Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I love tapes. The limited dynamic range, the tape hiss, the Dolby effect, effect of tape type and the huge variety of audio artifacts you get as the tape gets old and wear out makes it more of an experience than vinyl is.

Edit: Not a better experience, just a different one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The big Advantage with reel-to-reel is that you can used 15 inch per second speed on the higher end units. That is Studio master quality it was all so easy to edit in a time when the options were vinyl or tape. I have a teac 4-channel reel-to-reel 4430 or something like that and its really nice. Sadly the spindle paddles snapped so i need new spindles for it. I also have a 6030 or something like that that needs a power cord if any chicagoons are looking for a cheap project.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I have a soft spot for some 80's gear with flashly lights and LEDs. Found this Sansui C-77 and B-77 today, 60 watts of 80s goodness.

Unit works fine, just needed a little bit of servicing. Unit is not that deep either. Sounds is what you would expect from 80's gear, but I bought it for the lights.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

TooLShack posted:

I have a soft spot for some 80's gear with flashly lights and LEDs. Found this Sansui C-77 and B-77 today, 60 watts of 80s goodness.

The lights! The aluminum! So good

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

TooLShack posted:

Unit works fine, just needed a little bit of servicing. Unit is not that deep either. Sounds is what you would expect from 80's gear, but I bought it for the lights.

Very nice! I also spy a Sansui G-9000DB. What a bruiser. That thing is a beaut.

And JBL 4430s? You have some nice stuff, my friend.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 25, 2017

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but why not. I recently inherited a Kyocera turntable from the 80s, but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to anything fancier or different than a 1200 (which are the only players I've had real experience with before). I know it used to work fine as of 6 or so years ago, but nothing has happened since then other than it has gone through a couple of moves. I've replaced the belt and everything appears to be working smoothly, but I'm only getting sound out of the left speaker, with just a hum out of the right speaker (if I turn the preamp and stereo to max volume, I can barely make out some of the song in the right speaker). Basic research has led me to believe it might be the needle or cartridge at issue. I've taking the cartridge off and basically given it the old Nintendo treatment of cleaning it with compressed air, but no change. I've also rearranged the cables from the preamp and receiver a few times, even trying different inputs, and I don't think that is the problem either.

So, I know nothing about replacing a stylus or cartridge (or whether that is the actual problem), and figured I'd ask this thread on their advice, specifically if (1) this sounds like a stylus/cartridge problem to begin with, (2) any recommendations, and (3) if you think I should just replace the stylus or also replace the cartridge. Again, I know nothing other than what was in the OP and some googling. I've replaced the cartridges on a couple 1200s in the past, but that was simply buying the cartridge head replacements that smarter people than me recommended, and that was 15 years ago so I remember nothing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TooLShack posted:

Clean as gently caress I love me some 80's Sansui stuff. It doesn't even matter how it sounds. :regd10:

Everything in this setup was free except the receiver which I paid like $20 for.
http://imgur.com/a/uIYuz

Edit: all of it has been dumped into my poor sister's NYC apartment.

I was really into Vandersteen speakers and clean A/B integrated amps for a while and now I'm moving more toward the smaller form factor, casual listening, desktop appropriate stereo setups.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 28, 2017

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Does anyone have an opinion about if my dads records are ruined from being kept in the garage?

They're dry but have been subjected to a few Texas summers

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ChinaBob posted:

Does anyone have an opinion about if my dads records are ruined from being kept in the garage?

They're dry but have been subjected to a few Texas summers
They should be fine but you would be able to tell visually if they got warped.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

wa27 posted:

They should be fine but you would be able to tell visually if they got warped.

Music to my ears. Ha ha ha...

No, but seriously I hope "the Royal Scam" is ok.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

I finally got around to getting a new belt and refurbished cartridge for this turntable. The cart cost me $230 in parts, labor and import taxes even after trading in two broken carts!

I run it through a NAD PP2e phono preamp via a custom made wiring harness that maintains the datalink connection, so I can actually skip songs on my turntable with the remote control!

