Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a very Federation thing to do to honor a non-proliferation treaty made with a state you haven't had diplomatic relations with for a generation, during which time you fight at least two wars and meet the borg

e: and then continue honoring it through the entire dominion war too

That phase shifting cloaking tech would've been cool to see in the Dominion War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That phase shifting cloaking tech would've been cool to see in the Dominion War.

A Founder would have grabbed one of those and beamed off with it straightaway

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Orv posted:

As long as it's still Jeremy Irons, just as a Romulan.

Stop reading my Dream Journal! :mad:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Has Discovery been revealed to be an elaborate prank yet?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Lightning Lord posted:

Has Discovery been revealed to be an elaborate prank yet?

Magic 8 ball says concentrate and ask again tomorrow

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bohemian Nights posted:

Magic 8 ball says concentrate and ask again tomorrow

But wait tomorrow is... *checks calendar*... aha

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, so, I was just watching Spectre of the Gun for the first time and....

I was utterly shocked by how UNBELIEVABLY loving CREEPY it was. I am just going to assume that this episode was made WELL before the film 'Wyatt Earp (which I've never seen) but I'm fairly sure it was both popular and cast its titular character in a very positive light. When in truth the Earps (and Doc Holliday) were probably a lot closer to how they were shown in this episode: dead-eyed psychotic murderers, that is to say.

But this episode is a GREAT example where the limited budget for the reason works *fantastically*. The town they are in is an illusion, and *literally* looks like a half-completed set (which is exactly what it is) with the buildings having just a front wall and no ceiling, or the color of the sky being a static apocalyptic red that looks just like the vanilla backdrop with red lighting that it is. But all of this unreality works *perfectly* in this episode. The bizarre, detached craziness of the Earps and Holliday only adds to this. The guy who plays Holliday just scared the poo poo out of me with like 2 minutes of screentime with McCoy. Rarely have I seen such bizarrely creepy menace. "Your Emergency sure is real.... *near-silent rasp of laughter while his face never move a centimeter but just trembles with rage. "Here. Ha ha. Take my bag."

That episode is so bizarrely creepy that it borders on Lynchian even though it predates Eraserhead by some 7 or 8 years. The whole thing is like some horrific nightmare.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apologies if this has been posted already..

HAAAAARRR--COOOUUUURRRRRTTTTTTT!

http://www.startrek.com/article/rainn-wilson-his-name-is-mudd-on-discovery

Rainn Wilson to reprise the role of Mudd!

Wonder who's gonna be Stella?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Apparently they did enough damage to get the Federation to abandon an entire technology tree.

Romulans got the short end of the stick with that arms race. Even super advanced cutting edge cloaking technology only fools standard federation sensors for half a episode.

Meanwhile, standard federation sensors can now detect individual humans from a different solar system.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Binary Badger posted:

Apologies if this has been posted already..

Wonder who's gonna be Stella?

Another TOS character showing up should be an annoyance, but I'm a-ok with anything Rainn Wilson.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What perfect casting. Now I wish Dwight were on the crew.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I can't be angry at that, it's just crazy enough to work and should be hella entertaining. Might as well, if we're doing this at all...

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I just default to hating all news about Discovery, but I have to admit love I Dwight in anything. I hope someone puts his phaser in jello.

Holy poo poo, that worked better than I thought it would.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Holy crap

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Angry Salami posted:

I like Voyager because the torpedo launchers and deflector give it a happy face. :buddy:

The Equinox is actually the coolest ship in 'recent' Star Trek.

Note the green and red navigation lights.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I just default to hating all news about Discovery, but I have to admit love I Dwight in anything. I hope someone puts his phaser in jello.

Holy poo poo, that worked better than I thought it would.

Just a general PSA that everyone in this thread should watch Super at least once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

The Equinox is actually the coolest ship in 'recent' Star Trek.

Note the green and red navigation lights.

Actually it's pretty crazy how much of an impact that tiny touch has. It makes the ship feel more like a ship, and also more human. Do any other Star Trek vessels have that feature?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Beep Beep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeRIe9WY-u8

Best ship coming through

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Binary Badger posted:

Oh yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nTlgM4tgWs

"f-f-f-five hundred.. ppppbbbbppptttttt!"

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 31, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Smooth and matte light-grey, checks out.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I wonder what happened to the 497 other Nagdroids

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nessus posted:

The Romulans just don't seem to be real big players, even if they're obviously not like... small, at least by the TNG/DS9 era. (They may have been relatively more impactful earlier.) I wouldn't be surprised if they had less political and economic clout than the Cardassians did.

I always got the impression that everything the Romulans do is designed around pretending that they're more capable than they are. They have big hollow ships that look much more massive than they are (like a puffer fish) and they use cloaking devices so you can't tell how many ships they have. That way they can put a ton of armament on each ship in a smaller fleet, but nobody knows how large the fleet is (in Way Of The Warrior, DS9 couldn't even keep track of how many Klingon ships were flying around just outside the window). Did the Romulans only contribute half the ships the Klingons or Federation did to the task force because they're keeping a bunch in reserve for after the war, or because they don't have any more to spare? Do we want to find out the hard way?

