Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Oxxidation posted:

If you defeat Yoko Taro in a game of skill you get a copy for free. But beware - he is cunning beneath his eccentric demeanor, and his Dragon Punch is formidable.
By Dragon Punch do you mean one of the techniques of his esoteric martial arts style, or of his esoteric bartending style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Oxxidation posted:

If you defeat Yoko Taro in a game of skill you get a copy for free. But beware - he is cunning beneath his eccentric demeanor, and his Dragon Punch is formidable.
Also be fully aware that he will challenge you to a staring contest.

No, he does not take Emil's head off.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Don't do this.

Literally afraid to buy the game because everyone is saying that it's an unoptimized mess of a port which should turn my already half-dead GTX 570 (which burned me on Doom just last year which couldn't even get to the title screen) into dust.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Actually he's stopped using the Dragon Punch and now favors the Wyvern Punch. It's not as good, but costs less energy and is easier to mass produce.

Certain members of the dragon community are less than pleased by this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Literally afraid to buy the game because everyone is saying that it's an unoptimized mess of a port which should turn my already half-dead GTX 570 (which burned me on Doom just last year which couldn't even get to the title screen) into dust.

Personally wouldn't recommend buying it on a 570 but there's a fix complication out called FAR (on mobile, can't link atm sorry) that fixes bugs and also allows you to dramatically lower the stress on the system to the point where a 570 might be good enough. Maybe you could ask a buddy to do library sharing or something?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Actually he's stopped using the Dragon Punch and now favors the Wyvern Punch. It's not as good, but costs less energy and is easier to mass produce.

Certain members of the dragon community are less than pleased by this.

Filthy wveryns, taking jobs and punches that good Midgardian dragons can do :argh:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
good to see I only missed one day of this glorious madness

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm not the biggest fan of the OST, Its not bad in any way, but when I'm actually playing the game I just zone it all out somehow. I do this with pretty much every non falcom game for some reason :smith:. One of the reasons I'm so enamored with Falcom's JDK Sound Team is because no matter what Falcom game I play I can always hear the music and get excited from it and its not uncommon for me to slow down and just listen.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

The Sandman posted:

Pirate it, then buy a copy when you have money.

Or consider alternative sources of income. Like kidneys, or pickpocketing.

No way my computer can handle it. I'll need to get the PS4 version.

As for the other options, well... I might sell a dog. :p

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OmegaCake posted:

Fun fact about the pods is they don't tell you that there ARE combination attacks with them. If I remember correctly, hitting jump and the pod primary fire button at the same time in the air has the pod twirl you around and toss you at an enemy for some damage, while hitting light attack and the pod button at the same time in the air has the pod boost you for a small spinning upward kick. In fact, I'm sure I don't KNOW all the special attacks you might be able to do!

Light attack + pod button doesn't seem to be a thing.

Evade + light attack, however, is the most weirdly nuanced move ever. 2B jumps in the direction you're moving, unless you're not moving in which case she always defaults to due South, while throwing the last weapon you didn't use in the direction you're aiming, or at whatever you're locked onto.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Dabir posted:

Light attack + pod button doesn't seem to be a thing.

Evade + light attack, however, is the most weirdly nuanced move ever. 2B jumps in the direction you're moving, unless you're not moving in which case she always defaults to due South, while throwing the last weapon you didn't use in the direction you're aiming, or at whatever you're locked onto.

Actually tested this out a little while ago
jump and light or heavy will do an ascending aatack for most weapons (it can be timed shortly fater jump too)
Hplding onto the pod (double jump and hold jump) plus attack is also a thing
Finallqy, evading (at tje least to the sides) follpwed up by attack also seems to get a diferent kove out

Only one I have yet to confirm is that after a double jump there seems to be an unique attack if timed right
But as mentioned, have yet to be able to confirm it

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

Quick glance at the steam store page for both games...

Min specs on DOOM is a 670 (2gb). With Recommended 970(4Gb). Possibly doable, but only if you have some sort of overclocked 2gb variant of the 570 and might need some modding/tweaking to game settings to go below min GFX settings, don't know how extensive the options there are.

