Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think a sidequest changed my main menu screen which was pretty cool

?? You sure u didn't set a theme ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Skwirl posted:

20 pages back and communist as hell, but every single house and apartment in America has electricity and water, seems like we could also get them fiber optic cables. Wouldn't even need to go full communism because God knows there's a poo poo ton of private utility companies.

50Mbps down with no cap is considered a basic human right in my first world country :smug: I pay $100 per month for internet :qq:

PacoPepe posted:

A few pages back, someone said they got an auto-refund for south park.......so i went to the sony customer support chat and demanded a refund.....they did it instantly.
That means i played Stick of Truth for free and now i have money for Persona 5 or whatever.

This gave me the motivation to give it a try too. No resistance whatsoever.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 31, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

verbal enema posted:

?? You sure u didn't set a theme ?

I am talking about the game's main menu -- since I'm playing it on PC I see that a lot since I can't suspend/resume :v:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

HZD thoughts after 20 hours:
Good:
  • Absolutely gorgeous; maybe short of the top tier of PS4 engine tech (UC4, MSGV) but considering the stellar art design, up there with the best of them
  • Combat is as good as anything in this class short of the Souls games -- a superior implementation of The Witcher series' concept of using traps and buffs to level the playing field against enemies that would naturally outmatch you
  • No false moral choices; Aloy has a defined personality, primarily expressed in her sympathy with outcasts, and in situations where other games would present you with a perfunctory decision to either aid a person in need or scorn them because of their social status, HZD skips that and gets to the point
  • Expanding on that note, you begin the story being shunned from the local tribe at birth, but the quest-giving NPCs you meet don't give a poo poo about that and engage with you anyway; it's an ingenious way to both reflect that supposedly sacred social conventions are easily set aside when they get in the way of an individual's interests, and to serve as an actual in-world motivation for the majority of place-filling NPCs to have nothing to say when you interact with them
Mixed:
  • Voice and facial animations vary from best-in-class to weirdly off-putting
  • There's a great variety of weapons and elemental damage types, all fun to employ but the game doesn't do a great job of signifying what does what and when you need it; you're left to explore vendor stocks without much guidance
  • You'll spend a lot of time hunting for materials to craft quality-of-life upgrades like ammo capacity -- but that hunting is pretty fun and easy to do as you travel from place to place
  • Giant world padded with plenty of the marginally interesting collectibles common to open-world games that will compel a lot of players to waste time playing icon janitor -- the onus is on you to decide how much gameplay you want
  • Employs several well-worn, dated mechanics -- "detective vision" and quests that consist of following glowing trails, just-hold-up climbing, unveiling fogged maps by ascending to a specified tall point, a skill tree full of variations on one-button stealth kills -- but the implementations are about as good as anybody's
Bad:
  • There are two entirely different ways to heal in combat, you don't automatically heal by resting/entering a city or anything like that, and it feels like two different teams crafted those mechinics independent of each other and never reconciled
  • It's easy to aggro trash enemies when you're just trying to travel from place to place without any desire to get in a fight, and that's annoying in light of the fact that ...
  • Mounts are inconvenient -- you often have to go out of your way to get one, they control awkwardly and (unless I missed something) there's no way to heal them if they take some damage, which they will do as soon as a fight happens
Ultimately I won't argue that this tops Bloodborne as an exclusive or The Witcher 3 for the generation's RPGs but it absolutely belongs in the conversation for top 5 games of the generation and might be the PS4's best system-seller to normie audiences. Immediately recommended to anyone who doesn't have a strong pre-existing aversion to games of this type.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My girlfriend just bought me Horizon and she only paid £28 for it 🤑

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Two things I don't like about Horizon are just how swimmy the movement feels and how the camera kinda drifts so Aloy will start on one side of the screen and end up on the other even just running in what I feel like is a straight line.

Also coming off of Zelda, it's nuts how good HZD looks while also letting me way down in the traversal department. Zelda ran like poo poo, sure, but I wish Aloy could climb whatever and then hangglide down from it.

It has a great look and world though. Really digging uncovering the backstory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skwirl posted:

20 pages back and communist as hell, but every single house and apartment in America has electricity and water, seems like we could also get them fiber optic cables. Wouldn't even need to go full communism because God knows there's a poo poo ton of private utility companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

Also I don't think you understand the logistics involved in fibre node traffic on a state-wide or national scale. It's a whole lot more complex than copper ethernet.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Flummoxed by all the choices of good long-form games to play now that Yakuza is done, I'm tackling some old-assed backlog instead (ie buying time until P5 drops). Wolfenstein is pretty cool.

