Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

I just kind of get the impression that's how they talk. You'd probably get the same sort of fatalistic monologue if you asked them how to make a sandwich or change a tire.

She probably asks every single person who walks past if they are the true monarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, the player in ds1 is just another in a long line of random fuckos who happened to stumble out of the asylum and into the mainland, with all the prophecy bell crap and whatever not even being entirely accurate

in ds3 you're one of many random fuckos who got woken up to maybe kinda do the job of dragging some lazy assholes back to the kiln, but no one really expects you to be able to do it

dark souls has a long history of just kinda shoving random idiots into big situations

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I. Love. The Spears covenant. I've got max rank and it's hillarious to poo poo on Havels with Dark Swords or parties of three waiting to gank.

It feels wrong, but I dont wanna be right.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just beat the first boss and did From personally kill all the video game people I follow on twitter's parents or something right before this came out? I do not think I have ever seen this many people so incredibly angry about what seems like pretty standard Soulsborne Content.

Maybe the final boss causes seizures, I dunno

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

dark souls has a long history of just kinda shoving random idiots into big situations

The Gods solve their problems by throwing undead at the problem until it's fixed :v:

In DS1 you're told the CHOSEN UNDEAD (nevermind that they call everyone that), in DS2 you're just a "bearer of the curse" and the Herald is like "psst kid wanna be a king?" and in DS3 you're presumably one of the many failed chosen undead, resurrected again and straight up given a job.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Only due to how outrageously good and awesome it is :tviv:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHISHKABOB posted:

She probably asks every single person who walks past if they are the true monarch.

If they're undead then she literally does. When you first show up you're nothing special to her. She gives that same spiel to every undead that comes around.

That said, you're nothing special in DS1 either. You're just some garbage undead that gets dropped into Lordran and pursues the same vague prophecy that countless other undead have. The closest you come to being some special snowflake is in DS3 where you are one of the unkindled. Granted some unkindled are still useless trash (Hawkwood) but from the start of game you have a special status that makes you stand out. Its reflected in how a lot of NPCs talk to you. Many of them are amazed to have encountered an actual champion of ash and treat you with way more respect right off the bat.

Its a pretty big contrast to DS1 & 2 where for most of the game NPCs just view you as another trash undead stumbling around.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Raposa posted:

Run down them, hug the right hand wall and you'll find a corridor full of curse birds, go down it, avoid the ring spear knight, cross the bridge and drop down on the right. From here you can either go left and climb a ladder to go find items/an invader or you can drop down into the swamp and go right to find the next bonfire.

Or just use Hidden Body and the Slumbering Dragoncrest ring to run straight down the steps.

I was gonna recommend just running straight down the stairs and simply avoiding the blobby guys; they're pretty slow. At the bottom, keep making rights and you're at the next bonfire.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hmm, how many infinitely respawning dead people can we throw at this issue until one of them lucks into doing it :how:

- some assholes

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I just beat the first boss and did From personally kill all the video game people I follow on twitter's parents or something right before this came out? I do not think I have ever seen this many people so incredibly angry about what seems like pretty standard Soulsborne Content.

It's all hard but very doable. I think it's a distinct lack of "git gudding".

I definitely threw myself into the meat grinder a few times but after just studying patterns and not being greedy, I waa able to beat em without much difficulty. (Spears was hillariously easy but your milage really loving varies)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The angels require patience and careful observation to get past. These are two things the average gamer never has.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Killed Midir, and it feels so good

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean, the player in ds1 is just another in a long line of random fuckos who happened to stumble out of the asylum and into the mainland, with all the prophecy bell crap and whatever not even being entirely accurate

in ds3 you're one of many random fuckos who got woken up to maybe kinda do the job of dragging some lazy assholes back to the kiln, but no one really expects you to be able to do it

Throw enough undead at the wall and one of them rekindles the flame

Internet Kraken posted:

If they're undead then she literally does. When you first show up you're nothing special to her. She gives that same spiel to every undead that comes around.

