Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
I have no clue how to use bbcodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Man, hearing that Song of the Ancients beat again is just a straight up injection of nostalgia to my main vain

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I absolutely adore the designs of the machine enemies. Especially the adorable wind-up-toy-like enemies. Those tiny guys aren't at all threatening, but bless them, they try.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

Meet the first boss of the game: [REDACTED]. 2B is not able to decipher the machine language, so we just get [ANGELIC TEXT] runes as a boss name.

Spoilers: This eventually changes in the second playthrough. But it’s not like NIER’s second playthrough where suddenly Tyrann was a party member translating the Shades’ language and revealing we’re being kind of a huge dick. It’s just boss names having a naming theme of philosophers. In this case Marx. As in Karl Marx.

Now, this game will have some deep philosophical questions on the nature of what it means to be alive and what is a soul and what not. But the boss names? The machines just did that for funsies. So I don’t care about spoiling that one early.
The interesting thing about that boss name is that it looks to be written in a variant of the Hebrew script, except with vowels and a left-to-right order. Maybe it's instead based off Yiddish, which actually has explicit vowels, but at this point we just have A to work with. (Hebrew is known as an abjad, which means that vowels are generally implied based on context rather than being denoted by any explicit marks.) In particular the second character is a fairly obvious aleph, which corresponds to the Latin A. Nearly all of the world's scripts derive from just two or three sources, so any connection between Latin and Hebrew is likely not a coincidence.

So the weird thing is that X = /ks/ is an unusual construction that English and some other languages purloined from Latin and Etruscan, which in turn swiped a simplification from some regional Greek dialects that just wrote X = /ks/ instead of the more formal XΣ (or Ξ, known as "Xi") for that. Hebrew was in a completely different language family, so as a result its script doesn't really have a singular character to represent that digraph. Writing out "Marx" with the proper phonetics would likely be Mem-Aleph-Resh-Kaph-Shin, but that's one more character than intended for what seems at the moment to just be a substitution cipher with the Latin script. Instead the designers probably went with some results that were close enough for the task, so in this case "MARX" is written out as Mem-Aleph-Resh-Shin. This would then be read either* as "Mars" with a soft s or "Marsh".

*That distinction on the pronunciation of Shin is where we get the term "shibboleth".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's Angelic, it's a thing, he uses it throughout the whole series.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's some 16th century dude named Agrippa's Celestial Alphabet. It's basically hebrew with circles on the ends of the lines and a bit of Greek to pad it out to 22 characters.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 31, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And so it begins, the war against the murderous Android phone logos.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I cant believe this is happening, I was so bummed over you not doing this, and you even started it on my god drat birthday, THIS IS THE BEST PRESENT!
I'm so glad I didnt actually get into the game and finish it first, this will be even better now.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

It's some 16th century dude named Agrippa's Celestial Alphabet. It's basically hebrew with circles on the ends of the lines and a bit of Greek to pad it out to 22 characters.
Really? Huh, apparently it shows up in the Drakengard games as well and I never noticed. :ms:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

IIRC, angelic showed up as the black scrawl letters in the original nier.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, I seem to remember that either the cosmic eggs from Drakengard or the characters in Nier's magic had the letters for GTCA, aka the human genome types.

Also obligatory :ussr:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ManlyGrunting posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember that either the cosmic eggs from Drakengard or the characters in Nier's magic had the letters for GTCA, aka the human genome types.

Also obligatory :ussr:

It was the stuff rotating around the Shades IIRC.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Will you show one of best things in the game - petting the pod?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

From update 1-B

quote:

The final challenge of this segment is a new enemy... kinda. I mean, they just sort of tapped five of the flying saucers together.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Also if you're playing on hard mode, all of these guys 2 shot you. The mini-boss can 1 shot you with the horizontal sweep, as well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd collect toys of those little robots. They're really simply designed but that just makes them all the cuter.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

The Dark Id posted:

What I feel is personally the best counter is using the Pod’s shot, which converts it into an AOE charged shot that will absolutely wreck and stun most common enemies. It’s by far the most reliable of the lot and is frankly, to use technical terminology, “loving rad”.