What I really need is a King of Fighters sale.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Godzilla07 posted:

The one weakness in the PS4 library is its lack of good racing games, and I'd like for this year's releases to fix that so I don't have to build a gaming PC.

Dirt 4 in June

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wipeout.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Skwirl posted:

The Telcos don't want to do this and when governments offered to do it themselves they paid off legislators to stop them

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Attitude Indicator posted:

If the devs of Horizon knew how to make a good game, why have they been making killzone games for forever?

because they hired some actual writers and gameplay people instead of just leaning on their tech prowess and hoping that would see them through.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

God drat Sony, I hate this console so much. Now Wipeout collection. I never played the PS1 games but I did play Wipeout Pure on my old rear end PSP and loved it. So now I'll add it to my wishlist wich is getting insanely big on this lovely console that in 2017 is gonna kill me.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

what was the wipeout game that was on PS+ on the ps3? That was a good game, is that in the collection?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Attitude Indicator posted:

what was the wipeout game that was on PS+ on the ps3? That was a good game, is that in the collection?

Wipeout HD and yes it is

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I couldn't find out but did Soma ever get fixed if you enable Boost mode?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

The one weakness in the PS4 library is its lack of good racing games, and I'd like for this year's releases to fix that so I don't have to build a gaming PC.

It's amazing that Gran Turismo isn't out yet.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's amazing that Gran Turismo isn't out yet.

Were you just MIA last generation when it came out literally 4 years after it was slated to release?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Were you just MIA last generation when it came out literally 4 years after it was slated to release?

I remember them releasing GT6 to die after the ps4 was launched. :laugh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Which was a shame since it was so much better and more polished than the mixed bag turd that was 5.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Why no port?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gotta be honest I wish it was a new Wipeout game and not just a collection of old ones :/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I wish they would do a quick port of GT6, I enjoyed it quite a bit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Gotta be honest I wish it was a new Wipeout game and not just a collection of old ones :/

A collection of old ones doing well first gives them something to point at and say "look, see, it's a viable project" for a new iteration.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lets hope so

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A collection of old ones doing well first gives them something to point at and say "look, see, it's a viable project" for a new iteration.

Sakurazuka posted:

Lets hope so

This is exactly what they did last gen with Sly Cooper, so it's plausible.

Edit: though now I think of it, I think Sucker Punch was already working on Sly 4 when they made the collection... Maybe it was more of a "let's drum up interest and remind people about a semi-obscure franchise before the new one hits" type deal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it weird that I'm super excited for Wipeout Omega Collection despite only playing Wipeout 64? I loved that game and it's so hard to find good arcadey racers anymore (continue to rip Burnout, Rush).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

I couldn't find out but did Soma ever get fixed if you enable Boost mode?

What did it do?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

veni veni veni posted:

What did it do?

Crashed the game.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

HZD thoughts after 20 hours:
Bad:
  • There are two entirely different ways to heal in combat, you don't automatically heal by resting/entering a city or anything like that, and it feels like two different teams crafted those mechinics independent of each other and never reconciled
  • It's easy to aggro trash enemies when you're just trying to travel from place to place without any desire to get in a fight, and that's annoying in light of the fact that ...
  • Mounts are inconvenient -- you often have to go out of your way to get one, they control awkwardly and (unless I missed something) there's no way to heal them if they take some damage, which they will do as soon as a fight happens
Ultimately I won't argue that this tops Bloodborne as an exclusive or The Witcher 3 for the generation's RPGs but it absolutely belongs in the conversation for top 5 games of the generation and might be the PS4's best system-seller to normie audiences. Immediately recommended to anyone who doesn't have a strong pre-existing aversion to games of this type.

Good write-up, agree with pretty much all of it. The last point in the Bad section is partially remedied by the skill that lets you whistle for mounts without having already acquired them, like just a random mountable will show up. Hell you could probably just kill them for scraps when you're done getting where you're going too, I haven't tried that but I bet it'd work.

