaking of something gross, did anybody else dye their Zora armor red in loving memory of Knuckles the Echidna?

ABSOLUTELY.

:hfive:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Wtf can you not climb Mt Agaat at all? Motherfuckers

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There are a good number of blessings that I don't mind since the environmental puzzle leading to it was legitimately neat, but it's kinda inconsistent with that. There are at least two I found just lying around while some sidequests led to puzzle shrines, and lock-key stuff like the dragons is kinda lame beyond the blue one.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Motto posted:

There are a good number of blessings that I don't mind since the environmental puzzle leading to it was legitimately neat, but it's kinda inconsistent with that. There are at least two I found just lying around while some sidequests led to puzzle shrines, and lock-key stuff like the dragons is kinda lame beyond the blue one.

I think the blessings are fine as a concept--if there's a good environmental puzzle leading to it, I don't mind not needing to do another puzzle to get my spirit orb--but there wasn't really any reason to have all of the shrine stuff surrounding it. All of that just adds time to the process. If they just spawned a chest with a spirit orb instead, it'd be functionally the same but just take less time (and not pad out the number of shrines).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

I'm actually interested to know exactly how many puzzle shrines there are (total number of shrines - combat trials - blessing shrines). Because whatever that number is, that should've been the total number of shrines. Well, maybe that plus four--there are four unique variants of the combat trials and I think that would've been fine (combat tactics tutorial in Kakariko, and then the three ways you can make cover for yourself with pillars, Cryonis, or Magnesis).

Then deal with the rest of the spirit orbs in the following ways:
  • Reduce the total number of spirit orbs the game needs. We didn't need 30 maximum hearts--20 would've been fine, with 10 slots always left open for temporary hearts--and dungeons could give a heart container and a stamina vessel. Do that and you can max out hearts and stamina with 76 spirit orbs instead of 120 (enough for the 13 hearts and 6 stamina vessels you wouldn't be getting from dungeons).
  • If there are somehow fewer than 76 shrines if we remove all the "blessing" shrines and most of the combat trials, then just have spirit orbs be rewards for some side quests to get up to that number of 76. Have anything that currently leads to a blessing shrine just spawn a spirit orb in a chest or something.
  • Dot a few more non-shrine fast travel pads around to make up for the thinner density of fast travel options.
There, now every shrine is unique and we haven't had to change the map layout, make any new shrines, or change any quests (except to just find and replace "shrine" with "blessing" or something in shrine quest dialog that directly refers to a shrine).

While I do like the idea of keeping more shrines unique (Some gift basket shrines felt more deserved than others, or lackluster in payoff for what you did to get it, etc) a high shrine count total was great because that means you have a sweet amount of upgrades even after only finding about half the shrines.

If you cut the shrine count in half, but more of them involved labyrinths, or spirit orbs involved sidequest chains, etc. It would mean going that much longer with less hearts/stamina, and no breather shrines for when you're trying to scrimp and save to get that 13th heart before you've climbed every single tower and know where everything is.

With the aid of hindsight, I'd definitely reach a higher orb count much faster the second time through, but cutting down the max hearts to "Just 20, because who needs 30 anyways?" alongside with a cut in upgrade resources themselves just hits people at both ends. Instead of taking longer to reach a shitload of hearts AND stamina because you went that extra mile, now you have to do 100% completion efforts to get even less payoff. A large part of the appeal of going the extra mile for the collectothon, is that it gives you an extra mile's worth of payoff. Rather than the more common standard of "You got all the bear asses! Now you can carry TWO weapons, wowie zowie! If you're real lucky you might work your way up to four!"

Fake edit: Oh right. Stuff like "Just toss them into a chest, we don't need a shrine for them" means less fast travel points. Which become the real reward once you hit a heart and stamina count you are comfortable with.

I'd take a 10 max heart count (with it still demanding 13 hearts for the Master Sword) over replacing shrines with treasure chests, or removing them from the map at all. gently caress it give me a shrine that's only got a half built puzzle and construction tape inside it with no reward, if it still functions as a brightly glowing in the distance landmark and fast travel point.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 31, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

Fake edit: Oh right. Stuff like "Just toss them into a chest, we don't need a shrine for them" means less fast travel points. Which become the real reward once you hit a heart and stamina count you are comfortable with.

That's why I also suggested adding more non-shrine fast travel pads around. Maybe if environmental puzzles and shrine quests that lead to blessings just spawn a chest, maybe that chest spawns on top of (and activates) a fast-travel pad like the ones outside the Ancient Tech Labs.

It'd be one thing if they'd established that only shrines (and towers) can be fast travel points, but there are those two non-shrine teleport pads already, so clearly that's not a rule. "If a spirit orb spawns, so does a fast travel pad" would be fine and still cut out all the time spent loading into and out of shrines just to get a spirit orb.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

I think the blessings are fine as a concept--if there's a good environmental puzzle leading to it, I don't mind not needing to do another puzzle to get my spirit orb--but there wasn't really any reason to have all of the shrine stuff surrounding it. All of that just adds time to the process. If they just spawned a chest with a spirit orb instead, it'd be functionally the same but just take less time (and not pad out the number of shrines).

Definitely. The load times in BOTW aren't terrible but it's pretty bad when it's just go in, load, pick up chest and orb, load again.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the shrine after the bird kids sure does remind me of Snake Eater.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I got the Master Sword in Twilight Princess and now I have found the good Zelda game inside of it. It's clear that they were doing the Ocarina of Time thing where you have to complete the first few Temples before the game opens up. The difference here though is that, while doing Deku Tree/Dodongo Cavern/Jabu Jabu takes around 5-6 hours depending on how familiar you are with everything, it took me something like 13 hours to hit the same point in TP.

That said, I'm at the point where there's lots of places to explore, mini-games to complete, bugs to find, etc. Plus as I mentioned earlier I turned the color saturation up on my tv so it actually looks quite pretty now.

I do find it kinda funny that they give you all these really cool combat moves, but then every enemy is so piss-easy you never have to actually use them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I need about 5k. Wandering around Death Mountain looking for nodes is working, but feels slow. Any recommendations for good areas or is it just a crapshoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, just did a rough count: if you remove all the Monk's Blessing and Test of Strength shrines, there would be 70 shrines. There are enough unique ways to handle Tests of Strength that I think adding four of them back in would be fine (one for the Kakariko combat tutorial, and one each for pillars, Magnesis, and Cryonis), bringing us up to 74.

There are 29 Monk's Blessing shrines. For the most part, all of those could just be replaced by a chest containing a spirit orb that transforms into a fast travel pad after you open it or something like that. That gets us up to 103 total spirit orbs. Come up with like one new shrine or one new type of Test of Strength (or, hell, just make a Super Test of Strength or something) and you're up to 104 total, which is exactly enough to get as many hearts and stamina wheels as you can in the current game if you included a free stamina vessel with the heart container you get in each main dungeon. And I really don't think I'd miss 16 fast travel points.