Min specs on NIER is a 770(2gb). With Recommended 980(4gb).

So... yeah, if you buy then game, don't turn it on, it it WILL murder you card.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm testing things right now and jump+light does not do an ascending attack, only jump+heavy. Jump+light begins a combo with the first hit being considered an air attack and any following attacks grounded (affects the large sword's first hit and what finishers you can do from it), except with fists and small swords which don't really have anything for that input so just start an air combo.

Gliding + light or heavy does the spinning kick which does give you a tiny bit of height but not enough to take you above the peak of your double jump, and also ends the glide.

There is a special move from evade or sprint into heavy attack, but there's no special move from evade or sprint into light attack. However, there is a traditional Platinum mechanic first introduced as Dodge Offset in Bayonetta, where you can dodge in the middle of a light attack combo, and if you immediately start light attacking again you'll continue the combo from where you left off. Unlike in Bayonetta you don't need to buy or equip anything for it and you don't need to hold the button through the dodge. Doesn't apply to aerial combos.

Lord Licorice
Dec 18, 2013

drr drr drr...

Dabir posted:

I'm testing things right now and jump+light does not do an ascending attack, only jump+heavy.

Which weapons are you testing? I'm positive heavy sword does a spiraling jump attack with jump+light.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Welp, I went and bought a PS4 copy after work today.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So all the talk about the OST and the few tracks we've heard so far are kind of really making me want to listen to the whole thing right the hell now. Are there any spoilers in track names or anything like that?

Haedrin
Dec 28, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

So all the talk about the OST and the few tracks we've heard so far are kind of really making me want to listen to the whole thing right the hell now. Are there any spoilers in track names or anything like that?

There absolutely are. I don't know how numerous, but I looked up one that I remembered being pretty notable and it had a pretty big spoiler.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think there's a few spoilery ones, and some that may hint a little at things if you're keen. So I suggest you stay away, personally. However if you do listen to this through the 'tubes keep in mind it will begin populating recommendations to other Nier video's and lord knows that will contain spoilers. Also people in the comments will openly discuss whatever they want because A they're pricks and B usually people don't resort to ost's until they already finished up so they don't expect newcomers to get in there.

alternatively, you can wait and play the music when it fits what is going on. Closest to experiencing it like the game. Part of the magic is getting the tracks in the proper context.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Spoilers: This eventually changes in the second playthrough. But it’s not like NIER’s second playthrough where suddenly Tyrann was a party member translating the Shades’ language and revealing we’re being kind of a huge dick. It’s just boss names having a naming theme of philosophers. In this case Marx. As in Karl Marx.

Now, this game will have some deep philosophical questions on the nature of what it means to be alive and what is a soul and what not. But the boss names? The machines just did that for funsies

It''s not entirely for funsies. After all, you're in a factory, fighting the means of production

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

warhammer651 posted:

It''s not entirely for funsies. After all, you're in a factory, fighting the means of production

...gently caress. I'm not sure if that was terrible or amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I still don't completely believe that this game actually exists. There's just no reason why it should.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
This game is clever in so many ways, and it looks like the thread will reflect that, which makes me happy. Subbed and watching for sure.

And seriously if it looks like a game you'd enjoy, consider buying and playing it (disclosure, I am not unbiased, but I still think it's a good game that does things well and I enjoyed finding a bunch of the endings myself, so you might too)

warhammer651 posted:

Oh, Taro-san. Never change. :allears:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

I still don't completely believe that this game actually exists. There's just no reason why it should.
It exists because of Japanese style corporatism where advancement is based not on merit, but on the ability to get totally shitfaced with your boss after work. In his own weird way, Yoko Taro is a master of networking.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Haedrin posted:

There absolutely are. I don't know how numerous, but I looked up one that I remembered being pretty notable and it had a pretty big spoiler.

Mindblast posted:

I think there's a few spoilery ones, and some that may hint a little at things if you're keen. So I suggest you stay away, personally. However if you do listen to this through the 'tubes keep in mind it will begin populating recommendations to other Nier video's and lord knows that will contain spoilers. Also people in the comments will openly discuss whatever they want because A they're pricks and B usually people don't resort to ost's until they already finished up so they don't expect newcomers to get in there.

alternatively, you can wait and play the music when it fits what is going on. Closest to experiencing it like the game. Part of the magic is getting the tracks in the proper context.

