Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

According to Box Office Mojo, the film's budget is $110 million (which is weird because I thought it was $130 million). So according to RLM's logic, if this movie's going to break even it needs to make $220M, or surpass around $300M.

We'll have to wait for opening weekend if that is the case. Also given that it isn't mass marketed as current Marvel and DC films, it doesn't need to earn an extra hundred or two million.

That's funny, because now it has a 62 rating on Metacritic.

The necessary earnings are a little different on this one, as it's a coproduction between Paramount and production companies based in Hong Kong and Shanghai, with ties to local theater chains with the latter two offering a significant portion of the funds. The Asian market BO is going to count towards it breaking even more is typical, with less burden on the US domestic.

ScarJo mentioned 130m in an interview. What numbers the studio or analysts name may fluctuate, but it's something in the lower hundred million range.

Mithaldu posted:

That's actually something i wonder about : Who would those 3d holograms be for? In several scenes I've seen they are both surrounded by buildings, but also bigger than any individual building, thus obscured from view from all angles but the sky. Yet most of the traffic visible still goes under them and so low at that that the holograms should be impossible to usefully see from any normal angle. Probably just overthinking it though and they didn't consider it further than "yeah, looks cool".

It's kind of a futuristic variation of what HK already does. Many of the island's skyscrapers are covered with ground to roof video and laser lights projected from rooftops and the mountain dance across the skyline at night. You're right, from ground level it's all just surreal light that doesn't have much form. But you spend a lot of time in the upper levels of buildings, or across the bay looking at it from a distance, in which case it's all clearly legible. The same would go for the GitS holograms.

They also seem to only be visible from the outside, as they're mostly translucent when characters step through, so magic future one-way holograms to avoid blocking views from inside, I guess.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Just got back and really enjoyed it. I'd say 75% of it was straight-up original GitS from what I remember, and the newer stuff to modernize it for Western audiences wasn't unwelcome. A bit cliche, sure, but I didn't think it broke the movie in any way.

The biggest issue will be the pacing. In that respect, it's very much like the original and U.S. audiences might not go for it since it's more of a detective film than an action fest.

Rupert Saunders definitely has an eye for what he's doing. I'd love to see him do an Akira remake or something. From both Snow White and this, it seems like his biggest issue is that he has to deal with studio scripts more than anything. If he could get a truly solid script, the dude will have a great future as a filmmaker.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I really enjoyed it. It struck me more as a complement to, or a remix of, the original rather than a remake, particularly given how differently it treats the idea of cybernetic enhancement, which it seems to me was treated as a natural step on the evolutionary ladder in the original but is presented here as explicitly commodifying and dehumanizing its subjects. It's also far warier of the relationship between corporatism, globalism, the deep state, and the effects of such on the ability to lead a meaningful human existence. I look forward to the SMG effortpost on this one. It seems to me to share a lot more in common with RoboCop than anything else. (It even has a very similarly ironic ending.) Also, it's far less action packed than the trailers would lead people to believe, which I know has been a concern for many.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 31, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wendell posted:

Surely you mean 59%.

It's down to 50% but generally getting scores of two to three stars among "bad" reviews (yes RT counts some three-star reviews as negative), demonstrating the inherent clunkiness of relying on RT for anything.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
One funny/cool coincidence is that the effect used to portray ScarJo diving into somebody else's brain is drat near identical to the effect used in Get Out to portray falling into "The Sunken Place." I thought that was a great bit of unintentional intertextuality, given both films' concerns with being marginalized and losing your identity.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Saw it in IMAX 3D. Very visually appealing. As mentioned it's like 75% GitS95 with 10% SAC.

Unfortunately that remaining bit is dumbing down, exposition, and poor pacing. Overall a good watch.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
Just saw it yesterday; 6/10 (NOTE: I haven't consumed anything GoS related.)

The film looks amazing visually, loved the special effects, set designs, costumes, and CGI (City looked cool).

The dialogue was pretty lovely, and the pacing was quite bizarre, like some scenes would go for waay too long, and others would just be too short.

The biggest issue I had was that whenever they were going to delve onto the philosophical questions about what makes us human, the idea of a soul, what constitutes reality etc, they would ALMOST start to really expand, but then just cut away.

Also they would either introduce a character (the black dude) and then the character wont appear for the rest of the film. Or there would be characters who just seemed to appear out of nowhere.