That said, you're nothing special in DS1 either. You're just some garbage undead that gets dropped into Lordran and pursues the same vague prophecy that countless other undead have. The closest you come to being some special snowflake is in DS3 where you are one of the unkindled. Granted some unkindled are still useless trash (Hawkwood) but from the start of game you have a special status that makes you stand out. Its reflected in how a lot of NPCs talk to you. Many of them are amazed to have encountered an actual champion of ash and treat you with way more respect right off the bat.

Its a pretty big contrast to DS1 & 2 where for most of the game NPCs just view you as another trash undead stumbling around.

What's his name that gives you the darksign is kind of amazed. I don't remember anyone else acting like that. But regardless, being risen for a purpose and having expectations from the start is in contrast to you being plan C and have no business being risen.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

You get a lot of "chosen one" talk from the emerald herald.

Bearer seek seek lest

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What's his name that gives you the darksign is kind of amazed. I don't remember anyone else acting like that. But regardless, being risen for a purpose and having expectations from the start is in contrast to you being plan C and have no business being risen.

Yoel, Greirat, and Cleric Lady all express astonishment at meeting an unkindled. Siegward and Andre talk about how important the duty of an unkindled is too. The game makes it out to be a status that holds some degree of respect. Not that everyone cares of course. You run into Eygon pretty early and he doesn't give a gently caress about you, in typical Dark Souls fashion.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Dark Sigil :eng101: The Darksign is with you from the start of the game.

That said, several NPCs react to the fact that you're an unkindled (and several specifically call you 'Champion of Ash'). Also interesting to note that Gael says (before sending you into the painting) that "They of Ash never fail." and it seems like a lot of NPCs just assume that you'll do anything you're asked of.... which of course is exactly what we do :shepface:

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Uncle w Benefits posted:

VaatiVidya makes something like 6000 dollars a month off patreon, so he needs to answer these post haste.

Unbelievable that we live in a world where a guy who rips theories from 4chan and Reddit can make that much money, I guess the good thing about the series ending is he and the other youtubers will fade in to obscurity.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Anybody have an idea why spears doesn't seem to be pulling me in? I've been waiting for what seems like an hour now. Is the covenant broken?

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 1, 2017

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, I am just about completely stuck in the new DLC:

I'm at the earthen peak ruins bonfire, and no matter what I do, that obnoxious screeching tree thing murders me with blasts of light. Hidden body + slumbering dragon ring do nothing, so I assume it magically knows where I am at all times, but no matter what I do I eventually end up in a position where it's shooting straight at me, and dodge-rolling won't get me out of its line of fire. My suicide runs have gotten me as far as the poison swamp, but it's still there; am I missing a mechanic, or does it really want me to do this over and over until I get lucky with my rolls?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Unbelievable that we live in a world where a guy who rips theories from 4chan and Reddit can make that much money, I guess the good thing about the series ending is he and the other youtubers will fade in to obscurity.

The key is to use your "profound NPR" voice.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm at the earthen peak ruins bonfire, and no matter what I do, that obnoxious screeching tree thing murders me with blasts of light. Hidden body + slumbering dragon ring do nothing, so I assume it magically knows where I am at all times, but no matter what I do I eventually end up in a position where it's shooting straight at me, and dodge-rolling won't get me out of its line of fire. My suicide runs have gotten me as far as the poison swamp, but it's still there; am I missing a mechanic, or does it really want me to do this over and over until I get lucky with my rolls?

Yes, keep running, get to the far end of the swamp on the left, run up tree branch, circle around and up, you will see a desert sorceress, turn back behind you and leap to building roof, her root thing is there and you can squish her dead. Mind there is two roots in the swamp you want the further one, roll up that. A strong lightning resist shield or Havels held in two hands with lightning infusion will help if you cannot roll through.

Gimbal lock posted:

Anybody have an idea why spears doesn't seem to be pulling me in? I've been waiting for what seems like an hour now. Is the covenant broken?

Reload the area you are in, have you worn the covenant item yet? It increases your summon chance. Also what Soul level and new game? I am SL 150 and NG3 but I have found I keep getting paired against people who are in just base NG. It is weird.

On a less helpful note I did a thing I am super proud of.

http://i.imgur.com/5fsrnDR.gifv

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The Ringed City covenant is the most fun I've had in this game in ages. It's a shame that it sometimes takes forever to get summoned due to the limited area it's in effect for.

