Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I've never actually heard of a place lowering the minimum wage. What the gently caress? Why is this a thing that they can even do?

Most people who vote republican are doing so against their own best interests so this doesn't seem unusual. Just look at how many rubes are crawling out of the woodwork to say they regret voting for Trump.

Yeah but the median income of Trump voters was higher than it was for Clinton- the focus on the "working class rebellion" is kind of a false narrative. It's the elites voting to keep their taxes low and *just enough* rubes getting conned to make it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

CelticPredator posted:

What the Christ is shittown

Its south of Cumtown

Speaking of David Lynch...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Budgie Jumping posted:

What the poo poo. Elephant Man is like my favorite movie and I had no idea about that.

He didn't take credit for The Elephant Man or The Fly because he knew his name would give the wrong idea about the films.

Also, Brooks loved Eraserhead, which is why he hired Lynch to direct The Elephant Man.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Started to watch X-Men Apocalypse just now and I like the idea that Professor Xavier just rotates in his wheelchair while he reads stuff at the students conveniently gathered in a circle around him. Like, for 90 minutes. Round and round. And they all take notes, too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Google search finds me no such thing as shittown other than a Facebook link and a twitter profile for a 23 year old woman.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Google search finds me no such thing as shittown other than a Facebook link and a twitter profile for a 23 year old woman.

It's censored as S-Town.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The podcast is titled s town.

The s stands for poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

We're trying to set you up on a date dude.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Egbert Souse posted:

He didn't take credit for The Elephant Man or The Fly because he knew his name would give the wrong idea about the films.

Also, Brooks loved Eraserhead, which is why he hired Lynch to direct The Elephant Man.

Yes now I remember hearing about this. Very cool. Mel Brooks is a great man and those who speak ill of him or his work will taste my wrath. Except Spaceballs, I get why people don't like that one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To be sure Brooks relies on very corny hacky material, but sometimes that's really really funny.

It's sort of the Muppet Show principle that a joke that is not good enough to tell once may be bad enough to tell several times.

And yeah, as a producer/backer of talent he's great. Kept the suits off Lynch's back on Elephant Man, told Cronenberg to go as extreme as he wanted, etc.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Ok folks what's on deck tonight, It Follows or The Babadook

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I haven't seen It Follows but The Babadook is fantastic.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I prefer Babadook, but you can't go wrong with either.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Babadook

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dook it up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Both are fantastic Babadook is slightly better I would say.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Babadook is fun but It Follows has a better soundtrack.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ya I'm team Babadook too

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be sure Brooks relies on very corny hacky material, but sometimes that's really really funny.

It's sort of the Muppet Show principle that a joke that is not good enough to tell once may be bad enough to tell several times.

And yeah, as a producer/backer of talent he's great. Kept the suits off Lynch's back on Elephant Man, told Cronenberg to go as extreme as he wanted, etc.

He's probably the only writer who can write a script with equal number of dick jokes and Dostoevsky references.

The Twelve Chairs is way underrated, by the way.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Holy poo poo, Queen Kong is just so amazing. The lyrics to the opening credits theme (performed by a band called "Pepper") are so amazing, and holy poo poo the entire soundtrack was released stateside in '05! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcaGS8bHpg

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"A very nasty movie about a dog that dies again and again until he finds people who know how to take care of him. He dies a lot"
- A 4 year child on A Dog's Purpose.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 1, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Decided to just fully embrace how depressed ive been this week today by watching The Tibetan Book of the Dead documentary narrated by Leonard Cohen and rewatching Harlan County, USA, which makes me emotional as poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

You should watch The Babadook first because It Follows

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

He's probably the only writer who can write a script with equal number of dick jokes and Dostoevsky references.

Someone needs to see Love and Death.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

"A very nasty movie about a dog that dies again and again until he finds people who know how to take care of him. He dies a lot"

Genchat: "A very nasty movie about a dog"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lol who the gently caress cares enough to buy me a title?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A not great double feature: Cumtown and Shittown

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Babadook is an excellent movie. I do think that it is (as peculiar as this may sound) far too close to my own lived experiences for me to say that I liked it. I appreciate its honesty and optimism, and I recognize it as a great film, but I can't say that watching it was an enjoyable or amusing experience. Not all good films need to be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Twelve Chairs really does this amazing job of capturing a specific kind of world weary European humor. "The church must change with the times."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FreudianSlippers posted:

All You Need is Stick, starring Tom "Good Boy" Cruise and Emily Bark.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwlA8kPGt4

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Someone needs to see Love and Death.

All of Woody Allen's 70s comedies are gold, though he didn't seem to do much in the way of dick joke humor other than Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex. Unless the orgasm sphere in Sleeper counts.

Also, here's Orson Welles gushing over Andy Kaufman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGlWAFy1LU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You should watch The Babadook first because It Follows

This, and also Babadook will seem like a wet fart after It Follows.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Got to see Metropolitan for the first time tonight (really liked it!) and then bend Whit Stillman's ear for a couple of questions about writing after the showing. He was a very helpful, soft-spoken and pleasant subject.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

Most people who vote republican are doing so against their own best interests so this doesn't seem unusual. Just look at how many rubes are crawling out of the woodwork to say they regret voting for Trump.

No they aren't. Republicans make more on average than democrats or the general population, have a higher median income, and live in less expensive counties to boot. Republicans don't win by tricking large numbers of poor people, they win by ensuring minimum turnout, which Democrats enable by constantly moving right and kicking their base.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

I love The Twelve Chairs so much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love The Pick of Destiny so much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Corn dogs are so loving tasty

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Went to a midnight sing along screening of Selena and goddamn did I love seeing that film in a theater full of Mexicans.

Anything for Selenas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CelticPredator posted:

I love The Pick of Destiny so much.

I was idly wondering the other day if that held up, might have to revisit it.

• Locked thread