Thanks. The Youtube stuff I kind of expected, so I would have just bought the OST to avoid this. But if there's spoilers in the track titles themselves (which I kind of expected), then I guess I don't have a choice except waiting for this thing to end before I can give the album a listen.

This is going to be agonizing. I suppose I'll just have to set Gods Bound by Rules on repeat until then or something.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I literally just now saw that this LP existed. Thank you, Id. I was just the other day trying to watch an Automata playthrough on YT and even though the guy was decent, it just wasn't the same.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lord Licorice posted:

Which weapons are you testing? I'm positive heavy sword does a spiraling jump attack with jump+light.

All except bracers which I'm pretty sure I remember generally how they work and you're definitely describing large sword's jump+heavy. I noticed its quite frankly weird response to jump+light very clearly.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 1, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Rangpur posted:

It exists because of Japanese style corporatism where advancement is based not on merit, but on the ability to get totally shitfaced with your boss after work. In his own weird way, Yoko Taro is a master of networking.

In what corporate system is advance based on merit?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

White Coke posted:

In what corporate system is advance based on merit?

The one in my headcanon.

veraticus
Feb 4, 2011

Almost Level 200
I bought the first NieR after reading your LP of it, just finished Automata, and can't wait for you to write more. Keep on being awesome, TDI.

If you want to play Automata on the PC, you should download FAR (Fix Automata Resolution) which significantly improves graphical quality and frame rate. You can get it here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

It massively improved my Automata experience. You can access the option menu for it with ctrl + shift + backspace -- the only option you really should change is global illumination quality. Automata ships with this at ultra, but even at low the quality difference is indistinguishable and the frame rate gain is enormous. There's no downside so go get it before you play!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gologle posted:

I literally just now saw that this LP existed.

Same here. Can't wait to see where this goes :allears:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I just shotgunned through the (final) end of the game just now. To echo everyone else, if you are even slightly interested in the game, DROP EVERYTHING and get this game right now, before the internet spoils the game for you. It is really loving good, ya'll.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wish I could, but between my ancient toaster and my big meaty claws clumsy hands I'd have to vicariously enjoy the game via TDI's LP.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The game is only as hard as you want it to be. It literally plays itself on easy mode, so if you just want through the story, ineptitude is no excuse.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I'm reading through your Nier LP again (for the third goddamned time), and I am still just blown away by how bad everyone is at their jobs in this world. 2B's flight squad losing 5/6ths of its forces to a stationary laser starts to make sense when looking at the actions and decision making of other androids in this series.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Can't pirate what hasn't been cracked yet. Besides Steam has refunds now if you can't get it running well you have a week after buying it/2 hours of played time to refund the game. If you play it for 2 hours/own it for a week (2 weeks?) your refund period is over.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

There's a documentary/interview series on YouTube called toco toco. Every episode features a different guest that monologues about his or her own career and life while taking the viewer around different parts of the city where they live.

Guess who's the star of the most recent episode!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
^^^^^^:siren: Please note that there are spoilers for some of the cutscenes for Automata in that video! :siren: ^^^^^

edit: for some content, he's a non-spoilery, slightly out-of-context shot from the video, courtesy of the NieR: Automata thread in Games:

Nina posted:

Taro is adorable

S.D. fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 1, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

mateo360 posted:

Welp, I went and bought a PS4 copy after work today.

I will probably buy a PS4 for this alltogether (2017 is a good year for games y'all)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, that mini-doc is really, really good but it will spoil a bunch of future stuff so don't watch it until TDI says it's safe if you've not played/only following Automata via this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I feel like Id should have waited until today to start this thread so we could all freak out over whether it was an April Fools joke.

That seems like the most Taro Yoko thing to do.

Seriously though, count me in as someone who wishes she could play this game but has no money and also a mid-tier laptop that will probably struggle with the specs for this. If it ever hits a decent discount on steam, though, I'll probably get it just for the sake of supporting Good Games.

• Locked thread