The healing thing is weird, like I guess it makes sense in-game and all, but it'd probably be better if the potions were just added to the herb pouch or at least the could've made up on the d-pad use potions when you run out of herbs or something. It was less annoying when I didn't have a few of each resistance potion before realizing that meant a shitload of horizontal scrolling.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is just a guess on my part. But I'd be willing to bet it was just the medicine pouch at one point and people got frustrated that they couldn't find health, and instead of retooling the game they threw in Heath potions. It is very odd that there are two totally separate healing mechanics and the lame one invalidates the cool one for the most part.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Brightman posted:

The last point in the Bad section is partially remedied by the skill that lets you whistle for mounts without having already acquired them, like just a random mountable will show up. Hell you could probably just kill them for scraps when you're done getting where you're going too, I haven't tried that but I bet it'd work.
Yeah I wouldn't have any complaints if that skill wasn't at the bottom of a column I wasn't super interested in otherwise. Or if you could just buy mounts at settlements or big road junctions or something. Maybe to them it was an immersion thing -- you're a hunter-gatherer, you mostly live on foot -- but I'm not big on games trying to excuse QoL issues like that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

With goons saying that PS4 library lacks on a good selection of racing games, I went ahead and checked myself. It turns that yes, aside from Dirt Rally and the WRC games, there's not much to choose.

Feels really weird since I used to play Colin McRae Rally, Grand Turismo 1 and some others in a friend's years ago on his PS1 and he had shitloads of NFS games, rally and so on his PS2 later.

I think the PS4 could use some driving games like Euro Truck Simulator that let you plug a keyboard to use extra buttons and other sims like it to add some variety. Also Mashed with 4 player local mayhem.

Bring Mashed back from PS2 damnit.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I've been playing through HZD on hard so it may screw my outlook on it or not.

But I think they should have added rest spots in settlements that heal you fully. That would have made things a bit better at least for me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VoLaTiLe posted:

I've been playing through HZD on hard so it may screw my outlook on it or not.

But I think they should have added rest spots in settlements that heal you fully. That would have made things a bit better at least for me

Quickloading from a campfire will always heal you back to full.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Brightman posted:

Good write-up, agree with pretty much all of it. The last point in the Bad section is partially remedied by the skill that lets you whistle for mounts without having already acquired them, like just a random mountable will show up. Hell you could probably just kill them for scraps when you're done getting where you're going too, I haven't tried that but I bet it'd work.

You can absolutely do that, attacking a hacked robot will damage it (and make it revert to hostile).

quote:

The healing thing is weird, like I guess it makes sense in-game and all, but it'd probably be better if the potions were just added to the herb pouch or at least the could've made up on the d-pad use potions when you run out of herbs or something. It was less annoying when I didn't have a few of each resistance potion before realizing that meant a shitload of horizontal scrolling.

They should at the very least have made potions use the same heal over time system as herbs, right now they're just a quick get out of damage free button.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah I wouldn't have any complaints if that skill wasn't at the bottom of a column I wasn't super interested in otherwise. Or if you could just buy mounts at settlements or big road junctions or something. Maybe to them it was an immersion thing -- you're a hunter-gatherer, you mostly live on foot -- but I'm not big on games trying to excuse QoL issues like that.

You don't like combat overrides? To each their own, but I did override a single ravager once and it proceeded to kill 2 more, 2 bellowbacks, a longlegs, and numerous watchers. When I decided to put it down the drat thing almost killed me despite already having a limp and barely any health.

veni veni veni posted:

This is just a guess on my part. But I'd be willing to bet it was just the medicine pouch at one point and people got frustrated that they couldn't find health, and instead of retooling the game they threw in Heath potions. It is very odd that there are two totally separate healing mechanics and the lame one invalidates the cool one for the most part.

Honestly I have not had a problem finding medicinal herbs, they seem to be all over and concentrated around settlements especially.

haveblue posted:

You can absolutely do that, attacking a hacked robot will damage it (and make it revert to hostile).

Yeah, I'm just not sure if it'd drop loot or maybe make it so you couldn't call another one for a while or something since it's something you summoned instead of overrode in the wild.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 31, 2017

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Project Cars is alright if you're the kind of person who buys a racing wheel and pedals for your console, but I want a Sonic Racing sequel, or something fun and arcade-y.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I wish I had the option to fill my medical pouch at a vendor, especially when money becomes infinite. Its just a time tax to gather plants. Especially going rom 0 to 4 bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think I ever filled up more than one medicine pouch bar at a time, which made the upgrade skill kind of useless to me. Just bought full health potions since by the end of the game 80 shards + 2 metal vessels is super cheap.