Fun fact about the pods is they don't tell you that there ARE combination attacks with them. If I remember correctly, hitting jump and the pod primary fire button at the same time in the air has the pod twirl you around and toss you at an enemy for some damage, while hitting light attack and the pod button at the same time in the air has the pod boost you for a small spinning upward kick. In fact, I'm sure I don't KNOW all the special attacks you might be able to do!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sweet, ground floor for the LP! I'm actually playing the game myself right now, so I can rest easy knowing I don't have to bother with completing all sidequests or nothing.

Also the game is pretty loving awesome and everybody here should play it themselves, beg borrow or steal if you have to.

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015

NHO posted:

What? gently caress off, I'm probably nier the end of the game and I didn't know you could do that.

I also didn't realize Pod 042 was Albert Wesker/Grimoire Noire. He really toned down the haminess while still remaining an engaging character.

I was also a fool who tried to play on Hard until I died 3 times right before the last bullet hell segment. I toned down to Normal, but I still got my rear end kicked for 40% of my playthrough.

My little brother and I both bought the soundtrack separately today on iTunes as soon as I found out it was available. I'm lucky I had about 20 dollars leftover from a giftcard I redeemed years ago.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Just finished all main endings this past week. It was a real ride and I'm happy to share it - at least in spirit - by hanging out ITT. :unsmith:

OmegaCake posted:

Fun fact about the pods is they don't tell you that there ARE combination attacks with them. If I remember correctly, hitting jump and the pod primary fire button at the same time in the air has the pod twirl you around and toss you at an enemy for some damage, while hitting light attack and the pod button at the same time in the air has the pod boost you for a small spinning upward kick. In fact, I'm sure I don't KNOW all the special attacks you might be able to do!

Jump + pod attack also covers some huge distance so you can use it as a third (fourth?) in addition to air weapon combo.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

OmegaCake posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty common quirk with Platinum's games; they tend to explain only the most surface level aspects of their combat systems and leave the players to figure out the rest.

I didn't find out about the long jump until the very end of my run, trying to get to a chest that I couldn't reach no matter what I tried. Had to look it up online, then felt like an idiot for never trying that.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

dis astranagant posted:

Is that a different thing than the Enochian language they use throughout Bayonetta?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is that a different thing than the Enochian language they use throughout Bayonetta?

Enochian is an actual (kinda) language that uses unique words and also its own alphabet. For example, one of Bayonetta's summons has her say AFAA TADAAG NEPTA, which translates to Sword of Dust.

The Celestial Alphabet is pretty much a codex, I guess? They're created separately and don't have much to do with one another. I don't think the Celestial Alphabet has any real dictionary translations, whereas Enochian does.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I've been practicing some of the more crazy combo stuff recently and the amount if weapon switching and other crazyness required to pull them off or skip areas of the game for speedrun purposes is kinda amazing.

Every time I come back to this game I find something new that I've missed.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They didn't waste time remixing Song of the Ancients. I expected it to show up for major boss fights, not in the first half hour of the game.

Not that I'm complaining. It's Nier's most iconic and probably best track, if not Drakengard's as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

They didn't waste time remixing Song of the Ancients. I expected it to show up for major boss fights, not in the first half hour of the game.

Not that I'm complaining. It's Nier's most iconic and probably best track, if not Drakengard's as well.

Drakengard's best and most iconic track was "Bell Tower Being Thrown Down a Flight of Stairs, in D-Minor."

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's gotta compete against that shattered fragment of a classical music compilation record that someone dug out of a dumpster and played backwards.

Lord Licorice
Dec 18, 2013

drr drr drr...

HenryEx posted:

Oh by the way, if anyone's ever wondered why 2B sounds kinda familiar to them, you might have been a retsupurae fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNREEEx6ZQ

... holy crap, you're blowing my mind. I thought it was cool when Dan McNeely Edwyn Tiong got a role in Freedom Planet, but this is a different level. She's also pretty amazing, especially the more emotional moments.