Omi no Kami posted:

You're supposed to use cover to block line of sight with them. Straight up just run from one piece of cover to the next, only one spot at the very end will have you in the line of sight for any dangerous amount of time and that's if you miss one of the spawners before getting to that spot.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Also RE:Angels, if you agro them and hide in cover long enough wait for them to freak out and begin casting their ground based curse, during that cast you can run a LONG way before they get cranky and throw bolts again.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Feonir posted:

Reload the area you are in, have you worn the covenant item yet? It increases your summon chance. Also what Soul level and new game? I am SL 150 and NG3 but I have found I keep getting paired against people who are in just base NG. It is weird.
I do have the covenant item and am wearing it, and it's blinking. I'm hanging out right in front of the church where the fight happens. I'm soul level 90, base NG. Maybe my level is a little low?

Oh hey, it DOES work. It's just very rare. Good to know.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I feel like a dummy for never even thinking to try blocking, thank you guys!! That makes this way more survivable. ^^

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I'm pretty sure your NG level has nothing to do with matchmaking. Only your character and weapon level.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Here's how to deal with the angels, easy mode:

1. There's a specific route (or routes) that the devs want you to take to avoid the angels. These routes are usually pretty obvious, the exception being the final angel derping around in the swamp. Just use your noggin and your eyes and with a little trial and error you can dash past all of them.

2. The angels have a set pattern of fire. They will open with a blast that is fairly easy to roll through with minimal damage. Then they will fire a second similarly easy to avoid blast. Finally, they will scream and go nuts and start just spamming lasers at you Robotech style. If you are not behind cover at this point you are probably dead. Every route has cover that is at worst reachable by the start of the third blast, meaning with good rolling you can survive guaranteed.

3. The angels can spawn a curse zone on you. This is slow and localized and you can usually stay in cover even with a curse zone spawned. However, the better option is to just make a dash for the next piece of cover when they start casting it, they will not shoot lasers while they're doing it and it has a long cast time.

4. The first two angels can be killed very early and easily, without them ever even getting a good shot on you. The first angel is easily killed by allowing the tower to fall then circling back around over the fallen tower and then dropping down (in cover) and killing his body. The second angel is even easier. After you run through his first little cover gauntlet, you arrive in a broken down enclosure with an axe thrall inside (this is immediately before you drop down to the swamp proper). There's an opening on your left from which you can see a little shack on the edge of the cliff. If you run over to the near side of that shack and press up against it, the small overhang of the roof will block the angels LOS to you. Looking down the cliff from there, you have a clean shot at his body and can easily kill it with any bow or crossbow. This way you never have to deal with his second appearance (after Zoey) which is super nice.

5. The final (and generally hardest) angel in the swamp has two main routes which you can take. You can either go left or right from the shack with the two poison shroom bugs. If you go left, there is more cover, although you will have to kill some bugs and do some rolling through lasers, as the angel has clear LOS to you the whole time. Get him to spawn a curse zone and use that to make the final dash past the big pack of bugs to the big roots. Alternatively, you can go to the right from the shack, under the big roots, and deal with the enemies in there (There is a Slab in here as well). After that it's a pretty easy little run to the big roots at the end of the swamp at which point you can ascend up and take care of his body (it's on the rooftops).

There, now nobody has an excuse to ever die to the angels again. I'm glad I have solved this problem for all time and I expect a nice and tidy thread from here on out.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Just finished the DLC. The dragon was a loving nightmare to fight. Holy poo poo. I only had one respec left, and I didn't want to use it to respec into a build that could cast Pestilent Mercury. I definitely improved a lot over the course of several attempts and just staying in front of it and dodging/reading the tells, but for the life of me I could not figure out the optimal time/way to close the distance and actually deal damage. I summoned my buddy who was running a Pyromancer build and he was able to lay down Pestilent Mercury to do a fair bit of damage, but with the added HP from having a summon and it being NG+, my meager skills were still not up to the task. Enter the Exile Greatsword. I spent a long time loving around with this thing back when the game first came out, but I genuinely believe that Curved Greatswords were quietly the worst class of weapons in the game until the most recent patch, so I bailed for something that was actually good (O&U, CCS, Broadsword, Friede's Scythe, I could go on...). Went back to it because of the hype and holy everlasting poo poo it did not disappoint. I had been using the Sellsword Twinblades before, and the difference was night and day. I had RANGE! Honest to goodness RANGE! Not having to get right up in kissing range of the boss was the final piece of the puzzle. So many near-misses became hits, and the damage was just stellar.

