Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drifter posted:

I don't understand what half of that means.

Means we're not getting a third Conjuring. Bummer. I quite liked 70s Married Couple X-Files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Using Crush 40 shows more commitment to the Sonic brand then I expected.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Using Crush 40 shows more commitment to the Sonic brand then I expected.

gotta get that appeal to fandom in early to fuel the free nerd articles about 5 Ways The Sonic The Hedgehog Movie Is Doing Things Right

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Means we're not getting a third Conjuring. Bummer. I quite liked 70s Married Couple X-Files.

Pretty much this. It'll turn into "how much money do you want to just go away" and tossing out any development they have on follow up movies.

It does put their Annabelle sequel into a weird spot, though. That thing's done, the question is does Demonologist dude get a judge to put a freeze on anything Conjuring related before August.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

I checked up on this a while back, he'd actually float away.

E: oh yeah, even worse

McSpanky posted:

It would be pretty great if Ant-Man's mass didn't change when he embiggened, since that would make him less than half as dense as the average Macy's Day parade balloon and his tissues would be far too thin to hold his body together against any significant stresses (like say, a stiff breeze, or a payload of rockets from a billionaire's warsuit). He'd both float away helplessly and rip apart like wet tissues at the same time! An even more gruesome Physics of Superheroes example than properly scaling the mass up.

Also there'd be a a bunch of brain issues due to expanding his neurons / moving them further apart, not to mention issues with absorbing oxygen through his enlarged lungs, etc etc etc.. None of it makes sense except via ~** movie magic**~

He did mention in the film that he'd only tried the Giant Man trick once before and he'd passed out so there's an excuse there for him to be moving so slow, although I think it would have worked better if he'd been staggering around like a drunk instead of moving in slow motion.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My absolute favorite thing about the WB lawsuit is that a major movie studio literally told its producers to not read the book that they were making a movie based on in order to have plausible deniability.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Sonic has blue arms now so I bet that's not real.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rough Lobster posted:

Sonic has blue arms now so I bet that's not real.

Chris-Chan has an EP credit on the Sonic movie.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Vintersorg posted:

I love how Supes eyes hurt a bit after doing that poo poo. I think Zod goes through some pain doing it as well.
Just a bit. :v:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My absolute favorite thing about the WB lawsuit is that a major movie studio literally told its producers to not read the book that they were making a movie based on in order to have plausible deniability.

This is what happens when you want to pretend made up bullshit is non-fiction. WB should have known better than to get into financial bed with those hucksters.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't understand why WB and New Line went through such hoops to evade a 30+ year copyright.

Am I dreaming or have there not been tons of movies that were obviously bullshit that had "Based on THE ACTUAL EVENTS" plastered all over them?

Were the Warrens really such household names that they couldn't have just made the movie about other people?

Also, when googling the Warrens I found a blurb about how they successfully pushed to get their 1991 book about "exorcising a demon that manifested itself as a werewolf" published as non-fiction. lol.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 1, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There is an astonishing amount of supernatural horseshit that is foisted on the world as non-fiction. Every single one of Sylvia Brown's hack bullshit books is in non-fiction at your local library, just like The Secret. That they would actually have to expend effort to get their ghosts an other things we made up book categorized as non-fiction is somewhat surprising.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Then why go through all the risk and effort? Seems dumb, when you can slap on "TRUE STORY" to any movie and have no issues.

That horrible Discovery Channel "documentary" on Mermaids still has people thinking it was real because it was sold as a true story.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Non-fiction as a category or genre is a marketing ploy and you shouldn't get so caught up on what has that label.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Then why go through all the risk and effort? Seems dumb, when you can slap on "TRUE STORY" to any movie and have no issues.

That horrible Discovery Channel "documentary" on Mermaids still has people thinking it was real because it was sold as a true story.

The mermaid special is pretty crap, but animal planet did a fake doc called cannibal in the jungle and it is fantastic

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Non-fiction as a category or genre is a marketing ploy and you shouldn't get so caught up on what has that label.

Kids in school are taught that fiction means it was made up while non-fiction means it's real, which is why the use of non-fiction as a marketing ploy is troublesome.

I mean we could have schools teach more accurate definitions, but being loose with non-fiction is an issue way, way down on the list of things that schools need to do better.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/XCoFeAU.gifv
http://i.imgur.com//tYXkjlS.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/ZSR1caA.gifv

Spider-Man is, in contrast, a protector of cars:

http://i.imgur.com/UMyTQRu.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/2ZoTmS9.gifv

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Re: the giant man talk. Going from the dialogue, I felt that he moved so slow because he wasn't used to it. He said he had only done it once before and it didn't go so well. Those slow deliberate movements could be partially fear and a sense of unbalance since he's not used to being so drat tall. I very well could be wrong, so ymmv.

E: rewatched the scene and yeah he's definitely lumberino and slow. Far too slow for what I was thinking. If they had added a sense of lost Balance my idea would work.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Raimi Spider-Man is sooooooooo good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Ant-Man stuff in that is very good because it doesn't matter if he means to or not, he almost kills people a few times in it because he's not fully in control or treating it like a play-fight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Spider-Man is, in contrast, a protector of cars:

When someone's in the car I sure hope so!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lol the continuity in that civil war clip is busted too. The truck spider man kicks over reappears in the same spot when the shot reverses. It's almost Bayhemian

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also god drat I forgot how bad X-Men Apocalypse looked.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also god drat I forgot how bad X-Men Apocalypse looked.