The Dark Id posted:

Any posts of Yoko Taro being an amazing weirdo is approved for this thread.

In that case, here's YT discussing his concerns of Atlus doing a new fantasy RPG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LT62mVaIpA

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Yeah, this is a pretty common quirk with Platinum's games; they tend to explain only the most surface level aspects of their combat systems and leave the players to figure out the rest.

I didn't find out about the long jump until the very end of my run, trying to get to a chest that I couldn't reach no matter what I tried. Had to look it up online, then felt like an idiot for never trying that.

It took me like sixty hours of play to realize that briefly pausing after the first press of the attack button would change the combo you were about to begin. I'd been confusing it with neutral/moving stances. (I've also never played a Platinum game before this one, so that might be a well-known mechanic by now...)

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Obnoxipus posted:

I love those little hoppy robots. Forget 2B, I'd like one or two of them on my desk.

XavierGenisi posted:

I absolutely adore the designs of the machine enemies. Especially the adorable wind-up-toy-like enemies. Those tiny guys aren't at all threatening, but bless them, they try.

It's early in the game for me to be gushing, but I adore those little dipshits' design. They made some Amiibo like figures of those little dudes, I'd go bankrupt buying them all.

wiegieman posted:

You can always count on Platinum animations to be completely impractical and completely cool.

After we get a few more weapons, I'm doing an entire video that is showing off the animation flourish when 2B stops attacking cuz HOLY poo poo they're good.

Dabir posted:

It's Angelic, it's a thing, he uses it throughout the whole series.

Ya it's the same cipher that's been all of Yoko Taro's games. It was the Watcher language in the first game, Intoner magic in Drakengard 3 and magic's text in Nier 1.

NHO posted:

Analysis: We're mid-mission. It wouldn't be appropriate.
Proposal: gently caress yeah I will.

OmegaCake posted:

This game likes to vomit tutorials into the menu with the only prompt being text in the corner popping up for 2 seconds while you're in the middle of fighting a dozen dudes. Pod Counter is definitely in there. All the movement techs with Pods, on the other hand, are not at all documented. It's like some weird clause in Platinum Games' contracts that at least 20% of gameplay features must go without any documention. I'll show those off when we get to it being a relevant factor.

GimmickMan posted:

One of my major worries about this game was they'd lean hard into the first game's soundtrack. And they do... entirely solely for rad loving boss battle remixes. Wait until Song of the Ancients comes back with vocals kicking in... And it ends up not even being in the top ten tracks in the game. This game's OST is REALLY loving good.

Also hey... the thread is already Gold after like a day and change. That's nice. Another update later tonight. :unsmith:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 31, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not exactly ground floor, but I just noticed this thread and it is my duty to see this one through when I wasn't quite able to do so with the last one. :getin:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

When I try to think of my favorite song on the ost I always end up going "Oh but what about that one". There are so many great songs, even for just small little things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Outside of what is essentially the theme song of the game which we'll get to when we get to it, I have a clear favourite which isn't especially far into the game but yeah, the OST managed to live up to the hype of NieR 1's, though I personally give the first game the nod overall at least in songs, but not in how the soundtrack is used.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Having just gone through the first updates... I really, really want this loving game now.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Serifina posted:

Having just gone through the first updates... I really, really want this loving game now.

Then buy it

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

If on PC, gmg has it for 25% off if you have an account with a extra 5% off voucher code.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

GeneX posted:

Then buy it

Nice glib answer. I have no money. It'll have to wait. Unfortunately.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Serifina posted:

Nice glib answer. I have no money. It'll have to wait. Unfortunately.
Pirate it, then buy a copy when you have money.

Or consider alternative sources of income. Like kidneys, or pickpocketing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If you defeat Yoko Taro in a game of skill you get a copy for free. But beware - he is cunning beneath his eccentric demeanor, and his Dragon Punch is formidable.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Sandman posted:

Pirate it, then buy a copy when you have money.

Don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Mega64 posted:

Don't do this.

• Locked thread