I did enjoy ScarJo in the film however. I felt she fit the role really well - but maybe im just white washing it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wow that was actually a pretty decent adaptation. They didn't take a lot of risks with it but it looked absolutely gorgeous. ScarJo, whitewashing stuff aside, was pretty great in the role and I loved the supporting cast as well. I feel like this movie should have been a lot worse than it turned out.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Junior Jr. posted:

Final things to mention...I'm still annoyed that they didn't explain how everyone can understand each other in different languages instead of speaking the same language, even if that was previously explained in the GITS lore, I'd expect they'd briefly mention it just so that's established, other than 'they have advanced tech implants'. And no-one, not even Scarjo, can say "I wasn't built to dance" with a straight face.

Right before the opening shootout with the geisha-droids, as they are discussing business, Michael Wincotts character mentions his daughter being able to learn French in five minutes due to a new brain augmentation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beat Takeshi MVP.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Japanese comics and cartoons have establishing shots where nothing happens to frame the environment and to denote the passage of time. Not a specific amount of time, just that an arbitrary amount of time had passed.

GITS95 is somewhat renowned for this with the footage of Hong Kong with the music playing in the background and absolutely zero characters interacting. Since GITS17 is a Greatest Hits Collection, that's why the movie feels slow and weirdly paced.

e: batou's eyes: it's extremely easy to permanently damage your eyes. It's also easy to not know that your eyes are being damaged because your retinas don't have pain receptors.

Phone fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Some damage takes time to become apparent. There are people who have taken an IR laser to the face, gone to bed being able to see, and woken up blind the next morning.

No mid or after credits scene so you can bail once the scroll starts.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

People have also taken shotgun blasts to the face which have blinded them

Its of particular interest that not only has the RT critics scroll fall under 50%, but the audience score is at 66%. That doesn't sound good at all.

Edit: for comparison, Power Rangers has a 47% critic score but a 80% for its audience score.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 31, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Holy poo poo. It's so completely devoid of nuance and subtlety. It should be illegal to present this crap in any way other than projecting it onto a giant nose.

It tells what it should show and shows what it should tell.

A lot of it is really pretty, though, which makes it all the more heartbreaking.

You have dozens of hours of source material to work from. And the best part is, it's not all good. You can actually see where it's gone off the rails sometimes as well as when it's been brilliant. But they just end up kind of cargo culting the popular or flashy bits.

Lame.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

AlternateAccount posted:

Holy poo poo. It's so completely devoid of nuance and subtlety. It should be illegal to present this crap in any way other than projecting it onto a giant nose.

It tells what it should show and shows what it should tell.
I loved the part at the start where it explains what Ghost in the Shell means, as if talking to a grade schooler.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mithaldu posted:

I loved the part at the start where it explains what Ghost in the Shell means, as if talking to a grade schooler.

Can you paraphrase? Won't be able to catch this for a while.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I took the language thing as a nod to the fact that in an global era when cybernetic enhancement is so advanced and available, it tends to run roughshod over culture. Also, practically speaking, it's possible to understand a language thoroughly without being able to speak it fluently, so it might behoove a person to speak in their native tongue to maintain control over the meaning of their words (and, thematically speaking, their identity, natch).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mithaldu posted:

EXPLAIN TO HIM!!!

We're not, I'm not uh really who I say I am you see we're actually just acto-

EXPLAIN AS YOU WOULD...TO A CHILD!!!!

We pretended.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mithaldu posted:

What does ghost in the shell mean?
How did Batou get robot eyes?
Why is the Major a robot person?
These are some questions that I was never really interested in about the series but they answer them all in the first 30 minutes of the movie. Just got back from the movie myself and not too sure what to think.

They crammed scenes from a lot of scenes from across the series into this movie almost to the point its like a star wars prequel,
Arise: memory issues.
gits95: dump truck/false memory, spider tank, jumping through the window scene, puppet master end scene.
SAC: Doctor and the needles.
SAC2ndgig: kuze, refugees, uploading the refugees.
Innocence, geisha robots and the Yakuza bar shoot out

All these tied together to make a 100 minute movie. The movie jumped around so much it was almost comical. Armaki only talking in Japanese was almost annoying.

To say something nice about the movie, it's like DmC to Devil May Cry.

Junior Jr. posted:

I was confused on how they dealt with the 'white washing', so they arrest a japanese girl, and change her whole body with western facial prosthetics to make her blend in with the natives of Neo Tokyo while working for Section 9? also according to her real mother, she was an 'anti-tech activist' pffft lol.

