Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cargo cult posted:

totally off topic but what is the technical term for churches where anyone can basaically decide that they're a pasor or clergyman or whatever. not charismatic churches, something else

I don't know that I've heard of a specific term for that. There's plenty of denominations that don't require their Church leaders to attend a seminary, and someone wanting to be a pastor just has to find a church willing to hire them, then they become a pastor right then.

To bring this at least tangentially back to the alt-right, one of these denominations is the African Methodist Episcopal Church, which came into the news as a result of the Charleston church shooting.

A lot of their pastors do choose to attend a seminary as a matter of professional development, for example Clementa C. Pinckney attended a Lutheran seminary, but it's not a requirement.

Usually, it's not required for historical reasons, where members typically did not have access to higher education (such as with the A.M.E.) or because of a certain interpretation of "the priesthood of all believers", which may be the term you're looking for.

The general idea of it is that it is a Protestant belief that a member of the clergy is not necessary to have direct access to God for prayers and/or forgiveness. Some churches take it so far as to do away with the idea of a pastor entirely, and just go entirely with "lay led" services, which may also be the term you're looking for.

Edit:

I wonder if you're not thinking of Universalist churches, which include a lot of lay led congregations. The one locally here does have a pastor, but I know a lot do not organize themselves that way.

You might also be thinking about Quakers/Friends/Religious Society of Friends, some of whom go for a lay led style as well.

Azathoth has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If you care about the bible as a cultural artefact rather than a spiritual book then you should really read the King James version. That and the works of Shakespeare are responsible for most of the common idioms, turns of phrase and metaphors that English speakers commonly use today.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's the version I read and it makes the other ones seem like the "children's storytime edition" so i get to feel all smart n poo poo :smugbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cargo cult posted:

totally off topic but what is the technical term for churches where anyone can basaically decide that they're a pasor or clergyman or whatever. not charismatic churches, something else

fake?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

cumshitter posted:

*prints out sick tweets and blog posts*

mom.... are youuuuu proud of your boyyyyy hahaha what a loser

dumb true story: my mom googled my personal email and tracked it down to a forum where i was talking about lsd and giving someone curious about it advice on how to trip for the first time and i woke up one day to an email from her telling me i should be more careful about what i do on the internet

like yeah moom im gonna send out resumes from my cumshitter@gmail address

I mean, it'd certainly elevate you above the herd.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
my actual professional emails are all very subtle gay sex references like bbautumnboy

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

king james bible is poo poo!!!!

Sorry, but it sounds awesome.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Crowsbeak posted:

Sorry, but it sounds awesome.

And the Goon spake unto The Thread in the wilderness of Sinai, in the tabernacle of the congregation, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they were come out of the land of Egypt, saying, Take ye the sum of all the congregation of the children of The Thread, after their families, by the house of their fathers, with the number of their names, every male by their polls, and fucketh off.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

cargo cult posted:

Protestantism? That's basically the central idea behind the Reformation.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ken jennings follows chapo :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/847606000404144132

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i wish i had a big brain full of trivia like ken

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I posted that in the wrong thread sorry

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 23:18 on Mar 31, 2017

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MizPiz posted:

Protestantism? That's basically the central idea behind the Reformation.
Careful on that generalization. You're right that I can, as a Protestant, go found the First Church of Something Awful, call myself Rev. Azathoth, and say I'm a pastor, but individual denominations can be quite strict about the requirements for their churches.

The Lutheran church where I attend requires a bachelor's degree, a master's degree from a seminary, a year internship, approval by a candidacy committee, a psychological examination, and a criminal background check before you can start interviewing with churches, and even then, you're not officially a pastor until you convince a church to actually hire you and get the bishop to come out and do the ordination.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Just like the real alt right we ended up at the Christian right

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I don't think he meant the word for *all* churches.

cargo cult posted:

My wife is an ordained minster of the Universal Life Church so she could officiate a friend's wedding. It cost her $40 for the certificate and about five minutes to fill in the forms and had the same effect as a Justice of the Peace for the day program, with the added fun of being able to call yourself a minister (and having the wedding recognized by the religious assholes who run many state governments). The Universal Life Church is the ultimate evolution of organized religion