I miss having a dual-wield moveset. Sellsword Twinblades, Warden Twinblades, and Friede's Scythe for its stance-change are some of my favorite weapons in the series (except for DkS2, where powerstancing was the most beautiful and underappreciated mechanic in the history of entertainment), but man, having a heavy-hitting weapon really made the fight a ton more manageable. And with the new dual-wield Ultra Greatsword weapon now on the menu, suddenly respeccing for this boss fight doesn't seem so bad!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I did the big goon PSN batch file thing. Is this different?

I saw a lot of people fighting lothric brothers with ringed city weapons, which was fun. Then I noticed that as I was being insta-summoned, fights were already in progress. Was there a feature added that auto-joins boss fights if you put your sign down, and the host is eligible?

I didn't see it linked, but here is what basically looks like an official canon explanation about the ending that I haven't seen yet.

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/847881281149042689

This is just a chat group for DS3. No clue what the batch file thing is.

hanales fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 1, 2017

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I don't know if this has been pointed out before but I didn't see it posted here. So, did anyone notice that if you defeat the Soul of Cinder after beating the DLC that a different version of the credits music plays over the credits? I mean, it's basically the same song but with a piano added for good measure. Sounds neat. Makes me wonder if they intended for there to be another ending originally. Because I figure if there was one they'd have found it by now. After all people figured out that obtuse humanity puzzle in the DLC.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Yeah the Heavy Exile Greatsword gets S scaling from the infusion and hits like a truck with my quality build.

Protip: If a weapon has a B or better str scaling its better to heavy gem ot than a refined gem. My Exile GS had over 50 better AR with a heavy gem vs refined at 40/40 str/dex

i am probably just going to respec to strength/poise before they get patched. Long live fuckoff big weapons

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 1, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So if I'm using lightning or darkmoon to buff my weapon, what kind of chime or whatever do I want to use? Cleric's Sacred Chime?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So if I'm using lightning or darkmoon to buff my weapon, what kind of chime or whatever do I want to use? Cleric's Sacred Chime?

Saint's chime for PvP (poise casting)

Yorshka's for PvE. (pure damage/scaling)

If you use saints only take it to +9. Unless you want to get an extra 1 spell buff at the cost of a slab

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AttackBacon posted:

Here's how to deal with the angels, easy mode:

1. There's a specific route (or routes) that the devs want you to take to avoid the angels. These routes are usually pretty obvious, the exception being the final angel derping around in the swamp. Just use your noggin and your eyes and with a little trial and error you can dash past all of them.

2. The angels have a set pattern of fire. They will open with a blast that is fairly easy to roll through with minimal damage. Then they will fire a second similarly easy to avoid blast. Finally, they will scream and go nuts and start just spamming lasers at you Robotech style. If you are not behind cover at this point you are probably dead. Every route has cover that is at worst reachable by the start of the third blast, meaning with good rolling you can survive guaranteed.

3. The angels can spawn a curse zone on you. This is slow and localized and you can usually stay in cover even with a curse zone spawned. However, the better option is to just make a dash for the next piece of cover when they start casting it, they will not shoot lasers while they're doing it and it has a long cast time.

4. The first two angels can be killed very early and easily, without them ever even getting a good shot on you. The first angel is easily killed by allowing the tower to fall then circling back around over the fallen tower and then dropping down (in cover) and killing his body. The second angel is even easier. After you run through his first little cover gauntlet, you arrive in a broken down enclosure with an axe thrall inside (this is immediately before you drop down to the swamp proper). There's an opening on your left from which you can see a little shack on the edge of the cliff. If you run over to the near side of that shack and press up against it, the small overhang of the roof will block the angels LOS to you. Looking down the cliff from there, you have a clean shot at his body and can easily kill it with any bow or crossbow. This way you never have to deal with his second appearance (after Zoey) which is super nice.