Yeah I appreciate their dedication to wire work but it looks like trash. It doesn't help that every actor in the scene is on some small town reperatory poo poo. X Men should absolutely be a hammy melodrama but for gently caress's sake with the eyebrow acting

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I appreciate their dedication to wire work but it looks like trash. It doesn't help that every actor in the scene is on some small town reperatory poo poo. X Men should absolutely be a hammy melodrama but for gently caress's sake with the eyebrow acting

Beast looks like a total idiot (and they'd figured it out incredibly well with Kelsey Grammer a decade ago), the compositing of Psylocke looks terrible, none of the characters contrast with their surroundings in the slightest, etc. I'm sure you could post clips of Legends of Tomorrow that look better than that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Destroying cars has felt like it's become such a cliche in movies but then I posted that Action Comics cover and realized that it's literally been the most iconic image of a superhero since the very beginning.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Every once in a while Apocalypse has a shot I like, but, yeah, an awful looking movie much of the time.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Am I crazy or does ASM2 look like the winner of that matchup. Maybe Im just sympathetic to Spider-Man since he saves cars rather than destroys them.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lobok posted:

Destroying cars has felt like it's become such a cliche in movies but then I posted that Action Comics cover and realized that it's literally been the most iconic image of a superhero since the very beginning.

The context is really different though. The Superman car is occupied, explicitly, and is the first but not last image of his willingness to destroy property, personal or private. The best later analogue is Miracleman and Kid Miracleman beating each other with cars while families are still in them, or Hancock's emphasis on the consequences of automobile antics. The Marvel movie obsession with car violence (and to a lesser extent the Snyder DC movies) is creepy because the cars are stand ins for civilian casualties, not instruments of them.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

But yeah X-Men AAPocalypse seems like a completely revolting movie from any angle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

net cafe scandal posted:

Am I crazy or does ASM2 look like the winner of that matchup. Maybe Im just sympathetic to Spider-Man since he saves cars rather than destroys them.

The match cut to him catching the car looks pretty bad. But yeah, the problem with the ASM movies is not the way they look.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Beast looks like a total idiot (and they'd figured it out incredibly well with Kelsey Grammer a decade ago), the compositing of Psylocke looks terrible, none of the characters contrast with their surroundings in the slightest, etc. I'm sure you could post clips of Legends of Tomorrow that look better than that.

Can't forget the signature visual fuckup of X-Men: Apocalypese, the fact that there's two useless reaction shots in a row from Jean after Storm first lands. The editing in that movie just steps on a rake at every possible opportunity

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Can't forget the signature visual fuckup of X-Men: Apocalypese, the fact that there's two useless reaction shots in a row from Jean after Storm first lands. The editing in that movie just steps on a rake at every possible opportunity

The reaction shots are there to establish spatial relationships and it "works" because they are very clear and obvious but they also look really stupid! You can see the way BVS distinguishes itself using a largely undifferentiated plane of debris by emphasizing scale, distance, speed, etc.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

The reaction shots are there to establish spatial relationships and it "works" because they are very clear and obvious but they also look really stupid! You can see the way BVS distinguishes itself using a largely undifferentiated plane of debris by emphasizing scale, distance, speed, etc.

Oh poo poo you know what it is? The gif was auto-looping so I didn't realize until I loaded it in its own tab that the somewhat further-back reaction shot of Jean, Cyclops, and Beast was at the end of the clip, not the start. I thought we literally had three shots of the three of them facing right and looking concerned in a row - two in a row is still bad, but not as bad

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh poo poo you know what it is? The gif was auto-looping so I didn't realize until I loaded it in its own tab that the somewhat further-back reaction shot of Jean, Cyclops, and Beast was at the end of the clip, not the start. I thought we literally had three shots of the three of them facing right and looking concerned in a row - two in a row is still bad, but not as bad

I only recognized it because I'd seen the movie, so I don't blame you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Re: the giant man talk. Going from the dialogue, I felt that he moved so slow because he wasn't used to it. He said he had only done it once before and it didn't go so well. Those slow deliberate movements could be partially fear and a sense of unbalance since he's not used to being so drat tall. I very well could be wrong, so ymmv.

E: rewatched the scene and yeah he's definitely lumberino and slow. Far too slow for what I was thinking. If they had added a sense of lost Balance my idea would work.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the gifs don't capture some inherit weight that the film has?

Because I've only seen Giant Man from these gifs and holy poo poo that looks terrible. He seriously looks like he's just inflated and struggling not to get swept away by the wind. You just

You don't tell an actor to act like they're giant. That's stupid and it ends up looking stupid. Now if he WAS acting unbalanced, that'd be a whole other thing, but no. He's just acting like he's filled with helium.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think he's all CG. Which like, duh, and I'm sure he's mocapped, but I feel like (at least from that gif) they had a mocap actor do normal "back hand throwing" or "slide a box with your foot" motions then slowed it down, rather than saying "pretend you're a giant throwing a little dude and act all slow and stupid".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how they came up with the effect, but it looks real bad. Christ look how slow he is throwing War Machine. That's comical.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh it's a stupid effect no doubt, just feeling pedantic this fine Saturday afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Raimi Spider-Man is sooooooooo good.

U get the classic Raimi pov cam in that with the car but I really dig how it stays on the reaction past the immediate "im gettin hit by a car". It's held just long enough that their confusion plays/rubs off on you, it shows Peter's priority being the people & it also slows down the scene enough that Spiderman swinging by still comes off as fast after the car chase.

• Locked thread