If their only goal was to make a female robot cop, why did they even go through such lengths and illegality? You would think such a large company would have access to people wanting to be robot people and not have to resort to kidnapping people and turning them into robot cop. One thing better about all of the original content is that robot people are normal and not alarming to anyone in that universe and they already know how to make robot people. This movie could have almost been called Deus Ex and no one would have noticed.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

If their only goal was to make a female robot cop, why did they even go through such lengths and illegality?

That's actually a good point, going back to RoboCop, Murphy got turned into a cyborg cop because he was dead and OCP brought him back to life. But in this movie, the Hanka Corporation just stole some refugees, removed their free will and made them into robots anyway.

Say what you will about fictional corporations turning people into robots, at least one of them wasn't being a total dick about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Junior Jr. posted:

That's actually a good point, going back to RoboCop, Murphy got turned into a cyborg cop because he was dead and OCP brought him back to life. But in this movie, the Hanka Corporation just stole some refugees, removed their free will and made them into robots anyway.

Say what you will about fictional corporations turning people into robots, at least one of them wasn't being a total dick about it.

In RoboCop, the OCP orchestrate Murphy's dead to begin with.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Please confirm to me that I should see this film in IMAX 3D. Typically I veer away from those, but this seems like it could be an exception

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Schwarzwald posted:

Well technically Dick Jones did that with Clarence, unless we're talking about the remake...then we don't talk about that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They're still making movies in 3D?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Schwarzwald posted:

OCP had to do it because they already planned to remake Escape from the Bronx with Robocop 3.

starkebn posted:

They're still making movies in 3D?

It's a gimmick that is prob here to stay.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 1, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Junior Jr. posted:

But in this movie, the Hanka Corporation just stole some refugees, removed their free will and made them into robots anyway.

I will never understand sci-fi where this is thing. Like the volunteer waiting list would be multiple life times long for "you're you except your body is a hot and ageless super powered machine and also you have 100% comprehension of all known languages."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

an skeleton posted:

Please confirm to me that I should see this film in IMAX 3D. Typically I veer away from those, but this seems like it could be an exception
Nah

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Neo Rasa posted:

I will never understand sci-fi where this is thing. Like the volunteer waiting list would be multiple life times long for "you're you except your body is a hot and ageless super powered machine and also you have 100% comprehension of all known languages."

"we could ask someone with MS to undergo this procedure, but nah - let's violate some poors man!"

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

an skeleton posted:

If you see it, it should be in IMAX 3D. I saw it like that first and 2D later, it was def better with it. Makes subtle use to pull you into the environments, and that's the strongest part of this film.

That "if" is important. It's got a cool world, mood, and a handful of strong scenes and performances. With an extremely flaccid script. If you think you can enjoy the former through the latter, see it.

I think complaining that the is just copying their favorite unrelated bits is ironic, since that's exactly what Oshii did for his two films. The screenwriters essentially used Oshii's approach, but couldn't make their through line as compelling or resist inserting some ridiculously direct exposition. The through line is there, every grabbed scene either already supports or is made to support the theme of identity and Mira's search for it. But the execution of that theme is limp, barring a scene or two.

Someone asked for a paraphrase of the line explaining the title: One of the earliest spoken lines in the film after the shelling sequence, "We couldn't save you're body Mira, but we built a new body. A cybernetic shell. But you're still you, your mind, your spirit, your... ghost, survives. I think my memory is close, but you can hear the line in the first 9 minutes clip posted earlier in the thread if you want it exact.

It's delivered by Juliette Binoche who's one of the strongest actors in the film, but she is given the worst of the expository dialogue, which drags her performance down to just OK.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 1, 2017

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Can you paraphrase? Won't be able to catch this for a while.
M: Why can't i feel my body?
D: Mira, your body was damaged, we couldn't save it. Only your brain survived.
D: *in a "talking to dog or kid" voice* We made you a *new* body.
D: *eagerly nodding and smiling* A synthetic shell.
D: But your miiind, your soul, your Ghost. *whispers* It's still in here.
M: *has an epileptic attack*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1OcuBObz4&t=68s

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The metacritic page for the original GITS looks a bit odd: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/ghost-in-the-shell

The reviews are all from 96/97, but added only very recently. And with such an old movie you'd think they'd have a LOT more reviews to add, but for some reason whichever person did that, added a small handful of praising reviews, and a single 30% review.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 1, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

starkebn posted:

"we could ask someone with MS to undergo this procedure, but nah - let's violate some poors man!"