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Apr 1, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i wish i had a big brain full of trivia like ken

I wish I was as good at twitter as Ken.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Not a Step posted:

My wife is an ordained minster of the Universal Life Church so she could officiate a friend's wedding. It cost her $40 for the certificate and about five minutes to fill in the forms and had the same effect as a Justice of the Peace for the day program, with the added fun of being able to call yourself a minister (and having the wedding recognized by the religious assholes who run many state governments). The Universal Life Church is the ultimate evolution of organized religion

You don't even have to send them money, and you can call yourself anything. Our Omni-Benevolent Pope who officiated my husband's and my wedding was quite pleased with himself. In Washington you needed a clergy member (or JoP) and Pope clearly counts.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Step posted:

You actually have to pay for that? I registered like a decade ago on their website and I thought that was it. I just did it because I was bored.

I ended up hanging with some really stoned people like two days later and said "I'm an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church" and they legit thought I was a minister and gave me like actual respect for it until left like 15 minutes later.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

You don't even have to send them money, and you can call yourself anything. Our Omni-Benevolent Pope who officiated my husband's and my wedding was quite pleased with himself. In Washington you needed a clergy member (or JoP) and Pope clearly counts.

Pretty sure the money was just to register with the state to perform the ceremony. She made herself a giant pope hat and another friend sewed her a ridiculous silver cape. Our own wedding was officiated by a friend with a Universal Life Church certificate.

I have no idea why anyone thinks the clergy should be qualified to do anything at all in regards to a state institution like marriage, but as long as the UCL is around its merely annoying.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I swear to god there's a term for it like uh nonhiererachical or non ecumenical. its a fucken E word I just took a class on early christianity gently caress kafop'ekwfokaefko. non-ecclesiastical? its not maoism tho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cargo cult posted:

I swear to god there's a term for it like uh nonhiererachical or non ecumenical. its a fucken E word I just took a class on early christianity gently caress kafop'ekwfokaefko. non-ecclesiastical? its not maoism tho

non-hierarchical makes sense but i don't think it's the correct term, non-ecclesiastical is it i think. (ecumenism has nothing to do with clergy, it refers to interfaith relations)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848864775547359233

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848865217522040832

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848865522439659520

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848867054807638016

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848867328259436545

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848870421449641986

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848870884744081408

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848875558062764034

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848875766465089536

ANNND BOOM

https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848876591719612418

goes the dynamite :suicide:

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Apr 3, 2017

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Literal gorilla mind

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

no, no, no, no, no, yes, yes, yes, no, no

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/PALE_Primate/status/848877079173230592

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

well, deplorable primate is right in the name! if he isn't trolling at least he's self aware? :shrug:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
triggered af
https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/848593107159576578

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbf woke brands stuff genuinely is virtue signalling

but like, that's just a promo deal?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Normally the pantshitters are crying because of race or gender swapping, not because of the original heroes.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

drat the gynocracy, is there anywhere it cant reach? it has gotten all the way into molyneux's sad, sad one man TV dinners, taunting him

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Normally the pantshitters are crying because of race or gender swapping, not because of the original heroes.

these characters are literally as old as my mom =

:freep:GADAUM FEMINAZIS:freep:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

The Brown Menace posted:

drat the gynocracy, is there anywhere it cant reach? it has gotten all the way into molyneux's sad, sad one man TV dinners, taunting him

:roflolmao: :roflolmao:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Azathoth posted:

Careful on that generalization. You're right that I can, as a Protestant, go found the First Church of Something Awful, call myself Rev. Azathoth, and say I'm a pastor, but individual denominations can be quite strict about the requirements for their churches.

The Lutheran church where I attend requires a bachelor's degree, a master's degree from a seminary, a year internship, approval by a candidacy committee, a psychological examination, and a criminal background check before you can start interviewing with churches, and even then, you're not officially a pastor until you convince a church to actually hire you and get the bishop to come out and do the ordination.

shocked someone beat lutha mahtin to a post on protestantism

E: im sorry that was uncalled for

ContinuityNewTimes has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Apr 4, 2017

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Jacobian has a neat article about alt right women

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/04/alt-right-lana-lokteff-racism-misogyny-women-feminism/

quote:

When we imagine the alt-right insurgency, we likely envision an army of Richard Spencers: angry white men with fashy haircuts marching under the banner of Pepe the Frog. But this image leaves out a sizable and increasingly vocal segment of extremist right politics: women.