5. The final (and generally hardest) angel in the swamp has two main routes which you can take. You can either go left or right from the shack with the two poison shroom bugs. If you go left, there is more cover, although you will have to kill some bugs and do some rolling through lasers, as the angel has clear LOS to you the whole time. Get him to spawn a curse zone and use that to make the final dash past the big pack of bugs to the big roots. Alternatively, you can go to the right from the shack, under the big roots, and deal with the enemies in there (There is a Slab in here as well). After that it's a pretty easy little run to the big roots at the end of the swamp at which point you can ascend up and take care of his body (it's on the rooftops).

There, now nobody has an excuse to ever die to the angels again. I'm glad I have solved this problem for all time and I expect a nice and tidy thread from here on out.

you're actually supposed to do a running jump to the root below for the second angel, it's just that no one can actually figure that out with nonstop attacks coming at you. I put some signs down but doubt they helped

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do dark spells scale differently to others or is using them with 60 int fine?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Depends on your Faith. At 30, use the Cleric's Chime or the standard Talisman. At 60, use Yorshka's Chime or the Saint's Talisman. The Saint's Talisman has a REALLY terrible poise buff though, so if that's important (probably not if you're just casting buff spells) you're better off using the standard Talisman.

The chimes have better spell buff overall to make up for their lack of Unfaltering Prayer, so if you just want pure power, use chimes.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 1, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Your Computer posted:

Also interesting to note that Gael says (before sending you into the painting) that "They of Ash never fail." and it seems like a lot of NPCs just assume that you'll do anything you're asked of.... which of course is exactly what we do :shepface:

That is kind of interesting. I guess I feel like no one gives a gently caress about you in 3 still, because everyone focuses on the I don't know "institution" of the unkindled. You have an important duty that is treated is reverence, you're supposed to fix everything. But you're just some random rear end in a top hat that already failed to link the fire there's a bunch of unkindled, and they probably get the same shpeil

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That is kind of interesting. I guess I feel like no one gives a gently caress about you in 3 still, because everyone focuses on the I don't know "institution" of the unkindled. You have an important duty that is treated is reverence, you're supposed to fix everything. But you're just some random rear end in a top hat that already failed to link the fire there's a bunch of unkindled, and they probably get the same shpeil

This is what makes the Londor ending the most satisfying. Sure, you're just doing what some weird zombie cultists tell you to, but at least they'll call you a lord.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Willfrey posted:

Saint's chime for PvP (poise casting)

Yorshka's for PvE. (pure damage/scaling)

If you use saints only take it to +9. Unless you want to get an extra 1 spell buff at the cost of a slab

I don't really plan to do combat buffing. Mostly just a pre-battle buff before I smack a dude so I'll go for yorshka. Thanks friendo.

Quick testing shows me that darkmoon is the best with fire and lightning relatively close behind. Dark is a little bit behind them and blessed is just way down there which is a shame because blessed weapon looks rad.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Maybe it's just my weird rationalizing and acknowledgment that I don't have infinite time to play games but when it comes to Souls bosses my process is:
- Attempt the boss by myself at least a few times
- If it's unfun or I feel like I don't have a chance I look for NPC summons
- If they don't work then I bring in phantoms

This changes though if there's obviously story NPCs that are meant to fight alongside you. The first two bosses of this DLC feel like they were made to be co-op'd and the NPCs given to you do a good job of at least pulling aggro and surviving a while.

In NG+ or new runs I always summon because it's fun. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Maybe it's just my weird rationalizing and acknowledgment that I don't have infinite time to play games but when it comes to Souls bosses my process is:
- Attempt the boss by myself at least a few times
- If it's unfun or I feel like I don't have a chance I look for NPC summons
- If they don't work then I bring in phantoms

This changes though if there's obviously story NPCs that are meant to fight alongside you. The first two bosses of this DLC feel like they were made to be co-op'd and the NPCs given to you do a good job of at least pulling aggro and surviving a while.

In NG+ or new runs I always summon because it's fun. :colbert:

This is pretty close to what I do too. And really, who could resist using Patches as summon?