The sound quality is incredible, but I have put so much money into it that I don't think I can hang on to it.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

I'm on vacation. Tracking tells me the "very good" condition copy of Aja I bought was delivered yesterday.

If the mailman jammed it in the mailbox and it's warped I'm going to be pretty upset.

It was a bitch and a half to pull "Wish you were here" out of the mailbox and that was without 3 days of mail crammed around it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ChinaBob posted:

I'm on vacation. Tracking tells me the "very good" condition copy of Aja I bought was delivered yesterday.

If the mailman jammed it in the mailbox and it's warped I'm going to be pretty upset.

It was a bitch and a half to pull "Wish you were here" out of the mailbox and that was without 3 days of mail crammed around it.

Put your mail on hold when you go on vacation

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat but there is nowhere to find a good copy of Aja locally? Awesome album but I see them all the time in nice shape. Was there something specific about that pressing you liked?

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Smeed posted:

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat but there is nowhere to find a good copy of Aja locally? Awesome album but I see them all the time in nice shape. Was there something specific about that pressing you liked?

Yeah, definitely. It's just that I live in Los Angeles and I prefer to have things mailed to me when I can to avoid spending an hour in the car. Also it would be 20 bucks down the drain if it got bent by the mailman.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
LA says it all. Screw that traffic. You might as well live in the boonies.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Smeed posted:

LA says it all. Screw that traffic. You might as well live in the boonies.

Agreed. Looking forward to getting back to Austin this summer.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
That reminds me if anyone is visiting Jacksonville FL make sure you check out Wolfson Equipment and Records. Its tucked away behind a Papa John's in a sketchy looking warehouse. Monster selection of records, all well very well organized. There have gotta be 20000 albums on that place. The guy has a year's worth of backlog of collections that he hasn't even gotten the chance to look at and price yet. Warning: it's like an oven inside.

Edit* to tie into the topic better: lots of vintage speakers and turntables here, although good luck shipping them if you're only visiting.

a dingus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 31, 2017

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I found this guy at a thrift store a couple of weeks ago but haven't had much time to play with it. Aside from a burned-out light, I think a good Deoxit-ing is all it needs to bring it back to its former glory. It even still has a protective plastic sheet on its face. Does anybody have any experience with this model?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I don't want to know what you spent on that, do I? Fully restored a 2250B can easily fetch $300.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's a keeper for sure, and with the original wooden case too

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Great score. I would still look into changing out caps in that thing. I've never had a piece of vintage equipment that didn't either sound like rear end right off the bat or quickly degrade. I think the electronics go bad just from age.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ChinaBob posted:

Yeah I think from here on out I'm only gonna have Vinyl delivered to my office. It's just not worth having to worry about it being left in the rain or bent in half to fit in the mailbox.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

The Human Cow posted:

I found this guy at a thrift store a couple of weeks ago but haven't had much time to play with it. Aside from a burned-out light, I think a good Deoxit-ing is all it needs to bring it back to its former glory. It even still has a protective plastic sheet on its face. Does anybody have any experience with this model?

Whoah. Need to start trolling thrift stores

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ChinaBob posted:

Don't it'll only lead to heartbreak and sadness. I hit 5 stores in affluent areas daily (sometimes multiple times) for a year and a half before I realized most of the good stuff gets picked out and sent to Goodwill's ebay sites. The rest gets picked off by people who basically live there. Some of it never makes its way to the shelves if the employees are smart enough to use their 'one a month' pass to buy it.

My buddy bought a Harman Kardon Citation Eleven preamp from there for $35 but that's the best deal I've ever seen irl.

OCCASIONALLY you'll find some stuff from e-recyclers but even then it's usually slim pickens and won't be cheap.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Goons, I am on the moon.

Got back from vacation today and set up my stereo. Amazingly my Frankenstein setup that combines a 70s Sansui TT and 70s "Pretty blue lights Pioneer" (but not as pretty as Marantz) with modern Bose speakers (poo poo, the black wood paneling and doesn't match 70s brown!) works and sounds great. My girlfriend is in bed and it's not clear to me that I won't stay up all night listening to records.