Like their male counterparts, these white-nationalist and neofascist women reject what they call the “domination of cultural Marxism,” portraying leftists as the children of Karl Marx and Lena Dunham, trying to turn the United States into an anti-white cesspool run by Jewish interests that promote race-mixing, feminism, and hedonism.

These alt-right women put a feminine spin on the movement’s patriarchal and xenophobic rhetoric by emphasizing traditional gender roles and old-fashioned ideals of beauty. They promote the mid-century nuclear family, dreaming of emulating Obergruppenführer John Smith’s all-white, American Nazi family on the science-fiction show The Man in the High Castle.

In this, the alt-right seeks to naturalize what is not only oppressive but also conventional, reminding us that, as shocking as its recent explosion onto the political landscape has been, their ideology is largely recycled.

Make Patriarchy Great Again

Lana Lokteff is the most prominent woman on the alt-right. Of Russian-American ancestry, she claims that her family fled “Bolshevism” in Eastern Europe and moved to China where her father was born. Raised in the American Northwest, she adopted libertarian and anarchist positions before converting to white nationalism.

Lokteff co-hosts a white nationalist talk show with her husband Henrik Palmgren. Hailed as the “CNN of the alt-right,” Red Ice happens to be headquartered in Sweden, where a fair number of alt-right leaders come from. The couple devotes their program to exposing the “cultural Marxist” agenda, which they define as a “meta-political struggle” of academic and cultural elites meant to subvert white civilization in favor of multiculturalism.

The alt-right woman reduces feminism to the “crazy radical left-wing stuff that we see coming out of Hollywood.” She believes that feminist women trample over men to feel important. She thinks that feminism has permeated culture from television to academia, turning all the material taught in schools into crypto-Marxist propaganda. This explains why the most vehement right-wing women support homeschooling and oppose public education.

Lokteff finds feminism to be ultimately self-centered because it focuses on a woman’s autonomy instead of the family. The suffrage movement started this trend by transferring the “one vote per family” model to “one vote per woman.” Husbands and wives were supposed to vote together, and giving each woman the right to vote stripped the nuclear family of its important function in society, she says. It created divisions from the start, paving the way for single-parent households run by “trashy, drug-abusing” women. The days when the man of the house was the breadwinner and the mother the dutiful wife, pumping out football fields of children, disappeared. Women on the alt-right emphasize the need to rebuild tight-knit, heteronormative white families with traditional values and gender roles.

This kind of family structure entails a natural hierarchy: though, as Lokteff admits, women ultimately decide if the race will continue, they are in fact auxiliary and must accept their inferiority to men. Once you believe that men are born as the dominant sex, then patriarchy becomes natural, normalized, even necessary: inferior women should be “taken care of” by men — a euphemism for subordination.

European men are portrayed as naturally intelligent and strong protectors who build civilizations and provide for their families. Lokteff believes that all women are attracted to masculine strength and valor and should accept their role as the bearer and supporter of children. Indeed, having children is a must. If they want their right-wing legacy to live on, white women must get married early and have a big family.

Daniel Friberg — CEO of altright.com and one of Lokteff’s and Palmgren’s political collaborators — echoes this advice in his handbook for fascist activists, The Real Right Returns. Friberg agrees that the myth of equality between the sexes harms both men and women — especially those men forced to compete with women on the job market.

He argues that there are “fundamental differences” between men and women that cannot be eradicated by “cultural Marxist” propaganda, one of which is women’s essentially apolitical stance. Feminism represents the only exception but, for Friberg, “that is the exception that proves the rule.” It therefore makes sense that women on the Right are underrepresented, because they belong in the home. Women should never make the mistake of trying to act like men, or appropriate their masculine characteristics.