I still think they could probably beat the (pre-DS9) Cardassians in a war, but they keep to themselves because if they don't completely steamroll them like the Klingons did then there will be blood in the water and the other powers might start challenging them more openly.

Brawnfire posted:

I had assumed a hostile situation, so no sneaky cold-war stuff just classic pounce and smash. I feel like being literally surrounded by an enemy's vessel is a strategically poor time to begin firing weapons, but I'm not a starship captain.

Edit: Can a shield bubble stop a ship?

That seems like a lot of weapons to devote to blowing up smaller weaker ships (that are now inside your shields and you are now unprotected from, even just them exploding probably wouldn't do you any favors). If you get into it with a Galaxy class, you might wish you had more disruptors on the outside of the ship where they can shoot at things other than the other half of your own ship.

And shields can stop a ship coming in from the outside, but I'm not sure if they could stop one from leaving.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

vermin posted:

I wonder what happened to the 497 other Nagdroids

Beamed into the engine room of a passing Klingon battlecruiser, where they'll be no tribble at all.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Beamed into the engine room of a passing Klingon battlecruiser, where they'll be no tribble at all.

And thus began the final chapter of the Klingon Empire.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Aside from the massive design flaw of the main shuttlebay door being front and centre on the saucer ("AIM HERE"), I've just noticed it has 3 more shuttlebays along each side. What does a ship that small need with 7 shuttlebays? :confused:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Romulan warbird stuff

Would be neat if they had some sort of special dampening field that basically shut down the electronics of anything inside the denial zone between the hulls. That way, they'd be able to sneak up on smaller ships and sort of just go "Hi you're ours now". Then they can take prisoners, then falsify the ship's logs to say whatever you want, then leave the empty ship there to induce an interplanetary incident. Especially effective if nobody knows you can do this poo poo. Y'know, Just Romulan Things.

I like Romulans, I guess I may be fantasizing a bit much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

Aside from the massive design flaw of the main shuttlebay door being front and centre on the saucer ("AIM HERE"), I've just noticed it has 3 more shuttlebays along each side. What does a ship that small need with 7 shuttlebays? :confused:

Different ships have different roles, and if anything you'd think more ships would have huge cargo bay doors and poo poo. A huge door leading to a huge storage/shuttle/flex space would be extremely useful.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Brawnfire posted:

Actually it's pretty crazy how much of an impact that tiny touch has. It makes the ship feel more like a ship, and also more human. Do any other Star Trek vessels have that feature?

The NX-01 Enterprise does.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Orwell, probably posted:

Four nacelles good, two nacelles bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One nacelle :laffo:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Bloop posted:

One nacelle :laffo:

I love the Kelvin and I don't care who knows it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

slap me and kiss me posted:

Four nacelles good, two nacelles bad.

Gotta go fast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Four nacelles good, one nacelle better.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Different ships have different roles, and if anything you'd think more ships would have huge cargo bay doors and poo poo. A huge door leading to a huge storage/shuttle/flex space would be extremely useful.

How else would they transport things?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love the Kelvin and I don't care who knows it.

USS Cannoli

Edit: actually the Kelvin looks balanced, there are others out there that look like total rear end. Still seems to defy internal consistency but whatever

Orv
May 4, 2011

After The War posted:

Stop reading my Dream Journal! :mad:

We can't both have the same dream journal, it'll cause a paradox.

A paradox of Jeremy Irons, mmmmm.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I should probably defend My Bird of Prey best ship ever that's not the Connie Refit.

It is a ship that just in every way says agression, it showed that the Klingons from ST3 onward were a people who sought conflict and everything was about going forward and attacking, but also speed and grace. It resembles a body builder flexing when it moves its wings into attack posture, which is a good detail.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Peter David is the author of some of the better Star Trek novels. It seems he's run into a bit of trouble with the IRS and is now trying to crowd-source a bunch of money.

http://www.peterdavid.net/2017/03/31/i-am-in-desperate-trouble/

I figure what the heck, I've enjoyed his stuff over the years, I'll toss him a few bucks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Would be neat if they had some sort of special dampening field that basically shut down the electronics of anything inside the denial zone between the hulls. That way, they'd be able to sneak up on smaller ships and sort of just go "Hi you're ours now". Then they can take prisoners, then falsify the ship's logs to say whatever you want, then leave the empty ship there to induce an interplanetary incident. Especially effective if nobody knows you can do this poo poo. Y'know, Just Romulan Things.

I like Romulans, I guess I may be fantasizing a bit much.
It would make total sense for the Romulans to build a ship or two that could do what you're describing. It would not make sense to build your entire naval strategy around it. Eventually people would start wising up - "Hm, that's weird, this is the sixth mysteriously abandoned freighter/science ship that's had logs strongly suggesting malfeasance from a local group who are in negotiations with the Romulan Star Empire. Probably a coincidence."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Watching TOS. They are now on the planet of the cowboys.

They had the set didn't they? They had the set and they wrote the script around it. It is kind of eerie though that the inside of the saloon looks a lot like the horizon. Has a Twilight Zone feel to it.