Those art book photos make it look peaceful too!

Ah man I just remembered, turning people into robot people against their will is just Solid State Society all over again. There was no way they could top Togusa getting hacked and taking his daughter to the robot doctor to get turned into a robot. They jammed alot of poo poo into this movie.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 1, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Mithaldu posted:

M: Why can't i feel my body?
D: Mira, your body was damaged, we couldn't save it. Only your brain survived.
D: *in a "talking to dog or kid" voice* We made you a *new* body.
D: *eagerly nodding and smiling* A synthetic shell.
D: But your miiind, your soul, your Ghost. *whispers* It's still in here.
M: *has an epileptic attack*

You could say you still have your 'ghost...in the shell'. WINK WINK

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 1, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
So are you deliberately ignoring the context where the character is obviously trying (and failing) to calm a patient after an amputation.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, I wanted to point that out too, but keep reconsidering how much I care to defend this particular film on the internet. Cause it's not written all that great and it does have narrative problems.

But Juliette Binoche's performance of those lines makes absolute sense in the context.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So are you deliberately ignoring the context where the character is obviously trying (and failing) to calm a patient after an amputation.

oh boy here we go! :munch:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Take it easy no one amputated a whole person's body before! Makes both robocops look like the lucky ones.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

an skeleton posted:

You definitely should. Visually it's really impressive and the 3D was really well done.

The plot was by the numbers and that's a shame, since they had so much source material to pull from and they could've easily done a better job. Just changing the ending so she accepts Kuze's offer would've been an improvement over what we got. Nevermind actually using the 1995 movie's Puppetmaster instead of Kuze.

Still, I had fun. Just go in expecting a visually stunning average action flick, you'll enjoy yourself. Don't expect any philosophical or intellectual depth cause there's none to be found.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

But Juliette Binoche's performance of those lines makes absolute sense in the context.
Being calm and soothing makes perfect sense, but the content of the lines converts it from her talking to Mira to talking to the audience, making it clear to anyone with half a brain this is what the title means.

As far as bedside manner towards a confused and not quite there patient go, there are much simpler ways she could've put it that would've been much more effective at actually calming the patient. For example, when asked why the patient can't feel their body, don't start out with the worst news of "your body is completely lost", but with "this only temporary until we can get you into better shape", THEN maybe try explaining the problems if the patient is taking it well.

The idea is fine, the execution is completely rear end-backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

While I'm engaging in defenses against some of the less sensical arguments, regarding why they can't use volunteers: [spoiler]It's because of what Hanka is doing with the minds after a successful surgery. Erasing all memories and implanting false ones so that the subject can be easily controlled as a soldier is explicitly illegal within the movie's world, even if they could find volunteers. So, Hanka looks for people whose deaths can be reported with little inquiry or concern from the larger public, like homeless anti-government runaways in a police scuffle.[/spoilers]

Mithaldu posted:

Being calm and soothing makes perfect sense, but the content of the lines converts it from her talking to Mira to talking to the audience, making it clear to anyone with half a brain this is what the title means.

As far as bedside manner towards a confused and not quite there patient go, there are much simpler ways she could've put it that would've been much more effective at actually calming the patient. For example, when asked why the patient can't feel their body, don't start out with the worst news of "your body is completely lost", but with "this only temporary until we can get you into better shape", THEN maybe try explaining the problems if the patient is taking it well.

The idea is fine, the execution is completely rear end-backwards.

I was defending the performance, not the writing. With screenplays pitched at a large audience, you're normally looking for a balance between realism and immediacy. Normally when they err it's toward the latter. As was the case here.

FWIW, explaining the terminology and tech of its world has been something GitS has always struggled with and been one of the worst points with most of its incarnations. The manga just stuck giant clunky paragraphs of text explaining exactly what a shell was in very basic terms at the bottom of the page. SAC turned those paragraphs into stilted conversations told in mickey mouse voices by cutesy robots. Oshii manages to use the terms in sentences that feel natural to the characters, but are designed to give context to the terms for the viewer. I think he did it best, but then several series fans (in this thread even) complain that his films were too difficult to understand.

At least the film didn't break into a glorified powerpoint, as these movies tend to.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 1, 2017

• Locked thread