Hooking it all up made me feel like a character in a post-apocalyptic novel. I knew the principle of how everything worked but found myself standing there doing things like staring at the cable and the posts understanding the principle but not knowing what to do until I had a flashback from 1993 when my dad showed me how to shape the speaker wire so it was shaped like a hook and would catch posts. It felt so strange, where did that memory come from?

I made so many other, "born in 1987" mistakes operating off of hazy memories. The non-exhaustive list:

1) Forgot to connect the grounding wire ("I know how to fix that buzzing..but how?? ).

2) Had speed set to 45 instead of 33 ("45 is bigger than 33, that's where you set it for the "big" records." Listens to the Chipmunks sing Steely Dan for 30 seconds, "god dammit, ChinaBob, you're a god drat idiot").

3) Totally failed to hook the "bias weight" up to the "bias scale," did not know "bias" was a thing prior to tonight ("how in the hell did this little fishing line not break off at any point during the last 45 years!??).

Played some favorites already. "Is this it" and "Ziggy Stardust" stand out. My copy of Aja was in really bad shape (here's to hoping dad's is in better condition but he's on record as saying he's ruined more than one copy of Aja by listening to it too many times so I'm not optimistic).

Anyways. Thanks for the guidance, afa consumer purchases go this was the most daunting one I've ever researched and followed through on, including cars and homes.

Flutieflakes017 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 1, 2017

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

ChinaBob posted:

Goons, I am on the moon.

Got back from vacation today and set up my stereo. Amazingly my Frankenstein setup that combines a 70s Sansui TT and 70s "Pretty blue lights Pioneer" (but not as pretty as Marantz) with modern Bose speakers (poo poo, the black wood paneling and doesn't match 70s brown!) works and sounds great. My girlfriend is in bed and it's not clear to me that I won't stay up all night listening to records.

Hooking it all up made me feel like a character in a post-apocalyptic novel. I knew the principle of how everything worked but found myself standing there doing things like staring at the cable and the posts understanding the principle but not knowing what to do until I had a flashback from 1993 when my dad showed me how to shape the speaker wire so it was shaped like a hook and would catch posts. It felt so strange, where did that memory come from?

I made so many other, "born in 1987" mistakes operating off of hazy memories. The non-exhaustive list:

1) Forgot to connect the grounding wire ("I know how to fix that buzzing..but how?? ).

2) Had speed set to 45 instead of 33 ("45 is bigger than 33, that's where you set it for the "big" records." Listens to the Chipmunks sing Steely Dan for 30 seconds, "god dammit, ChinaBob, you're a god drat idiot").

3) Totally failed to hook the "bias weight" up to the "bias scale," did not know "bias" was a thing prior to tonight ("how in the hell did this little fishing line not break off at any point during the last 45 years!??).

Played some favorites already. "Is this it" and "Ziggy Stardust" stand out. My copy of Aja was in really bad shape (here's to hoping dad's is in better condition but he's on record as saying he's ruined more than one copy of Aja by listening to it too many times so I'm not optimistic).

Anyways. Thanks for the guidance, afa consumer purchases go this was the most daunting one I've ever researched and followed through on, including cars and homes.

Happy to hear you're happy :) The emotions and memories you describe is a big part of why I'm into this, with nostalgia both for the memories I have, and for memories I wish I had. Get us pictures!

A total of $15 yesterday and today netted me a Denon DVD-1920 with SACD capability to add to my collection of dead gay formats, and a NAD 312. It also included some thick speaker wire, speaker stands and some Cerwin-Vega mid/treble monitors. I've got it hooked up to my SL-1210 and CX100s, and for $15 I can't complain much.

Edit: And my Omnitronic sold for $140. Not bad for investing $5 and an AT-95E.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 1, 2017

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The Human Cow posted:

Very nice piece. I had a Marantz 2235b. I traded it for some newer equipment and still regret it. Great receivers and the tuner section is amazing.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Strongly considering unloading my Dual 505-2 (it's in flawless working shape) in order to finance a Pro-Ject Debut III I found on Craigslist locally for $220.