But Lokteff adds something to Friberg’s strict demarcation between the sexes. She believes that alt-right women, while internalizing their subordination, can use their femininity to subvert the Left. On one episode of Virtue of the West, Lokteff argues that because a female speaker “doesn’t want to dominate anyone physically,” she can get away with “a lot more verbally.”

Immigration as “White Genocide”

Charges of racism no longer hurt Lokteff. Instead, she says, “I’ve been called so many names that it actually energizes me now, because I can just treat [critics] like my footstool, step on them and laugh.” Her segments on Red Ice are filled with invectives against multiculturalism, immigrants, and especially Muslims, who she demagogically scapegoats. She falsely claims that refugees are responsible for a rise in crime across Europe, depicting them as “lazy bums, packing the welfare offices, who flock in for the incentives.”

She calls Muslim immigrants “incoming invaders” with no respect for white women. Against this alleged threat, Lokteff tells women to prepare for a race war: “These people risk their lives trying to come to the countries that men built for us. We must be ready to go to battle.” She asks:

Has mass immigration by non-Europeans made Sweden a better place with safer streets and more opportunities? The answer is so obvious: it’s a big fat “no.” We offer a simple solution: European countries for European people. If you don’t like us, get out.

These sentiments, unfortunately recently echoed by the Dutch prime minister, are hallmarks of the insurgent, European right. Lokteff frequently brings up another aspect of this rhetoric, which exaggerates incidents of migrant violence against women:

If the women who were raped got together and made their voices heard that they were raped by migrants, it could undo years of a massive cover-up in a matter of minutes. [emphasis added]

She fails to mention that violence against refugee homes has spiked across Europe, particularly in Germany.

For Lokteff, a cultural Marxist conspiracy against white identity is driving mass immigration. Marxism’s secret plan is “white genocide,” enacted through open-border policies that encourage the destruction of homogenous white communities. She argues that cultural Marxism’s meta-political warfare has guilt-tripped white people into privileging non-European identities over white ones.

The alt-right, from Kevin MacDonald to Lokteff, holds that Marxism’s ostensible egalitarianism masks an anti-white bias that will plunge white people into extinction. The ideal of a suburban home with a “white picket fence has been traded in for a tiny, carbon-neutral apartment in a diverse neighborhood swarmed with immigrants,” says Lokteff. Cultural Marxism emasculates white men, turning them into feminized “beta males” in “skinny jeans who hold signs that say ‘refugees welcome.’”

Contrary to Lokteff’s racist sensationalism, the actual rate of sex crimes has been more or less unchanged since 2005 according to the Swedish Crime Survey. No legitimate link between increased reports of sex crimes and mass immigration has been discovered; rather, the definition of rape has expanded, which is the proximate cause of increased reports.

Further, according to the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention, the majority of criminal suspects were born in Sweden and come from Swedish-born parents. The vast majority of people with foreign backgrounds have little contact with the criminal justice system. According to these surveys, most crimes have socioeconomic, rather than racial, motivations.

Of course, Lokteff can denounce these findings as part of the cultural Marxist conspiracy. Instead, she isolates incidents of rape and crime as evidence of an overall pattern that simply does not exist.

The Ugly Obsession With Beauty

According to Lokteff, three things are ingrained into a woman’s head that will never disappear: beauty, family, and home. These values comprise the core of what makes white nationalism so appealing to right-wing women. In the alt-right, beauty is embraced — even obsessed over — as the primary force propelling a woman to live her best life.

This ideology has a pseudo-scientific foundation. The argument goes that women are biologically wired to desire a mate who can provide her with a safe and comfortable material existence until death. The surest way to accomplish this is by appearing as physically attractive to men as possible.

In almost every single interview and speech, Lokteff stresses how “beautiful” and “attractive” the people of the alt-right are:

They’re smart, beautiful women who understand that mass immigration is not working. . . . Nationalism has become the guy that everyone wants. All the girls are starting to eye the bad boy who is the nationalist. . . . European nationalists and the alt-right are a very attractive, very sexy bunch. It’s a eugenic process. Matches are being made left and right of beautiful couples. Now it’s time to procreate.

Following Nietzsche, Lokteff and the alt-right want a transvaluation of values that will replace cultural Marxism with traditionalism. They maintain that Marxism is waging a war against truth and beauty. This argument holds that nature makes some people better than others, producing social “winners” and “losers.” Now, the losers are teaming up to tear down the noble and aristocratic winners.