Anyone have any input on whether this is a terrible idea or not? I've always liked the look of the Pro-Ject tables, but I don't want to take a downgrade for it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I found a Sanyo rd-5340 cassette deck today. It's got everything I like: A nice-looking vacuum fluorescent peak meter, wood grain cabinet, metal finish. The only problem is this drat thing has no less than four belts that have disintegrated. I'll need to dump $25 into it just to be able to test it. Why do I keep wasting my time and money on old tape players??

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

wa27 posted:

I found a Sanyo rd-5340 cassette deck today. It's got everything I like: A nice-looking vacuum fluorescent peak meter, wood grain cabinet, metal finish. The only problem is this drat thing has no less than four belts that have disintegrated. I'll need to dump $25 into it just to be able to test it. Why do I keep wasting my time and money on old tape players??

Looking through your post history in this thread, I think you might be the American me. I currently have 5 tape decks in my apartment, although two of them are beyond repair and technically sold, since a dude paid me $50 for them a month ago but still haven't picked them up.

My SL-1210 MkII is officially done! I replaced the stylus target bulb (gently caress ever doing that again!) and did a solder job for the first time in my life to replace the hosed up phono cables of the PO with some nice thick ones! I have a Technics logo slipmat coming in the mail and it still looks bad, but I'll leave that up to the next owner to fix, since there are tons of skins and faceplates to choose from. Now to decide whether to hang on to it for a while, or sell it and enjoy the $$$.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

evobatman posted:

Looking through your post history in this thread, I think you might be the American me. I currently have 5 tape decks in my apartment, although two of them are beyond repair and technically sold, since a dude paid me $50 for them a month ago but still haven't picked them up.
I think ultimately I'm just frustrated that I love the late-70s stereo aesthetics. Wood grain and silver faces are my favorite. But for cassette stuff you're much better off getting a black plastic deck from the 90s. Not only will the belts work, it will (generally) sound better. So I'm costing myself time and money for a visual preference, which is kind of stupid.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

minivanmegafun posted:

I don't want to know what you spent on that, do I? Fully restored a 2250B can easily fetch $300.

It was $99, so it wasn't the score of the century or anything like that, but I thought that wasn't bad since my cursory testing in the store turned out pretty well.

Smeed posted:

Great score. I would still look into changing out caps in that thing. I've never had a piece of vintage equipment that didn't either sound like rear end right off the bat or quickly degrade. I think the electronics go bad just from age.

I may do that...I'm decently handy with a soldering iron. I may go ahead and replace the lamps with LEDs too while I'm in there but something about putting LEDs in a piece of old equipment like this just feels wrong to me for some reason.

ChinaBob posted:

Be patient...this is only the second decent vintage audio find I've had at this store, and I've been stopping in every so often for 10 years or so. Non-corporate thrift stores tend to have better stuff because it's not shipped to a central location and recirculated. Goodwill even has an online auction site now to sell anything worth having.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

evobatman posted:

My SL-1210 MkII is officially done! I replaced the stylus target bulb (gently caress ever doing that again!)

I really want to put an LED in my M3D but I'm scared of loving up my beautiful functional turntable.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

I really want to put an LED in my M3D but I'm scared of loving up my beautiful functional turntable.

Just buy a separate stylus light assembly, put the LED into that and replace the whole thing. Don't do what I did and replace just the bulb by twisting wires and using electrical tape while the mechanism is still attached to the table.

Edit: $30 today got me this.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 4, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got a stack of stereo magazines from 1970 at an auction for $3 today:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
What is that thing in the bottom left? Looks amazing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jeza posted:

What is that thing in the bottom left? Looks amazing.

Not real, unfortunately. It's a concept sketch from an article where one of the editors describes his ideal tape recorder in great detail. The "starksonics sr-1"

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Bad news. Right channel on receiver went out. Made some minor attempts at fixing it but stopped short of replacing transistors. I've had it less than 2-weeks so I contacted the ebay seller requesting to return. I guess this is what happens when you buy 40-year old poo poo on ebay!

If I can get it returned maybe I'll get something from one of the local record stores. If not, I'll suck it up and get it repaired I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I don't really think it's fair to try to return a 40 year old device that worked when you received it.