The alt-right believes that envy drives the entire left-wing movement. Lokteff derides feminism as “affirmative action for ugly people,” arguing that leftists “push ugly, fat-positive feminists as the beauty ideal and they say it’s natural for a husband to dress like a woman or have sex with another man occasionally to prove that he’s not homophobic.”

In his handbook, Friberg reiterates these points to valorize fascist femininity. His advice to the women of the alt-right is as follows:

Nurture your femininity. Realize that your feminine qualities are your greatest assets. Nurture and develop them. They are also your main weapon in the rather brutal competition which constitutes natural selection, and it is your primary strength in your interactions with men.

Lipstick Fascism

Lokteff’s argument is a non-argument. Whether it concerns race or gender, it has no empirical backing. She claims that innocent white people are increasingly victim to heinous crimes at the hands of biologically inferior subhumans, repeating the worst Nazi-inspired propaganda. When it comes to race, she relies on gross stereotypes and scapegoating; when it comes to gender, she makes anatomy destiny. She believes that people who disconnect sex from gender are deeply confused, brainwashed by Marxist propaganda. Her views on gender essentially regurgitate the rhetoric of Kinder, Küche, Kirche (children, kitchen, church), from 1930s Germany.

Lokteff claims that she just wants to be left alone with her fellow white Europeans to live in peace, arguing that if all races had the option to live in segregation, there would be less violence in the world. Unsurprisingly, she never articulates how we might achieve such a society — but we know from history that attempts to create all-white states quickly turn to ethnic cleansing and genocide. Discounting any possibility of internationalism or integration, Lokteff and her ilk condemn humanity to a racialized Hobbesian war of all against all. Her politics resemble nothing more than zoology: the idea of humanity is liquidated, and all that is left is warring subspecies of animals.

But this is nothing new: behind Lana Lokteff’s feminized politics is the same old bloated, beer-guzzling Stormtrooper who harbors violent male fantasies of protecting white women from the forces of “racial decadence.” What was once the threat of “Jewish Bolshevism” has become the threat of “cultural Marxism.” This should come as no surprise: after all, “alt” in German means “old.”

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Brown Menace posted:

*dips spoon into alpha-bits cereal*

*alpha-bits spell out "WOMEN ARE PEOPLE TOO*

*emits guttural scream for several hours*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Peel posted:

tbf woke brands stuff genuinely is virtue signalling

but like, that's just a promo deal?

because the alt right are dumb pant making GBS threads idiots who get uber sensitve about masculinty, including having super heroins on a loving pasta cup. whats funny is when i was like 3, i threw simmlar fit in a store because i couldnt get street sharks macaronie. so they are like children but dumber and worse.

we really are living in the 2nd gilded age, arnt we. because i have read "race science" books from back then and its the same poo poo as now except maybe less "biologically" based.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"Dapper_Swindler" posted:

we really are living in the 2nd gilded age, arnt we. because i have read "race science" books from back then and its the same poo poo as now except maybe less "biologically" based.

Alt righters are the old money rich guy from Great Gatsby, only without the money, and half of them aren't even white.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of don't like how that article is written, because all it's doing is cataloguing the beliefs of morons. Who cares exactly what they believe?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a better version:

Turns out there are dumb and gullible women who embrace social darwinism, because they think they'll be on top, don't really care about anyone but themselves, and lack the capacity to empathize with human beings as human beings.

Once they're stuck in an abusive relationship with an angry racist moron, that they can't leave and are economically dependent on, maybe they'll understand the irony of oppossing muslim migration because 'sharia law', then enabling what basically amounts to white-people-sharia at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

Once they're stuck in an abusive relationship with an angry racist moron, that they can't leave and are economically dependent on, maybe they'll understand the irony of oppossing muslim migration because 'sharia law', then enabling what basically amounts to white-people-sharia at home.

There's very little reason to believe this will actually happen, because most reactionaries are pussies.

I mean, they do have a reasonable expectation of being on top because society already places an extraordinary value on white women in a liberal culture.